Quantcast

Taking in a Stray Cat — Advice?

Art Vandelay

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
252 4 2
Alleybux
So, my meth head neighbors have a habit of adopting cats and then leaving them outside/not caring for them and I've been feeding one of them for a few months now. She's v. friendly and I think she was an indoor cat at one point but for at least a year now, she's been an outside only cat. She was a bit shy around people at first but is now the sweetest cat and I've been thinking about taking her in but I've never had a cat before; I've always been a dog person. I'm taking her to the vet sometime this week to make sure she's healthy and have been looking into buying a litter box, scratching post, etc. for her. Is there anything else I can do to make the transition from outside cat to inside cat easier on her?

Liz Gregory

Mrs. Reverend Doctor Reuben Gregory
Reaction score
Reactions
255,711 8,110 17,726
Alleybux
You need to be careful when handling that cat. Who knows what it has been into, bitten by, fed, etc. You also need to take it to the veterinarian to get a complete physical [shots, flea checks, etc.]. Good luck.

Art Vandelay

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
252 4 2
Alleybux
You need to be careful when handling that cat. Who knows what it has been into, bitten by, fed, etc. You also need to take it to the veterinarian to get a complete physical [shots, flea checks, etc.]. Good luck.

Since I've been feeding her, she's basically set up camp at my house. With the exception of a few hours a day, she usually has her ass parked in a basket on my back porch. I do plan to get her up to date with vaccinations and whatever else she may need, tho. I noticed a tick on her the other day, which is partly what inspired me to take her in — once she's clear, of course. I just don't want her to get into anything else or wind up getting bitten/attacked by something outside as she really is a sweet animal; very affectionate towards me and anyone who comes into contact with her.

Reaction score
Reactions
75,668 1,640 2,662
Alleybux
i took in a stray calico that i found on the corner of my block when it was raining and snowing- six years later and she is queen of the house (she's outlived my other cat and my dog).

what i did with her was let her hide under the bed for as long as she wanted, but would stop by to talk to her frequently. i left her a big bowl of water and a big bowl of dry food, so she could get used to having access all the time, which i assumed would comfort her.

i also took her to the vet the day after i took her in, got her all her shots and checked to see if she had been spayed (she had been. that and the lack of scars on her ears led me to believe that she had been a bodega cat that had been abandoned).

i have a backyard, so from the very beginning i let her have access via the kitchen window. i knew there was a chance she might decide to head and and not come back, but she was contented with us, so she never left- i've had two apartments since i got her and she knows she's part of the family.

oh, one small thing- a lot of stray cats have ear mites. you might want to check her ears. if you see that the insides are coated in black waxy stuff those are ear mites- you can clean them out with a q-tip dipped in rubbing alcohol, or you could ask your vet to check them.

blumyst

Minding my business
Reaction score
Reactions
36,219 751 214
Alleybux
both of my fur babies were strays that I adopt when they were about 6 months. I suggest to get her to be tested. A vet exam is around $100 or so dollars, but if money is tight, look for a rescue shelter that'll do the exams and shots for free or a reduced cost.

let her roam the house to get familiarized with her surroundings and if you have other pets, keep her apart for them for a while until she gets her shots.

Reaction score
Reactions
7,391 262 53
Alleybux
You should take her in. We found my cat on the neighbors lawn and I'm pretty sure she was an indoor cat also. She's likely to find a spot in the house that she'll like (mine stayed at the top of the stairs) but after a while she'll become more comfortable and confident in making your place her home and since she's so nice she's likely not feral. I think you'll love having her.

FridaKahlo

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
14,927 401 91
Alleybux
Catch her, if you can, and take her to a vet. Tell them everything you know about her environment.

Then, bring her home and treat her well! She has chosen you.

You will be blessed, I promise you!

Felixthecat

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
20,379 751 625
Alleybux
Chile, a pregnant stray cat showed up at my door looking pitiful. Took her in, took her to the vet, fixed up place on enclosed porch for her to give birth, but noooo she had to go into labor under the living room sofa on carpet! Anyway, I had fun with the kittens, found homes for all of them Good luck!

NuAgeWildflower

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
112,253 4,180 1,431
Alleybux
Take her to the vet before bringing her into your home. They need to check her for EVERYTHING...blood workup, x-rays, skin exam, everything.

If she's cleared, and you bring her home, purchase FOOD GRADE diatomaceous earth to use in her litter box (sprinkle a bit in with the litter) and in her wet food (very small amount). If she has intestinal parasites, this will clear it up. Ark Naturals has really good products for animals. I love their Neem Protect Spray to use on their coat. Initially, only my dog would let me spray and comb him, but now my cat has grown accustomed to it. This will help clear up any cuts or scrapes she might have.

Good luck.

Pearl Shay

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
168,339 3,565 714
Alleybux
Good on you, OP.

http://www.amazon.com/Litter-Genie-...8&qid=1432838819&sr=8-1&keywords=litterlocker

One cartridge for one cat will last for MONTHS. I have 2 and it's last several months. No matter what the box says, bags are 14 feet, now. Makes cleaning up litter a breeze.

http://www.amazon.com/Catit-Jumbo-H...TF8&qid=1432838807&sr=1-4&keywords=litter+box

Best litter box ever. Looks sleek and nice. Great size. You won't have to clean it as often as other boxes.

These two things will make what people consider the most arduous part, an afterthought.

As far as adjusting..hm...not sure. I'm sure others can provide some good advice there. Mine are inside but we had some outside/inside cats when I was younger. They usually scratched on the door when they wanted to come in or out. It's best to keep them in, you avoid a lot of problems. No fleas despite taking them out daily (accompanying them in the yard), no injuries, none of those transferable diseases. I'll post if I think of something else.

Art Vandelay

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
252 4 2
Alleybux
Chile, a pregnant stray cat showed up at my door looking pitiful. Took her in, took her to the vet, fixed up place on enclosed porch for her to give birth, but noooo she had to go into labor under the living room sofa on carpet! Anyway, I had fun with the kittens, found homes for all of them Good luck!

omg, I'm so sorry. I took care of another stray for all of December (re-homed him on New Year's Day) and since it was so cold here, I built him a little insulated home so he had a warm place to sleep at night and stay out of the snow and his ass spent all of 1 hour in it then decided he wanted out. These cats don't appreciate nothin'. :icon10:

Wilson19

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
12,153 272 72
Alleybux
All of mine have been rescues/strays, and all have been a joy.

One that I too in used to visit daily to get fed, then one day one may way to work I saw her and she had injured her eye. She was waiting for me when I got home that night, and followed me home, I didn't take her in that night, but I caught her the next day, and took her to the vet. Had to have her eye removed, she was all black, so I named her Sammy (after Sammy D Jr.) ... We used to call her the hippest Jew on the block.

She was such a sweet sweet girl. I miss her every day.

You won't be sorry, like the poster above said, she chose you. It's meant to be.

Art Vandelay

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
252 4 2
Alleybux
Good on you, OP.

http://www.amazon.com/Litter-Genie-...8&qid=1432838819&sr=8-1&keywords=litterlocker

One cartridge for one cat will last for MONTHS. I have 2 and it's last several months. No matter what the box says, bags are 14 feet, now. Makes cleaning up litter a breeze.

http://www.amazon.com/Catit-Jumbo-H...TF8&qid=1432838807&sr=1-4&keywords=litter+box

Best litter box ever. Looks sleek and nice. Great size. You won't have to clean it as often as other boxes.

These two things will make what people consider the most arduous part, an afterthought.

As far as adjusting..hm...not sure. I'm sure others can provide some good advice there. Mine are inside but we had some outside/inside cats when I was younger. They usually scratched on the door when they wanted to come in or out. It's best to keep them in, you avoid a lot of problems. No fleas despite taking them out daily (accompanying them in the yard), no injuries, none of those transferable diseases. I'll post if I think of something else.

Thank you for the recs! I'm so glad I made this thread because honestly I had no idea about some of this stuff, like a proper disposal system. That litter box is actually one I was considering, tho. It was between that and one without a hood/lid. Is there a big difference between the two or does it just come down to preference/aesthetic?

Art Vandelay

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
252 4 2
Alleybux
All of mine have been rescues/strays, and all have been a joy.

One that I too in used to visit daily to get fed, then one day one may way to work I saw her and she had injured her eye. She was waiting for me when I got home that night, and followed me home, I didn't take her in that night, but I caught her the next day, and took her to the vet. Had to have her eye removed, she was all black, so I named her Sammy (after Sammy D Jr.) ... We used to call her the hippest Jew on the block.

She was such a sweet sweet girl. I miss her every day.

You won't be sorry, like the poster above said, she chose you. It's meant to be.

:dead:

I'm sorry for your loss but good on you for taking her in despite the issues. Many people wouldn't have been as kind, unfortunately.

Pearl Shay

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
168,339 3,565 714
Alleybux
Thank you for the recs! I'm so glad I made this thread because honestly I had no idea about some of this stuff, like a proper disposal system. That litter box is actually one I was considering, tho. It was between that and one without a hood/lid. Is there a big difference between the two or does it just come down to preference/aesthetic?

I prefer hooded ones (with the plastic door taken off), so that litter isn't kicked out when they're using it.

krikzil

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
158,852 2,048 2,097
Alleybux
All of mine have been strays and adjusted to indoor life. My current 3 girls were born to a feral I was feeding and I took them in and never have regretted it.

News Alley

Ask LSA

Top Bottom