Quantcast

Synthetic pot is causing people to bleed from their eyes, ears

SwedishPeach

Reaction score
Reactions
93,976 9,561 881
Alleybux
People Are Bleeding From Their Eyes and Ears After Smoking Synthetic Pot in Illinois
March 30, 2018

pjjx55nn5fal3eogb10v.jpg

It’s a sentence that just about sums up 2018 so far: Illinois is dealing with an outbreak of synthetic weed that makes its users bleed from their eyes and ears.

On Thursday, the Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) reported that since March 7, at least 22 people have developed severe bleeding soon after taking synthetic pot products. The bleeding has not only occurred from their eyes and ears, but from their noses and gums as well. Patients have also vomited up and urinated blood, experienced large, unexplainable bruises, and had extremely heavy menstrual bleeding.

There’s been no single product tied to all the cases, though the majority of patients recalled buying their products from dealers, stores, and friends around the Chicago area. As of yet, there have been no reported deaths.

“Despite the perception that synthetic cannabinoids are safe and a legal alternative to marijuana, many are illegal and can cause severe illness,” said Nirav D. Shah, director of the IDPH, in a statement this week. “The recent cases of severe bleeding are evidence of the harm synthetic cannabinoids can cause.”

Manufacturers of these products either spray chemicals believed to mimic the high of conventional marijuana onto smokable herbs or sell the mixtures in a liquid form that can be vaped. The products, packaged as Spice, K2, or a hundred other names, contain an unregulated and ever-changing cocktail of chemicals that can lead to widely different experiences for users.

Leaving aside the Ebola-like trips from hell seen with these recent cases, users have reported psychotic effects, including extreme anxiety, paranoia, and hallucinations, according to the National Institute on Drug Abuse. Others have died.

With the federal and state governments scrambling to ban the ingredients commonly found in these products, manufacturers have continuously formulated new, untested combinations of cannabinoids, a 2015 report by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention noted.

At this point, though, there’s still no concrete answer as to how exactly the pot products are causing the bleeding. An earlier report by the IDPH speculatedthat something in them seems to behave like a “superwarfarin”—referencing the commonly used blood thinner—by quickly blocking the effects of vitamin K in the body. What’s scary is that these sorts of blood thinners take a long time to flush out of the system, meaning the bleeding episodes will likely last a while. Already, the IDPH reports, some patients have been readmitted to a hospital after suffering a relapse.

The IDPH has not immediately responded to a request for comment from Gizmodo.

In response to the outbreak, the agency has warned coroners, schools, and hospitals to remain on the lookout for more cases. It has also advised pharmacies to stock up on their supplies of vitamin K, which potentially could be used to treat a patient suffering from excess bleeding.

People who have purchased these products in the past month should avoid using them, the IDPH says, and any users who experience symptoms of severe bleeding or unexplained bruising should immediately have someone take them to the hospital or call 911.

[Illinois Department of Public Health]

Source

finessse

FINESSE QUEEN
Reaction score
Reactions
313,885 12,114 9,617
Alleybux
I live in middle America (unfortunately) and these people around here smoke that mess like crazy. It damn near has the same affects as meth.

astralheauxxx

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
18,409 244 78
Alleybux
when i read “synthetic pot” i was thought y’all was talking about pots to cook in! i was like “how the bell can a pot do this??” then i realized y’all were talking about weed

meg2sue

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
33,197 841 837
Alleybux
Why would anyone smoke synthetic weed when weed grows naturally from mother earth? Ya'll drug enthusiast will always get caught up in fuckery.

redbud tree

Ballin in Instabal, Turkey
Reaction score
Reactions
383,687 10,681 3,149
Alleybux
Why are people smoking this sh!t?!? Just get some real weed and call it a damn day smh

Why in the hell do people still use this sh!t

Why would anyone smoke synthetic weed when weed grows naturally from mother earth? Ya'll drug enthusiast will always get caught up in fuckery.

I suppose people use it because it's not illegal (at least, not in most places), it doesn't show up in urinalysis, and it's cheap.

SaLiLi

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
261,892 7,386 9,336
Alleybux
it's 2018 tho, this sh!t was poppin' like 2 years ago. all the stuff they know about this drug it shouldn't even be on the market

SSWillows

xoxo
Reaction score
Reactions
124,219 1,720 431
Alleybux
it's 2018 tho, this sh!t was poppin' like 2 years ago. all the stuff they know about this drug it shouldn't even be on the market
That's what I thought, too. I didn't even know k2 was still poppin like that. Down in ratchet ass Florida we had so many teens ending up in the hospital over this sh!t.

Depoze Konpa

Team Owner
Time Out
Reaction score
Reactions
166,099 9,403 8,044
Alleybux
OMG. Does synthetic weed look like the real stuff??? Can someone end up smoking this thing by mistake or does it have a distinctive appearance and smell? I'm shook...

circadian93

Michael "Cakesoap" Jackson
Reaction score
Reactions
56,247 1,896 499
Alleybux
When I used to live in Bedstuy and come off the J train, everyone was on k2. It was like a zombie Apocalypse out there. People were going crazy off it in the streets.

Gives me the same vibes like angel dust.

Ain't seen nothing like it!

parkerboy

Harsh Truths Cut Both Ways
Reaction score
Reactions
159,497 8,420 4,720
Alleybux
If weed was legal there wouldn't have been a market for K2 in the first place. The fake war on drugs created this sh!t.