Quantcast

South African woman discusses the abuse she endured in a charismatic/prophetic church

Voets3k

Would rather be rejected than disrespected
Reaction score
Reactions
141,541 5,315 2,962
Alleybux

AmaBishop is on Moja Love(channel 157 on Dstv) every Sunday. This version of the episode is the best quality of the full episode on YouTube, even though it's still quite bad.

This a new show created with the aim to discuss the current state of South African churches, especially addressing all the controversies that have surrounded them over the last few years. On this episode, activist and founder of the Kwanele Mfundisi foundation, Sihle Sibisi shares her experience within charismatic/prophetic churches.

Cliffs:

2:12-3:30 we see an example of the manipulation of members done by the pastors in these churches, with the use of gimmicks and tricks.

Sihle's experiences from 7:25 - 15:45

- she discusses her normal mild mannered upbringing attending a normal church and how everything was fine until the new prophetic churches emerged.

- Her and her mum started attending because they had a sick family member, whom they thought would receive healing, after a friend of her mother's suggested that they attend this church... She was 15 years old around this time

- When she turned 16, the pastor/prophet/wizard/garden gnome, told her mum that Sihle is gifted and called by God, and therefore has to start living at the "Mission house" with the rest of the "chosen," her mother was also given a position in the church

- while at the mission house, her cellphone was taken away, and she was not allowed to have contact with anyone on the outside. She was so brainwashed that she never thought to run back home, even though it was so close to the mission house location

- She came to discover that only young girls stay at the mission house, they also have to undergo a mandatory HIV test, in which case the pastor/prophet/suitcase/garden gnome claimed he could heal any of the girls who had it, but obviously he was getting them tested so he could sleep with all of them. Because the girls who were HIV negative were then made to be "mistresses to the man of god"

- It was common place for girls who stay at the mission house to have to sleep with the pastor or his assistants, because serving as worshippers or ushers in the church

- She goes on to touch on fact that Pastors or prophets like the man in question and Bushiri love bomb and brainwash people into being completely dependent on them

- She reveals the fact that her foundation has received letters that this pastor, who's Zambian, is actually not welcome in his home country because of all his crimes. Which include raping children and leaving the country in a general mess, he's apparently also a deadbeat. So him and many others like himself do all sorts of nonsense to the community, but can't leave because their own countries don't want them

- This pastor or church has affected her relationship with her mother. Who refuses to see or let her or her grandkids visit because she's still in the church.

- The pastors name is Philip Banda

From 20:00-23:20

- she discusses the corruption that has been allowed to thrive within churches or religious bodies, regardless of nationality or denomination

- after she graduated from varsity and started working, she got injured and her hearing was damaged in one of her ears

- Philip Banda then suggested that the church take a trip to Nigeria and visit TB Joshua, his spiritual father

- She got in the prayer line with the placard filled out about her plight, then someone laid hands on and prayed for her. Afterwards she woke up in an unfamiliar place, wondering what happened to her, and was then told that god had called her to be an evangelist

- basically, from when the trip was planned, Philip Banda and whoever else collude to get her to Nigeria and keep her there

- she was the first South African to "serve" under TB Joshua's ministry

- she then says she saw how people who would act, were recruited and paid, how the water was "prepared" and packaged etc

Last edited:

HERR

Reaction score
Reactions
7,406 225 1
Alleybux
I was going to say something about these pastors that come to S.A and do these things to S.An women but lemme TOOL.

I hope she's at peace rn and away from all the evil she went through.

Mantsho

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
165,122 13,156 9,082
Alleybux
You like these boloyi threads modimo. They scare me. Moja life ( love) must be your channel of choice.

Ewn7E7LW8AEW9fh.jpg

AmaBishop is on Moja Love(channel 157 on Dstv) every Sunday. This version of the episode is the best quality of the full episode on YouTube, even though it's still quite bad.

This a new show created with the aim to discuss the current state of South African churches, especially addressing all the controversies that have surrounded them over the last few years. On this episode, activist and founder of the Kwanele Mfundisi foundation, Sihle Sibisi shares her experience within charismatic/prophetic churches.

Cliffs:

2:12-3:30 we see an example of the manipulation of members done by the pastors in these churches, with the use of gimmicks and tricks.

Sihle's experiences from 7:25 - 15:45

- she discusses her normal mild mannered upbringing attending a normal church and how everything was fine until the new prophetic churches emerged.

- Her and her mum started attending because they had a sick family member, whom they thought would receive healing, after a friend of her mother's suggested that they attend this church... She was 15 years old around this time

- When she turned 16, the pastor/prophet/wizard/garden gnome, told her mum that Sihle is gifted and called by God, and therefore has to start living at the "Mission house" with the rest of the "chosen," her mother was also given a position in the church

- while at the mission house, her cellphone was taken away, and she was not allowed to have contact with anyone on the outside. She was so brainwashed that she never thought to run back home, even though it was so close to the mission house location

- She came to discover that only young girls stay at the mission house, they also have to undergo a mandatory HIV test, in which case the pastor/prophet/suitcase/garden gnome claimed he could heal any of the girls who had it, but obviously he was getting them tested so he could sleep with all of them. Because the girls who were HIV negative were then made to be "mistresses to the man of god"

- It was common place for girls who stay at the mission house to have to sleep with the pastor or his assistance, because serving as worshippers or ushers in the church

- She goes on to touch on fact that Pastors or prophets like the man in question and Bushiri love bomb and brainwash people into being completely dependent on them

- She reveals the fact that her foundation has received letters that this pastor, who's Zambian, is actually not welcome in his home country because of all his crimes. Which include raping children and leaving the country in a general mess, he's apparently also a deadbeat. So him and many others like himself do all sorts of nonsense to the community, but can't leave because their own countries don't want them

- This pastor or church has affected her relationship with her mother. Who refuses to see or let her or her grandkids visit because she's still in the church.

- The pastors name is Philip Banda

From 20:00-23:20

- she discusses the corruption that has been allowed to thrive within churches or religious bodies, regardless of nationality or denomination

- after she graduated from varsity and started working, she got injured and her hearing was damaged in one of her ears

- Philip Banda then suggested that the church take a trip to Nigeria and visit TB Joshua, his spiritual father

- She got in the prayer line with the placard filled out about her plight, then someone laid hands on and prayed for her. Afterwards she woke up in an unfamiliar place, wondering what happened to her, and was then told that god had called her to be an evangelist

- basically, from when the trip was planned, Philip Banda and whoever else collude to get her to Nigeria and keep her there

- she was the first South African to "serve" under TB Joshua's ministry

- she then says she saw how people who would act, were recruited and paid, how the water was "prepared" and packaged etc

Voets3k

Reaction score
Reactions
141,541 5,315 2,962
Alleybux
You like these boloyi threads modimo. They scare me. Moja life ( love) must be your channel of choice.

Ewn7E7LW8AEW9fh.jpg
You know I love ratchetness and mess, so Moja Love is my sh!t... But most importantly, I was almost in that woman's shoes, so this topic is quite close to my heart. I was very emotional while watching and listening

Mantsho

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
165,122 13,156 9,082
Alleybux
Welcome back. Haven't seen you in these parts.

I'm tired of South Africans as well. They are gullible. Even during covid19, they were donating to the church but we're hungry at home. Sometimes it's a choice when these fake prophets have been exposed so many times.

Remember this guy being raised from the dead:cautious:

%2Fmethode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F5a5ecdf2-3e8f-11e9-b961-901d3f60ceca.jpg

I was going to say something about these pastors that come to S.A and do these things to S.An women but lemme TOOL.

I hope she's at peace rn and away from all the evil she went through.

Mantsho

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
165,122 13,156 9,082
Alleybux
Reminds me of this story on Uthando noxolo of Rebecca who was allegedly raped and murdered by three prophets but her mother was involved. The poor father never believed that the mother was innocent but could never find evidence because the police and everyone let this girl down.

You know I love ratchetness and mess, so Moja Love is my sh!t... But most importantly, I was almost in that woman's shoes, so this topic is quite close to my heart. I was very emotional while watching and listening

Voets3k

Reaction score
Reactions
141,541 5,315 2,962
Alleybux
Reminds me of this story on Uthando noxolo of Rebecca who was allegedly raped and murdered by three prophets but her mother was involved. The poor father never believed that the mother was innocent but could never find evidence because the police and everyone let this girl down.

Parents themselves fail their children for not protecting them, and basically handing them over to predators on a silver platter

diamondjubilee

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
101,468 9,581 9,799
Alleybux

I'm tired of South Africans as well. They are gullible. Even during covid19, they were donating to the church but we're hungry at home. Sometimes it's a choice when these fake prophets have been exposed so many times.

%2Fmethode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F5a5ecdf2-3e8f-11e9-b961-901d3f60ceca.jpg
Would you mind expanding on this story and telling us more please. Are you saying you think this was staged?

TheZoilist

─── ⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅ ───
Reaction score
Reactions
31,399 839 156
Alleybux
Wow i’m zambian and i just heard about him! I’ve asked my mum for more background

the guy in grey is so erudite and articulate! What a great speaker!!

THEDARKVIXEN

Carpe Diem
Reaction score
Reactions
374,092 8,059 3,406
Alleybux

It’s not just an SA thing. They do it throughout Africa. I know these scammer pastors in Nigeria (my country) are trash. These pastors throughout Africa take advantage of our people especially children and women.

I really wish a lot of African women would leave the church for the most part. It’s one of the reasons I am agnostic.

Voets3k

Reaction score
Reactions
141,541 5,315 2,962
Alleybux
Would you mind expanding on this story and telling us more please. Are you saying you think this was staged?
LOL it was definitely staged... If you watch the original video, his mouth was moving while he was in the coffin!

diamondjubilee

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
101,468 9,581 9,799
Alleybux
It’s not just an SA thing. They do it throughout Africa. I know these scammer pastors in Nigeria (my country) are trash. These pastors throughout Africa take advantage of our people especially children and women.

I really wish a lot of African women would leave the church for the most part. It’s one of the reasons I am agnostic.
God aint got nothing to do with these scammers and trust me they will have their day in court and aint gonna get away with abusing people who are innocent at heart.

Mantsho

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
165,122 13,156 9,082
Alleybux
They prey on people's pain, especially poverty. But their believers become so militant, it's impossible to get through to them.

Governments must start taxing churches because they are money making schemes.

HERR

Reaction score
Reactions
7,406 225 1
Alleybux

Exactly.

I also wonder how brainwashed can a person possibly be that they go as far as giving thousands of rands to these pastors.

HERR

Reaction score
Reactions
7,406 225 1
Alleybux
I've seen stories of people buying cars,houses,donating endless cash for their pastors.

There's this church I know that makes their members donate 60% of their monthly salary.

Hautehoney

Women Identified Woman
Reaction score
Reactions
37,969 97 44
Alleybux
I'm tired of older black folk being so obsessed with the church. Alot of these pastors aren't teaching the word of god. They're teaching the word of themselves.

My mother would jump off a building if the pastor told her to do it.

The church brainwashes people and turns them into obedient zombies. Can't even make their own decisions anymore because what the holy bible thinks I should do matters most.

I have no beef with religion, but I'll never be here for religious brainwashing.

Voets3k

Reaction score
Reactions
141,541 5,315 2,962
Alleybux
Exactly.

I also wonder how brainwashed can a person possibly be that they go as far as giving thousands of rands to these pastors.
Trust me, these people work on your mind, they reel you in slowly and carefully... They basically groom people and then break them down... But I will hold a lot of us for "chasing instant miracles." I myself am a Christian and have come to understand that as much as God is able, He is a God of law and order. Things always go through a process and don't just happen out of nowhere, and a lot of us Christians fall prey to these people because we think or were trying to find a way to bypass a process in the first place! God gave you a brain, use it!

Voets3k

Reaction score
Reactions
141,541 5,315 2,962
Alleybux
They prey on people's pain, especially poverty. But their believers become so militant, it's impossible to get through to them.

Governments must start taxing churches because they are money making schemes.

Isn't the name of Bushiri's church creepy though? "Enlightened Christian Gathering"

Reaction score
Reactions
3,705 93 42
Alleybux
Lol I always laugh at people who allow themselves to be brainwashed like this. I just feel sad for peoples who were groomed since childhood like this lady.

My lil sis almost got trapped in this ish. Thank God she listed and stopped going to these daddy churches. Even my mom who I believe is brainwashed in her own way saw that that was not normal. Her friend was taken to stay in a mission and died there. They would want my baby sis to not study for exams and go for all night services and go to others cities with the choir, they'd tell them that they'll pass even if they study because "Daddy". That's when my mom said no more church for her otherwise she can come back home and drop out of varsity.

I really don't know how they manage to brainwash people, maybe because I've never been a church person and once I start attending a church and they start coming home to check on me once I miss a few services I stop attending all together.

Protea

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
9,561 353 13
Alleybux

I had a friend who was in attendance on this day. She's always loved joining charismatic churches since first joining Universal Church with her mom. After Pastor Chris's scandals, she left and that's when she started church hopping. Always a new and better church that was the "real deal" and yoh when I tell you the attempts at recruiting us just made it so uncomfortable for us to be around her.

She's had daddy issues since her father left them when she was still in primary and got remarried shortly thereafter and I think that affected her mom to the point where she just devoted herself to these churches instead of moving on herself. I'm saying all this to say I see why many of these mainly female congregants join these churches because many of them are broken and they bring their children into these churches with them expecting miracles because our people lack adequate mental health support structures. We've relied too heavily on the church for answers to our plight.

Mantsho

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
165,122 13,156 9,082
Alleybux
This. Speaks directly to a family member of mine. I'll never forgive Universal Church. Zapped the life out of her and she became a disciple to that church, more than her family and her health. My grievance is that they preach this gospel that stops people from medicine and looking for miracles.

You articulated something very important. The role of mental health and what role people expect these church's fulfill. Unfortunately that topic is taboo.
I had a friend who was in attendance on this day. She's always loved joining charismatic churches since first joining Universal Church with her mom. After Pastor Chris's scandals, she left and that's when she started church hopping. Always a new and better church that was the "real deal" and yoh when I tell you the attempts at recruiting us just made it so uncomfortable for us to be around her.

She's had daddy issues since her father left them when she was still in primary and got remarried shortly thereafter and I think that affected her mom to the point where she just devoted herself to these churches instead of moving on herself. I'm saying all this to say I see why many of these mainly female congregants join these churches because many of them are broken and they bring their children into these churches with them expecting miracles because our people lack adequate mental health support structures. We've relied too heavily on the church for answers to our plight.

Protea

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
9,561 353 13
Alleybux
My grievance is that they preach this gospel that stops people from medicine and looking for miracles.

This part gets me so angry. I get that they are exploiting people mainly for money but to convince people to stop taking medicine and to wait for miracles is just so evil it's scary. Then there are the child molesters getting easy access to victims through these churches and the parents are too broken making it a recipe for disaster. I feel like some of them do this because they enjoy watching people tortured and suffering. Not sure what's the right term for such a person but it's just vile.

Lyndy Prosper

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
9,773 283 27
Alleybux
These pastors come here (even when rejected in their own countries) because we can be so gullible. It's easy to make a quick buck and get a cult following. I mean what man of God is going to tell you to eat grass or get Doom sprayed on you, where is that in the Bible? With that said, the churches I've gone to, were unproblematic in that sense, but they are also smaller and not focused on a personality.

This. Speaks directly to a family member of mine. I'll never forgive Universal Church.
Have heard so many terrible things about Universal Church...

Mantsho

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
165,122 13,156 9,082
Alleybux
Evil. Pure evil. If you believe in good then it's opposite must exist. Same as in traditional beliefs and boloyi. These people become zombies in these churches and lose all their sanity. However, I don't believe the families are always innocent. It's the children that suffer.

The Bible itself says beware of false prophets yet people still put their faith in man than in their God.
This part gets me so angry. I get that they are exploiting people mainly for money but to convince people to stop taking medicine and to wait for miracles is just so evil it's scary. Then there are the child molesters getting easy access to victims through these churches and the parents are too broken making it a recipe for disaster. I feel like some of them do this because they enjoy watching people tortured and suffering. Not sure what's the right term for such a person but it's just vile.

Mantsho

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
165,122 13,156 9,082
Alleybux
So much that went under the radar. He was the original grifter. People lost homes, everything to be worthy for prayer. Others wasted away looking for miracles. Their members would go around inviting people to their nights of miracles.

I could go on but until one of these prophets actually ends up in prison, the cycle will continue.
Have heard so many terrible things about Universal Church.

diamondjubilee

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
101,468 9,581 9,799
Alleybux
LOL it was definitely staged... If you watch the original video, his mouth was moving while he was in the coffin!
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahahah They better stop playing with death and with god because he starts playing back. SMDH

Voets3k

Reaction score
Reactions
141,541 5,315 2,962
Alleybux
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahahah They better stop playing with death and with god because he starts playing back. SMDH
The guy who was acting apparently died like a month after that whole situation

Mantsho

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
165,122 13,156 9,082
Alleybux