Quantcast

Social Workers, I need advice/help

circadian93

Michael "Cakesoap" Jackson
Reaction score
Reactions
56,250 1,896 499
Alleybux
I work in foster care and I have a client that I need to refer to services. She is bipolar/schizoaffective and has a cognitive delay. I tried to refer her to traditional therapy/counseling but her therapist said that it wasn't working. My client lacks self awareness and can't really comprehensively understand why her child was put into foster care (mental illness and DV with bf) . The therapist suggested I refer to an opwdd clinic, which is a clinic for developmental disabilities. It's HELL trying to get into contact with these clinics...no one answers the phone.

I was wondering if there are any alternatives for a client like mines. I'm not sure where to refer her but she needs mental health counseling that she can comprehend.

B00BooKeyS

Shut up
Reaction score
Reactions
79,490 1,913 432
Alleybux
Are there any inpatient clinics in your area that have beds available? If traditional therapy ( and I assume medication as well) doesn’t work out then maybe she needs a more intensive method plus a change of medication.

Im currently an MSW student so take my opinion with a grain of salt LMAO but my sister is schizophrenic , so the only way to really get her situated and taken care of, was to send her to a group home

jus4u29

Starter
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
924 40 10
Alleybux
I work in foster care and I have a client that I need to refer to services. She is bipolar/schizoaffective and has a cognitive delay. I tried to refer her to traditional therapy/counseling but her therapist said that it wasn't working. My client lacks self awareness and can't really comprehensively understand why her child was put into foster care (mental illness and DV with bf) . The therapist suggested I refer to an opwdd clinic, which is a clinic for developmental disabilities. It's HELL trying to get into contact with these clinics...no one answers the phone.

I was wondering if there are any alternatives for a client like mines. I'm not sure where to refer her but she needs mental health counseling that she can comprehend.
The therapist should be able to provide referrals if he/she are unable to provide services.

circadian93

Reaction score
Reactions
56,250 1,896 499
Alleybux
Are there any inpatient clinics in your area that have beds available? If traditional therapy ( and I assume medication as well) doesn’t work out then maybe she needs a more intensive method plus a change of medication.

Im currently an MSW student so take my opinion with a grain of salt LMAO but my sister is schizophrenic , so the only way to really get her situated and taken care of, was to send her to a group home

See the thing is she is already in a facility for people with mental health issues but they only provide her with medication management and housing no counseling...its weird.

circadian93

Reaction score
Reactions
56,250 1,896 499
Alleybux
The therapist should be able to provide referrals if he/she are unable to provide services.

She did but I have to go through the office of my state first to see if she's eligible and they dont answer the damn phone lol

B00BooKeyS

Shut up
Reaction score
Reactions
79,490 1,913 432
Alleybux
See the thing is she is already in a facility for people with mental health issues but they only provide her with medication management and housing no counseling...its weird.
Have you looked into why there’s no counseling? That is weird. Maybe that’s the missing link for her, because there’s no follow up on that?

circadian93

Reaction score
Reactions
56,250 1,896 499
Alleybux
Have you looked into why there’s no counseling? That is weird. Maybe that’s the missing link for her, because there’s no follow up on that?

The program only offers supportive housing

HeartONice

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
4,876 144 107
Alleybux
Have you referred her to psychiatrist eval? How do you know diagnosis? Does she have psychiatrist she sees? Surely they can make recommendations

DZbornak

I’m not patronizing you, I’m a-mocking you
Reaction score
Reactions
152,846 5,367 1,568
Alleybux

How old is your client?

circadian93

Reaction score
Reactions
56,250 1,896 499
Alleybux
Have you referred her to psychiatrist eval? How do you know diagnosis? Does she have psychiatrist she sees? Surely they can make recommendations

I got her diagnosis from her psychiatric records. I've been trying to get into contact with her ACT team for the longest to no avail.

You think I should enroll her in regular parenting classes?

HeartONice

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
4,876 144 107
Alleybux
Parenting classes are definitely needed try and find the best program to meet her needs
Maybe even a group for domestic violence victims

A psychiatrist can probably provide the individual therapy she needs. Maybe ask if they have experience working with delays but someone can provide her services.

If act team is with state and you are with state have higher ups step in to assist

do all you can but she may still not understand her actions that lead her child coming into foster care

Priveleged

Yeah I know
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
16,591 1,532 2,645
Alleybux

Update: nevermind. She’s already in ACT. Refer her to another ACT provider or hold a treatment team meeting to get more input from people who know her snd community resources best.

see if you can get a care coordinator involved.

I’m in the nursing field. See if there’s a service called ACT. It’s a wrap around service for adults with schizophrenia. Bigger agencies usually have this service.