Quantcast

The "Christian Hip Hop Debate": Who's Right?

MadameCassie

Michael 4 ever
Reaction score
Reactions
363,604 59,667 887
Alleybux
The "Christian Hip Hop Debate": Who's Right?
Ex Ministries Founder G. Craige Lewis & Reach Records Founder Lecrae Moore
Battle it out on Twitter

by Dianna Hobbs (@diannahobbs), EEW Magazine Founder

HIP-HOP-DEBATE.jpg

Twitter can be a double-edged sword. On the one hand, it is a great tool to spread the word about good things. On the other hand, it can amplify the quiet rumblings of controversy.

Over the weekend I learned about a Twitter dispute between G. Craig Lewis, Ex Ministries founder and creator of “The Truth Behind Hip Hop,” and Reach Records founder, Lecrae Moore. The two went head-to-head about Hip Hop culture and whether it has any real place in the body of Christ. While neither of them tweeted obscenities at the other nor threatened bodily harm, no good really came of the public back-and-forth. Nothing was resolved through the exchange.

The tweets, which have since been deleted from Lecrae’s account, were surrounding a difference of perspective. Lewis, who teaches that Hip Hop is a demonic subculture which cannot be yielded to the Spirit of God, believes that Christians should not embrace it under any circumstances. Furthermore,
according to Lewis, the terminology “Holy Hip Hop” or “Christian Hip Hop” should never be used.

He took to Twitter to let Lecrae and everyone else know just how he felt about this issue. “Because you publicly defended hip hop, we must publicly defend Christ against it,” tweeted Lewis to Lecrae. “You have yet to denounce the founders of hip hop.”

Lecrae replied by saying, “Hip hop has no founders unless you include Jazz & poets from the 40's - 60's. It has prominent figures as does any culture. The prominent historic figures were very likely Satanic but they don't account for what God intends and calls good. 1 Tim 4:4”

The scripture Lecrae referenced reads, “For everything God created is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving.”

So who has the right answer?

There are Believers who fall on both sides of the debate. Some agree that the root of Hip Hop is demonic. Others argue that what you call it does not matter and that it is simply a question of semantics. They say as long as Jesus is being preached, there is no problem with how the art form is
categorized.

Lewis argues vehemently against the latter.

“Being a Holy HipHopper is just like saying I am a Holy Pimp or a Gospel Gangsta or a Thug for Christ!” says Lewis on ExMinistries.com.

For him, Hip Hop, even when it is used in Christian circles, is not merely titular. It is much more than a name or title. It is not simply a matter of semantics for Lewis, even if those who are preaching Jesus don’t ascribe any deeper meaning to it.

On his official website Lewis also says, “We support Christian rappers that preach the unedited word of God in their music, but we will never embrace the sub-culture of Hip Hop or any other culture of man. We will only support the set apart, sanctified lifestyle of the Kingdom of God through Jesus Christ.”

So, what do I say about this debate?

Who is right and who is wrong?

Actually, I don’t think the issue is that black and white.

After praying and reading the word, here’s my answer.

If you feel like saying “Christian Hip Hop” is wrong, don’t say it. And even if you feel like it’s alright, according to 1 Corinthians 10:23-31, if your liberty causes someone else to stumble, you should modify your behavior for their sake. Although the passage of scripture was speaking of eating meat
once offered to idols, I think it applies here as well.

Now, I'll admit, in the past I have fallen on the “it’s a matter of semantics” side of the argument. But seeing that there is a large group within the body of Christ that takes issue with this, I will do the biblical thing. I will “take one for the team” and modify my language as not to be a hindrance to anyone else.

1 Corinthians 10:32 NIV, “Do not cause anyone to stumble, whether Jews, Greeks or the church of God— even as I try to please everyone in every way. For I am not seeking my own good but the good of many, so that they may be saved.”

In seeking the good of many, I suppose it won’t hurt at all to say Christian rap instead of “Christian Hip Hop.”

What are your thoughts on this issue? Share them by emailing feedback@eewmagazine.com.

simplythebest

Loved by Him
Reaction score
Reactions
38,393 56 10
Alleybux
“Being a Holy HipHopper is just like saying I am a Holy Pimp or a Gospel Gangsta or a Thug for Christ!” says Lewis on ExMinistries.com.

For him, Hip Hop, even when it is used in Christian circles, is not merely titular. It is much more than a name or title. It is not simply a matter of semantics for Lewis, even if those who are preachingop Jesus don’t ascribe any deeper meaning to it.

On his official website Lewis also says, “We support Christian rappers that preach the unedited word of God in their music, but we will never embrace the sub-culture of Hip Hop or any other culture of man. We will only

I personally don't have a problem with Christian rap or hip hop as long as it doesn't compromise the Word of God. I don't see why rap is okay but not hip hop. For me I will need to do some research to get an understanding of where Mr. Lewis is coming from.

Hollywood26

A Male Speaking The Truth
Reaction score
Reactions
26,017 548 612
Alleybux
I think it's a silly argument myself. God loves us to praise him. I don't remember a specific way he says is the only way to do so. If "hip hop" is Satanic, is poetry also Satanic? remember, hip hop or rap is basically spoken word to instrumentation.

PippSqueaks

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
4,798 4 1
Alleybux
I see nothing wrong with it. If the music is being used to praise God then whats the problem?

westsideozzie

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
15,764 86 133
Alleybux
Hip Hop has no place in sacred music.. Period.. All of it is not evil, but none of it is sacred.

Reaction score
Reactions
164 1
Alleybux
All those pastor rappers are fake. None of them really worship God.

EgoTrippin

Nikki Rosa
Reaction score
Reactions
31,296 20 8
Alleybux
Actually, Hip-Hop is a culture all unto itself. That's what I think he's talking about. But...That culture also recognizes God is the source of it. One of the places you could search would be the Temple of Hip-Hop. It's got a full explanation of it's origins.
Temple - Temple Of Hip Hop
I personally don't have a problem with Christian rap or hip hop as long as it doesn't compromise the Word of God. I don't see why rap is okay but not hip hop. For me I will need to do some research to get an understanding of where Mr. Lewis is coming from.

TobiasBlkChick

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
242,408 5,177 6,092
Alleybux
No genre of music is inherently bad. All styles of music are from God. . . too bad people take those styles and add demonic lyrics.

God wants the praise, period.

Doesn't matter if you're rapping his praises over a hip hop beat, screaming his praises over heavy metal riffs, wailing his praises over a blues composition, etc. You are still giving praise and being creative while doing so. You don't have to be humming and moaning over a gospel background to be giving praise to God.

Anyone who claims that God told them otherwise is lying. :struggle:

Kitty Katt

Killer Bey Nicki
Reaction score
Reactions
102,043 5,810 16,052
Alleybux
No genre of music is inherently bad. All styles of music are from God. . . too bad people take those styles and add demonic lyrics.

Doesn't matter if you're rapping his praises over a hip hop beat, screaming his praises over heavy metal riffs, wailing his praises over a blues composition, etc. You are still giving praise and being creative while doing so. You don't have to be humming and moaning over a gospel background to be giving praise to God.

:angel:

Inquiring Mind

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
16,038 1 2
Alleybux

Considering Gospel music itself is an amalgamation of secular forms of music, I would have to agree with you.

I used to be on the other side of the fence of this issue, though.

God doesn't care about the vehicle, just the heart of the driver.

TobiasBlkChick

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
242,408 5,177 6,092
Alleybux
Considering Gospel music itself is an amalgamation of secular forms of music, I would have to agree with you.

I used to be on the other side of the fence of this issue, though.

God doesn't care about the vehicle, just the heart of the driver.

All of this.

I meant to bring up how Negro Spirituals . . .the granddaddy of gospel. . .was once considered "demonic".

And I agree with you, God does not care, as long as you are praising him to high heaven, he's satisfied. He created diversity in everything on the face of the earth, including music. The fact that there are so many ways to praise him through music speaks of his own wisdom and creativity. I'm am sure he is pleased that people are using all kinds of music to praise him and he's worthy of ALL of it. . .he is worthy to have his praises song in any and every genre of music.

Speaking of which, I didn't know there was heavy metal Christian music until a few years ago. I'm not a fan of heavy metal, but the absolute praise in some of these pieces is astounding:

Blues No More by Barnabas

Well I've got somethin'--- mean to tell you I've got somethin'
I wanna lay on you right now
I mean to tell you that I've got somethin' I mean to tell you
I've got somethin'
I wanna lay on you right now
There's a lotta people saying' they've got the blues
An' how they're tired of payin' all of them dues
Hey baby--- got somethin' I wanna lay on you lay on you right now

Well you can take it how you want to
It's up to you to open up that door
But Jesus Christ gave His life so that you could live
Ahh don't you know it was you He died on that cross for
Well, I've given my life to Jesus
And I want to tell you that I ain' t got those blues no more
Well you can try an' try an' try
To find just a little bit of happiness to keep you goin'
But I just gotta tell you somethin' that you ain't gonna find nothin'
You ain't gonna find nothin' in this world
Worth lookin' for
But you can give your life to Jesus
He' ll take away all the pain and all the emptiness inside
And you won't have to have those blues no more

He Loves You by Barnabas:

Well, take a look around; tell me, what do you see?
The world's fallin' apart like one, two, three
Or maybe you think everything's all right
You ain't got no need to "see the light"
Well, no matter who you are
A bum in the gutter, or a rock n' roll star
He loves you

Now you might wonder if we're talking to you
Because God wouldn't want you with the things you do
But that's not the way that Jesus is
He loves us all, and what a love He gives
Hey, no matter what you've done
Or what you do, you can be His son
He loves you

Well, you don't have to change your ways
Just give your life to Him and you'll be amazed
If we could be good we wouldn't need Him
That's why He died; to pay for our sin
Just ask the Lord to be your friend
He'll give you peace and forgive your sin
He loves you

Yet, you will have people tell you that God is rejecting this because is sung over a mean heavy metal guitar riff. :rolleyes: