Quantcast

Songwriter and Grammy winner musician Dave Frishberg who penned the iconic song I'm Just a Bill has died at 88

Freja

Team Owner
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
659,160 274,755 8,222
Alleybux

Schoolhouse Rock! songwriter and musician Dave Frishberg has died at 88 ... had penned the iconic song I'm Just a Bill​

Schoolhouse Rock! songwriter and musician Dave Frishberg, who wrote the iconic song I'm Just a Bill, died at 88 Wednesday in Portland, Oregon.

The jazz musician's wife April Magnusson confirmed Frishberg's passing to The New York Times on Thursday.

Frishberg had his first song published in 1962, titled Peel Me a Grape, and worked with Gene Kelly on The Funny Side, a variety show on NBC, in 1971 after he had relocated to Los Angeles.

The latest: Schoolhouse Rock! songwriter and musician Dave Frishberg, who wrote the iconic song I'm Just a Bill, died at 88 Wednesday in Portland, Oregon. He was snapped in 1998 in San Francisco

The latest: Schoolhouse Rock! songwriter and musician Dave Frishberg, who wrote the iconic song I'm Just a Bill, died at 88 Wednesday in Portland, Oregon. He was snapped in 1998 in San Francisco

In his work on Schoolhouse Rock! for ABC, I'm Just a Bill debuted in the program's third season, which described the country's legislative process. The song was sung by Jack Sheldon, a trumpeter.

In the wake of his Schoolhouse Rock! work, he put out albums The Dave Frishberg Songbook, Volume No. 1, which was nominated for a Grammy in 1982.

He was also nominated for Grammys for the second volume of the album, as well as Live at Vine Street in 1985 and Can't Take You Nowhere in 1987.

Other notable songs he wrote included I’m Hip, My Attorney Bernie, Do You Miss New York?, Sweet Kentucky Ham and Van Lingle Mungo.

The jazz musician's wife April Magnusson confirmed Frishberg's passing to The New York Times on Thursday. He was seen playing in his native Portland in 2009

The jazz musician's wife April Magnusson confirmed Frishberg's passing to The New York Times on Thursday. He was seen playing in his native Portland in 2009

In his work on Schoolhouse Rock! for ABC, I'm Just a Bill debuted in the program's third season, which described the country's legislative process

In his work on Schoolhouse Rock! for ABC, I'm Just a Bill debuted in the program's third season, which described the country's legislative process

The catchy song was sung by Jack Sheldon, a trumpeter

The catchy song was sung by Jack Sheldon, a trumpeter

Frishberg was born March 23, 1933 in St. Paul, Minnesota to parents Harry and Sarah Frishberg, according to the paper. During his childhood, he showed an interest in illustrating and jazz and blues music, the latter inspired by his brother Mort, the paper reported.

In his 2017 book My Dear Departed Past, Frishberg recalled his early fondness for jazz practitioners.

He said, 'Jazz musicians were hip, they were funny, they were sensitive, they were clannish, and they seemed to have the best girlfriends.'

Frishberg relocated from Los Angeles to Portland in 1986, and often worked with vocalist Rebecca Kilgore, according to the paper.

Frishberg is survived by Magnusson, his wife of more than two decades, and his two sons.

50682497-10219097-image-a-16_1637278278314.jpg

50682503-10219097-image-a-14_1637278257978.jpg

Frishberg was remembered on Twitter amid news of his passing

Frishberg was remembered on Twitter amid news of his passing

Musician Curtis Stigers wrote, 'The great songwriter, pianist & vocalist Dave Frishberg is gone. He was my hero & I was not only lucky to know him but had the chance to play with him & sing his songs. What a cool funny smart sad cat. We will never know another like him. Rest In Peace.'

Journalist Matthew Kassel said: 'RIP, Dave Frishberg — a wry, witty and surprisingly poignant songwriter as well as a talented bebop pianist. Underrated.'

Rep. Bill Pascrell, Jr. credited Frishberg for educating 'generations of students' with his 'brilliant' song I'm Just A Bill.

'Hopefully our passage of #BuildBackBetter will give optimism to a new generation that government can work for the people,' he added.