Quantcast

UPDATE The Devil in Gainsville, serial killer who was the inspiration for Scream

melaninmuse

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
112,030 7,345 271
Alleybux
Anyone else watching the 2020 episode that just came out, "the devil in Gainsville?"

Full episode:

Last edited:

melaninmuse

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
112,030 7,345 271
Alleybux

How a Tipster's Hunch Helped Police Catch a Serial Killer Who Preyed on College Students​

ABC News' 20/20, airing Friday, takes a look back at the 1990 murders of five students that terrorized Gainesville, Fla.

In August 1990, the college students who poured into Gainesville, Fla., were eager to begin a new school year.
The discovery of two students found stabbed to death in an off-campus apartment turned that excitement overnight to anxiety. The mood grew more panicked a day later, with the discovery of a third body at another apartment. Then, the next day, two more bodies turned up, and everything about life in the college town was upended as a months-long manhunt scrambled to find a prime suspect.
All but one of those murdered were enrolled at the University of Florida; the fifth was a student at Gainesville's Santa Fe College, then known as Santa Fe Junior College.

But those victims were not the first killed by the man who later would confess to his crimes. Nine months earlier, a triple homicide in Shreveport, La. — of a father, his daughter and grandson — had left local investigators similarly stumped.
"After the gruesome murders, everybody just became scared," longtime Shreveport resident Cindy Juracich tells ABC News' 20/20, which revisits the Gainesville murders in a broadcast airing Friday at 9 p.m. ET/8 p.m. CT. "You know, we live in the Bible Belt. Things like that don't happen here." (An exclusive clip from the episode is below.)

A hunch led Juracich, then known as Cindy Dobbin, to tip investigators that the killings in separate states may be connected.
She says she learned of the Gainesville murders from a TV news report while on a Florida vacation with her husband, Steven, and their children. The grisly manner of the deaths suggested a pattern: The victims all had been stabbed, in some cases mutilated — one woman's decapitated head was placed on a shelf — and several appeared to be suggestively posed.

"I said, "Steven, there's a connection between Shreveport and Florida,'" Juracich says.

She remembered a man she knew in Shreveport, Danny Rolling. He was the son of a police officer and an aspiring musician, but with a troubled background, having spent time in prison following convictions for armed robbery.
"I met him in church," Juracich tells 20/20. "My husband right off the bat said, 'That dude's weird.' And I went, 'No, Danny's Danny.'"
But after frequent visits to Juracich's home, Rolling revealed to the woman's husband that he had a "problem," leading the husband to say that Rolling was no longer welcome.
"I said, 'What kind of problem?,'" Juracich said, reports ABC News, "[and Steven said], 'He likes to stick knives into people.'"

SouthernNotCountry

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
223,554 5,511 931
Alleybux
I watched it, all I watch is 20/20 specials and true crime stories, smh. The most glaring thing to me was AS USUAL, cops were lazy asf and ignored evidence. They had that damn cassette tape in evidence where the killer said his name on it and didn't listen to it until THREE MONTHS LATER. 3 or 4 people could have been saved if they had listened to it sooner, freakin bums.

Summer Sweetie

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
315,170 45,108 6,437
Alleybux
ABC’s ’20/20: Gainesville Serial Killer’ is an episode that chronicles the tale of Daniel “Danny” Rolling, a serial killer responsible for eight murders, including a triple homicide in Shreveport, Louisiana, and the slaying of five students over four days in the college town of Gainesville, Florida. Having earned the moniker of “The Gainesville Ripper” after the latter occurred in August 1990, there are speculations that Danny reached his breaking point due to the years of abuse he suffered as a child in his parents’ home. So now that it’s been a while, let’s find out more about Danny’s family, shall we?

Who Were Danny Rolling’s Parents?​

Daniel “Danny” Harold Rolling was born in Shreveport, Louisiana, on May 26, 1954, to Claudia and James Rolling, a local police lieutenant. The two married when Claudia was 19-years-old, only to find out that they were pregnant with their first child two weeks later. This fact angered James, who did not want kids, leading him to harm his wife and later Danny, along with his younger son Kevin. As per ‘The Gainesville Ripper‘ by Mary S. Ryzuk, Claudia knew that their relationship was unhealthy and left her husband several times over the years, but she always returned.

family.jpeg
Image Credit: Accident Info., Medium

According to Claudia’s accounts, her elder son endured physical abuse at least once or twice a week at his father’s hands. But the verbal depravity was almost daily, with James telling Danny that he was unwanted or an embarrassment. Not only were the Rolling children not allowed to have birthdays or holidays, but they never even got an affectionate word or action from their father. In fact, when the family got a dog whom Danny became quite attached to, James allegedly beat the creature so often that he died in his son’s arms, driving Danny to hurt animals as well.

What Happened to Danny Rolling’s Parents?​

When Danny was facing the charges against him in 1994, the court heard his mother, Claudia Rolling, detail the abuse that had changed him. In the videotaped statement, recorded in May 1992, she even said that she first saw Danny lose control after his wife of two years filed for divorce in 1977. After that, he turned to crime — raping a woman who looked like his wife and spending eight years in prison for robberies. But Claudia said that she first noticed Danny’s mind shift in 1988, revealing, “His face got real hard, almost no emotion there at all…just kind of a deadpan expression. If I didn’t know him so well, I probably wouldn’t have known it was him.”

james-grave.jpg
Image Credit: Howard A Sutherland, Find A Grave

Claudia even testified that she sought to get Danny psychological care several times over the years but couldn’t because her husband thought nothing was wrong with him. And that’s when she mentioned the family argument in May 1990 that resulted in Danny shooting his father in the stomach and the face. James had survived, but he permanently lost the use of an eye and an ear. At the time of these statements, Claudia and James were separated. From what we can tell, it seems like Claudia passed away in 1995 after losing her battle with liver cancer, whereas James, a Navy veteran, passed away at the age of 81 in December 2012.

melaninmuse

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
112,030 7,345 271
Alleybux
ABC’s ’20/20: Gainesville Serial Killer’ is an episode that chronicles the tale of Daniel “Danny” Rolling, a serial killer responsible for eight murders, including a triple homicide in Shreveport, Louisiana, and the slaying of five students over four days in the college town of Gainesville, Florida. Having earned the moniker of “The Gainesville Ripper” after the latter occurred in August 1990, there are speculations that Danny reached his breaking point due to the years of abuse he suffered as a child in his parents’ home. So now that it’s been a while, let’s find out more about Danny’s family, shall we?

Who Were Danny Rolling’s Parents?​

Daniel “Danny” Harold Rolling was born in Shreveport, Louisiana, on May 26, 1954, to Claudia and James Rolling, a local police lieutenant. The two married when Claudia was 19-years-old, only to find out that they were pregnant with their first child two weeks later. This fact angered James, who did not want kids, leading him to harm his wife and later Danny, along with his younger son Kevin. As per ‘The Gainesville Ripper‘ by Mary S. Ryzuk, Claudia knew that their relationship was unhealthy and left her husband several times over the years, but she always returned.

age Credit: Accident Info., Medium

According to Claudia’s accounts, her elder son endured physical abuse at least once or twice a week at his father’s hands. But the verbal depravity was almost daily, with James telling Danny that he was unwanted or an embarrassment. Not only were the Rolling children not allowed to have birthdays or holidays, but they never even got an affectionate word or action from their father. In fact, when the family got a dog whom Danny became quite attached to, James allegedly beat the creature so often that he died in his son’s arms, driving Danny to hurt animals as well.

What Happened to Danny Rolling’s Parents?​

When Danny was facing the charges against him in 1994, the court heard his mother, Claudia Rolling, detail the abuse that had changed him. In the videotaped statement, recorded in May 1992, she even said that she first saw Danny lose control after his wife of two years filed for divorce in 1977. After that, he turned to crime — raping a woman who looked like his wife and spending eight years in prison for robberies. But Claudia said that she first noticed Danny’s mind shift in 1988, revealing, “His face got real hard, almost no emotion there at all…just kind of a deadpan expression. If I didn’t know him so well, I probably wouldn’t have known it was him.”

Claudia even testified that she sought to get Danny psychological care several times over the years but couldn’t because her husband thought nothing was wrong with him. And that’s when she mentioned the family argument in May 1990 that resulted in Danny shooting his father in the stomach and the face. James had survived, but he permanently lost the use of an eye and an ear. At the time of these statements, Claudia and James were separated. From what we can tell, it seems like Claudia passed away in 1995 after losing her battle with liver cancer, whereas James, a Navy veteran, passed away at the age of 81 in December 2012.

even though prison sentences are unduly harsh for drug users and so on, I'm glad there was a shift from the 70s-80s where many violent men and rapists were given parole like nothing....

Lester Eubanks is another who comes to mind....

Anyway, it's unsurprising his dad was a corrupt Louisiana cop who let his son get away with sociopathic behavior.
The police down there are another story.
I remember that series Murder on the Bayou, where they pretty much implied the cops were involved or covered up the murders...

melaninmuse

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
112,030 7,345 271
Alleybux
I watched it, all I watch is 20/20 specials and true crime stories, smh. The most glaring thing to me was AS USUAL, cops were lazy asf and ignored evidence. They had that damn cassette tape in evidence where the killer said his name on it and didn't listen to it until THREE MONTHS LATER. 3 or 4 people could have been saved if they had listened to it sooner, freakin bums.

it's ridiculous that it took a random woman to crack the case. smh. just inept af.

it reminds me of the NYPD and the prosecutor in the central park 5 case. if they did their actual jobs, the rapist wouldn't have gone on to kill and rape a pregnant woman weeks later.

SouthernNotCountry

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
223,554 5,511 931
Alleybux
it's ridiculous that it took a random woman to crack the case. smh. just inept af.

it reminds me of the NYPD and the prosecutor in the central park 5 case. if they did their actual jobs, the rapist wouldn't have gone on to kill and rape a pregnant woman weeks later.

EXACTLY. I hate cops, but I'm not gonna lie, I've always wanted to be a detective because all of the current ones are stupid, lazy and racist asf and a lot of people lose their lives (innocent and in jail or DEAD because the cops didn't investigate) because of it. I'd look like a genius next to the current crop. It's really not that hard to care a little bit and do your damn job. I watched a different 20/20 special last yr and this lady was killed by a cop and again, they didn't find out for DECADES because they didn't look at the ish they collected at the damn scene. Like wtf, smh.

mee9mee9

a crinkle on earth
Reaction score
Reactions
109,947 6,123 2,206
Alleybux
they ignored it because he was the son of a cop. that is why im very leery when it comes to children of law enforcement employees. cop kids get into trouble ALOT. idk why though.

melaninmuse

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
112,030 7,345 271
Alleybux
Sonja's mother really breaks my heart. the part when she was saying she wanted to die to be with her daughter...tragic

melaninmuse

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
112,030 7,345 271
Alleybux
they ignored it because he was the son of a cop. that is why im very leery when it comes to children of law enforcement employees. cop kids get into trouble ALOT. idk why though.

entitlement and knowing they can get away with it.

I knew this frat guy in college whose stepfather was a cop and he had that police union card they use to get out of speeding tickets. I think he was able to get out of a DUI, he also was a prolific coke user.

plus, 40 percent of police officers *admit* to being abusive to their wives/families. That likely compounds whatever issues their kids have.

PrettyBoyFlizzy

I'm a GIRL, Damon!
Reaction score
Reactions
141,307 3,733 440
Alleybux
I remember when these murders were happening. Didn't know it was the inspiration of Scream. I'll watch the episode. Even though it was in FL and I'm nowhere near, it was still very scary across the nation. Those poor women! Sometimes I don't turn on my alarm at night because I get lazy but thanks for reminding me that people are effing crazy and I need to turn this thing on every night no matter what.

hellnaw

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
4,596 376 85
Alleybux
I live in Gville. My family was terrified around that time. My cousin told me between Danny Rolling and Eileen Wornous who killed a man in Ocala, people where on high alert in 1990. Truly scary times.

new2this

General Manager
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
19,072 933 127
Alleybux
Sometimes I feel they don’t look that hard at the evidence because they’re scared that the offender is one of them.

LoveSupreme

01/06/21 - Planet of the Apes Day -
Reaction score
Reactions
134,304 8,451 7,808
Alleybux
Horrible.

Turned the real life tragedy of families and victims into a money-making entertainment vehicle.

On the other hand, there is that fo t that stated its better living amongst de white folken.

So, there is that to look forward to, I guess..._

chaelili

Et Dieu Créa la femme noire
Reaction score
Reactions
94,056 4,184 346
Alleybux
I knew a bit about this case and I knew it was the inspiration behind Scream but never saw a documentary about it so thanks OP for the YouTube link. I cannot watch on ABC from where I live. Literally all I’ve been watching these past days is true crime documentaries. I should visit this part of LSA more often.

ILoveCheetos

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
5,781 176 76
Alleybux
I’m originally from Gainesville and was 4 at the time. I never knew about this except for seeing the victim’s names on the wall until I was an adult. Truly frightening case

enchanted

Fall is Beautiful
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
345,871 13,202 10,054
Alleybux

Probably the only good thing he ever did in his life.

I'm sure his father murdered, hurt and maimed many black people during his time as a cop. He looked the type.

Women back in those days stuck with men who treated them terribly for financial reasons. Sad.

She also died before the evil bastid did too.

It always works like that.

TheSophisticate

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
151,822 1,065 462
Alleybux
I live in Gville. My family was terrified around that time. My cousin told me between Danny Rolling and Eileen Wornous who killed a man in Ocala, people where on high alert in 1990. Truly scary times.

I’m originally from Gainesville and was 4 at the time. I never knew about this except for seeing the victim’s names on the wall until I was an adult. Truly frightening case

I'm from the 'Ville too...who y'all be lol jk jk.

I was a little kid when Danny struck but I vividly remember the terror he had the city in. When the details of Christa's murder came out about her head being placed on the shelf...my aunt who lived alone at the time moved in with my mom, dad and me for about a month after that.

It was shocking, senseless and very very scary.

chaelili

Et Dieu Créa la femme noire
Reaction score
Reactions
94,056 4,184 346
Alleybux
I’m watching the docu now and how very unsurprising that the murderer’s father was an abusive cop. A monster created a monster and innocent people died as a result.

greatnana

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
122,077 2,279 302
Alleybux
Never heard of this case. But it was absolutely horrifying what he did to his victims. There were probably more people he raped and killed.

melaninmuse

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
112,030 7,345 271
Alleybux
Never heard of this case. But it was absolutely horrifying what he did to his victims. There were probably more people he raped and killed.

he had no remorse and wasn't even mentally ill. just a deranged sociopath,

during his sentencing he sang a random ass "love" song for a groupie instead of making a statement to the families of the victims.

Last edited:

Fiestyfunsize

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
37,779 411 137
Alleybux
the police were so damn unqualified, is it any wonder why some crimes are unsolved. the Prosecutors do well, he was evil and had no remorse at all. It’s one thing to kill but on top of that to mutilate and the horrible ways to die. Terrible and eGil.

Nikkinonka

Sweet Like Willy Wonka
Reaction score
Reactions
80,504 2,951 383
Alleybux
I knew the cops weren’t sh!t in this case when the sheriff didn’t want to come down to the first crime scene cause he was watching a football game

kandieheart007

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
29,296 481 46
Alleybux
These were some keystone cops. Had a cassette tape in evidence with dude literally singing like a canary and spilling all his tea and never listened to it. The most gruesome fact that I can't get over is that Rollings went back to that one apartment because he forgot something and decapitated that poor girl as an afterthought. And when this fool asked the judge to speak, like he had some important sh!t to say, then turned around and croaked out that tune to the crazy groupie lady? That judge was super pissed. LOL

Botrytis

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
4,526 391 237
Alleybux
The killer wrote a book about these murders called “The Making of a Serial Killer”... I just started reading it and I’m not sure if I can get through it.

MayaKeats

Let Motown wrap your soul
Reaction score
Reactions
323,629 7,787 2,191
Alleybux
Sonja's mother really breaks my heart. the part when she was saying she wanted to die to be with her daughter...tragic
Her daughter in law was murdered too. She went to a Publix to pick up lunch and a dude grabbed her right in the sunny parking lot.