Quantcast

The 'acute' ageism problem hurting young workers

Maddie978

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
3,176 90 37
Alleybux
We think of ageism as an issue affecting older workers. But experts say it's hitting young workers harder than ever

Leia was fresh out of college when began working as a member of a business-development team at a mid-size tech company. Though her skills had earned her the job, she was the youngest person in the team. “Everybody else was pretty much twice my age,” she says. Leia went into the job with gusto, identifying inefficiencies and suggesting how to streamline things. Some of those working above her didn’t like that.
“I exhibited ‘too much ambition’ in the eyes of my superiors,” she says. “I heard about comments being made behind my back. There were a couple times when my superiors referred to my age right in front of me, saying I was too young: ‘What does a 23-year-old know about these things?’”
Leia, whose surname is being withheld for privacy concerns, tried to change things by altering her appearance at work. “It was like, what can I do to mitigate them not taking me seriously? I changed the way I dressed. I tried to dress older, more ‘ladylike’. I changed my mannerisms and tried to act older,” she says. “It worked, to an extent.” The comments about her age and perceived inexperience lessened, but Leia says she still felt like her growth potential was limited. She left the company soon after.

What Leia experienced was ageism, traditionally seen as something only older people face.

For instance, older workers might be judged based on assumptions that they won’t fit into a progressive office dynamic or learn technology as quickly. That phenomenon certainly exists; a US study showed that nearly two-thirds of workers aged 45 and older had seen or experienced age discrimination. But younger workers face age discrimination, too. In fact, new research shows it may actually be the youngest team members who are bearing the brunt of workplace ageism right now, potentially impacting on their careers.
Reverse ageism is real – and worse than ever

There’s no question age discrimination is a problem affecting older workers, says Michael North, an assistant professor of management and organisations at New York University’s Stern School of Business. “But doesn’t it cut both ways? The answer is a resounding yes,” he says.
According to data from a study to be published in August in the Journal of Experimental Psychology, co-authored with Stéphane P Francioli, North says it could be argued that ageism is “a slightly worse problem targeting the young”.

Older workers have always had negative-leaning opinions about the young
Traditional workplace hierarchy prizes seniority, with older staff on top and younger workers who start out on the bottom rung expected to climb the ladder over time. More recently, as technology has changed the way companies operate, older workers have been stereotyped (erroneously, recent research indicates) as less adaptable, slower learners – a major driver of the more commonly-recognised kind of ageism.
Older workers, meanwhile, have always had negative-leaning opinions about the young. North says it’s a “generational cycle” that goes back thousands of years; the ‘kids these days’ attitude has existed as long as there have been kids to criticise. In workplaces, this has traditionally translated into lower initial expectations of younger workers, who are expected to maintain a hard-working but humble profile as they learn the ropes from more experienced colleagues.

But the ageism today’s millennial and Gen Z workers are facing, North believes, is more acute – and derives from pervasive perceptions that they are entitled, lazy radicals. “In this case,” he says, “it’s not just a life-stage critique. This is something more extreme.”
In their study, Francioli and North asked respondents of all ages to rate their general feelings towards today’s younger adults and older people – and young adults came off poorly. “People seem to like even older adults, who people think are the primary targets of ageism, more than they like younger adults,” says North. Participants were also asked to compare today’s young people to previous cohorts. “Even when they reflect on young adults from the ‘40s, ‘60s, ‘80s, etcetera, people still harbour the coldest feelings toward today’s younger adults.”
When North and Francioli asked people what words sprang to mind about younger adults, some of the responses were more positive – words like “ambition”, “intelligence” and “tech-savvy”. But when it came to more negative terminology, says North, the number-one response was “entitled”, with “coddled”, “disrespectful” and “radical” also used repeatedly.

Organisational expert Lauren Stiller Rikleen says that when she published her first book, on hiring and promotion, she was asked to speak at a wide variety of companies. “I noticed that everywhere I was speaking, in the question-and-answer portion it was always hostile questions about younger people entering the workplace,” she says, with words like “disloyalty” and “entitlement” used repeatedly.

Rikleen believes that the working habits of millennials and Gen Z, and their inclination to prioritise a work-life balance, may cause older people in management to chafe. “People judge others by their own standard. So, that senior person may have succeeded through the traditional measures of success: long hours, missing family events, constantly being in the workplace. When they see behaviours that aren’t similar – leaving work to go work out or for family dinner, taking health and wellness measures – the result can be a stereotype of, ‘Well, that person isn’t acting like I did’.”
Self-perpetuating cycle?

When pre-conceived notions influencing broad dislike of millennial and Gen Z workers combine with traditional seniority structures, the result can be a workplace environment that holds young people back more than ever, negatively impacting on career trajectory, stunting progress and getting in the way of opportunities for mentorship and promotion.
“If people on senior levels are writing them off because of assumptions, the younger people won’t get the opportunities they need to succeed,” says Rikleen. “And that becomes a self-perpetuating cycle because they look around and think, ‘Nobody’s taking an interest in my career, I’m going to look elsewhere’. Then the senior person is like, ‘See? I knew it.’”
The working habits of millennials and Gen Z, and their inclination to prioritise a work-life balance, may cause older people in management to chafe

Rikleen believes that bringing attention to the problem of youth-related ageism will help organisations recognise it. “We have to start having more open conversations about this, as opposed to quiet rumbling,” she says. “We also have to recognise ageism in any direction as a bias. I’ve said this to people in older generations a lot: you’d never use the language you’re using if you were talking about race or gender. But because you’re talking about young people, there’s a sense that you can just say it and it’s OK. We have to acknowledge the ageist way in which people talk as a real bias, and one that needs to be treated that way in the workplace.”

That means companies need to incorporate it into training and policy on other biases, educating staff and leadership on the issue and arming employees with resources to address it.
The good news is that, in many industries, if workers can stick it out long enough, they may hit a kind of mid-career ‘sweet spot’ where their abilities and credentials aren’t being questioned. Though for some, cautions Rikleen, that moment might be coming later than it used to.

“I think even in workplaces where younger workers are criticised there’s often a traditional mentality of, ‘Oh, they’ll settle down when they have their first kid, or get a mortgage,’” she says. “For a lot of today’s young people, that’s happening later and later.”
Leia, who left the corporate world to found a marketing start-up, says eliminating ageism entirely will ultimately require a fundamental change to corporate culture, which has long tied seniority to skill.

“We prize years of experience a little too much, and I don’t think years of experience and skill are necessarily correlated,” she says. “Steve Jobs was 21 when he founded Apple. We don’t know how much younger people actually have to contribute. Hopefully, more employers are realising it.”

Has this happened to anyone, if so what happened? I would like to use this in an DEIA discussion and wanted a large array of feedback. Thanks!

CatThot

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
80,507 2,789 1,293
Alleybux
A lot of boomers are too broke to retire so they want to hold on to their jobs forever. They can't possibly have someone younger with more fresh and relevant skills coming in and disturbing sh!t

Moijejoue

Meghan Markle living rent free in your head
Reaction score
Reactions
49,188 3,429 1,693
Alleybux
A lot of boomers are too broke to retire so they want to hold on to their jobs forever. They can't possibly have someone younger with more fresh and relevant skills coming in and disturbing sh!t
Then they need to get with the times and start adopting new skills

arihontas

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
8,077 175 62
Alleybux
I'm not reading all of that but the first few paragraphs are giving tiny violin. That girl just needs to find the right company and it will be the exact opposite. Ageism is way worse for the old than for the young.

Maddie978

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
3,176 90 37
Alleybux
Have you experienced or seen anyone get fired due to lack of seniority? I’m trying to get an idea of what it may look like.

moriah02

General Manager
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
21,953 522 218
Alleybux
I look young. I even have other black people asking me how old I am. I look like I’m late 20’s, early 30’s. I’m 44. As I’ve gotten older I do look older but when I was younger and looked younger, I had to check some people. Just because I look young & you think I’m young that doesn’t mean that you can speak to me or treat me any kind of way, especially at work. Employers be real life out here taking advantage of young workers.

CatThot

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
80,507 2,789 1,293
Alleybux
I'm not reading all of that but the first few paragraphs are giving tiny violin. That girl just needs to find the right company and it will be the exact opposite. Ageism is way worse for the old than for the young.
Ageism is worse for older adults but ageism does exist for younger people. That's the whole point of the article

PepperAnn107

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
49,141 1,917 263
Alleybux
They also falsely believe young people don't need any money. "Oh we'll just offer them this..." - some pitiful amount that they wouldn't dare offer a more mature employee. I've seen that too many times to count. It's like c'mon, you know the job is worth more than that!

SpilltheT

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
66,040 1,980 1,975
Alleybux
I understand the plight of the young lady and can relate. Many older workers also don't like and resent being managed by someone younger than them. They don't like being subordinate to you. There are many reasons I theorize why older workers behave in this way but I won't get into it on this board. These type of situations can be tough on younger professionals.

Lily Bart

Gilded Age Pillow Princess
Reaction score
Reactions
12,692 367 127
Alleybux
The biggest problem is these cantankerous old farts don’t want to leave their jobs and are trying to hold onto their positions with wizened claws instead of retiring or giving up power like they should’ve a long time ago.

Older people for the most part don’t like to take suggestions, directions, or management from ANYONE younger than them and it creates a hostile work environment. They want to call us “coddled” and “too concerned” with having a work-life balance while they’re the same ones getting paid exorbitant amounts while doing hardly any work and constantly using their seemingly endless PTO to take time off whenever they please. But because we as younger employees don’t want to waste our years in positions with minimal benefits, no room for advancement (once again cause they won’t leave), and where we are the first to be let go we’re “disloyal” and “entitled.”

I’m just glad to be at a place in my career and financially stable enough that I can do what’s best for ME and have a mentality of me first, company last.

Have you experienced or seen anyone get fired due to lack of seniority? I’m trying to get an idea of what it may look like.
You’ve never heard of the concept of “last in, first out”?

LeB95

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
55,398 2,658 820
Alleybux
Many boomers are retired at this point or are slowly but surely doing so but it seems Gen X is determined to hang on to their youth forever. They see younger generations as competition and will want to be respected as the next "elder" generation but still be very immature. I've experienced this in the workplace with them.

DoneToDeath

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
182,140 4,844 3,046
Alleybux
The biggest problem is these cantankerous old farts don’t want to leave their jobs and are trying to hold onto their positions with wizened claws instead of retiring or giving up power like they should’ve a long time ago.
Nobody can leave their jobs anyway even if they want to. I’ll probably be working until I’m 95. I’ll die at my desk.

suesnell

♒️
Reaction score
Reactions
201,811 10,060 5,710
Alleybux
Many boomers are retired at this point or are slowly but surely doing so but it seems Gen X is determined to hang on to their youth forever. They see younger generations as competition and will want to be respected as the next "elder" generation but still be very immature. I've experienced this in the workplace with them.
Girl my 54 year old neighbor swore she was hot stuff. Dressed in a midriff top and ripped capris. Not only that, just the way she behaved was very immature.

SpilltheT

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
66,040 1,980 1,975
Alleybux
Nobody can leave their jobs anyway even if they want to. I’ll probably be working until I’m 95. I’ll die at my desk.
This shouldn't be the case if you are investing in your retirement and contributing accordingly. You should also be saving. I would hope most would be able to retire at least by 67 with proper financial planning and making advancements in your career.

NewAge

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
14,714 768 875
Alleybux
...pre-conceived notions influencing broad dislike of millennial and Gen Z workers...

LOL the BBC is so shady.

Is this the same generation that coined the term Boomer as an expression of contempt? Now whining about yet another -ism?

It's all very unfortunate.

They should leave millennials out of it. Some of them are in their 40s.

Noladebby

⚜️ Made in New Orleans ⚜️
Reaction score
Reactions
76,868 2,253 1,262
Alleybux
I never want to work with Generation Z. Ever. "Did you see that memo? It was such a vibe." "Do you watch keeping up with the Kardashians? Kris Jenner is such a mood." They talk like idiots. No thanks.

I have a friend who is 57 and she works side by side with a millennial. She likes her and never said a bad word about her. And all throughout my career I've worked closely with people who were younger and older than me and we all got along great. Age never came up. We laughed at the same jokes.

The girl in the article probably presented her ideas in a condescending or ineffective way. A lot of younger people do think they know it all. Change can be hard for people in general, so you have to have a careful approach to suggesting change. You also have to have good communication and persuasive skills. Instead of blaming it on ageism, work on your skills.

SpilltheT

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
66,040 1,980 1,975
Alleybux
I never want to work with Generation Z. Ever. "Did you see that memo? It was such a vibe." "Do you watch keeping up with the Kardashians? Kris Jenner is such a mood." They talk like idiots. No thanks.

I have a friend who is 57 and she works side by side with a millennial. She likes her and never said a bad word about her. And all throughout my career I've worked closely with people who were younger and older than me and we all got along great. Age never came up. We laughed at the same jokes.

The girl in the article probably presented her ideas in a condescending or ineffective way. A lot of younger people do think they know it all. Change can be hard for people in general, so you have to have a careful approach to suggesting change. You also have to have good communication and persuasive skills. Instead of blaming it on ageism, work on your skills.
I won't disagree that compassion and understanding is needed on both sides but both sides have to be willing. Neither side should think the other should bend to their will just because.

The "reaching across the aisle" should not be the sole responsibility of the younger person like your post seems to suggest. Ageism in reverse is a real problem outside of your anecdotal experience. So because your friend never said a bad thing about her millennial co-worker then you are doubtful and jumped to conclusions. I'm glad your experiences have been good with both young and old on the job and so had mine until they weren't. I am not alone in this and not a special snowflake even with trying to meet older workers where they are some make it difficult. It takes both to make it a pleasant and respectful work environment.

clearquartz

どうか神様彼を守ってください
Reaction score
Reactions
28,678 1,184 628
Alleybux
Omg yall are tripping. I've personally dealt with this and felt this so much but just like younger people aren't taken seriously are people in this thread not taking the examples seriously. It sucks working with older people who are so stuck in their ways that they sh!t on younger people with new ideas.

LoveSupreme

01/06/21 - Planet of the Apes Day -
Reaction score
Reactions
134,304 8,451 7,808
Alleybux
This is new and shocking to whom?

Older workers have always had negative-leaning opinions about the young”

That’s everyone! People start practicing age-discrimination in grade school. Anybody in a higher grade is viewed as “cool,” anyone below your age or grade is viewed as insignificant bullshat.

People who are 20, think they are better and more worldly than an 18 or 19-year-old; those 25 think they are better than those who are 20; 30 year-olds think they are better than 25 year-olds.

From the cradle to the grave; everyone discriminates against someone else!

Last edited:

Krafty

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
77,051 7,013 9,249
Alleybux
Omg yall are tripping. I've personally dealt with this and felt this so much but just like younger people aren't taken seriously are people in this thread not taking the examples seriously. It sucks working with older people who are so stuck in their ways that they sh!t on younger people with new ideas.
Thank you!!!

people are dismissing this article and it’s going to hurt them. I see the attitudes in my own mother and how she talks about the young employees.

im happy a discourse is being started about this subject.

my mom constantly says that young people are not as smart as they think they are because we rely on the computer too much!! Wtf??? She has almost nothing but bad things to say about the ‘yOuNg gEnErATiOn” smh

SpilltheT

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
66,040 1,980 1,975
Alleybux
This is new and shocking to whom?

Older workers have always had negative-leaning opinions about the young”

That’s everyone! People start practicing age-discrimination in grade school. Anybody in a higher grade is viewed as “cool,” anyone below your age or grade is viewed as insignificant bullshat.

People who are 20, think they are better and more worldly than an 18 or 19-year-old; those 25 think they are better than those who are 20; 30 year-olds think they are better than 25 year-olds.

From the cradle to the grave; everyone discriminates against someone else!
This is true! I always get a chuckle out of fonts that think they are so grown at 25 because there is so much more to learn but I don't bring that into work. Work is work and either you are qualified, proficient and capable or you are not. I do think you have to learn to adjust to the work cultural you are in and be professional and respectful and as you grow and learn with age you may become a better employee but you should not have to deal with pushback and overall bs simply due to your age.

SpilltheT

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
66,040 1,980 1,975
Alleybux
Thank you!!!

people are dismissing this article and it’s going to hurt them. I see the attitudes in my own mother and how she talks about the young employees.

im happy a discourse is being started about this subject.

my mom constantly says that young people are not as smart as they think they are because we rely on the computer too much!! Wtf??? She has almost nothing but bad things to say about the ‘yOuNg gEnErATiOn” smh
I hope she is preparing herself and learning to embrace technology and learn to use it to her benefit because computers or any technology is currently and the future of the workforce. In all areas of life we have to be open to growth and change. Fighting the evitable will only make it harder on the person and those forced to work with them.

A little OT but a little on: Company Men with Ben Affleck, Tommy Lee Jones and Kevin Costner is a good movie that somewhat touches on this topic. At least as it relates to the views of older workers and how they are sometimes treated late in their careers.

Maddie978

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
3,176 90 37
Alleybux

Older people for the most part don’t like to take suggestions, directions, or management from ANYONE younger than them and it creates a hostile work environment. They want to call us “coddled” and “too concerned” with having a work-life balance while they’re the same ones getting paid exorbitant amounts while doing hardly any work and constantly using their seemingly endless PTO to take time off whenever they please. But because we as younger employees don’t want to waste our years in positions with minimal benefits, no room for advancement (once again cause they won’t leave), and where we are the first to be let go we’re “disloyal” and “entitled.”

I’m just glad to be at a place in my career and financially stable enough that I can do what’s best for ME and have a mentality of me first, company last.

You’ve never heard of the concept of “last in, first out”?
Yes, but I wanted to know some examples. I have seen some of this before and think the issue should be looked at.
I had a friend tell me about the 70 yr old admin who doesn’t know excel or PDFs. They had layoffs and fired the younger women who was 35 who knew these things due to tenure.
So I think it happens both ways and either way is unfair.

NZURI

Delete Account
Reaction score
Reactions
257,693 8,171 8,001
Alleybux
Perceived inexperienced? You're brand spankin new so you are inexperienced, regardless of age. How bout you learn how to do the current job before trying to change it? But plenty of young adults have risen (including quickly), rising above their older peers, after they prove themselves.

Lily Bart

Gilded Age Pillow Princess
Reaction score
Reactions
12,692 367 127
Alleybux
Yes, but I wanted to know some examples. I have seen some of this before and think the issue should be looked at.
I had a friend tell me about the 70 yr old admin who doesn’t know excel or PDFs. They had layoffs and fired the younger women who was 35 who knew these things due to tenure.
So I think it happens both ways and either way is unfair.
So you’re just looking for anecdotes? It happened to me twice in my career, one time was when they kept this older white woman that they actually kept demoting/moving around because she was so incompetent. As I was given more responsibility she was supposed to take some of the lesser tasks form me and couldn’t even do those. Yet I was let go and as far as I know she still works there.

They definitely can if they wanted to. It’s completely different for us because it’s THEIR old asses that have sucked social security dry, screwed over the economy, and continue deciding the political direction of this country. So we can’t retire till we’re a foot out of the grave because of them.

krikzil

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
158,851 2,048 2,097
Alleybux
I’m older now but I’ve also been in management where I was much younger than my subordinates (male, too!) so I can see both sides. I’m also now in government where seniority matters and change is slow. I have zero issue with younger superiors or colleagues if they have the necessary skill set. However, I will say that I’ve seen quite a few young people come in (both to the corporation I worked for and now my agency) like gang busters from get then quit when things don’t go their way in the immediate.

Noladebby

⚜️ Made in New Orleans ⚜️
Reaction score
Reactions
76,868 2,253 1,262
Alleybux
I won't disagree that compassion and understanding is needed on both sides but both sides have to be willing. Neither side should think the other should bend to their will just because.

The "reaching across the aisle" should not be the sole responsibility of the younger person like your post seems to suggest. Ageism in reverse is a real problem outside of your anecdotal experience. So because your friend never said a bad thing about her millennial co-worker then you are doubtful and jumped to conclusions. I'm glad your experiences have been good with both young and old on the job and so had mine until they weren't. I am not alone in this and not a special snowflake even with trying to meet older workers where they are some make it difficult. It takes both to make it a pleasant and respectful work environment.
There is no such thing as "ageism in reverse" or " reverse ageism." Ageism is ageism regardless of a person's age.

Whose example was I supposed to use? My story is my story. My experience is my experience. And never did I say that MY experience was everyone's experience too. I also neither suggested nor implied that it was the younger person's duty to reach across the aisle. I said the woman in the article probably had an unpolished approach and the established employees were probably resistant to change.

If this is how y'all behave in the workplace then you will be met with challenges. Next time read what I actually wrote and stop making up stories in your mind to fit your victim hood mentality.

SpilltheT

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
66,040 1,980 1,975
Alleybux
There is no such thing as "ageism in reverse" or " reverse ageism." Ageism is ageism regardless of a person's age.

Whose example was I supposed to use? My story is my story. My experience is my experience. And never did I say that MY experience was everyone's experience too. I also neither suggested nor implied that it was the younger person's duty to reach across the aisle. I said the woman in the article probably had an unpolished approach and the established employees were probably resistant to change.

If this is how y'all behave in the workplace then you will be met with challenges. Next time read what I actually wrote and stop making up stories in your mind to fit your victim hood mentality.
I started off telling you I agree with some parts of your post and then asked questions and spoke about my and others experiences because you seemed to be downplaying it a bit in your post so I'm not sure where the hostility that seems to emitting off of your post is coming from. I called it ageism in reverse to set it apart from the standard thought of ageism which most associate with being discriminatory against those of older age or elders in the workplace. So while I know ageism is ageism, many do not equate it with being harmful towards younger people.

Victim hood mentality because I shared an experience? Yet, you just accused me of making up things about you based on your shared experience. Hi Pot!

Maddie978

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
3,176 90 37
Alleybux
So you’re just looking for anecdotes? It happened to me twice in my career, one time was when they kept this older white woman that they actually kept demoting/moving around because she was so incompetent. As I was given more responsibility she was supposed to take some of the lesser tasks form me and couldn’t even do those. Yet I was let go and as far as I know she still works there.

They definitely can if they wanted to. It’s completely different for us because it’s THEIR old asses that have sucked social security dry, screwed over the economy, and continue deciding the political direction of this country. So we can’t retire till we’re a foot out of the grave because of them.
Yes, thank you.

MissClavel

SomethinIsNotRight
Reaction score
Reactions
125,400 6,774 4,080
Alleybux
Every place you work (hell even in my industry — aviation) there’s always some old ass b!tch that refuses to let go. If you need the money I get it but allow younger people a chance to thrive. b!tch you about to die soon go away

Nillionaire

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
8,772 1,071 122
Alleybux
Every place you work (hell even in my industry — aviation) there’s always some old ass b!tch that refuses to let go. If you need the money I get it but allow younger people a chance to thrive. b!tch you about to die soon go away

Old enough to know nobody owes me anything. If people don't like you they don't want to waste any time with or around you especially on the job.

Pagliacci

The Clown
Reaction score
Reactions
92,589 3,303 1,814
Alleybux
there's a lot of people in their early to mid 20s at my job and they're hard to deal with, don't take the job serious, and are more of a liability. sorry but...

XR77910

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
51,296 1,686 1,150
Alleybux

We had a very young engineer come to work for our company and he would suggest all these "new and innovative" ideas that weren't new at all. They had been tried before and failed. Many worked great in theory, but things had to work in reality with all the variables associated with successful implementation. He never bothered to learn policy, procedure , or company history, and would complain about people being old and unwilling to change. Change was never the problem, the real problem was his unwillingness to learn about how the company operates and about our rules and regulations. While he thought he was this great innovative thinker, others just saw him as a clown.