Quantcast

Switching to tech?

LovingonMe1

Princess
Reaction score
Reactions
122,707 11,648 3,650
Alleybux
anyone transitioned from a career to technology without a stem degree or different career?

My major is in Psychology but I am thinking about changing it. I wanted to go into a helping profession but I am realizing that the field I want to go into requires a lot of debt and I don't want to take anymore loans. I was thinking maybe I could do something like volunteering with children as a side gig in the future.

Secrettech25

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
41,143 1,477 421
Alleybux
I had no degree when I switched over to tech; I was literally just a tired waitress. I stayed up after shifts learning how to code and creating profiles and just applying to any and every tech job until someone told me, yes and then I grew my career from there.

You can keep your major and still be able to use it in tech; in fact, your major would be great in UX design.

Honey4

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
183,439 8,785 4,475
Alleybux
I had no degree when I switched over to tech; I was literally just a tired waitress. I stayed up after shifts learning how to code and creating profiles and just applying to any and every tech job until someone told me, yes and then I grew my career from there.

You can keep your major and still be able to use it in tech; in fact, your major would be great in UX design.

are you black?

OhWhatNow

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,537 30 80
Alleybux

Aw, we literally have the same story!

And as for the op, right now is the perfect time to get into tech if you are motivated. It is hard but many companies are trying to get more black and latino people into tech.

LovingonMe1

Princess
Reaction score
Reactions
122,707 11,648 3,650
Alleybux
Aw, we literally have the same story!

And as for the op, right now is the perfect time to get into tech if you are motivated. It is hard but many companies are trying to get more black and latino people into tech.

I wanted to be a behavioral analyst or go into ABA work. As a student, I’m tired of working in the fast food/ retail industry and it’s not satisfying at all.

Kmissa

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
17,606 302 82
Alleybux
Sales, Operations and Customer Success are good ways to get into tech without needing technical skills.

tt00

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
158,158 7,427 1,115
Alleybux
You can as long as you can prove you have the skills and and ability to learn quickly.

I have a liberal arts degree and yes Im black I do just fine in tech

DreamFantasy

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
18,150 549 145
Alleybux
You can as long as you can prove you have the skills and and ability to learn quickly.

I have a liberal arts degree and yes Im black I do just fine in tech
You don't have to learn quickly, just finish no matter what. It's normal to fail, I'm in Computer Science and it is very difficult. OP, try your best and pick yourself up if you fail. Tech is very very difficult.

FruitCake

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
35,307 964 335
Alleybux
^^^ Tech is very hard. Be patient with yourself and don't beat yourself up if you don't get the hang of it quickly. I know as a woman in a male-dominated field you can get a bit insecure, especially as a BW. But 99% of my classmates (Asian males) have no idea what's going on either and I'm usually helping them out lol. Right now is actually the best time to get into tech whether it's a job or studying. COVID has been a blessing because right now I'm taking one of the most difficult classes for my major (Computer Engineering) but I'm taking advantage of having to do schooling at home because there is much less pressure at home than in school. I also have study groups and made friends with classmates which were harder to do in person. And we are allowed to use notes for tests. And I struggle with tests the most but I've been getting high marks.

tt00

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
158,158 7,427 1,115
Alleybux
You don't have to learn quickly, just finish no matter what. It's normal to fail, I'm in Computer Science and it is very difficult. OP, try your best and pick yourself up if you fail. Tech is very very difficult.
It depends on what area of tech you are in . I am systems engineering /infrastructure .. It is very high pace environment in alot of these companies where you literally have to figure ish out quickly to put out fires if not all eyes and pressure is on you to get it fixed because the company may be losing billions or millions of $$$$$. I have been in a few situations like that coming in where there is no documentations on systems in which prior admins left behind. sh!t starts to get really real fast at times. :sweat:

First and foremost is do not panic and remain calm and just get it done . Keep the client / internal customer in the loop.

Secrettech25

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
41,143 1,477 421
Alleybux
are you black?
yep, black and proud.
I’m trying to figure out how you can be skeptical when many black people have the same story. Maybe if you get off LSA and look at the real world you would know that many black prosper in tech without college degrees.

Honey4

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
183,439 8,785 4,475
Alleybux
yep, black and proud.
I’m trying to figure out how you can be skeptical when many black people have the same story. Maybe if you get off LSA and look at the real world you would know that many black prosper in tech without college degrees.
the one's I know did a bootcamp and internship

DreamFantasy

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
18,150 549 145
Alleybux
It depends on what area of tech you are in . I am systems engineering /infrastructure .. It is very high pace environment in alot of these companies where you literally have to figure ish out quickly to put out fires if not all eyes and pressure is on you to get it fixed because the company may be losing billions or millions of $$$$$. I have been in a few situations like that coming in where there is no documentations on systems in which prior admins left behind. sh!t starts to get really real fast at times. :sweat:

First and foremost is do not panic and remain calm and just get it done . Keep the client / internal customer in the loop.
Wow that really seems like a lot of pressure, I wish you the best of luck with that...

ShowMeDaWay

System.out.println("Go to work");
Reaction score
Reactions
28,284 641 367
Alleybux
the one's I know did a bootcamp and internship
What bootcamp did they go to? And was it worth it? Im still debating on self studying then getting various certifications or if i should just join a bootcamp. Im using codeacademy and watching various videos rn.

Sebastian

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
27,603 877 115
Alleybux
You'll be fine! There are people with no degree doing very well in tech.

Look into a reputable bootcamp. If you get sticker-shock, you can go the self-taught route. It'll take a bit longer, but it's completely doable.

Start here to get the frontend basics: freecodecamp.org

Udemy is also a good source. Buy the classes on sale, though. Never pay full price.

foreverbored

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
9,732 196 14
Alleybux

hey what resources did you use to learn? and do you have any tips for job searching. congrats on ur career change!