Quantcast

sought an extension for course work, one got denied and professor stopped responding

itsmianya

Guyanese Princess
Reaction score
Reactions
59,530 2,038 1,057
Alleybux
so i had a take home exam and an assignment due last week for this science class that is mandatory to fulfill my graduation requirements.

In canada, we have the opportunity to get 2 extensions per term for course work without needing to show documentation for reasons why the coursework could not be submitted. These extensions are only valid for course work that are worth 30% and under.

My exam was worth 30% and my assignment was 15%. i submitted my request for an extension using what we call a student reported absence and the professor denied my request for accommodation for the exam stating that since its worth 30%, it cant be covered without documentation. she emailed me on monday and i responded on the same day saying that the policy is that ANY COURSEWORK worth 30% and under is covered.

it is now thursday and I have no response from the professor. it has been almost a week since i submitted my request and i would not be able to get documentation if a week has passed without me seeing a doctor to get a doctor's note.

I emailed student support at my school yesterday to clarify the policy and got no response.

I'm just tired at this point, honestly

Lotusmoon

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
4,241 37 5
Alleybux
Contact the undergraduate adviser in that department with your concerns. I recommend being very polite and requesting clarification, then once they clarify, politely requesting assistance with resolving the issue. The Chair is another option, but only if the UGA does not respond. Best of luck!

THEDARKVIXEN

Carpe Diem
Reaction score
Reactions
374,090 8,059 3,406
Alleybux
Do you have a class with the professor or is everything online self-paced?

Can you reach out to student support in person? If I were you I would try reaching out to the professor again and if she does not respond in 24 hours go above her to the director of your program.

itsmianya

Guyanese Princess
Reaction score
Reactions
59,530 2,038 1,057
Alleybux
Do you have a class with the professor or is everything online self-paced?

Can you reach out to student support in person? If I were you I would try reaching out to the professor again and if she does not respond in 24 hours go above her to the director of your program.
the class is online and the staff at school is working from home so i would not able to go the office in person

THEDARKVIXEN

Carpe Diem
Reaction score
Reactions
374,090 8,059 3,406
Alleybux
the class is online and the staff at school is working from home so i would not able to go the office in person

Reach out to the professor one more time politely and if she does not respond, then email the director of the program and CC the dean and the professor in that email. PLEASE be respectful and polite.I can not stress that enough.

SuccessfullyMe

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
238,518 6,659 3,637
Alleybux
You used the word opportunity, which means that it can be denied. I'm confused you asked for an extension on both assignments ... or you did the assignment and asked for one on the exam.

You should contact the dean or whatever it's called in Canada. I would seek clarity on if they have to give you an extension because it seems optional vs complaining especially if you missed 2 assignments.

itsmianya

Guyanese Princess
Reaction score
Reactions
59,530 2,038 1,057
Alleybux
You used the word opportunity, which means that it can be denied. I'm confused you asked for an extension on both assignments ... or you did the assignment and asked for one on the exam.

You should contact the dean or whatever it's called in Canada. I would seek clarity on if they have to give you an extension because it seems optional vs complaining especially if you missed 2 assignments.
professors cant be deny the extension requests. i dont mean opportunity in the context that youre suggesting. i submitted one request for the assignment and the exam btw

SuccessfullyMe

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
238,518 6,659 3,637
Alleybux
professors cant be deny the extension requests. i dont mean opportunity in the context that youre suggesting. i submitted one request for the assignment and the exam btw

Have you used it before ... how long has it been since you emailed the student support person? I would send one email continue the same threa addressed to my professor about the extension and cc the student support person. I would tell her why you need the extension even if you have to lie a little bit.

itsmianya

Guyanese Princess
Reaction score
Reactions
59,530 2,038 1,057
Alleybux
Have you used it before ... how long has it been since you emailed the student support person? I would send one email continue the same threa addressed to my professor about the extension and cc the student support person. I would tell her why you need the extension even if you have to lie a little bit.
yup, i have used it before. it was implemented since i was in second year and i typically use it every academic year. this is the first time it was denied. i emailed student support only yesterday as i wanted to wait to see if the professor would have responded.

SuccessfullyMe

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
238,518 6,659 3,637
Alleybux
yup, i have used it before. it was implemented since i was in second year and i typically use it every academic year. this is the first time it was denied. i emailed student support only yesterday as i wanted to wait to see if the professor would have responded.

Ah, if it was only yesterday then I would wait til Monday.

kissmba

puttin' in werk
Reaction score
Reactions
16,929 333 218
Alleybux
Speaking as a Grad TA, I don't think you can use Student Accommodation forms for exams (at least at my institution), so I'd read the fine print. Typically for exams, you'd have to write it during the following semesters exam period, so in this case the spring/summer term, or schedule a time to write it. But I think it would be highly unusual to give students extra time on an exam if it's already been distributed, and they don't have an student accessibility/accommodation pre-established.

Also wow you're lucky, 30% is so generous! Good luck, i hope it works out! It's a stressful time

itsmianya

Guyanese Princess
Reaction score
Reactions
59,530 2,038 1,057
Alleybux
Speaking as a Grad TA, I don't think you can use Student Accommodation forms for exams (at least at my institution), so I'd read the fine print. Typically for exams, you'd have to write it during the following semesters exam period, so in this case the spring/summer term, or schedule a time to write it. But I think it would be highly unusual to give students extra time on an exam if it's already been distributed, and they don't have an student accessibility/accommodation pre-established.

Also wow you're lucky, 30% is so generous! Good luck, i hope it works out! It's a stressful time
oh really?? we can get accommodation forms for both midterms and finals. However, in this case, the extensions i was referring to can only be used for midterms and assignments, not finals.

Victoria Baker Harber

I'm not seasonal. I'm a fµck!ng timeless classic.
Reaction score
Reactions
70,601 2,255 110
Alleybux
In canada, we have the opportunity to get 2 extensions per term for course work without needing to show documentation for reasons why the coursework could not be submitted. These extensions are only valid for course work that are worth 30% and under.

Sorry, a bit off-topic, but is this a recent thing? I don't remember this policy when I was in university. Is it province-based/ dependent on whether the professor chooses to implement it in the syllabus?

I would email the program advisor/Dean about the issue. Perhaps, you might even try accessibility services and see if they can offer any advice and help clarify things if student services/support don't respond.

It must be stressful enough to go through school in these times. Hopefully, the school gets her cooperation. You have used the same policy before without any issues so fingers-crossed.

itsmianya

Guyanese Princess
Reaction score
Reactions
59,530 2,038 1,057
Alleybux
Sorry, a bit off-topic, but is this a recent thing? I don't remember this policy when I was in university. Is it province-based/ dependent on whether the professor chooses to implement it in the syllabus?

I would email the program advisor/Dean about the issue. Perhaps, you might even try accessibility services and see if they can offer any advice and help clarify things if student services/support don't respond.

It must be stressful enough to go through school in these times. Hopefully, the school gets her cooperation. You have used the same policy before without any issues so fingers-crossed.
its fairly new. been around 2 years now. its dependent on the university though, not mandated by the province and its under trial for five years i think. i will explore those options. thanks

kissmba

puttin' in werk
Reaction score
Reactions
16,929 333 218
Alleybux

I think my institution implemented this around 2011ish!

itsmianya

Guyanese Princess
Reaction score
Reactions
59,530 2,038 1,057
Alleybux
Any updates OP? How did this work out for you?
Thanks for asking . The professor ended up responding to me and rectifying the policy. She stated that since it’s a take home exam, I will be issued a new exam instead of getting an extension.

this was like two weeks ago and I am still waiting on her to send the new exam to me

kissmba

puttin' in werk
Reaction score
Reactions
16,929 333 218
Alleybux
Thanks for asking . The professor ended up responding to me and rectifying the policy. She stated that since it’s a take home exam, I will be issued a new exam instead of getting an extension.

this was like two weeks ago and I am still waiting on her to send the new exam to me

That's great, I'm glad it worked out! At least you have the extra time to study in the meantime (I hope). If it's been 2 weeks, I'd send a follow up. Good luck!