Quantcast

Student Leadership: Am I in the Right

Overnight Celeb

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
231,872 3,656 610
Alleybux
This sounds like my grad alma mater, even down to the becky w/the non-black mother. :LOL:

I would love to see the responses from other posters. I wouldn’t acknowledge that bµllsh!t at all ... or be petty about the significance if being a proud, unapologetically black woman during this time of great social change ... or some sh!t ...

redbud tree

Ballin in Instabal, Turkey
Reaction score
Reactions
383,664 10,681 3,149
Alleybux
Hello everyone, I apologize if you may see this twice I posted anon but I’m impatient for it to be approved.

Anyway I’m student body Pres at my large PWI university. Today is my last day and I wanna make an outgoing post for all my social media platforms.

Here’s a backstory (I’ll try to keep it short). Last year when I was campaigning I originally said I’d be the first black president but was informed by a previous Pres that there was a black man president. So I did my research and found there were two black men presidents (I intern for one rn :)). Anyway, from then on out I was campaigning as the first black woman president. This went on for two months until inauguration (it was a VERY intense election, I was against a white fraternity and secret society man).

On inauguration night I was informed by a white blonde girl that she remembered her mom was the first black woman president. Mind you this girl was PRAISING me the entire election. So I’m like wtf and do my research and her mom is a white passing blonde woman. Anyway, this b!tch is so bitter she opens a case against me and I’m called into a senate committee and put on trial (our student gov is modeled after USA gov) and my all white peers in this committee say I need to apologize and I’m not the first due to the one drop rule (in fµck!ng 2020). Mind you severa black students came in to the committee and gave public comment about how black and biracial are two different things.

A lot of things happened after this but there were hella anonymous emails sent to student gov officers (usually about me and wanting to recall me), but one email exposed that this girls mom formally identifies as white (they sent proof) and is a registered republican.

I apologize if this is long, the experience was a bit traumatic bc through my presidency I couldn’t be a normal college student and had/continue to have all eyes on me. But am I in the wrong for my last post to say something like “it was an honor being the first black woman president”?

I strongly affirm that I am the first, and I feel it would be wrong to my legacy to be bullied by white supremacists (my school has a white supremacy problem).

I don't understand why you'd be called in front of the senate committee in the first place. You didn't know anything about her mother.

At any rate, I wouldn't put that in my post.

StellarMoon

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
19,010 1,539 770
Alleybux
This sounds like my grad alma mater, even down to the becky w/the non-black mother. :LOL:

I would love to see the responses from other posters. I wouldn’t acknowledge that bµllsh!t at all ... or be petty about the significance if being a proud, unapologetically black woman during this time of great social change ... or some sh!t ...
Lol yeah I’m sure some people will tell me not to put it but to me it’s very special to have this title that really nothing.

Ive done a lot for black students and the community. Even creating a campaign that reached our governor; federal senators and changed oppressive policies on university/state level.

I’m a PR major and it just fits for my branding! Which is why I’d like to leave off with it.

StellarMoon

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
19,010 1,539 770
Alleybux
I don't understand why you'd be called in front of the senate committee in the first place. You didn't know anything about her mother.

At any rate, I wouldn't put that in my post.
Exactly! I was called in because the speaker of the senate (a racist but thats another story) said I was “lying to the student body” it was all made very public and the audio and everything will be up forever and our campus news (they also hated me LMFAO) wrote a huge story on it.

Seoe

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
15,588 398 299
Alleybux
Exactly! I was called in because the speaker of the senate (a racist but thats another story) said I was “lying to the student body” it was all made very public and the audio and everything will be up forever and our campus news (they also hated me LMFAO) wrote a huge story on it.
You should formally seek a retraction from them. That's damaging to your reputation.

Since the proof is there that you were not lying you need to pursue this imo.

You seem to be aiming for prominence and such a story could affect you negatively. A shady IG post is not enough

redbud tree

Ballin in Instabal, Turkey
Reaction score
Reactions
383,664 10,681 3,149
Alleybux

DEFINITELY, BY NO MEANS should you put that bit of pettiness in your last post. Treat it like the public relations document that it is.

If a future interviewer finds out about all of that, and asks you about it, then you get to talk about how you rose above it, and your last post could be evidence of that.

Lol yeah I’m sure some people will tell me not to put it but to me it’s very special to have this title that really nothing.

Ive done a lot for black students and the community. Even creating a campaign that reached our governor; federal senators and changed oppressive policies on university/state level.

I’m a PR major and it just fits for my branding! Which is why I’d like to leave off with it.

They did you dirty, it seems. But this is the kind of thing you should highlight.

Digging in your heels over this, at such an early point in your life, is not at all smart.

I didn't know you were a PR major. I'm really shocked by that.

StellarMoon

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
19,010 1,539 770
Alleybux
DEFINITELY, BY NO MEANS should you put that bit of pettiness in your last post. Treat it like the public relations document that it is.

If a future interviewer finds out about all of that, and asks you about it, then you get to talk about how you rose above it, and your last post could be evidence of that.

They did you dirty, it seems. But this is the kind of thing you should highlight.

Digging in your heels over this, at such an early point in your life, is not at all smart.

I didn't know you were a PR major. I'm really shocked by that.
I’m not doing it to be petty, but to mirror the first post and my brand as the first black woman president.

Not sure if you’re comment about PR was dude but I am really good at personal branding. I know what gets interactions, etc.

The general public seeing the post won’t know about the fiasco. Yes people would be mad, but it’s MY brand lmao. Does that clear anything up?

StellarMoon

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
19,010 1,539 770
Alleybux
You should formally seek a retraction from them. That's damaging to your reputation.

Since the proof is there that you were not lying you need to pursue this imo.

You seem to be aiming for prominence and such a story could affect you negatively. A shady IG post is not enough
True! I guess I can leave it out. However, it’s become a part of my personal branding.

Ambi D

Fishnets, Black panty hose.
Reaction score
Reactions
337,451 7,601 1,811
Alleybux
Leave it out but highlight would like to thank both of your parents by name and background, example if they are African or Caribbean mention that. Also highlight the work you did specifically for black students in the time of BLM and be very heavy handed with it. BUT!!! make sure you highlight the work you've done for others as well. It's important to make everyone feel that you worked for them. Add that you hope the student body president will continue with a commitment to black and students of color students and well as the entire student body.

StellarMoon

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
19,010 1,539 770
Alleybux
Leave it out but highlight would like to thank both of your parents by name and background, example if they are African or Caribbean mention that. Also highlight the work you did specifically for black students in the time of BLM and be very heavy handed with it. BUT!!! make sure you highlight the work you've done for others as well. It's important to make everyone feel that you worked for them. Add that you hope the student body president will continue with a commitment to black and students of color students and well as the entire student body.
Nice! I love that, I won’t be relaying any hopes for the next president cuz he sucks. But I will do a highlight and omit the first black woman thing!

StellarMoon

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
19,010 1,539 770
Alleybux
Thanks for the advice! I’m going to omit the “first black woman” part, everyone knows I’m the first and it doesn’t matter!

I will highlight what I did and that it was an honor serving!

:Axel:

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
61,857 1,016 619
Alleybux
You said you researched it. Did the mother claim the 1st black woman title..if not she didnt give a fµck herself and with the blonde daughter it is obvious why. It was an honor being the first "recognized/known" black woman president if your feeling petty. I would not give a damn unless you purposely ignored the mother bc she is light which this does not sound like.

StellarMoon

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
19,010 1,539 770
Alleybux
You said you researched it. Did the mother claim the 1st black woman title..if not she didnt give a fµck herself and with the blonde daughter it is obvious why. It was an honor being the first "recognized/known" black woman president if your feeling petty. I would not give a damn unless you purposely ignored the mother bc she is light which this does not sound like.
Yep I researched it and nothing came up!
I searched after the fact, and An interview did tho and she was saying she didn’t know what black history month was until she went to college.

TangerYanger

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
5,925 540 297
Alleybux
Though I don't agree with the way this has been handled by your colleague's (setting up a committee to integrate you) and do have sympathy for your situation, I do think it offers a cautionary tale in self-proclaiming that you are the first anything (as you mentioned; you had thought you were the first black president before being notified that not one but two black individuals (albeit not female) had been black and held the position.

We saw this (to a lesser extent) with Kamala Harris with many people/outlets saying she was going to be/was the first VP of colour until the reminder that Herbert Hoover's VP Charles Curtis (an Indigenous man who was 3/5th's Native American) was the first VP of colour back in the 1920s. We see this with Meghan Markle, her son Archie and claims that Queen Charlotte (who may have had African ancestry) was actually the first black member of the British Royal Family. If we look at baseball Jackie Robinson is noted as the first African American to officially break the colour barrier (which he was) but there had been black individuals playing in the major leagues before the barrier was put in place, in addition to rumours that some players (like Babe Ruth) had African-American ancestry. Historians are only now beginning to dig deep into this work and we see more and more that history was much more diverse, confusing, and complicated than we were initially led to believe.

Regardless if you were the first or not (and it should go without saying that you were one of the few of colour or black anyway), it's a huge achievement to be a women of colour to reach the heights you have. Let your appearance, accomplishments and advocacy speak for themselves . Let the historians and others point that out if you go on to do great things.

Mantsho

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
165,122 13,156 9,082
Alleybux
Is this about an important cause to you or your branding going into your career?

If it's about branding, I would include it as it sounds like you broke barriers in times of unrest. Also you can add this in your file.

But then again depends what type of PR you want to do. If it's political, it will stand you in good steed but not if it's generic as whites get jittery no matter how progressive they claim to be.

So think about legacy versus career impact.

StellarMoon

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
19,010 1,539 770
Alleybux
Though I don't agree with the way this has been handled by your colleague's (setting up a committee to integrate you) and do have sympathy for your situation, I do think it offers a cautionary tale in self-proclaiming that you are the first anything (as you mentioned; you had thought you were the first black president before being notified that not one but two black individuals (albeit not female) had been black and held the position.

We saw this (to a lesser extent) with Kamala Harris with many people/outlets saying she was going to be/was the first VP of colour until the reminder that Herbert Hoover's VP Charles Curtis (an Indigenous man who was 3/5th's Native American) was the first VP of colour back in the 1920s. We see this with Meghan Markle, her son Archie and claims that Queen Charlotte (who may have had African ancestry) was actually the first black member of the British Royal Family. If we look at baseball Jackie Robinson is noted as the first African American to officially break the colour barrier (which he was) but there had been black individuals playing in the major leagues before the barrier was put in place, in addition to rumours that some players (like Babe Ruth) had African-American ancestry. Historians are only now beginning to dig deep into this work and we see more and more that history was much more diverse, confusing, and complicated than we were initially led to believe.

Regardless if you were the first or not (and it should go without saying that you were one of the few of colour or black anyway), it's a huge achievement to be a women of colour to reach the heights you have. Let your appearance, accomplishments and advocacy speak for themselves . Let the historians and others point that out if you go on to do great things.
I agree! I’ll leave that out and if people care they will see! And including the biracial woman there’s only 4 of us out of 80 something presidents!
Is this about an important cause to you or your branding going into your career?

If it's about branding, I would include it as it sounds like you broke barriers in times of unrest. Also you can add this in your file.

But then again depends what type of PR you want to do. If it's political, it will stand you in good steed but not if it's generic as whites get jittery no matter how progressive they claim to be.

So think about legacy versus career impact.
Yes, it’s political branding! I want to go into politics and believe I will be great at it. But you’re right I will leave it out! Funny enough, My campaign/platform was actually “Breaking Barriers”!

StellarMoon

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
19,010 1,539 770
Alleybux
I am going to be honest with you, as someone who was a black president of their school, who had to deal with people on their own council trying to impeach and discredit me...get your degree and leave. Don’t let people know they or their words live in your mind. Silence is the best revenge trust me. I had two of the girls that tried to impeach me reach out to me to help them get a job at my organization after they had graduated. Karma is a b!tch and I pay people who do me dirty no mind. Get your degree and go to therapy to unpack your experience.
Thanks! I agree lmao, I'm out of here and on to better things. At the end of the day, I was president they never will be!

Also, congratulations to you! These ppl always try it and I’m a firm believer in karma. Luckily I’ve had my therapist by my side for almost two years. Sad when I graduate I will no longer be able to see him. Wouldn’t be alive without him!