Quantcast

The Deborah Cox “Nobody’s Supposed To Be Here” Bridge Challenge

Dettol

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
27,797 797 269
Alleybux
One of my fav songs of all time. I remember like it was yesterday back in 98/99 when BET ran the video into the ground, 24/7 non-stop video play. I never got tired of it, and never will.

The incredible story behind this song on how it almost went to Faith Evans (as an album cut), Kelly Price, Patti LaBelle (who is was written for, but Patti just didn't hear herself singing this song) and possibly Yolanda Adams is legendary. It wasn't meant to be for Deb, even though it was given to her after she heard it by accident lol.

Montell and Shep did that. And kudos to Montell/Shep standing their ground when Clive Davis tried to take out the soulful/church background vocals and make it more "pop-ish".

Any of these girls/guys singing this better bring it. This is one of these songs where you either go big, or you take ya ass home. There is no in-between or grey area.

Last edited:

funsizeleo

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
42,762 1,818 47
Alleybux
Woo this is one of my Karaoke go to songs.. After several cups of liquid courage in my mind I sound just like Deborah. In reality I probably sound like some squealing car brakes.

I use to think I did a pretty good reindition in the shower until my husband busted into the bathroom because he thought I was being attacked.

HeByHooray

Team Owner
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
33,038 80 47
Alleybux
Shep Crawford is very underrated he wrote a lot of bangers for Tamia that people slept on.

Deborah was serving nothing but throat in this song.

I did hear Patti say she didn't like the song when she heard it and she felt sick when it became such a huge hit for Deborah.

People always try to say Deborah and Whitney sound alike (I don't hear it at all) I always thought her and Yolanda Adams sound very similar.

Dettol

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
27,797 797 269
Alleybux
I stan Deb/this song, so I watched all of 'em in the OP lol.

Best Cover
Part 3, Slide 3 (black cap, hoop earrings) is the best of the bunch. No question. Hers was the closest in terms of power, tone, clarity, the right key, and catching the right notes as closely as possible to the original recording sung by Deb.
Great, big note at the end too. Also her mannerisms/body language in the first few seconds of her video (chin up, arms swaying, body moving around, etc.) - you can tell she was gonna go hard and bring it all the way home.

Runner-Up
Part 2, Slide 2 (hair up, looking left, hoop earrings). This girl has an amazing voice too. She sorta rushed the big "Noooo" note at the end a bit. Nonetheless, great vocals, power and tone.

Last edited:

sunsetbeach

Justice for Cheverly!
Reaction score
Reactions
91,554 1,387 422
Alleybux
I love this song, a great vocal performance!

Everybody tried lol. It's not an easy song at all. I'll save you guys the time. Top picks for my ears Part 1 - 3rd swipe, Part 3 - 2nd and 3rd swipe. Perfect.

Part 3 - 4th, 6th swipes they were good at saving themselves when it was about to go off lol. 6th swipe doesn't have the best vocal technique.

I'm about to disturb my neighbours *clears throat* lol.

umami919

Potted Booty Meat
Reaction score
Reactions
13,661 492 30
Alleybux
One of my fav songs of all time. I remember like it was yesterday back in 98/99 when BET ran the video into the ground, 24/7 non-stop video play. I never got tired of it, and never will.

The incredible story behind this song on how it almost went to Faith Evans (as an album cut), Kelly Price, Patti LaBelle (who is was written for, but Patti just didn't hear herself singing this song) and possibly Yolanda Adams is legendary. It wasn't meant to be for Deb, even though it was given to her after she heard it by accident lol.

Montell and Shep did that. And kudos to Montell/Shep standing their ground when Clive Davis tried to take out the soulful/church background vocals and make it more "pop-ish".

Any of these girls/guys singing this better bring it. This is one of these songs where you either go big, or you take ya ass home. There is no in-between or grey area.
Not for nothing, but I’d love to hear covers of this song from all of these women.

GalaxyQueens

"Woman is an Adult Human Female!" Cheverly's Ghost
Reaction score
Reactions
24,792 236 33
Alleybux
I love this song! All these people have amazing voices; I wish I could sing! :Cry

Gurlyella

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
4,771 201 202
Alleybux
Deborah Cox is a singer's singer, and this song shows it. You can tell who has a nice tone and can really sing from a mediocre singer.

Cocokisses88

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
49,405 1,720 1,718
Alleybux
I used to try this in my singing days, and I couldn't get up that high. Trying to sound like Deborah would have me hoarse.

BillieOcean

Stepped-Up Cookies
Reaction score
Reactions
40,804 1,363 520
Alleybux
Shep Crawford is very underrated he wrote a lot of bangers for Tamia that people slept on.

Deborah was serving nothing but throat in this song.

I did hear Patti say she didn't like the song when she heard it and she felt sick when it became such a huge hit for Deborah.

People always try to say Deborah and Whitney sound alike (I don't hear it at all) I always thought her and Yolanda Adams sound very similar.

I didn't know that. Patti also turned down "I feel good all over," and then it went to Stephanie.

BuddhaBaby

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
970 37 2
Alleybux
Part 3 3rd slide, Melanie Amaro. She was the first winner of the X Factor US and never took off. Simon is such a failure with the true talent yet Camilla was almost a household name.

First girl in Part 2 is my second fave, then the first one in Part 3.

VirgnWhoCntDrve

Part-Time Lurker
Reaction score
Reactions
11,638 132 10
Alleybux
3rd part 3rd slide. She sang that song!! I was sad when I didn’t get to hear her sing the “i tried it, over & over” breakdown. I know she Killed it.

Kelly Price

High as hell & long winded
Reaction score
Reactions
89,746 3,075 1,568
Alleybux

Haha. I would go outside and play and come back in later the video would be back on like it never went off.

2020yes

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
13,472 3 1
Alleybux
Swipe for the rules

Part 1: 6 Slides Swipe Through

Part 2: 7 Slides Swipe Through

Part 3: 7 Slides Swipe Through

Chilllsssss! I think the girl who was at home with the bun in the second set of clips won.