Quantcast

Sony Allegedly Scrambling to Launch "Gamepass" Competitor but Not Really

12Solace

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
125,601 4,416 524
Alleybux

On the Xbox Era Podcast, Shpeshal_Ed said that Playstations' answer to Xbox Game Pass won't be identical to Game Pass with a buffet of games for a monthly price, but similar and compared more to Apple One.

(Around the 60-minute mark)

Apple One for those who don't know bundles six Apple services into one subscription. Apple Music, Apple TV+, Apple Arcade, iCloud, Apple News and Apple Fitness+.

Shpeshal_Ed suggested that for Playstation, their subscription would contain Music with their Sony Music Entertainment label, Anime with Funimation, Movies with Sony Pictures Entertainment, and Gaming with either Playstation Plus or Playstation Now. He said he doesn't know which one of those two.

Shpeshal_Ed did also say that since Netflix signed a deal to put all future Sony Pictures movies after their run in theatres, this plan could change. This includes all of Playstation Studio's Films like Uncharted, Ghost of Tsushima and the rumoured Demons Souls' and Horizon.

What is happening over at Sony? They want to bundle Sony music artists, anime and PS Now into a service?

I-

Last edited:

BoredHeaux

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
117,984 4,369 1,966
Alleybux
It won't work unless they are willing to put their games in day in date.

They just closed down any type of BC w/ ps3/2/vita. They are already at a disadvantage.

Mind you gamepass also comes w/Xcloud a service that Sony just can't compete with.

Then they only plan to make one type game that take years to make. I don't think they'll be able to do it.

They should just fix PSN

Sackboy

Team Owner
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
85,026 5,324 642
Alleybux
I don't like it.

But as it stands, I am paying $120/year for the 2 gaming subscriptions.

So... if the total price can give me both gaming subscriptions PLUS movies and tv for LESS money, it may be worth it.

G A Z

Having a Smile On My Face All 2023 ʕ•́ᴥ•̀ʔっ
Reaction score
Reactions
153,708 2,861 986
Alleybux
Sony is startin to get on mi nerves. Xbox is really outdoing them in multiple aspects at this point and they bout to force me to pick up they big ass, ugly lettered controllers if push comes to shove. Sony is already gettin backlash for not only havin the PS5 as only backwards compatible with the PS4 but shuttin down the store and servers for PSP, PS3 AND PSvita. Mind you titles are actually still being made for the PSvita and devs were blind sided like the rest of us.

I still believe the PS3 had better titles than the 4 and wish the games could be playable on the new system. Nevermind the fact Sony also said they were cuttin back on funding Japanese produced games and focusing on mainly blockbusters and the western market. Which is funny cause if memory serves correctly Xbox jus stated they're gonna start collabin with Japanese devs for new titles.

12Solace

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
125,601 4,416 524
Alleybux
I don't like it.

But as it stands, I am paying $120/year for the 2 gaming subscriptions.

So... if the total price can give me both gaming subscriptions PLUS movies and tv for LESS money, it may be worth it.

Isn't it wild that one years worth of hundreds of games (Including brand new, day in date titles) cost less than buying Call of duty ($70) and Assassins Creed ($70)?

Whew. A value.

Sackboy

Team Owner
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
85,026 5,324 642
Alleybux
Isn't it wild that one years worth of hundreds of games (Including brand new, day in date titles) cost less than buying Call of duty ($70) and Assassins Creed ($70)?

Whew. A value.
They’re profiting hand over fist at this point.

AAA titles aren’t going on these subscription services until years later if ever. The only exception I can think of right now is the new MLB game coming to Game Pass.

I think most people have a gaming subscription AND ALSO still buy individual games that aren’t included. It adds up if you stop to think about it, which is why I try not to lol

BoredHeaux

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
117,984 4,369 1,966
Alleybux
They’re profiting hand over fist at this point.

AAA titles aren’t going on these subscription services until years later if ever. The only exception I can think of right now is the new MLB game coming to Game Pass.

I think most people have a gaming subscription AND ALSO still buy individual games that aren’t included. It adds up if you stop to think about it, which is why I try not to lol
Not true. Dirt 5 came 5 months later and Outriders there on day 1. EA Sports games did not take a year and they actively make deals to have new games debut on Gamepass.

Microsoft exclusives are day 1 as well.

Since getting gamepass, I have bought 2 games outside of the service. I have had it for 2 years now.

BoredHeaux

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
117,984 4,369 1,966
Alleybux
Sony is startin to get on mi nerves. Xbox is really outdoing them in multiple aspects at this point and they bout to force me to pick up they big ass, ugly lettered controllers if push comes to shove. Sony is already gettin backlash for not only havin the PS5 as only backwards compatible with the PS4 but shuttin down the store and servers for PSP, PS3 AND PSvita. Mind you titles are actually still being made for the PSvita and devs were blind sided like the rest of us.

I still believe the PS3 had better titles than the 4 and wish the games could be playable on the new system. Nevermind the fact Sony also said they were cuttin back on funding Japanese produced games and focusing on mainly blockbusters and the western market. Which is funny cause if memory serves correctly Xbox jus stated they're gonna start collabin with Japanese devs for new titles.
There are rumored collaborations w/ Kojima, Nintendo, and Sega.

TheShadowKing

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
76,801 1,174 391
Alleybux

Whew. A value.

Not true. Dirt 5 came 5 months later and Outriders there on day 1. EA Sports games did not take a year and they actively make deals to have new games debut on Gamepass.

Microsoft exclusives are day 1 as well.

Since getting gamepass, I have bought 2 games outside of the service. I have had it for 2 years now.
Listen I agree 100% I've had GamePass since it first dropped and to see what it's turned into in such a short time is truly amazing. I mean damn Microsoft is REALLY listening to consumers and it shows in what they're doing from the end of last gen to now.

I have GPU until 2023 using the lil trick that's been widely circulated online but you can also find deals that will cut the cost substantially. Considering the catalog of games from all each consoles life cycle are on there its easily the best thing in gaming right now. Jumping from playing Zero Perfect Dark to Halo Collection to Madden to Outriders to The Show later this month is incredible.

Sony isn't going to be able to match this because they clearly didn't see backwards compatibility as important last gen or this gen. Most of Sony's best titles IMO exist on the PS2 & PS3 and if you don't have those consoles then you're SOL. If they could even offer a small piece of those games via PSNow it would be substantial. Then again PSNow is and has been trash since they dropped it. It'll be interesting to see what comes of this.

East_Afriqueen

Sukuna's simp
Reaction score
Reactions
105,252 2,281 579
Alleybux

Yes. Thank God I still have my ps and ps2 3 for games that weren't remastered/remakes.

If Sony had brings back ps2 AND 3 compatibility it would be over for Microsoft. Those two era have immaculate libraries of games

maXXim

Resident Lurker
Reaction score
Reactions
47,424 1,536 808
Alleybux
Yes. Thank God I still have my ps and ps2 3 for games that weren't remastered/remakes.

If Sony had brings back ps2 AND 3 compatibility it would be over for Microsoft. Those two era have immaculate libraries of games
This. Sony completely dropped the ball by not making the PS5 backwards compatible with those older consoles.

Izaya Orihara

Chaotic Neutral Black Goddess
Reaction score
Reactions
61,504 2,341 2,054
Alleybux
There's no way they can compete with Gamepass at this point. Not only does Microsoft have compatibility with PC users but they actually gaf about backwards compatibility. The lack of this on playstation is absolutely ridiculous. As many games as PS Vita had only a few of them made it to PS4, they shut down the PS3 store as if there aren't games from that generation that people are wanting to play. It's just...ugh≥

BoredHeaux

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
117,984 4,369 1,966
Alleybux
There's no way they can compete with Gamepass at this point. Not only does Microsoft have compatibility with PC users but they actually gaf about backwards compatibility. The lack of this on playstation is absolutely ridiculous. As many games as PS Vita had only a few of them made it to PS4, they shut down the PS3 store as if there aren't games from that generation that people are wanting to play. It's just...ugh≥
They reversed their judgment on the Ps3/vita store shut down, but I still do not believe they can (or will do) backwards compact like Microsoft.

News Alley

Ask LSA

The Lounge

General Alley

Top Bottom