Quantcast

Teaching during the Pandemic (Fall 2020)

AmusedByIdiocy

Sense and Sensibility
Reaction score
Reactions
222,192 7,127 2,872
Alleybux
Zoom fatigue is real. My students are going through it and email with all kinds of upheaval in their lives. I’m extending grace to myself and to them. The world is going through hell, none of us need the extra pressure.

They’re performing well, tell me how grateful they are that they get to be open in my class, and I need a vacation. I do like not having to commute. It helps me be punctual :)

Good thread.

SeminoleSista87

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,002 27 1
Alleybux
fµck it.

I took a leave of absence.

I want out of the profession.

I did both. Leave of absence first. Then I took a job outside my district teaching virtually elsewhere. I hope to return my classroom next fall. I’m not happy about leaving but I’m sure I wouldn’t have been happy had I stayed during this climate.

Evil Twin

Speed Demon
Reaction score
Reactions
9,441 228 23
Alleybux
Not a teacher but, I don't see how y'all do it, ESPECIALLY now with the parents acting like they are too dumb to know how zoom works. I heard two people complaining about it in the store the other day. LOL

CurlyDessie

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
11,799 362 195
Alleybux
It's draining. I'm really sick of being on the computer all day long. Then you have kids who don't respond to assignments, tech issues, and a low morale overall. You STILL have kids who can't get a private, quiet space to work and figure out how to get on Zoom. I'm just tired. Plus, I would give anything to see my kids in person. I'd take my irritating ones who make me want to throw them out the window to my sweet/teachers pets.

Pearlg

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,138 24
Alleybux
1. I don't have problem with working from the house, I love it. (I don't have to physically see my colleagues, so I am good)

2. Interferences of parents. That is what I do not like. Talking to their children during class. Working from the same room, so when I ask a student a question, I hear the parent phoning for work. I had a parent vacuuming. I had a parent answering the question for their son. Had a parent respond to a story I told my students.

3. I can't have real one on one time with students, to have confidential conversations. Some of them need this. Some of them are never alone.

4. I hoped the meetings were going to be shorter and more effective. Girl, was I wrong!

5. My house is a mess.

Lady Spencer

Princess of Wales
Reaction score
Reactions
79,748 4,835 951
Alleybux
Let me add:

I was working from home after I told me principal that my son is high risk with a chronic illness and he's virtual.

Principal let me work from home for 2 months until recently when he asked everyone to be back. Im guessing because its a state school with low grades.

I said fµck THIS sh!t. MY SON'S HEALTH IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN THESE KIDS.

Im taking leave and don't want to be back in the profession once my leave is over.

Last edited:

Johnjohn15

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
Zoom fatigue is real. I teach students with disabilities, so many of them are hands on. It’s been tough. I thought we were going back, but it looks like that’s a no since cases are rising.

To all my teacher fonts: stay motivated! We got this.

rivalli

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
2,474 98 21
Alleybux
I'm jealous. I am an Art teacher and they have me teaching kids in person almost 30 +. Please pray for me cause I am going to quit come December.

ChihulyGlass

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
26,600 1,464 715
Alleybux
I'm jealous. I am an Art teacher and they have me teaching kids in person almost 30 +. Please pray for me cause I am going to quit come December.

You can do it. Make sure they stay several feet away from your desk. I'd put together a nice little art packet with some coloring sheets from Google Arts and Society. Get you a little kid friendly story about an artist for your older children. Put the crayons, markers, glue or baby scissors out for each desk in a little cup. Then pass out some wipes, have them rub that desk and those crayons down when they finish. Have them sit in the seat, social distancing with a mask. Then for my Kindergarteners and Second graders, I'd find me an Art children's book. Put it up on the screen. They like to look at the screen these days. Read them some books for 30 or 40 minutes. There you go. You've made it through the day. It doesn't have to been an art book either.

ChihulyGlass

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
26,600 1,464 715
Alleybux
I liked working from home. Now I have to go back. I liked it when a child cut up in Zoom. I could just turn his or her microphone and camera off. No harm done. Now, I have to see my children in person. Their behavior is not the best.

Plus, it's a blessing to have a job where I can just get up take a bath and head to the living room. It's better than before the pandemic. Before we got out from school. Two boys jump another boy. They beat him up so bad he defecated on himself. They also broke his foot. He was wearing a boot before we got out. So I can't relate to Zoom fatigue. I'm thankful to be safe and at home.

Last edited: