Quantcast

Teaching yourself to code

incogneato

No face, no case.
Reaction score
Reactions
2,688,807 494,847 222,828
Alleybux
I'm at a loss career-wise after finishing my bachelors. I want to take a free course as an introduction to coding and see where things go from there. Has anyone been able to get a job in coding from being self-taught? Not as a software engineer, but maybe data analysis, quality assurance etc.

Danmimosa

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
1,621 71 46
Alleybux
would love to know too, I've enlisted on codeacademy's free course and it's going great but I'm wondering what level of knowledge is good enough to cover a "basic coding language" that might be required for certain jobs?

foreverbored

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
9,733 196 14
Alleybux
would love to know too, I've enlisted on codeacademy's free course and it's going great but I'm wondering what level of knowledge is good enough to cover a "basic coding language" that might be required for certain jobs?
me too! I know its a good skill to have regardless but I'm wondering if teaching myself online will be enough to qualify for any jobs

Reaction score
Reactions
7,661 264 175
Alleybux
Join GitHub, create a blog with your projects. Apparently hiring managers don’t like projects from online courses because it’s guided. The blog could also include articles that are data related. That shows you can write reports or use data to create visualisations.

Get involved in any data related project at work, even if it’s a process improvement. It could be changing the way you record KPI for example.

CodeAcademy/DataCamp or even an intensive bootcamp is a great way to start though.

R, Python, VBA (more for office related stuff vs data analysis though) are good languages.

I work in Analytics...

CarlosSmith

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
So first choose your aim after learning programming:

These streams need different languages but their fundamental are same. So they can used for any purposes.

For web developement: the type of languages are

1. The front end: which is used to design the structure of the web page, these are design mark up languages ,so they cannot be used for actual programming. Ex: HTML,CSS, java script.
  2. The back end : used for understanding the flow of user data, storage and work. JavaScript can used for this purpose. Other languages like php,python.
For app development: you need to be good at swift (for developing iOS apps), java(not JavaScript both are different).

For game development: unity is the best software, it helps you in modeling, and uses languages like c,c++and c#(pronounced-csharp). These languages are basically tough to learn but it strengthen your fundamentals on programming languages.

And for learning these languages, the following are best places:

CODECADEMY (Learn to Code - for Free | Codecademy): allows you to learn CSS, HTML , JavaScript and many other languages.

main-qimg-a03f677de40391c8756de8097389a6c4

Hakerrank: best place try out your skills, it pushes you to easily grasp you basics. And most of the questions are college projects. So help you way more.

TIPS FOR GOOD CODE:

1. SPEND MORE TIME ON CREATING LOGIC.
  2. USE TABLES AND DIGRAMS TO CREATE YOUR OWN LOGIC.
  3. UNDERSTAND THE FUNCTIONS OF YOUR CODE.
  4. HAVE PROPER INDENTATION OF YOUR CODE.
  5. STRENGTHEN YOUR BASICS OVER THE LANGUAGE.
  6. Last but not least DONT MUGG UP ANY CODE . TRY TO UNDERSTAND ITS LOGIC AND FUNCTION( Very important).