Not open for further replies.

Gillie

Ballin', enough said
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
268 3
Alleybux
just to let everyone know, i'm nondenominational, but used to be baptist. but for the baptist people i just wanna ask you a few questions. In the bible it says that communion should be held on the first day of every week. (when i find the scripture, i will post it) If the bible says to have communion on the first of every week then why do baptists have it on every 3rd sunday? And about baptism. I've seen children as young as three get baptized. Why would there be a need to baptize a child when the child is already pure? Doesn't the parent carry the child's sin until they are old enough to know right from wrong? I was just wonderin.

Angela Davis

General Manager
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
41,217 520 66
Alleybux
Not all Baptist churches have Communion on the 3rd Sunday. Every Baptist church I've been to has it and baptism on first Sunday. And to your Baptism question, a person is baptized when they are old enough to acknowldege and accept Jesus as their Savior, and they are able to understand the true meaning of Baptism. I was baptized when I six years old, but I've seen people well into their fifites be baptized...it all depends on where each individual person is in their faith.

Also, Communion is held on first day simply because of Baptist tradition. The Bible doesn't give a specific day to have observe Communion, nor does it say how often you have to take it.

Kerney Thomas

<span style="color: Blue;"><span style="color: Blu
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
7,419 2 5
Alleybux
My church, I am baptist by the way, we have communion on the first sunday and my reverend doesnt baptise young young children.

MelanieHamilton

No. 1
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
14,068 5 2
Alleybux
just to let everyone know, i'm nondenominational, but used to be baptist. but for the baptist people i just wanna ask you a few questions. In the bible it says that communion should be held on the first day of every week. (when i find the scripture, i will post it) If the bible says to have communion on the first of every week then why do baptists have it on every 3rd sunday? And about baptism. I've seen children as young as three get baptized. Why would there be a need to baptize a child when the child is already pure? Doesn't the parent carry the child's sin until they are old enough to know right from wrong? I was just wonderin.

I've never read where it says how often to do communion, the term communion isn't used in the bible.

I Corinthians 11 reads,

23For I received from the Lord what I also passed on to you: The Lord Jesus, on the night he was betrayed, took bread, 24and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, "This is my body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of me." 25In the same way, after supper he took the cup, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood; do this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me." 26For whenever you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until he comes.

As far as baptism, there is no specific age as to when to do it. Though, I won't allow my children to get baptized until they fully understand what they are doing. Baptism doesn't purify you. Baptism is symbolic of being dying spiritually and being born again in Christ. It is one of the things Christ asked us to do along with communion. Only Christ's blood can purify

Gillie

Ballin', enough said
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
268 3
Alleybux

I've never read where it says how often to do communion, the term communion isn't used in the bible.

I Corinthians 11 reads,

23For I received from the Lord what I also passed on to you: The Lord Jesus, on the night he was betrayed, took bread, 24and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, "This is my body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of me." 25In the same way, after supper he took the cup, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood; do this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me." 26For whenever you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until he comes.

As far as baptism, there is no specific age as to when to do it. Though, I won't allow my children to get baptized until they fully understand what they are doing. Baptism doesn't purify you. Baptism is symbolic of being dying spiritually and being born again in Christ. It is one of the things Christ asked us to do along with communion. Only Christ's blood can purify

not purify, but your sins are washed away by the blood of Christ is what i meant. i agree with you on the baptism thing. children shouldn't be baptized until they fully understand the meaning of it.

MelanieHamilton

No. 1
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
14,068 5 2
Alleybux
not purify, but your sins are washed away by the blood of Christ is what i meant. i agree with you on the baptism thing. children shouldn't be baptized until they fully understand the meaning of it.

Some parents don't understand the true purpose of it. I have even heard some parents "brag" about how young their children were when they first got baptized. Some children do it just because so and so got baptized. My sons want to get baptized, but my husband and I won't let them until they fully understand and can give us an adequate answer on why they want to do it. I was nine when I got baptized and I did it for the wrong reasons. I did it because I thought my parents wanted me too. My husband was 24/25 when he got baptized, but he did it for the right reasons. He did it as Jesus instructs us to. I promised that I would not let my children do it for show, because they think it will be fun, or for any other purpose other than what it is intended for.

Indigo

Child of God!
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
1,937 1 4
Alleybux

Sexy thang did a great job answering those questions. I have one for you though. Before you left the Baptist church did you try to get any of those answers from the pastor at your church? That would have made a really good conversation.

Not all Baptist churches Baptize small children. Ours don't I think they have to be at least six or seven. Some children are easily influenced and may walk up to the alter because they see everyone else doing or think that's what Grandma wants me to do.

Baptist isn't the only denomination to have children Baptized at a young age.

Gillie

Ballin', enough said
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
268 3
Alleybux
Sexy thang did a great job answering those questions. I have one for you though. Before you left the Baptist church did you try to get any of those answers from the pastor at your church? That would have made a really good conversation.

Not all Baptist churches Baptize small children. Ours don't I think they have to be at least six or seven. Some children are easily influenced and may walk up to the alter because they see everyone else doing or think that's what Grandma wants me to do.

Baptist isn't the only denomination to have children Baptized at a young age.

The reason i left the baptist church is because he's not really a good pastor. Many people don't care for him because of the things he says and does. but yeah that would have been a good conversation, if he was a good pastor. I mainly pointed out that baptist churches baptize children at a young age because i'm not familiar with what other denomination churches do. I didn't wanna say that they baptize children at a young age because then i wouldn't know what i was talkin about because i'm not familiar with other denomination churches.

Indigo

Child of God!
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
1,937 1 4
Alleybux
The reason i left the baptist church is because he's not really a good pastor. Many people don't care for him because of the things he says and does. but yeah that would have been a good conversation, if he was a good pastor. I mainly pointed out that baptist churches baptize children at a young age because i'm not familiar with what other denomination churches do. I didn't wanna say that they baptize children at a young age because then i wouldn't know what i was talkin about because i'm not familiar with other denomination churches.

Thanks and I safely assumed that you weren't familiar with other denominations. I gave the information anyway because some people, like you, don't know. Since we were on the topic of children being Baptized I believed that it would be appropriate to mention that Baptists aren't the only denomination that does it (as a little f.y.i. note that's all). I was simply making the point that children Baptismals are not completely alien and limited to the Baptist denomination. Oh and I am sorry about your experience. God Bless You! ;)

THE Mrs. Fisher

General Manager
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
376 1 6
Alleybux
The first church I ever attended was a Baptist church. They didn't baptize children, though. You had to be knowledgeable of sin and realize the seriousness of what you were doing. I don't remember any specific ages, but I think the youngest child I remember seeing baptized there was maybe around the age of 10 or so.

HeChangedMe

Starter
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
Most of the "baptisms" of babies are actually dedication services or Christenings.

All denominations have their traditions, not only baptists.

Status
Not open for further replies.