Teaching your kids adult chores

Probowl

The Most Popular!
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
41,655 489 1,017
Alleybux
I think I was 14 when I learned to iron. My best friend was ironing from 12 and I dint know how. I used to take my Lee's over her house to put creases in them. But when she couldn't iron for me I had to learn.

Well I was teaching my 13 year old how to iron today. I tell you when they start growing up you just can't tell them to do this or that but you have to really take the time to teach them how to do stuff so that it stays with them when they get older.

I know my mother just expected me to do stuff but she never taught me cuz she was too busy getting frustrated when I did stuff wrong that she would just do it herself.

havelock

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
133,437 4,137 2,794
Alleybux
I was ironing from 10.
Laundry from about the same age.

When I got into secondary school.
Had too much stuff. Blazers, trousers, white shirts,
sports uniforms, my mum showed me once
then I was on my own.

Philosothot

Side Chick Du Jour
Reaction score
Reactions
38,238 174 119
Alleybux
I don't know how to properly iron but none of my clothes really need to be ironed anyway. I take my pants and button shirts to the cleaners. I still don't do laundry right. It's a dang shame.

UGiveGoodLuv2Me

Team Owner
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
42,611 70 81
Alleybux
I started learning to Iron way before 10...maybe as early as 8...cuz I don't recall my Mama ironing my clothes for me in elementary...wtf? LMAO at the thought.

Plus my Granny was ole skool and had a clothes line out back...and one of them old fashioned washers with the press...chile...that sh!t was HELL...I been hanging clothes out to dry since I was a toddler.

She prolly started using a dryer when I was about 10 or 12...and damned if I ain't have to sit up there with her for hours at the laundromat...OMG...why didn't none of my other cousins have to do that sh!t?

Nura

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
12,057 10 12
Alleybux
I agree, you have to show them how to do it correctly.

Sadly I really dont know how to iron clothes well because I never had to do it, and now everything is on a hanger.

I will definitely try to teach my kids to clean, but it seems like such a test of patience because u have to let them do it, but I know I will just go behind them and do it right.

ygnom

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
40,790 19 18
Alleybux
I still don't know how to iron lol, but I try when I absolutely have to.
I started doing laundry when I was 16 (I know) and I had to beg my mom to let me do it. My parents never really pushed chores on my siblings and me. I think I'll teach my children "adult" chores a an earlier age because I have cousins that did and they can take of themselves. I've always been and still am pretty sheltered.

Genay

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
5,041 25 23
Alleybux
I didn't learn to iron until college, that's when I had to start taking care of myself.

Mrs.MichoBaby

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
42,057 3,765 5,724
Alleybux
I've been doing chores since I was 9. I grew up in a haitian household and it was imperative to my well-being that I handled my chores. Not doing my chores would earn me a story of how sh!t was difficult for them in Haiti coupled with a few hits to my backside with my dads thick ass belt

yoplait

General Manager
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
2,613 2 1
Alleybux
Most of my clothes go to the cleaners but I started ironing in high school. I learned how to do laundry a few weeks before college. Although I saw my mom do laundry plenty of times and pretty much knew what to do, I never had to wash my own clothes until then.

I don't feel bad about being a late bloomer on laundry/ironing though because I had to teach my college roommate how to do both. I laughed when I saw her loading her white clothes into the washer right alongside her colored clothing but lucky for her I stopped her before she started the machine.

MissLady2

The Only Way To Be
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
6,639 3 1
Alleybux
My mother thought me how to iron when I was 10. I still remember burning myself. I started doing my own laundry around the same age. I think before that, my father use to make me take his clothes out the washing machine & put them into the dryer, which was like training me for the big day. I started washing dishes when I could reach the facet. My parents even got me a stool. They weren't playing. So at an early age I learned a lot and I appreciate everything they've thought me.

brownskingyal

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
6,441 26 31
Alleybux
Its important to teach your kids adult chores early. You want them to learn how to do things for themselves especially girl children who are expected to marry and have families who they have to tend to. Kids should learn to iron, cook, clean, all of that from they are young. I'm late with the cooking but its all of these things are good to know so when you as a parent aren't always around they can take care of themselves.

Carl Grimey

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
64,501 28 23
Alleybux
it was the good life until i got into the 6th grade. Everything was up to me after that point.

kris_517

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
368,818 5,350 1,216
Alleybux
^^ Once I was in 10-11 I remember having to wash dishes and clean up. I think I already learned to iron by then though.

maddawg

aka GTFOHWTBS!!!!
Reaction score
Reactions
17,853 3
Alleybux
it was the good life until i got into the 6th grade. Everything was up to me after that point.

Pretty much. It was around 5th/6th grade that I started learning how to do for myself. Valuable lessons all kids should learn.

MissMochaLatte

General Manager
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
5,269 2
Alleybux
I've been doing chores since I was 9. I grew up in a haitian household and it was imperative to my well-being that I handled my chores. Not doing my chores would earn me a story of how sh!t was difficult for them in Haiti coupled with a few hits to my backside with my dads thick ass belt

I feel you on all the above, just swap Haitian with Bajan LOL! That's imperative to any West Indian child's well-being!

pistolino

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
25,970 262 43
Alleybux

Oh LAWD, my father is from Italy and he used to tell us he was wiping his ass with leaves! I swear he would bring out these stories about how hard it was and half of them I'm not sure if they were true or not.

Probowl

The Most Popular!
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
41,655 489 1,017
Alleybux
I agree, you have to show them how to do it correctly.

Sadly I really dont know how to iron clothes well because I never had to do it, and now everything is on a hanger.

I will definitely try to teach my kids to clean, but it seems like such a test of patience because u have to let them do it, but I know I will just go behind them and do it right.

The thing is that in a simplier time, I used to be able to go after them and do it right, but now they just have to learn to get it right from the beginning or it can talk a lot of my time going behind them.

CaliKitten

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,084 4 1
Alleybux
I learned how to wash and iron in the 10th grade when I lived with my dad for a hot minute. I didn't have to do it for long because once I moved back home, my mom handled it. I'm in my 30s now and I can do both with no problem but I can't teach my nine-year-old yet. She's too clumsy actually.......but when she turns about 12, it's on.

I do make her sort her own laundry though.....that's a start :)

Probowl

The Most Popular!
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
41,655 489 1,017
Alleybux
My mother thought me how to iron when I was 10. I still remember burning myself. I started doing my own laundry around the same age. I think before that, my father use to make me take his clothes out the washing machine & put them into the dryer, which was like training me for the big day. I started washing dishes when I could reach the facet. My parents even got me a stool. They weren't playing. So at an early age I learned a lot and I appreciate everything they've thought me.

The stool was funny!

hopeful1

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
28,374 386 124
Alleybux
We're not to the ironing stage yet; they're just 5. However, they do know how to sort clothes, fix their beds, and take out the trash/recycling (though they don't go alone) among other things. Have a safe weekend, everyone.

west_coaster

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
11,819 7 23
Alleybux
I was the baby of the family, so my mom wanted to do everything for me :eyeroll: I decided not to make that mistake with my child. I started teaching her how to clean when she was in preschool. "You mess it up, you clean it up". She started folding towels to perfection in preschool, as well. She started washing her own dishes when she was about 6, maybe 7. She's done laundry with me for a few years, but not on her own, yet. As far as ironing, she's not ready, well, I'm not ready; I don't want to risk her getting burned. Oh, and she's been helping me cook since she was about 6. She loves the independence and so do I.

Mrs.MichoBaby

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
42,057 3,765 5,724
Alleybux
Oh LAWD, my father is from Italy and he used to tell us he was wiping his ass with leaves! I swear he would bring out these stories about how hard it was and half of them I'm not sure if they were true or not.

Ha-ha, mines to. I thought my father was the only one peddling that wiping the ass with the leaves, story. In my mind, I use to call bµllsh!t. My dad alwayz complaining about how I don't know how good I have it. I don't have no cows, chicken or animals to get up at 6 in the morning to care for, before I have to walk the 3-4 miles to school, sometimes barefoot(bµllsh!t). Or how they had to wash their clothes in the stream in the back of the house or beat their rug with a stick. Or how I have the luxury of a car, while all they had was a horse for him and six of his siblings to use(again, I call bµllsh!t). I believe some of my dads story be some bµllsh!t.

Kay Star

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
2,055 2
Alleybux
I started ironing my school uniform at 12. Those pleated skirts had me so frustrated.

Started standing on a chair and washing dishes from I was seven or eight, except for drinking glasses. I know was cleaning the bathroom when I was ten. Took me a while to figure out how to sweep with a broom properly.

Polished the house furniture from I was six.

HotNerd10

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
68,415 539 33
Alleybux
I was 8 yr old when my mama told me "come hear I wana teach you how to wash cause your going to be doing it soon"... And right after that I was LOL

I was about the same age when I was cooking in the house without supervision (my sister who was 5yrs older than me was being a teen at the time and didn't want to hang with her nosy little sister at the time) and my mama was going to crack my head.... until she tasted my food... then the warning was "Just don't burn my house down"....

I was about 10 or 11 ironing

and about 12 when I learned the proper way to load a dishwasher (she handed me a diagram and said LEARN IT) ...

I'm not against teaching kids at a young age how to do certain chores... It teaches them self reliance....

Probowl

The Most Popular!
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
41,655 489 1,017
Alleybux
I was the baby of the family, so my mom wanted to do everything for me :eyeroll: I decided not to make that mistake with my child. I started teaching her how to clean when she was in preschool. "You mess it up, you clean it up". She started folding towels to perfection in preschool, as well. She started washing her own dishes when she was about 6, maybe 7. She's done laundry with me for a few years, but not on her own, yet. As far as ironing, she's not ready, well, I'm not ready; I don't want to risk her getting burned. Oh, and she's been helping me cook since she was about 6. She loves the independence and so do I.

Can you send her over to my house.

Probowl

The Most Popular!
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
41,655 489 1,017
Alleybux
Ha-ha, mines to. I thought my father was the only one peddling that wiping the ass with the leaves, story. In my mind, I use to call bµllsh!t. My dad alwayz complaining about how I don't know how good I have it. I don't have no cows, chicken or animals to get up at 6 in the morning to care for, before I have to walk the 3-4 miles to school, sometimes barefoot(bµllsh!t). Or how they had to wash their clothes in the stream in the back of the house or beat their rug with a stick. Or how I have the luxury of a car, while all they had was a horse for him and six of his siblings to use(again, I call bµllsh!t). I believe some of my dads story be some bµllsh!t.

That's pretty funny!

Mrs.MichoBaby

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
42,057 3,765 5,724
Alleybux

Girl, that is wuzzup. I applaud you. I pray when I have kids, they'll be like yours.

Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
Ive been doin chores ever since i could remember.....i think i started ironing my own clothes in elementary skool {my mother taught me how to iron clothes :)}

gisele

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
kudos... my child learned how to iron, do chores that will make him more independent, organized... understand that you play hard, you clean.. and a house is a reflection of you... if its nasty inside then what that tells you... i agree.. my baby cleans

Ghigau

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
18,998 192 24
Alleybux
My son just turned 8 but sometime last year I started teaching my son to take out the trash, clean the bathroom sink and toilet, wash dishes (yes, I supervise and double check them), and I make him help with laundry and fold and hang up his own clothes. I am NOT a maid. I'm just his momma. LOL! I dont play that sh!t. They wont get folded or hung up by me, their not my clothes. LOL!

pistolino

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
25,970 262 43
Alleybux

LOL yeah, they love to tell how they had to ride animals, my dad said he had to ride a donkey. I know he lived in a little village, but today I can see it with Google maps and there is no way it could've been THAT primitive back in the day cuz it looks pretty modern now.

When we were really little we asked him how he came over here and he said he had to walk down to the tip of the boot and it kicked him over the ocean, so he was certainly capable of making up stories.

NegativeNancy

Hopeful
Reaction score
Reactions
20,532 9 14
Alleybux
My mom didn't teach me how to do sh!t. I was the youngest, I think she was done by time I came around.

BestdressedJess

<span style="font-weight: bold;color: red;"><span
Reaction score
Reactions
4,410 6 1
Alleybux
I was sooo jealous/embarassed when I was around 12 and I would visit my friend in Brooklyn. She would iron her own clothes and I would try to iron mine only to have her mom do it over for me. Lmao hell to this day I can't iron. Straight out the dryer :shut-mouth:

AndWhatNow

General Manager
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
7,696 2 2
Alleybux
My son just turned 8 but sometime last year I started teaching my son to take out the trash, clean the bathroom sink and toilet, wash dishes (yes, I supervise and double check them), and I make him help with laundry and fold and hang up his own clothes. I am NOT a maid. I'm just his momma. LOL! I dont play that sh!t. They wont get folded or hung up by me, their not my clothes. LOL!

My sons are 8 and I started assigning chores like making sure the living room and hallways are swept, dishes are washed, and trash taken out. I have them sort clothes for laundry for them to understand whites don't go with colors.

I will start with cooking slowly just like making scrambled eggs but my parents jumped the gun and have them making pancakes now.

I keep telling them I wont be around forever and some women will not be able to do housework so they must know how to maintain themselves.

however, they can do all of the above but refuse to keep their room clean which is the start of my HBP. go figure.