Quantcast

Stop recommending estheticians over dermatologists.

ICUWatchinMe

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
87,156 2,768 1,137
Alleybux
I keep seeing this online. When people say they've seen a derm, someone will post, "Have you seen an esthetician?"

Yall, an esthetician is NOT A DOCTOR and stop treating and recommending them like they are on the same level as one!

Yall really taking the advice of someone with only 6-12 months of training vs someone with at least 10-12 years of education and training?

BeautiNBrains

THAT GIRL
Reaction score
Reactions
181,201 2,851 533
Alleybux
Both have their lanes.

Some people suffer from skin conditions that require the medical expertise of a Dermatologist, others do not. It really depends on the individual.

I’ve never met a Dermatologist with good skin and I’ve worked at two very prestigious offices, here in NYC. In my opinion, they aren’t concerned with getting to the root of the issue.

They are however, great at prescribing medications—which in some cases presents its’ own set of problems.

Last edited:

ICUWatchinMe

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
87,156 2,768 1,137
Alleybux
Both have their lanes.

Some people suffer from skin conditions that require the medical expertise of a Dermatologist, others do not. It really depends on the individual.

I’ve never met a Dermatologist with good skin and I’ve worked at two very prestigious offices, here in NYC. In my opinion, they aren’t concerned with getting to the root of the issue.

They are however, great at prescribing medications—which in some cases presents its’ own set of problems.
Yes they do but an esthetician will never take the place of a derm

moonologie

Fly Me to the Moon
Reaction score
Reactions
15,243 1,128 65
Alleybux
I personally prefer estheticians. I've gone to derms and my experience with them is they throw prescriptions at people without telling them how to use them properly, how often to use them and some of them will not even tell their patients to put on sunscreen. Estheticians (in my opinion) do a better job of putting a proper routine together for their clients.

Ilykeggs

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
88,672 3,273 684
Alleybux
They are both important and needed.

Dermatologist are there to get to the root of the problem. For Rx medications and fillers and injections and cosmetic procedures. If you have serious skin issues then see a derm. Deep cystic acne that doesn't go away. Go to a Derm. Moles that keep changing in size? Derm!

Esthetican's are there for maintenance. You see them monthly or every other month once a derm has gotten your skin together. Peels and lasers that need to be done monthly. You have your acne under control but want to fade hyperpigmentation faster then see an Esthetican. Do you want an exfoliation treatment with acids or something like dermaplanning? Esti!

I know there is a lot of overlap and there are Dermatologist and Esthetican's who do everything but this is how I like to separate the two.

islandgyal

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
2,509 136 27
Alleybux
I dont have acne or problem skin cant my essie work for maintenance?
if i need medical guidance i obviously go to my derm.