Quantcast

Still Processing with Wesley Morris and Jenna Wortham

Raynebow

❤︎ i only smoke girl blunts ❤︎
Reaction score
Reactions
28,496 900 111
Alleybux
Still Processing is back, and this episode on apologies has Jenna apologizing to a childhood friend for being a bully to her as a child. The girl started crying over the phone, and I felt kinda weird listening to it. It was just so intimate.

Of course Jenna of all people would be a bully as a kid.

chumbawumba

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
68,755 730 206
Alleybux
Still Processing is back, and this episode on apologies has Jenna apologizing to a childhood friend for being a bully to her as a child. The girl started crying over the phone, and I felt kinda weird listening to it. It was just so intimate.

I started listening yesterday on my way to work but I didn't finish. I figured that it would end with her apologizing on the show. I'm sure she got permission to air the call but still. Thanks for preparing me for it!

Xxxpensive

The Realest Housewife
Reaction score
Reactions
101,298 2,642 459
Alleybux
I really liked this week's episode which was built around Jussie Smollett and how they handled it. Out of all the pop culture podcasts that I listen to, they definitely handled it the best and with the right amount of nuance.

BabyLegend

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
2,849 54 4
Alleybux
I'm currently binge listening to this, I'm hooked. Love it when they talk about films they have watched, it just brings out the film nerd in me.

kelleh rollin

Snacktress
Reaction score
Reactions
29,625 222 33
Alleybux
I love this show so much. Thanks for bumping the thread so I can stan. It’s a favorite of mine, probably my consistent fave. Agree that Jenna needs more seasoning, and it shows on some topics, like when she kept calling Lena Waithe’s show “The Chai” because she doesn’t know any better. :unsure: Sometimes she just sounds like she’s performing. I also wish she would stop with the nonverbals (“mmhmm”) or at least do it off mic.

Otherwise, I think they have a good chemistry and I really enjoy the discussions they have. They’re thoughtful in their criticism, but still accessible.

SanDomingors

I’m outside. It’s Kiss!
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
2,004 37 33
Alleybux
I also wish she would stop with the nonverbals (“mmhmm”) or at least do it off mic.
THIS. its cringe but i feel we are at PEAK podcast from newspapers, radio stations and etc. Alot of them do it as they are hired to do it for their job (they were picked to do it and it shows as i dont think they really friends like that) and not really bout it...its worked. sam from its been a minute does it when interviewing. it sounds so shallow bc of how quickly he will move into another question. its like ticking boxes before the sponsor.

41 Savage

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
194 8 1
Alleybux
I love this show so much. Thanks for bumping the thread so I can stan. It’s a favorite of mine, probably my consistent fave. Agree that Jenna needs more seasoning, and it shows on some topics, like when she kept calling Lena Waithe’s show “The Chai” because she doesn’t know any better. :unsure: Sometimes she just sounds like she’s performing. I also wish she would stop with the nonverbals (“mmhmm”) or at least do it off mic.

Otherwise, I think they have a good chemistry and I really enjoy the discussions they have. They’re thoughtful in their criticism, but still accessible.

I legit didn't notice Jenna's non-verbals until you said something. Now its all I hear! LOL

janedoe

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
207,271 1,062 420
Alleybux

THIS. its cringe but i feel we are at PEAK podcast from newspapers, radio stations and etc. Alot of them do it as they are hired to do it for their job (they were picked to do it and it shows as i dont think they really friends like that) and not really bout it...its worked. sam from its been a minute does it when interviewing. it sounds so shallow bc of how quickly he will move into another question. its like ticking boxes before the sponsor.

The nonverbals stress me out too. I notice it more in Wesley. I actually stopped listening to the podcast and started listening again when Wesley was a guest on another NYT podcast The Daily. I noticed on The Daily the host does the nonverbals even worse. I figured it must be a thing they told them to do at NYT.

But for some reason I appreciate the podcast so much more this second time around.

chumbawumba

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
68,755 730 206
Alleybux
I really enjoyed their most recent episode & discussion of the movie Us. Tying Peele's Us to Toni Morrison's Beloved made for an excellent discussion on the film and one that I didn't even think about until listened to their comparisons. I thought it was a great episode.

FreeLikeMe

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
3,781 61 3
Alleybux
I really enjoyed their most recent episode & discussion of the movie Us. Tying Peele's Us to Toni Morrison's Beloved made for an excellent discussion on the film and one that I didn't even think about until listened to their comparisons. I thought it was a great episode.
Same. That and the Do the Right Thing episode reminded me why I enjoy listening to the show so much. It’s the kind of discussion you will only hear here and they manage to tie in things you would never even think of.

41 Savage

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
194 8 1
Alleybux

My face was like the Weebay gif listening to that episode. I was like WOW, these Negroes are really smart! LOL!

ToFreedom

Be best!
Reaction score
Reactions
81,781 1,586 752
Alleybux
I think Jenna is apart of the Iowa Writers Workshop (very prestigious program to be accepted into) I’m not sure if that plays a role in their sporadic hiatuses.

ghostdad

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
68,527 2,130 1,164
Alleybux
so they’re back after i don’t know how long, and i am NOT feeling these topics they’re deciding to do.

chumbawumba

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
68,755 730 206
Alleybux
Yeah I wasn’t feeling the JLO episode, they think pieced her career to death and it’s truly not that deep.

I'm not even gonna listen to that ep. I remember the height of JLOs fame but honestly, I don't give a damn about her career overall.

ToFreedom

Be best!
Reaction score
Reactions
81,781 1,586 752
Alleybux
I'm not even gonna listen to that ep. I remember the height of JLOs fame but honestly, I don't give a damn about her career overall.
Their podcast is starting to remind me of The Nod, highly educated cultural journalist going on extreme deep dives/analysis on topics to the point were it’s no longer interesting to listen to.

ImInYourFace

Oshun's Baby ~
Reaction score
Reactions
47,382 1,421 391
Alleybux
I enjoyed the last episode of this season the most but was also turned off by the J Lo ass kissing on that particular episode.

There is so much more interesting analysis to be had on how J Lo's racial ambiguity has given her the rare ability to move into different markets and boost her career. She has gone from playing the role a Mexican singer to playing a white Italian woman to singing "urban music" by literally lip-syncing a black woman's voice and saying *****. Now her 2020 Super Bowl performance will be marketed as a major achievement for Latinos separate from any black solidarity. If they want to discuss someone's career they should actually dive deep into those factors.

chumbawumba

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
68,755 730 206
Alleybux
Their podcast is starting to remind me of The Nod, highly educated cultural journalist going on extreme deep dives/analysis on topics to the point were it’s no longer interesting to listen to.

I can see that but I love an over analysis, even when I roll my eyes. See all of my comments about Jenna's hippy dippiness, Lol! So I'll keep listening and skip the topics I'm not interested in. Still ain't listened to JLO ep.

There is so much more interesting analysis to be had on how J Lo's racial ambiguity has given her the rare ability to move into different markets and boost her career.

And this is why I skipped that ep. Cause if they weren't willing to go there & really talk about race, then there isn't much to discuss in my opinion. They have had in depth convos about race on that podcast before, so why avoid it with JLO? Hmmmm...

ghostdad

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
68,527 2,130 1,164
Alleybux
Hearing Wesley talk about his aunt who passed from COVID really broke my heart.

A lot of these people who are passing, especially elders in retirement homes, are dying ALONE and will not get proper burial services.

I can’t log on to Facebook without seeing another “RIP mom/dad/grandma/uncle/cousin” post, and its absolutely insane. My heart breaks for Queens. My hometown, which has been hit the hardest in NYC.

I’m gonna watch that documentary they mentioned: How To Survive a Plague. It’s on youtube for whoever wants to watch.

wizkidz

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,068 44 17
Alleybux
This is a very solid podcast. The Aretha show and the apology show, are my 2 favorites.

Juschillin

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
4,409 108 391
Alleybux
Black voices for white and yuppie ears. Their black experience is rooted being the token (knowingly or unknowingly) around white folks. An experience and insight I can do without.

They give you the feeling they didn’t realize they were black until some white person they were interested in said something racist to them. I’m sure they also have the “black people used to call me a nerd/gay/corny/weird so I gravitated towards white people” story.
Then, they truly ‘embraced’ (read: overcompensated) their blackness after Trayvon and Ferguson, so much so that the NYT brought them on to tell white people about themselves. It’s performative.

It’s exactly what you would expect the NYT to promote as black culture.

I Against I

Dark Days Lie Ahead™️
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
104,294 8,677 3,970
Alleybux
Ah, glad to see there is a thread for this show. I don't know how I feel about them. Sometimes I like their dynamic and how they really analyze pop culture and politics and present research they've done (after all they are journalists.)

But sometimes they can be a bit...I don't know, annoying? Try-hard? Not sure what it is. They are basically the NY Times buppie/yuppie version of The Read though. lol

The Paywalled Read

ToFreedom

Be best!
Reaction score
Reactions
81,781 1,586 752
Alleybux
I prefer Wesley over Jenna, if I had to play favorites. She’s the one that evokes my I just embraced my blackness in 2012 sentiments. However, her coffee table book Black Futures has some interesting reads/images and, of course, makes for great decor.

Did anyone watch The NYT Britney Spears doc? Asking cause they had Wesley looking crazy with theeee most chapped lips. It was vv distracting, to me.

ImInYourFace

Oshun's Baby ~
Reaction score
Reactions
47,382 1,421 391
Alleybux
Are they gonna discuss all the racial controversies at NYT in the past year?

edit: so they kinda did in the latest N word episode ?

Last edited:

burnedgiraffe

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Reactions
29 4
Alleybux
Black voices for white and yuppie ears. Their black experience is rooted being the token (knowingly or unknowingly) around white folks. An experience and insight I can do without.

They give you the feeling they didn’t realize they were black until some white person they were interested in said something racist to them. I’m sure they also have the “black people used to call me a nerd/gay/corny/weird so I gravitated towards white people” story.
Then, they truly ‘embraced’ (read: overcompensated) their blackness after Trayvon and Ferguson, so much so that the NYT brought them on to tell white people about themselves. It’s performative.

I definitely felt this impression too which is kind of why I stopped listening to them. While I did like hearing their analysis on a few episodes, I always got the feeling that they were a little too pretentious for no reason (Jenna a little bit more than Wesley). I definitely feel like I'm past the "black conversations for white audiences" type of media.

FemmeBronzee

Black women in tennis >>>>>>
Reaction score
Reactions
210,531 4,166 767
Alleybux
So, because the bookmarking in threads didn’t maintain with this upgrade, the thread opened to the first page. It made me realize that this show started almost five years ago. Yet, it feels like they only have 20 episodes to their name.

FemmeBronzee

Black women in tennis >>>>>>
Reaction score
Reactions
210,531 4,166 767
Alleybux

I feel like Jenna especially has been having these little epiphanies.

She’s half black/half white. In one of the earlier episodes, she commented about some experience that she had in her recent adulthood that made her decide that she would only date black women (I guess she was mainly dating white women, or of the “I date all kinda people” person). But in this past episode, she talked about how at UVA she found her tribe of black friends and that’s when she started using the n-word with an “a” because the word had been so forbidden in her house growing up.

Xxxpensive

The Realest Housewife
Reaction score
Reactions
101,298 2,642 459
Alleybux
I just caught their n-word episode and it's...something. Might be time for me to tap out on the show for a bit. There were a few interesting nuggets in there but I was cringing hard while listening to most of that particular episode.

ghostdad

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
68,527 2,130 1,164
Alleybux
I hate that they want to do a read along for the next episodes??
And the book is about Asian Americans -- no offense, but, I don't care.

Lisa Landry

Fashions By Lisa
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
47,351 1,152 61
Alleybux
I just caught their n-word episode and it's...something. Might be time for me to tap out on the show for a bit. There were a few interesting nuggets in there but I was cringing hard while listening to most of that particular episode.
That episode did it for me. I had to end it mid episode. I know not all black people like the word but they just had a lil too much vitriol for the word, expressing it to a white audience.

I’ll just periodically go back to their topics before listening because I love their analysis on most things. Very good transitions & their episode notes are so detailed.