Quantcast

Slavery in E. Africa

AsmaraDreamz

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
8,315 829 1,046
Alleybux
I was watching a youtube video on Zanzibar and they are talking about past slavery of the black population by Arab invaders. I didn't know this, can you'll give me more insight. I am talking about straight-up CHAINS and sheet.

priestess

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
30,609 2,209 452
Alleybux
Omanis colonized Tanzania for a long time. I did read that the Arab population was small in Tanzania/Zanzibar and that most have intermarried with the locals.

You also have many Omanis who are (partially) of African descent. That’s why you find many Swahili influenced in Oman, as in clothes, music, food, textiles etc.

TheSauce

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
3,514 89 29
Alleybux
Zanzibar was an important stop on the spice trading routes between Asia and Africa for a thousand years and has an amazing history and culture. Before and through the Middle Ages and into modern times, it was ruled by Swahili people, and Arabs from C17th, who developed the slave trade.

I couldn't watch this video though; for this guy history started with European rule in 16th century - like nothing before that was worth mentioning... :cry:

priestess

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
30,609 2,209 452
Alleybux
Zanzibar was an important stop on the spice trading routes between Asia and Africa for a thousand years and has an amazing history and culture. Before and through the Middle Ages and into modern times, it was ruled by Swahili people, and Arabs from C17th, who developed the slave trade.

I couldn't watch this video though; for this guy history started with European rule in 16th century - like nothing before that was worth mentioning... :cry:
That’s what they do love to do: inserting themselves in other people’s history and trying to take credit for their inventions.

TheZoilist

─── ⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅ ───
Reaction score
Reactions
31,398 839 156
Alleybux
Yep that’s my part of africa, my home town has a tree where they used to chain up people before they were sold. It was the generation before her, but my grandmother used to tell me stories of how Zanzibari Slave traders use to come for people and if people didn’t run away fast enough they’d never be seen again :(

I didn’t make a connection until i got older that this is where the african diaspora in a lot of arab countries comes from as well; they’re kin

Also it was so recent people can name specific traders in a lot of cases, e.g tippu tip is REALLY infamous for his slaving

I don’t know how it was for other groups, but my ethnic group was devastated by both this and the transatlantic slave trade (via Angola), it caused the collapse our empire. I don’t doubt some people within our tribe were complicit however :(

Amuro

Kiryu's wife
Reaction score
Reactions
26,251 480 95
Alleybux
Afro Iraqis are descendants of enslaved Zanj people.

Heres a short video if you are more interested.

TangerYanger

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
5,925 540 297
Alleybux
the Arab slave trade was mostly on the eastern half of Africa while the Trans-Atlantic (i.e. North and South American) slave trade was mostly west African. One of the reasons why America has a lot of descendants of slaves while the Arab world/middle east doesn't is because they castrated their slaves whereas the US for example relied on slaves to have children for the chattel form.

TheSauce

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
3,514 89 29
Alleybux
Was trying to find a better documentary on Zanzibar. Couldn't, but came across this series exploring the trade routes.

It looks pretty good, factual & accurate and from an African perspective also. Going to put some time aside to watch them:

Part 1:Slavery Routes 1
Part 2: Slavery Routes 2
Part 3: Slavery Routes 3
Part 4:Slavery Routes 4

According to the blurb, part 4 features the history of Zanzibar.

AsmaraDreamz

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
8,315 829 1,046
Alleybux

Shaneyahoo

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
3,716 311 473
Alleybux
Off-topic but big up to the Maasai, Swahilis and Omanis were scared of them and did everything they could to avoid em because they didn't put with slavery and the other bµllsh!t. Also you all are failing to see a pattern in history...

jackieup

trying not to comment
Reaction score
Reactions
51,554 2,116 1,290
Alleybux

PalavaxSauce

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
18,557 1,490 495
Alleybux
Yep that’s my part of africa, my home town has a tree where they used to chain up people before they were sold. It was the generation before her, but my grandmother used to tell me stories of how Zanzibari Slave traders use to come for people and if people didn’t run away fast enough they’d never be seen again :(

I didn’t make a connection until i got older that this is where the african diaspora in a lot of arab countries comes from as well; they’re kin

Also it was so recent people can name specific traders in a lot of cases, e.g tippu tip is REALLY infamous for his slaving

I don’t know how it was for other groups, but my ethnic group was devastated by both this and the transatlantic slave trade (via Angola), it caused the collapse our empire. I don’t doubt some people within our tribe were complicit however :(
What group are you from? That's crazy to get it from both sides. The repeated and prolonged slave trades to industrialize other places really destabilized Africa.

PalavaxSauce

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
18,557 1,490 495
Alleybux
Off-topic but big up to the Maasai, Swahilis and Omanis were scared of them and did everything they could to avoid em because they didn't put with slavery and the other bµllsh!t. Also you all are failing to see a pattern in history...
I'm not failing to see the pattern. Sometimes I feel our peoples don't want to see the pattern. I pray that our young leaders make a change like the pivotal leaders in Asia and Europe.

Authenticbae

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
24,476 1,996 342
Alleybux
Afro Iraqis are descendants of enslaved Zanj people.

Heres a short video if you are more interested.

Very interesting.. crazy the affect on diasporan minorities

Sorry not to deflect, but whois the asian guy in your signature ??

PalavaxSauce

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
18,557 1,490 495
Alleybux
I don't know if you call it pastoralist might, cushite fervor or what, but I love how the Horners and their cousins are not afraid to fight to the death if need be. I don't like their anti-Bantu/black crap but you have to give them all the praise for giving foreigners that smoke when need be.

Last edited:

Shaneyahoo

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
3,716 311 473
Alleybux
I don't know if you call it pastoralist might, cushite fervor or what, but I love how the Horners and their cousins are not afraid to fight to the death if need be. I don't like their anti-Bantu/black crap but you have to give them all the praise for giving foreigners that smoke when need be.
Every part of what you said. Nomads in general are less tolerant of bµllsh!t, horners, southern africans, and even nilotes. Very respectable in this area since they have historically put up nasty fights.

Chaotic Good

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
22,183 307 129
Alleybux

Huh? The Omani Arabs and Swahilis were participants of the slave trade.

Mwafrika Mrembo

Hater of GIFs, Emojis and TextSpeak
Reaction score
Reactions
18,736 166 39
Alleybux
Bagamoyo........that is the most heart wrenching place and name. I cannot imagine the despair knowing it was the point of no return for those enslaved.

(Baga from the word bwaga - to throw away or drop and moyo=heart/soul So in effect, drop your soul, the sigh they must have uttered.)

Last edited:

Ms Vandross

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
184,561 15,255 8,202
Alleybux
What is the pattern?

Libertarian

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
201 22 98
Alleybux
When the Industrial Revolution took hold in Europe and firearms were developed as a result of the machinery of that revolution, that was the beginning of misfortune for many Africans, especially the sedentary communities. The Africans had no access to the new weapons that slave traders were bringing to the field, and it has resulted many Africans being captured and sold into slavery.

The fate that the indigenous peoples in North America, South America and the Caribbean suffered can also be understood in this context. The Europeans were bringing in more advanced weapons compare to the arrows and boas that the indigenous people were using in order to defend themselves.

The scars of each tragedy that took place in each continent is still with us today.

PalavaxSauce

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
18,557 1,490 495
Alleybux
When the Industrial Revolution took hold in Europe and firearms were developed as a result of the machinery of that revolution, that was the beginning of misfortune for many Africans, especially the sedentary communities. The Africans had no access to the new weapons that slave traders were bringing to the field, and it has resulted many Africans being captured and sold into slavery.

The fate that the indigenous peoples in North America, South America and the Caribbean suffered can also be understood in this context. The Europeans were bringing in more advanced weapons compare to the arrows and boas that the indigenous people were using in order to defend themselves.

The scars of each tragedy that took place in each continent is still with us today.
That's one reason but not the main reason Africa and the Americas "lost". The main reason are the break down of centralized federations/empires (e.g. the Mali empire in Upper Guinea), and that many of our leaders and respected men bought into their triangular trade that helped fund their colonization/imperialization at the loss of millions of able bodied Africans, and biological warfare/medical advancements that allowed them to penetrate deeper in Africa without dying to disease. Then came the maxim gun and repeater rifle and such which was the nail in the coffin. More minor I would say is their missionary, evangelical pursuits; and the lack of scope from feuding African kingdoms not understanding turmoil in the region destabilized many people.

Libertarian

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
201 22 98
Alleybux
That's one reason but not the main reason Africa and the Americas "lost". The main reason are the break down of centralized federations/empires (e.g. the Mali empire in Upper Guinea), and that many of our leaders and respected men bought into their triangular trade that helped fund their colonization/imperialization at the loss of millions of able bodied Africans, and biological warfare/medical advancements that allowed them to penetrate deeper in Africa without dying to disease. Then came the maxim gun and repeater rifle and such which was the nail in the coffin. More minor I would say is their missionary, evangelical pursuits; and the lack of scope from feuding African kingdoms not understanding turmoil in the region destabilized many people.

In South America, the Incas had a strong empire that initially resisted the Spanish invaders. What made all of the difference to the Spaniards' favor was the firearms, especially the rifle.

In Africa, particularly prosperous regions in East Africa, the people, at the time, had an abundance of nature-provided wealth. When Europeans and Middle Eastern explorers came, they stated in their writings if the would've been paradise or heaven on earth, it would've been here. Unfortunately, such an abundance of readily available resources and our people's tribal nature had limited our people from forming the kind of empires that could rival Europeans or, at least, came to the assistance of their fellow Africans who were being subjugated at the time. It was each tribe or clan to his (or her) own.

The slave traders exploited our internal conflicts. To subdue any kingdom that resisted their domination, they would set a rival kingdom by providing gifts and a few guns to the kings of the other 'friendly' kingdom or chieftain. In return, their friendlier kingdoms would wage war on behalf of the slave traders.

And when the slave traders left in the 1960s, what had they left behind? A divided continent whose member states are waging war and conflicts on those fake borders. But in reality, the divide and rule is still with us. Name one resource-rich African nation and see for yourself how other neighboring African nations are still being used by Western powers against that resource-rich nation. Let us not forget our predicament started with European colonialists. Even the Arab-led slave in East Africa had its roots in Europe since, at the time, it was the Portuguese who were using them (Omanis) as a proxy.

Last edited:

PalavaxSauce

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
18,557 1,490 495
Alleybux
In South America, the Incas had a strong empire that initially resisted the Spanish invaders. What made all of the difference to the Spaniards' favor was the firearms, especially the rifle.

In Africa, particularly prosperous regions in East Africa, the people, at the time, had an abundance of nature-provided wealth. When Europeans and Middle Eastern explorers came, they stated in their writings if the would've been paradise or heaven on earth, it would've been here. Unfortunately, such an abundance of readily available resources and our people's tribal nature had limited our people from forming the kind of empires that could rival Europeans or, at least, came to the assistance of their fellow Africans who were being subjugated at the time. It was each tribe or clan to his (or her) own.

The slave traders exploited our internal conflicts. To subdue any kingdom that resisted their domination, they would set a rival kingdom by providing gifts and a few guns to the kings of the other 'friendly' kingdom or chieftain. In return, their friendlier kingdoms would wage war on behalf of the slave traders.

And when the slave traders left in the 1960s, what had they left behind? A divided continent whose member states are waging war and conflicts on those fake borders. But in reality, the divide and rule is still with us. Name one resource-rich African nation and see for yourself how other neighboring African nations are still being used Western powers against the resource-rich nation. Let us not forget our predicament started with European colonialists. Even the Arab-led slave in East Africa had its roots in Europe since, at the time, it was the Portuguese who were using them (Omanis) as a proxy.
Tell me more about the Portuguese and Omanis. Is this the Indian Ocean slave trade. I need to learn more about the trans-Saharan and Indian Ocean slave trade. There's too much trafficking of african bodies to build up other peoples homes, continents over the centuries.

Libertarian

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
201 22 98
Alleybux
Tell me more about the Portuguese and Omanis. Is this the Indian Ocean slave trade. I need to learn more about the trans-Saharan and Indian Ocean slave trade. There's too much trafficking of african bodies to build up other peoples homes, continents over the centuries.

Yup it was about Indian Ocean slave trade.