Quantcast

Stock market

tt00

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
158,183 7,435 1,115
Alleybux
Are you still involved in this? Are you still successful? How did you learn about day trading?

Yes , I am still trading . This is were I am at this year still trading PT, I guess I am still doing ok . You can do it start with something anything and its better now than never . Also don't play with money you can't afford to lose / do your research homework and you will be good.

I learned about trading in college teaching myself. Then are started going to meetup groups to sit in with traders who were doing this for a living to learn from them.

BA3GLE.jpg

kandije

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
579 28 2
Alleybux
Yes , I am still trading . This is were I am at this year still trading PT, I guess I am still doing ok . You can do it start with something anything and its better now than never . Also don't play with money you can't afford to lose / do your research homework and you will be good.

I learned about trading in college teaching myself. Then are started going to meetup groups to sit in with traders who were doing this for a living to learn from them.

BA3GLE.jpg
Do you trade on the OTC? Just asking because that's what I do for now. It's volatile but more exciting.
I've been paper trading options, but haven't taken the leap.

tt00

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
158,183 7,435 1,115
Alleybux
Do you trade on the OTC? Just asking because that's what I do for now. It's volatile but more exciting.
I've been paper trading options, but haven't taken the leap.

No I don't do OTC stocks , I stick with stocks that are on the main stock exchange mostly on NASDAQ and NYSE.

KoreanDramazlvr

Hahahaha..........((headturn))...........STUPID!!!
Reaction score
Reactions
15,738 459 291
Alleybux
Jim Cramer is an idiot, Please do not base your trading on what he says. People in the know who trade always do opposite of what he says. It is an inside joke among traders who trade for a living lol
He thinks he's slick too. . I remember his show when mmj was getting big he had this company on that was trading $60 $30+ so the show caused a stir and another price surge then the stock tanked. I think that company got ripped a new one by the sec too.

Last edited:

coldroland

Reaction score
Reactions
65,795 1,226 913
Alleybux
He thinks he's slick too. . I remember his show when mmj was getting big he had this company on that was trading $60 or so the show caused a stir and another price surge then the stock tanked. I think that company got ripped a new one by the sec too.

What resources would you recommend for those interested in trading?

KoreanDramazlvr

Hahahaha..........((headturn))...........STUPID!!!
Reaction score
Reactions
15,738 459 291
Alleybux
What resources would you recommend for those interested in trading?

in no order:
bloomberg
investopedia
seekingalpha
sec.gov
the daily paycheck and dividend.com for dividends
gurufocus
no fee drip investing
finviz. msn and yahoo have pretty comprehensive screeners too.
I live on etfdb.com right now because i'm focusing on etfs and capping my roth in 2018.

sorry i've not tried options yet so i cant offer anything (it's on my list), or forex and i don't do mutual funds. i've not done anything with altcoins either.

also many platforms have an education section. i use vanguard. but there are others. Also, some platforms offer no transaction fee's for certain securities.

I also use acorns which i think charges a small monthly fee. buts it's more a set it and forget type of investing.

there are some places you can get stocks with no fee's like loyal3 now foliofirst, robinhood etc. which is cool but the downside is that there is no way to set a buy/sell price? I could be wrong but I didn't see one.

i ignore anything that trades on otc markets. Scammers love talking about pennystocks and get rich schemes. they are bµllsh!t.

coldroland

Reaction score
Reactions
65,795 1,226 913
Alleybux
in no order:
bloomberg
investopedia
seekingalpha
sec.gov
the daily paycheck and dividend.com for dividends
gurufocus
no fee drip investing
finviz. msn and yahoo have pretty comprehensive screeners too.
I live on etfdb.com right now because i'm focusing on etfs and capping my roth in 2018.

sorry i've not tried options yet so i cant offer anything (it's on my list), or forex and i don't do mutual funds. i've not done anything with altcoins either.

also many platforms have an education section. i use vanguard. but there are others. Also, some platforms offer no transaction fee's for certain securities.

I also use acorns which i think charges a small monthly fee. buts it's more a set it and forget type of investing.

there are some places you can get stocks with no fee's like loyal3 now foliofirst, robinhood etc. which is cool but the downside is that there is no way to set a buy/sell price? I could be wrong but I didn't see one.

i ignore anything that trades on otc markets. Scammers love talking about pennystocks and get rich schemes. they are bµllsh!t.

Thank you for such a detailed response!! I hope to put them to get use

JustLivingTv

Fck |Love|Friendship & yo phony apologies
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
97,021 9,671 9,135
Alleybux
No.
I'm waiting for it to crash.
The years are getting later and later it's time to leave people behind and start a new way of living by 2020.

JustLivingTv

Fck |Love|Friendship & yo phony apologies
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
97,021 9,671 9,135
Alleybux
what do you mean by the second part?

Exactly what I said.

A new way of living.. Things change either you accept it and learn or get left behind in the past.

A lot of older people already being left behind cause certain places are no longer accepting checks from their outdated check book.

So either they learn how to use a chip card,find somewhere that takes checks or stay home and think bout what they wish they paid for.

KardiKi

Marketing Director of The Daily Punctilio
Reaction score
Reactions
20,761 361 91
Alleybux
Thank you for sharing, this was really helpful!!

Here are a few words from an active investor. If you are new to investing or the stock market. Read as much as you in regards to investor books, stock forums, bloomberg, and other financial . Learn to how to interpret and read stock charts and the various technical indicators analysis tools out there to break down a single individual stock. Like RSI, DMA, MACD, SMA, Volume, and so on as there are tons of them. Learn at least 3-5 of them real well. Know what a limit order vs a market order is. Learn about stop losses and the various types of stops and how it affects you if a certain event was to happen in the stock price. Learn about level 2 . Pickup the Wallstreet journal and IBD from time to time to look at how the overall market is doing and review the sections that cover stock quotes( notice drops /increase in sectors ). There are also different areas you can invest in forex, commodities, ETFs, currency, eminis, regular market NASDAQ/NYSE and so on . Find out which one you want to do.

Also pay attention to what is going on in the news as well as it does affect specific industries at specific times of the year. Learn how to short stocks (Making money on stocks going down in value).
Nothing is the best teacher like hands on. If you don't have the money yet. Play around with simulator stock accounts. Trademonster has these and there are many others only. That is where you get pretend money and you can buy stocks and see how well you do with to test what you learned.

Learn how to manage/ invest your own money because no one has your best interested at heart with your $$$ but you. Do your own research and do not base your investments ever on hearsay from Stock Analysis / These so call experts - CNBC. Never invest money that you cannot afford to lose.

I am a swing trader and sometimes a day trader if opportunity is presents itself at the right moment. Swing trader meaning I only hold stocks for about 1-3 weeks or if the profit presents itself sooner I sell it. I am not a buy and hold person in this stock market. In my opinion the market is too Volatile for that right now.

Also in terms of e-brokerage there are many online find one that fits you and take notice of the fees to buy and sell stocks and other fees they charge to wire in and out. If you use margin to invest do not over extend yourself when buying stocks and never but all your money into one stock spread it out.

This is basically a snapshot of what I have traded so far since the beginning of this year.

stc.jpg

Topo Chica

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
26,283 1,319 134
Alleybux
Bumping this thread.

Just bought some stock in ALDX and IGC. Interested in purchasing some stock in CGC, SMG, and AbbVie.

Last edited:

Topo Chica

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
26,283 1,319 134
Alleybux
Decided I shouldn't get ahead of myself and only invest in some stocks that are set to take off that are below $5

Plan to buy Nept, Aker, Admp, & Crmd. Plan to sell my Walmart & Aldx stock to buy into them. Small loss, but I'll get it right back with cannabis stock.

Chillin4Life

Supreme Being
Reaction score
Reactions
29,772 418 131
Alleybux
Cannabis stocks are where it’s at Yahoo Finance have a watchlist of Cannabis stocks. MJ is my favorite ETF right now.

Decided I shouldn't get ahead of myself and only invest in some stocks that are set to take off that are below $5

Plan to buy Nept, Aker, Admp, & Crmd. Plan to sell my Walmart & Aldx stock to buy into them. Small loss, but I'll get it right back with cannabis stock.

nyc45

Rookie
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
324 6 4
Alleybux
Question my boyfriend is currently doing Paper trading. He is becoming very good at it.He thinks he can make such a living since he's good at it to quit his job. He's stacking enough paper before he quits.

I dont think this is a good idea to do this,my gut is telling me this and from some reading but anyone who did this can give me some insight on this. He doesn't have a backup plan if this doesn't pan out.

Bird Watcher

Reality TV Birds are my fav!
Reaction score
Reactions
52,426 902 308
Alleybux
I decided for my birthday I am going to invest in some stock. I have been doing research on the ones I am looking at. I am also looking into some long term stock.

NinaStarks

issa
Reaction score
Reactions
168,353 7,434 1,992
Alleybux
Here are a few words from an active investor. If you are new to investing or the stock market. Read as much as you in regards to investor books, stock forums, bloomberg, and other financial . Learn to how to interpret and read stock charts and the various technical indicators analysis tools out there to break down a single individual stock. Like RSI, DMA, MACD, SMA, Volume, and so on as there are tons of them. Learn at least 3-5 of them real well. Know what a limit order vs a market order is. Learn about stop losses and the various types of stops and how it affects you if a certain event was to happen in the stock price. Learn about level 2 . Pickup the Wallstreet journal and IBD from time to time to look at how the overall market is doing and review the sections that cover stock quotes( notice drops /increase in sectors ). There are also different areas you can invest in forex, commodities, ETFs, currency, eminis, regular market NASDAQ/NYSE and so on . Find out which one you want to do.

Also pay attention to what is going on in the news as well as it does affect specific industries at specific times of the year. Learn how to short stocks (Making money on stocks going down in value).
Nothing is the best teacher like hands on. If you don't have the money yet. Play around with simulator stock accounts. Trademonster has these and there are many others only. That is where you get pretend money and you can buy stocks and see how well you do with to test what you learned.

Learn how to manage/ invest your own money because no one has your best interested at heart with your $$$ but you. Do your own research and do not base your investments ever on hearsay from Stock Analysis / These so call experts - CNBC. Never invest money that you cannot afford to lose.

I am a swing trader and sometimes a day trader if opportunity is presents itself at the right moment. Swing trader meaning I only hold stocks for about 1-3 weeks or if the profit presents itself sooner I sell it. I am not a buy and hold person in this stock market. In my opinion the market is too Volatile for that right now.

Also in terms of e-brokerage there are many online find one that fits you and take notice of the fees to buy and sell stocks and other fees they charge to wire in and out. If you use margin to invest do not over extend yourself when buying stocks and never but all your money into one stock spread it out.

This is basically a snapshot of what I have traded so far since the beginning of this year.

stc.jpg

Can we have an updated snapshot of your trades . Pleaseeee

SpanishDude

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
11,702 476 256
Alleybux
For anyone trying to get into the stock game, they now have fractional shares, which means you dont have to buy a whole share of anything. You can invest as little as a dollar in a company like Chipotle whose stock is valued $882 if you are so inclined. Im doing it through cashapp but I think the most popular way to do it is through something called robinhood

BrwnSknBeauty

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
112,653 5,497 3,704
Alleybux
Can you share more info about this fraction share? Like dumb it down.

For anyone trying to get into the stock game, they now have fractional shares, which means you dont have to buy a whole share of anything. You can invest as little as a dollar in a company like Chipotle whose stock is valued $882 if you are so inclined. Im doing it through cashapp but I think the most popular way to do it is through something called robinhood

SpanishDude

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
11,702 476 256
Alleybux
Can you share more info about this fraction share? Like dumb it down.

Ok so, like I said, Chipotle, before you would have to pretty much pay $800 to buy ONE ☝️ share of Chipotle, but now you can invest as little as one dollar and that dollar will go up and down with the market just like the full $800 dollar share would.

I believe the main thing keeping people from investing, is that the shares can be very expensive, however with this you can invest in 20 different stocks with $20. So if you potentially have one stock you bought that turns out to suck, it doesnt turn you off to the entire game.

Ive been doing it through cahsapp, You can probably check it out without having to do much of anything if you have cashapp

*disclaimer, I absolutely dont work for cashapp or anything
like that, I just stumbled upon this and its been working out for me, I think its fun

BrwnSknBeauty

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
112,653 5,497 3,704
Alleybux
So what's the return from a $1 investment?

Ok so, like I said, Chipotle, before you would have to pretty much pay $800 to buy ONE ☝️ share of Chipotle, but now you can invest as little as one dollar and that dollar will go up and down with the market just like the full $800 dollar share would.

I believe the main thing keeping people from investing, is that the shares can be very expensive, however with this you can invest in 20 different stocks with $20. So if you potentially have one stock you bought that turns out to suck, it doesnt turn you off to the entire game.

Ive been doing it through cahsapp, You can probably check it out without having to do much of anything if you have cashapp

*disclaimer, I absolutely dont work for cashapp or anything
like that, I just stumbled upon this and its been working out for me, I think its fun

SpanishDude

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
11,702 476 256
Alleybux
So what's the return from a $1 investment?

It just depends on the stock. Remember, you can lose money, its just that right now the market is SO LOW, like there are many many stocks that are at an all time low, so Ive made money on almost all my stocks just because theyre inching back to normal.

Now, the return on 1 dollar of stock is the same as it would be on 100. For instance, if your stock were to improve by 3% on 100, you would get 3 dollars, if you only invested a dollar, then your return would be 3 cents. Some stocks however move and jump big time. Right now, my best stock has been Overstock, like over the past month, Overstock has gone up nearly 200 percent, so, if you had a dollar invested in Overstock, now you would have three. Also, sometimes crazy stuff happens, last week Whiting Petroleum went up 300 percent in like 2 days, thats crazy, if you had 1(or a 100)dollars invested on Monday, than you’d have 3(or 300) on Wednesday, BUT it crashed again back to nearly normal levels by Thursday, so you have to know when to buy and sell. The good thing is that they show you all the charts of stock performance, so you can tell what a stocks performance was before this crisis hit. I for the most part have been buying stocks that crashed big time and I feel will rebound.

I started out with like 15 bucks invested in like 8 companies, that was 6 weeks ago. I told myself I would invest 5-10 bucks a day and now I have
$300 dollars on the market with 30 different companies. I started investing a lot in IBM because it offers a really good dividend(I also started investing more in companies that pay dividends)

Also, if you have cashapp(you can try robinhood as well, I just use cashapp cuz I already have cashapp)buying and selling is as hassle free as it gets. If you want to sell your stock, you can sell it between 9:30 am and 4:30 pm and it goes right back into your cashapp

Miss NiceNastay

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
68,797 3,089 672
Alleybux
Yes, I have a cousin who is a Stock Broker. He used to handle N.Y. corporate securities, but opened his own brokerage firm on Walnut St. in Philly, my hometown.

He used to do the "StockWatch" news segment for the Tri-State area. He is amazing and has helped me grow an impressive well diversified portfolio.

ETA: Buy stocks like Warren Buffet, with the idea of never selling. Ever.

Arrange your financial model in the form of a wedding cake...

1 months supply of money in your bank account at the top; 6 months supply insured money in the middle layer, and 10 years supply in your foundation, which consists of real estate and equities. Put all the money you make into the middle, and distribute it from there.

Are you still on this forum? If so can you explain your wedding cake model? Thanks

Lakay

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
8,369 600 41
Alleybux
I know the thread is old... but here's my two cents.

Stay away from IPOs

Analyst "opinions" on TV are as valid as weather forecast or Steven A predictions lol.

If you hear it on TV or reading it on newspaper, it's too late.

Invest in what your know

Miss NiceNastay

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
68,797 3,089 672
Alleybux
I know the thread is old... but here's my two cents.

Stay away from IPOs

Analyst "opinions" on TV are as valid as weather forecast or Steven A predictions lol.

If you hear it on TV or reading it on newspaper, it's too late.

Invest in what your know

If we stay away from IPOs, how can we invest in up and coming companies that seem promising at a cheap price?

I started trading last month and at the close of the market on Friday, I made $500. I am doing this long term and I want to make thousand, or tens of thousands. It seems the way to do this is via IPOs, buying several shares for hella cheap, watching the trends of those companies and holding on to them over the 8 week period. I plan on 'riding the wave' of a few of the stocks I have invested in , ie PK, FUN, TS, for 5 years.

Lakay

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
8,369 600 41
Alleybux
If we stay away from IPOs, how can we invest in up and coming companies that seem promising at a cheap price?

I started trading last month and at the close of the market on Friday, I made $500. I am doing this long term and I want to make thousand, or tens of thousands. It seems the way to do this is via IPOs, buying several shares for hella cheap, watching the trends of those companies and holding on to them over the 8 week period. I plan on 'riding the wave' of a few of the stocks I have invested in , ie PK, FUN, TS, for 5 years.

First of all, there is a difference between trading and investing. An investor buys a stock and his willing to hold it for 5 years.

A trader wants to secure short-term profit.

I don't trade because the profit you do is taxable and there's a lot of fees related to trading alot.

But, to answer your question An IPO is often a way for long-time investors to finally cash out.

For one Facebook, there's plenty DavidsTea, Snap, GoPro and the list could go on. In fact, most of them are traded under their initial price after a few week and eventually underperform compared to the index. People buy the HYPE rather than doing their homeworks.

The myth of the hot IPO: Why investors need to be wary of initial public offerings

Also, most people neglect one important thing: volatility. Volatility is the worst enemy of a portfolio.

" Volatility’ is perhaps one of the more commonly used words in the investment dictionary. Put simply, volatility drag is a function of the cruel maths that govern the difference between average returns and compounded returns. The idea is very simple, if a portfolio falls in value, it needs to work harder to go back to its initial value. Take for instance, a £100K portfolio. It falls 10% in year 1 and rises back 10% in the following year. The portfolio should be back to the initial amount of £100K right? After all, the arithmetic average annualised return is 0% isn’t it? Well, wrong! The portfolio fell by 10% in year 1, so your initial investment of £100K is down to £90K. To get back to the initial value of £100K, you need the portfolio to grow at around 11%, not 10%. So the portfolio needs to work harder to get back up. If the portfolio only grew by 10% in the second year, it will be back to £99K, not £100K. The £1,000 leakage from the portfolio is down to volatility drag. ''https://finalytiq.co.uk/wp-content/...aging.Final-copy.pdf#page=8&zoom=auto,-82,845

Here is the math.... very intelligent people don't know this.

you have 100$

Year 1: You money grows 10% = 100*(1+0.10) = 110$
Year 2: You loose 10% = 110*(1-0.10) = 99$; you lost 1$

yet.... ( 10%-10%)= 0. How we think, make us think that we are even, while math says no.

When a stock price goes down by a %, it needs to do more than the initial loss to have your money back. I'd rather have a steady 10% growth, than a stock that goes 30% one year, -20% the next.

Last edited:

thewaterworks

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
21,357 725 21
Alleybux
Just wanted to plug my investing blog (just started it a few weeks ago). I left investment banking not too long ago (my specialty is stocks/equity) and love to break down everything about Wall Street to the simplest language that everyday people can understand. My PMs are also always open for follow-up questions!

Investor Simplified

Please feel free to read for guidance on the stock market. Will appreciate your feedback too :heart:

Mockingbird

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
18,017 792 481
Alleybux
Just wanted to plug my investing blog (just started it a few weeks ago). I left investment banking not too long ago (my specialty is stocks/equity) and love to break down everything about Wall Street to the simplest language that everyday people can understand. My PMs are also always open for follow-up questions!

Investor Simplified

Please feel free to read for guidance on the stock market. Will appreciate your feedback too :heart:

Thank you! I was just about to ask what websites, books, FB groups in could read/join to learn about investment, especially during this time.

Last edited:

Seeing Green

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
22,587 1,522 696
Alleybux

Investor Simplified

Awww I love this! Hope the site does well.

mizzchoc

Scarywoo
Reaction score
Reactions
20,609 878 126
Alleybux

Investor Simplified

I love this!! Im a beginner and i feel like i have a long way to go. so much terms and concepts to understand but im doing my best.

lamontep49

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
183 39 7
Alleybux
I do both long term with tesla since 2018, amazon 2018 but then i do the day trading but not on a daily basis more i try to find one stock during the week that i think will jump up. For this urban one has been the stock that jumped up

Reaction score
Reactions
6,414 245 34
Alleybux

Investor Simplified

Thanks for this, will be looking through. I'm newish to investing and trading. I'm happy to learn as much as I can.