Quantcast

Teaching ESL online?

Bumblebot

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
7,858 1,352 51
Alleybux
I had been thinking about getting my teacher certification since I already have my bachelors but the salary isn’t worth it in my state. I researched teaching esl online bc I eventually want to abroad but it’s just not feasible now with a 1 year old. So I got my TESOL and was just offered a contract through a company teaching English to Chinese students. I figure it’s perfect for part time bc the hours are when my child is sleeping, and they are flexible with days and times.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Advice on being successful?

hotgirl1983

Never met a stranger
Reaction score
Reactions
6,696 130 19
Alleybux
I'm an ESL teacher by trade....worked overseas teaching in a few countries and I have a M.S ED in TESOL under my belt....

Most of these online schools want you to teach small children basic English concepts in a fun, high energy way......Usually, you'll get students based on your ability to engage and keep them happy...

Be high energy, never tell the kids, flat-out, that they're wrong and use things like a teddy bear if they're really young to be silly with and you'll be fine....be super friendly and smile and you should be fine...

Just so you know, Chinese parents go extra hard in the paint when the kids are older but when they are young, they expect them to have fun......I taught in China for a few years and I was too serious for younger kids....just have fun and you'll do well...

Also, feel free to ask any questions in regards to the profession....I've been in ESL for years so.....

Best of success on the new job! :)

Last edited:

Razmatazz

Leave it, so I can delete it
Reaction score
Reactions
38,427 598 45
Alleybux

She tells about her experience with this company and talks a little bit about her teaching methods.

Bumblebot

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
7,858 1,352 51
Alleybux
I'm an ESL teacher by trade....worked overseas teaching in a few countries and I have a M.S ED in TESOL under my belt....

Most of these online schools want you to teach small children basic English concepts in a fun, high energy way......Usually, you'll get students based on your ability to engage and keep them happy...

Be high energy, never tell the kids, flat-out, that they're wrong and use things like a teddy bear if they're really young to be silly with and you'll be fine....be super friendly and smile and you should be fine...

Just so you know, Chinese parents go extra hard in the paint when the kids are older but when they are young, they expect them to have fun......I taught in China for a few years and I was too serious for younger kids....just have fun and you'll do well...

Also, feel free to ask any questions in regards to the profession....I've been in ESL for years so.....

Thank you so much! I’m a little nervous because I im definitely more introverted but I did have fun during the mock class and I absolutely LOVE working with kids. Thank you for the advice!!

What countries did you work in? I am hoping to teach in the UAE eventually.

hotgirl1983

Never met a stranger
Reaction score
Reactions
6,696 130 19
Alleybux
Thank you so much! I’m a little nervous because I im definitely more introverted but I did have fun during the mock class and I absolutely LOVE working with kids. Thank you for the advice!!

What countries did you work in? I am hoping to teach in the UAE eventually.

Hey, sorry for the late reply...
I've taught in China, Saudi Arabia and an insignificant, small Eastern European country, Georgia...teaching in UAE has it challenges but I say go for for it....FYI, the new place on most ppl's radars is Kuwait...the money is better there and the cost of living is low so you can save quite a lot of your check....if you want to teach in UAE, I suggest not getting an ESL certification....they usually want you to have a general ed cert.....( english, math, social studies....etc)

your lady

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
720 54 13
Alleybux
Hey, sorry for the late reply...
I've taught in China, Saudi Arabia and an insignificant, small Eastern European country, Georgia...teaching in UAE has it challenges but I say go for for it....FYI, the new place on most ppl's radars is Kuwait...the money is better there and the cost of living is low so you can save quite a lot of your check....if you want to teach in UAE, I suggest not getting an ESL certification....they usually want you to have a general ed cert.....( english, math, social studies....etc)
How do you find ESL jobs in the UAE that are legitimate? Do you need a certification if you only have a BA?

hotgirl1983

Never met a stranger
Reaction score
Reactions
6,696 130 19
Alleybux
How do you find ESL jobs in the UAE that are legitimate? Do you need a certification if you only have a BA?

...So let me say that teaching in the UAE is usually where you go after you have years of experience teaching overseas. Very rarely do ppl go there directly. Most schools want you to have a minimum of teaching 2 years overseas....for the UAE, most want you to have one year GCC experience, like teaching in Saudi, Egypt, etc...

Jobs in UAE generally require state/ regional certification so...T each A Way ( I'm distorting the names of companies so this thread doesnt appear in a Google search) is popular for UAE. If you have a state/ regional cert in something other than ESL, apply directly thru them...

Also, teaching groups on FB do a lot of direct hires. I found all my jobs using S er iou$ Tea c %hers .com...another big one is Dave's E$L C%afe

So...do you need a cert if you have only a B.A....to teach in UAE, absolutely. You need, not a TESL certificate usually acquired at some random school, but a state/ regional teaching cert in general ed done at a brick and mortar school. The UAE is where you go at the apex of your career in TESL....I have 5+ years overseas teaching experience and a M.S Ed in TESOL and I don't qualify for jobs in the UAE....they want a general ed cert and since I don't have it....i disqualifies me...

The CELTA is a fair equivalent to begin teaching overseas but most jobs in UAE will want you to have a general ed cert (Math, science, english, social studies)

In regards to legitimacy, that's not usually an issue in the GCC...that's more of a China kinda problem....but in general, every country where you teach has fair laws for foreign teachers so it's hard for companies to shaft you, these days....

If you want to teach overseas with just a B.A and no cert, consider Vietnam, China, Thailand...then after you get some experience, start applying for Saudi, a place I'm returning to next week:) or Oman or Qatar...and just start working your way up.....These are just my professional opinions and observations...things in the industry change often, usually every fall...you'll find the salaries change drastically, as do the requirements....so keep that in mind as well....

Last edited:
Reaction score
Reactions
4,516 125 122
Alleybux
I'm thinking about teaching online with VIPKID. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice?

NeNe HairPiece

Executive of Alaska
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
61,983 843 235
Alleybux
Bumping this. I just received an email about a VIPKID job and wanted to hear your experience with them.

simo Hayer

Sniper in the Kingdom still Gigiangel
Reaction score
Reactions
79,097 4,213 3,254
Alleybux

I'm thinking of going overseas South Korea but how was your experience in China and was your Esl degree enough, did you need an Efl certificate?

Golden Sky

MVP
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
6,857 320 617
Alleybux
I'll be watching this thread. I really want to be an ESL teacher (mostly just a teacher in general) and I heard good things about VIPKid. I don't have a degree right now but i will be going to school for Elementary Education next semester.

pink12

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
2,338 4 5
Alleybux
Awesome thread! I just bought a class to prepare for the TESOL cert. I don’t having a teaching background but I’ve worked in higher ed for the last 5 years. For the ones who are ESL teachers were you teaching in a classroom before and decided to transition? Thanks

PrettyReckless

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
767 11 1
Alleybux
I work for QKids and i LOVE it!!! Unlike Gogo Kid (which I also work for) and VIP Kids, Qkids books you instead of the parents booking you. SO you don't have to worry about "selling" your self as a teacher. I have worked for Qkids for about a month and I have taught more classes there than in the entire two months I have been with GoGokid. I'm legit fully booked. You can definitely hit me if you are interested.

Qkids - Register .

PrettyReckless

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
767 11 1
Alleybux
Awesome thread! I just bought a class to prepare for the TESOL cert. I don’t having a teaching background but I’ve worked in higher ed for the last 5 years. For the ones who are ESL teachers were you teaching in a classroom before and decided to transition? Thanks

I'm still in the classroom so i work around it. I teach before I go to work. It has been really good so far. I'm going to buy one of those TESOL classes on groupon and do it over the summer. Qkids hasnt really asked for anything

PrettyReckless

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
767 11 1
Alleybux
I had been thinking about getting my teacher certification since I already have my bachelors but the salary isn’t worth it in my state. I researched teaching esl online bc I eventually want to abroad but it’s just not feasible now with a 1 year old. So I got my TESOL and was just offered a contract through a company teaching English to Chinese students. I figure it’s perfect for part time bc the hours are when my child is sleeping, and they are flexible with days and times.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Advice on being successful?

Did you go through with it?

PrettyReckless

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
767 11 1
Alleybux
I'll be watching this thread. I really want to be an ESL teacher (mostly just a teacher in general) and I heard good things about VIPKid. I don't have a degree right now but i will be going to school for Elementary Education next semester.

Are you currently enrolled? Qkids does hire college students, those pursuing a degree

nighttime

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
4,449 489 721
Alleybux
One of the down-sides to the ESL world is that if you're not from the US, Canada, or UK (and then Australia, New Zealand, Ireland and in some cases South Africa) then it's also impossible to get hired. I *AM* a native English speaker but not according to these ESL companies' standards. Hard luck

PrettyReckless

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
767 11 1
Alleybux
Update: Qkids did fire me last year during the pandemic. I was missing hella classes because of family/covid stuff.

Good News they did rehire me. I literally just applied under a new email. I still love it. I did get a tesol from groupon