Quantcast

So I went to an all white church and....

housewifeWHO

Practicing Bitchalisims since 2008!
Reaction score
Reactions
11,964 2
Alleybux
Saturday my husband says were going to so-in-so's church, I'm like OK she's white and it's a Fellowship Baptist church. No biggie for me. We walk up; nice big church, one usher is a black man out of about 6 Usher (all looking like ex-cops). Inside I expected a "mixed congratulation" NOPE. it was like 50 to every 1 black person. so there was 3 of us = the usher, a woman in the choir and us. There seemed to be no other races, not a Spanish person.. shoot not even an olive skinned person like Italian. Cracked me up. I wasn't at my most comfortable place in my head but I was alright.
Fortunately the word was pretty good...

Now my husband always seems so comfy 150k white people and all...
I talked to him after service he was actin up like me. lol
OMG he says nobody was even dark they were white white lol
He says the lady in front of him turned around and did a double take (I didn't see this).

But all in all everyone was friendly and some too friendly - the pastor....
My husband took a little offense at the "If you need anything, anything at all where here..." comment from pastor Mike. He had that please come join our church I have a quota to meet look in his eyes.... Our jokes extended to "you know when we walked in, pastor Mike's fellowship pager went off".

Seriously we know we need Jesus. lol
We normally go to my daughters Godmama's church - nearly all black holiness church.

Vinyl Poet

Boom Booms
Reaction score
Reactions
3,362 29 1
Alleybux
i've been to all white churches as a visitor. just a totally different experience. especially for someone who attends a holiness/penecostal/COGIC church.

to each.his or her own.

S M A L L Z.

<span style="font-weight: bold;font-family: Times
Reaction score
Reactions
127,716 72 10
Alleybux
Lol funny funny..as long as it was nice and no racism took place but I would prefer a mostly black church aswell.

JuNgLe.JuiCe

i DoNt SmoKe No Mo.
Reaction score
Reactions
4,946 1 3
Alleybux
i love goin to white people chuuuch! you only be in there for like an hour!

Pandoras Box

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
60,288 1,932 2,340
Alleybux
Housewife how do you think white people feel when they visit black churches? particularly holiness,penecostal or AME churches? from what i have been told, they feel the same. so my next question is did you expect it to be any different?

Elzzip

Team Owner
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
15,948 9 17
Alleybux
I actually know how you feel. Mrs P is Christian and I am Buddhist. The church she goes too is a mixture of Korean, Chinese, and other Asian groups. Here I come.........black as eva lol....

......I don't know if I feel strange cuz I'm in a church or cuz I'm not Christian.

I will say this, we go to church with my family back in KY......and she says she doesn't feel out of place at all. I don't know if it is the same feeling the other way around.

PaRrIs

Angela Davis

General Manager
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
41,214 520 66
Alleybux
Yep. My family used to go to a white church. Service started promptly at 8 am. By 8:50 service was over and we were all outside in the courtyard having doughnuts and coffee. By 9:15 my family would be back at home...it was great lol.

Housewife how do you think white people feel when they visit black churches? particularly holiness,penecostal or AME churches? from what i have been told, they feel the same. so my next question is did you expect it to be any different?

My dad was a chaplain in the Air Force and he was always over the gospel services (the "black" services"). Well, he was deployed and a white chaplain was sent in as my dad's substitute. During service a bunch of people caught the Holy Ghost; people were shouting, speaking in tongues...one lady was running up and down the aisles, while her husband was rolling across the floor. The entire time the white chaplain was sitting frozen in his chair, wide-eyed. I think he was scared. When my dad came back from his deployment the white chaplain apologized saying, "I'm sorry I let things get so out of hand. I just didn't know what to do." LOL.

kaydee

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
10,664 8 3
Alleybux
the church we attend is a majority white church. there is a good mixture of blacks though. what i love is the service is not long, we go in at 9:30 out at 11:15. their dress code is so much more relaxed than other churches plus they really give back to the community. Plus the word is great. i think a good sermon transcends (sp) any race, IMO

T.O.P

The best at being me...
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
14,327 13 12
Alleybux
I bet you enjoyed service starting on time and getting out an hour or so later! :laugh:

trixydixy

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
31,701 812 134
Alleybux

I am Roman Catholic and we were done within the hour! Some of the old ladies would let the priest know if he took too long with the sermon and had church go over an hour. lol

Hope For Hoes

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
61,678 700 600
Alleybux
My dad was a chaplain in the Air Force and he was always over the gospel services (the "black" services"). Well, he was deployed and a white chaplain was sent in as my dad's substitute. During service a bunch of people caught the Holy Ghost; people were shouting, speaking in tongues...one lady was running up and down the aisles, while her husband was rolling across the floor. The entire time the white chaplain was sitting frozen in his chair, wide-eyed. I think he was scared. When my dad came back from his deployment the white chaplain apologized saying, "I'm sorry I let things get so out of hand. I just didn't know what to do." LOL.

:giggle:

Vaughn

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
5,318 1 2
Alleybux
Yep. My family used to go to a white church. Service started promptly at 8 am. By 8:50 service was over and we were all outside in the courtyard having doughnuts and coffee. By 9:15 my family would be back at home...it was great lol.

You think the church is going to clean itself?

rotf, thinking about those church janitors!

HongKongho

ZhangZiyisho
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
155,662 6,270 6,563
Alleybux
I went to a Pentecostal church

Wasn't my thing, I should have stayed home that talking in tongues was not the business for me

I wanna go to this Greek Orthodox church on Forsythe

I don't feel out of place at all at white churches

Might have a problem at a black church

Black church people to touchy-feely pulling your collar down if I wanted my collar down I'd pull it down myself QUIT TOUCHING ME

Then they noisy, messy, talk sh!t

that's why I don't go

I'll rather burn in Hell

housewifeWHO

Reaction score
Reactions
11,964 2
Alleybux

lol I thought it was a mixed congregation I didn't know it was really like all white.
and the answer the question specifically: I get the feeling were more welcoming... like genuinely. I mean we received lots of hand shakes and come again but a few of them seemed very fake. I didn't care about that them being fake - just stating that's how they came off.

It wasn't my 1st time ever being at a church that is predominately white, it's just been a long long time.

Nyflygrl

MVP
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
641 2 1
Alleybux
Its funny, because I've attend all white churches and I always wished that I could sing, a powerful gospel song like "God is trying to tell you something" from the color purple. The Choir usually puts me right to sleep its not as lively like in a gospel church. I've even attended a spanish mass, and they have a little soul clap going on during the mass.

jadillac1181

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
4,585 1 1
Alleybux
I guess I grew up in mostly white churches because I grew up Catholic. But when I older and began going to my own church, I became more cognizant of it.

Pandoras Box

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
60,288 1,932 2,340
Alleybux
lol I thought it was a mixed congregation I didn't know it was really like all white.
and the answer the question specifically: I get the feeling were more welcoming... like genuinely. I mean we received lots of hand shakes and come again but a few of them seemed very fake. I didn't care about that them being fake - just stating that's how they came off.

It wasn't my 1st time ever being at a church that is predominately white, it's just been a long long time.

got ya. :smile:

i was raised in an all black church that had inter faith services on a regular. we made a point of worshiping with white congregations. and to me, they were always welcoming. guess it just depends on the church.

now where i have noticed a difference is churches with predominately black congregations and all white leadership. the leadership just seems real stand offish. even the catholic church i go to sometimes now. all black church, older white priest and he seems like he just doesnt want to be there.

Cocaine

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
14,845 6 6
Alleybux
When I was about 18 years old, my mom and I left the church I grew up in (COGIC) and she started going to this all white church and made me come with her. I HATED it. Something about the lack of soul stirring music and sermons just made me feell like I wa sitting through the taping of a "Clear Eyes" commercial. Completely monotonous.

I despised everything about the church except the duration of the services and the fact that they were always feeding us before and after service. We usually had donuts with juice and coffee in the morning and, if you wanted, snacks and sandwiches afterwards. And if church started at 10am, we were at home by 11:15.

I'm a singer and white choirs just don't do a thing for me.

Give me my Baptist/Pentecostal churches any old Sunday. Shouting, singing, tongue talking, running around the curch doing laps, falling out. Lawd, I love it. I'd never change churches again.

authentic

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
4,865 1
Alleybux
When I was about 18 years old, my mom and I left the church I grew up in (COGIC) and she started going to this all white church and made me come with her. I HATED it. Something about the lack of soul stirring music and sermons just made me feell like I wa sitting through the taping of a "Clear Eyes" commercial. Completely monotonous.

I despised everything about the church except the duration of the services and the fact that they were always feeding us before and after service. We usually had donuts with juice and coffee in the morning and, if you wanted, snacks and sandwiches afterwards. And if church started at 10am, we were at home by 11:15.

Give me my Baptist/Pentecostal churches any old Sunday. Shouting, singing, tongue talking, running around the curch doing laps, falling out. Lawd, I love it. I'd never change churches again.

I'm just curious. What if the truth is being preached? Does it matter how they sing or what food is being offered?

Reaction score
Reactions
769 71 71
Alleybux
Hi housewifeWHO-

I don't think you ever mentioned the sermon. Were you fed? Did you learn something. If not, you might want to visit another church. What is it that you want out of a church? Do you just want to hear the sermon and then go home? Or do you want to fellowship and participate in church activities?

Growing up, I went to a church that I didn't like including the pastor. I didn't feel anything. I didn't grow. Can you grow in this church?

I have been to several white churches. I was received warmly. However, I live in the south and I have had one cousin who went to an all white church and they ran her out of there with intimidating looks and stares. Some Christians huh?

I do like worshipping with people of different races. That's how it's going to be in heaven---right?

Team Owner
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
7,581 5 25
Alleybux
I always attended all white churches until I was a teen. Service started promptly at 11:00 and that bish would be over 12:00. Now I attend an all black church and services on the average is 4 hours. The first part of your day is pretty much gone.

Vaughn

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
5,318 1 2
Alleybux
I'm just curious. What if the truth is being preached? Does it matter how they sing or what food is being offered?
It's funny how statements trigger thoughts, that statement that you made made me think of this scripture.

Pro 23:23 Buy the truth, and sell [it] not; [also] wisdom, and instruction, and understanding.

In the grand scheme of things, attendance isn't taken or weighed as high as the matters of the heart.

A. Do you spend quality time searching out God or the attributes of God?
B. Is fellowship important to you (can you stand to be around God's people?)?
C. Would you rather be somewhere else when you are at church?

If so you might be wasting everybodies time by showing up.

Back on topic, I don't mind who I worship with, if they're willing to embrace you as being different from them, we've all got our own styles.

I guess that's why there are so many nationalities, while thinking that God likes variety as well.

Cocaine

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
14,845 6 6
Alleybux

For me personally, becasue I'm a person who is moved by music, the praise and worship hour is VERY important to me. I need to be able to feel the songs being sung. At the all white church I attended there just was never any movement of the Holy Spirit. Church seemed to be like a regular work day. I believe that when I attend a church service, I'm supposed to leave feeling better than when I came. I never experienced that at the all white church. And I attended that church for about 3 years so I think I was there long enough to come to that conclusion.

As far as the sermons, sometimes they were good and sometimes it was like watching a Clear Eyes commercial, as stated before. It just didn't move ME. It may have worked for the three other black people that attended the church, but not ME. I needed more than what they offered. My spirit needed more than what was given and I found myself NOT wanting to go to church as opposed to being excited about it.

So, when I found the church I attend NOW and realized I was getting just what I needed, I made it my church home. I can praise during the Praise and Worship segment and sing songs that I know, I can stand up and wave my hands, cry, etc. when the pastor is preaching, and most importantly, I am alert enough and thirsty enough for the word to commit the sermon to memory and apply it to my life. I am excited to be at church on Sundays and Wednesdays. I'm excited to take my notes and praise God in a manner that's comfortable to me.

So, to answer your question, no. It would not have mattered at the time whether the word was being preached because, regardless, it wasn't reaching my spirit. It wasn't making a difference in my life because I didn't identify with how things were done.

Vaughn

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
5,318 1 2
Alleybux
For me personally, becasue I'm a person who is moved by music, the praise and worship hour is VERY important to me. I need to be able to feel the songs being sung. At the all white church I attended there just was never any movement of the Holy Spirit. Church seemed to be like a regular work day. I believe that when I attend a church service, I'm supposed to leave feeling better than when I came. I never experienced that at the all white church. And I attended that church for about 3 years so I think I was there long enough to come to that conclusion.

As far as the sermons, sometimes they were good and sometimes it was like watching a Clear Eyes commercial, as stated before. It just didn't move ME. It may have worked for the three other black people that attended the church, but not ME. I needed more than what they offered. My spirit needed more than what was given and I found myself NOT wanting to go to church as opposed to being excited about it.

So, when I found the church I attend NOW and realized I was getting just what I needed, I made it my church home. I can praise during the Praise and Worship segment and sing songs that I know, I can stand up and wave my hands, cry, etc. when the pastor is preaching, and most importantly, I am alert enough and thirsty enough for the word to commit the sermon to memory and apply it to my life. I am excited to be at church on Sundays and Wednesdays. I'm excited to take my notes and praise God in a manner that's comfortable to me.

So, to answer your question, no. It would not have mattered at the time whether the word was being preached because, regardless, it wasn't reaching my spirit. It wasn't making a difference in my life because I didn't identify with how things were done.

Sounds like the monotone doesn't excite you

Ben Stein - Clear Eyes commercial

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcH-3d-BZn4"]YouTube - Ben Stein - Clear Eyes commercial[/ame]

Kuro Ninja

General Manager
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
5,711 5 13
Alleybux
I break into sweats when I'm around that many white people. I just do...Im very suspicious of them I dont care if they go to church.

Those the main mofos that will get in your ass. White people make me nervous.

patsgirl531

debutante
Reaction score
Reactions
14,394 16 7
Alleybux
I break into sweats when I'm around that many white people. I just do...Im very suspicious of them I dont care if they go to church.

Those the main mofos that will get in your ass. White people make me nervous.
Can someone take his computer please!!! Your nutty ass is on a roll !! :go-away:

veman96054

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
20,534 184 115
Alleybux

Evertime I see a white person in the churches I attend, mainly Baptist.

They have a good time. Clapping singing, dancing (I mean shouting)

I do not like going to a white church.

Can't get with white preachers.

housewifeWHO

Reaction score
Reactions
11,964 2
Alleybux
I can get with white preachers and teachers - not my prob. my prob sunday was all the pale faces.... all 150-200 of them.... eeeeek!

opendoor

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
WOW ... too many racist comments with no substance on this thread :(

blkmyrrhmade

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
28,884 641 33
Alleybux

Amen to that! I would like to visit a white church, just to experience it, but there is nothing like a baptist church!

DestinysLady

<span style="color: purple;"><span style="color: p
Reaction score
Reactions
5,644 2
Alleybux
WOW ... too many racist comments with no substance on this thread :(

I am an African American who grew up in the Pentecostal church. As with most people I more comfortable where I am more familiar. But that does not mean that the Spirit of God was more present. I have been to predominantly White churches where the presence of God was so strong that you could be healed and delivered from anything right then and there. Conversely, I have been to predominantly Black churches where the spirit was as dry as melba toast. And oh yes, I have been to the white churches that were like masoleums and I have been to the black churches that would set your soul on fire. But at the end of the day, when the Holy Spirit is present COLOR does not matter!

On a real personal note, my most awesome church experience was when I attended a Multicultural Church. There were people of every color and more ethnicities then I can name. The pastor taught us not to be blind to our differences. He emphasized that because of Jesus Christ we are very much the same!:angel:

reach$20the$20world.gif

Intimacy

Heaven, Moon and Stars
Reaction score
Reactions
470,964 7,773 1,020
Alleybux
Hilarious my cousin used to go to this stadium like church that was all White except for the choir. As soon as we walked in all eyes were on us and I just felt like we couldn't leave fast enough.

I prefer my Black churches as do my friends who are not Black. My family is from the deep South so I am used to a certain flair, style, and image of the church. My grandmother raised me Pentecostal so to me sitting in a White church doesn't sit well with me

Informative

<span style="font-family: Bold;color: yellow;"><sp
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
9,048 40 62
Alleybux
I need to visit a white church. I read they're real serious with their sermons, they're bible base and helps you out when in need.

GaryV

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
13,730 3
Alleybux
But at the end of the day, when the Holy Spirit is present COLOR does not matter!

On a real personal note, my most awesome church experience was when I attended a Multicultural Church. There were people of every color and more ethnicities then I can name. The pastor taught us not to be blind to our differences. He emphasized that because of Jesus Christ we are very much the same!:angel:

reach$20the$20world.gif

Thank you for this Sister.