Supporting Partner

incogneato

No face, no case.
Reaction score
Reactions
2,689,527 494,987 222,873
Alleybux
Hi,

My partner is going through one of his depression slumps. What are some things that have helped you through this? For me. it's always been good food, attention, and physical comfort, but he just seems to retract.

We need different things when we're going through slumps, and aside from leaving him alone to watch sports or something, I don't know what else I can do.

Thanks everyone.

Hereforthetea222

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
14,562 345 36
Alleybux
Offering words of encouragement and just letting it be known that you’re there and you’re present means a lot. Even if he just wants his space for now I think he’ll appreciate the fact that you’re there if he needs you.

Good luck to y’all. Depression is an awful monster but being surrounded by love can sometimes make it a little more bearable.

IrisOsiris

Last friday night
Reaction score
Reactions
101,863 3,302 3,198
Alleybux
Hi,

My partner is going through one of his depression slumps. What are some things that have helped you through this? For me. it's always been good food, attention, and physical comfort, but he just seems to retract.

We need different things when we're going through slumps, and aside from leaving him alone to watch sports or something, I don't know what else I can do.

Thanks everyone.
what's causing the slump? my spouse has felt slumps whenever he's been unemployed but...he's pretty good at getting himself over and through those without my help. but try to get to the root of the problem if you can. and do little nice things. like baking for him and giving back and foot rubs. taking care of any business that could take a weight off his shoulders. that sorta thing.

IrisOsiris

Last friday night
Reaction score
Reactions
101,863 3,302 3,198
Alleybux
Hi,

Thanks everyone.
what's causing the slump? my spouse has felt slumps whenever he's been unemployed but...he's pretty good at getting himself over and through those without my help. but try to get to the root of the problem if you can. and do little nice things. like baking for him and giving back and foot rubs. taking care of any business that could take a weight off his shoulders. that sorta thing.

bellzbellz

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
19,192 711 104
Alleybux
Probably filling in on things he can't manage right now. I know some people struggle with cleaning and eating when depressed. Going forward, it would be a good idea for you all to plan ahead for these things because I know how hard it is for folks to communicate when they are depressed.

Also don't feel like you have to take on this work by yourself. Last year, I was successful in gathering some friends to support one of our mutuals when she was struggling mentally. If your partner has friends or family that can be trusted to come through right now, please call them.

NarcoticVenus

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
29,670 734 410
Alleybux
I am not sure if you are using the term depression as in 'having the blues' or in medically diagnosed.

If it is the blues, then a little TLC like others have listed should help him bounce back soon enough.

If he has been medically diagnosed, I hope he is in therapy and/or on medication if needed. I understand that you want to support him, but leaving him to watch sports or cooking special meals isn't enough. You are a loving and caring partner and I know you want the best for him.

Depression is a chronic illness and needs to be treated as such.

BoujeeBae

If there is no way, create one.
Reaction score
Reactions
55,619 848 198
Alleybux
Let him know you're there whenever he needs to talk.

Sit close to him, say nothing and just listen.

Also encourage him to see a therapist

incogneato

No face, no case.
Reaction score
Reactions
2,689,527 494,987 222,873
Alleybux
Thank you for your replies. He is currently seeing a psychologist right now biweekly, which I’m highly thankful for, but I definitely just want to make the harder days a bit easier.

These replies were very helpful and supportive. I appreciate you all!

PSCK

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
5,983 294 112
Alleybux
Wake him up at 6am with soothing and comforting words such as:

"man up, niggggggga!"
"stop being a wuss"
"are you a man or a mouse!?"
"Get some fire in your belly!"