Quantcast

The Difference Between Whitney and Mariah

blumarine

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
44,619 1,063 344
Alleybux
Very interesting ideas. It’s respectful to both, and argues that their gospel influence shaped the way they approached live performances and making music.

Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
3,245 149 87
Alleybux
Yes just watched and loved it!
Was debating to make a thread but thought I would have to include cliffs.

Some are saying it was bias towards Whitney but ofc that’s only the lambs saying that..

blumarine

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
44,619 1,063 344
Alleybux

Some are saying it was bias towards Whitney but ofc that’s only the lambs saying that..

I didn’t think so because it talked about Whitney’s bland albums.

She’s my favorite vocalist of all time, but I can’t argue with anyone saying Mariah made better albums.

Kaldur

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
10,561 308 107
Alleybux
I love both and would never put them against each other. Mariah does have the better songs IMO but Whitney had the voice I would want if I could actually sing.

Reaction score
Reactions
3,518 99 106
Alleybux

I see or hear of no one saying it's biased towards Whitney. It's clearly not and is favorable and truthful to both artists.

OT: Just finished watching it! Probably the most accurate video I've seen explaining their differences. They really are two sides of the same coin. I stan both women, so I usually go back and forth between the two as my favorite voices.

Crssak12

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
41,007 5,239 6,500
Alleybux
I always said Mariah has the better songs. And it’s the fact that Mariah has written most of her songs that makes her my favorite. I love Whitney too though, she’s definitely paid her dues and deserved the title of “the voice”.

Shameful 666

Slits Wrists
Reaction score
Reactions
53,384 3,743 4,525
Alleybux
My dad once told me he doesn’t like Mariah’s music and I was shocked. He doesn’t like Whitney’s either. He says they are both gifted, though.

chocoLate290

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
87,971 4,207 1,986
Alleybux
Both Whitney and Mariah are extremely talented, they are two different worlds to me, I can’t compare them to be honest, I love them both

imjustbait

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
133,495 7,268 1,454
Alleybux
I love both and would never put them against each other. Mariah does have the better songs IMO but Whitney had the voice I would want if I could actually sing.
I think Whitney still has strong songs though but I do agree Mariah has a better catalogue also a longer one too. but Whitney was def superior and shined the most live.

Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
3,245 149 87
Alleybux
I see or hear of no one saying it's biased towards Whitney. It's clearly not and is favorable and truthful to both artists.

OT: Just finished watching it! Probably the most accurate video I've seen explaining their differences. They really are two sides of the same coin. I stan both women, so I usually go back and forth between the two as my favorite voices.
Literally could just go the comment section...

Reaction score
Reactions
3,518 99 106
Alleybux
Literally could just go the comment section...
And I did. Unless you scroll all the way to the bottom, you'll find a couple of delusional stans saying nonsensical things, and some who are just downright trolling, but that's if you intentionally go looking for it.

Last edited:
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
3,245 149 87
Alleybux
And I did. Unless you scroll all the way to the bottom, you'll find a couple of delusional stans saying nonsensical things, and some who are just downright trolling, but that's if you intentionally go looking for it.
Well, yes because when I made that comment the video had been up for an hour or two and had minimal comments compared to now and at that time a few were from lambs which is why I said what I said. But I get it.

MarriedatEight10

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
48,646 2,297 293
Alleybux
My dad once told me he doesn’t like Mariah’s music and I was shocked. He doesn’t like Whitney’s either. He says they are both gifted, though.

My Father was the same way. Ironically, my mother and step mother also don’t like their music, but think their voices are incredible.

MarriedatEight10

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
48,646 2,297 293
Alleybux
I can appreciate where the Youtuber was coming from, but when it comes to the live performer aspect, I do not get why people want to compare 1985-1999 Whitney to 2021 Mariah. Mariah during the Merry Christmas and Daydream era did actually re-conceptualize her music, and when her voice started to mature and her upper belts started to become more raspier, she changed again. Still, I do believe Whitney had the better stage presence of the two.

Jemstone

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
8,509 311 126
Alleybux
Also Whitney never sang her songs the same way twice (live performances I mean) and she was a dynamic performer. Both her and Mariah were incredibly gifted.

KandiMomma

Team Owner
Time Out
Reaction score
Reactions
9,642 1,628 4,156
Alleybux
I can appreciate where the Youtuber was coming from, but when it comes to the live performer aspect, I do not get why people want to compare 1985-1999 Whitney to 2021 Mariah. Mariah during the Merry Christmas and Daydream era did actually re-conceptualize her music, and when her voice started to mature and her upper belts started to become more raspier, she changed again. Still, I do believe Whitney had the better stage presence of the two.

I reckon the Youtuber did not want smoke from the Whitney stans. Some of them are very sensitive about the fact that Mariah has superior range and technique. As you know this great range and technique allowed Mariah to replicate her high studio belts outside the studio for 3 decades, as opposed to Whitney only doing this for 3 albums. To compare 1985-1991 Whitney to 2021 Mariah is to level the playing field bc Whitney had shortcomings that are necessary for some to overlook for some reason. Why? idk....Nobody can take away from Whitney that she was very clever in a live setting. Regardless, I found the video quite fair.

Last edited:

THE STANDARD

GTFO!
Reaction score
Reactions
263,491 7,022 6,890
Alleybux
Mariah’s music is better. It’s more timeless.
That’s your preference, which is ok. Music is subjective. Whitney’s music is more timeless to me. All these years later, her music still inspires people. She also has all the MAJOR Grammy wins, inducted into in the R&B and rock&roll hall Of fames, National library of congress, etc. Both catalogs are respected. Mariah’s music became a bit childish later on, but a lot her fans still love it. Vocally Mariah’s also had very shaky live performances from the beginning of her career.
Whitney started years before Mariah and clearly had an influence on Mariah. For 30+ years, Whitney’s still considered the best vocalist of her generation and the best vocalist of her era. This fact triggers some people. They’re both respected vocalists but Whitney was 1 of 1.

It’s ironic the nastiest lamb came in here talking about “Whitney stans”. I hope no one else turns this thread into another idiotic beef thread.

Last edited:

KandiMomma

Team Owner
Time Out
Reaction score
Reactions
9,642 1,628 4,156
Alleybux
That’s your preference, which is ok. Music is subjective. Whitney’s music is more timeless to me. All these years later, her music still inspires people. Both catalogs are respected. Mariah’s music became a bit childish later on, but a lot her fans still love it. Vocally Mariah’s also had very shaky live performances from the beginning of her career.
Whitney started years before Mariah and clearly had an influence on Mariah. For 30+ years, Whitney’s still considered the best vocalist of her generation and the best vocalist of her era. This fact triggers some people. They’re both respected vocalists but Whitney was 1 of 1.

It’s ironic the nastiest lamb came in here talking about “Whitney stans”.

When I was in elementary school i learned that the definition of "more" is simply a greater or additional amount of something.

The font you quoted did not say Whitneys catalog is not timeless.Why do you feel they slighted Whitney sugar?

Please help me understand the correlation of someone speaking 1 sentence on preferring Mariahs studio recordings, to your spiel speaking negatively on Mariahs "shaky" live performances, and bringing up Whitney came out 1st?

I don't think anyone in the world semi in tune with pop culture, or who has simply heard some of their songs doesn't know that Whitneys rise to stardom & music catalog obviously dates Mariah's. We know Whitney is a legend too sugar. If you need a reminder of that fact I'll like to share this link with you

Last edited:

Messiah St West

Come judge for me
Reaction score
Reactions
64,038 1,886 1,103
Alleybux
I never really thought about the analogy he used when he said in church the choir director gives the lead singer the song and they have to improvise.

That’s a great way to describe Whitney’s approach to her live performances. And it makes sense.

Does anyone know where that choir clip came from?

Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
3,245 149 87
Alleybux
I never really thought about the analogy he used when he said in church the choir director gives the lead singer the song and they have to improvise.
That’s a great way to describe Whitney’s approach to her live performances. And it makes sense.

Does anyone know where that choir clip came from?
Of Whitney?

Here

anonimuswan

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
40,904 1,617 1,440
Alleybux
That’s your preference, which is ok. Music is subjective. Whitney’s music is more timeless to me. All these years later, her music still inspires people. She also has all the MAJOR Grammy wins, inducted into in the R&B and rock&roll hall Of fames, National library of congress, etc. Both catalogs are respected. Mariah’s music became a bit childish later on, but a lot her fans still love it. Vocally Mariah’s also had very shaky live performances from the beginning of her career.

It’s ironic the nastiest lamb came in here talking about “Whitney stans”. I hope no one else turns this thread into another idiotic beef thread.
I think you can sum the two up this way: Mariah is talented. Whitney is anointed. Both are undisputed legends and two of the greatest vocalists of all time.

Messiah St West

Come judge for me
Reaction score
Reactions
64,038 1,886 1,103
Alleybux
Of Whitney?

Here

No lol. I’ve seen the clip of Whitney singing “Just a little talk with Jesus” 1000 times. I was talking about the clip with the choir singing in the blue robes. The song sounds familiar but I can’t quite place it. At 4:15 in the video.

KandiMomma

Team Owner
Time Out
Reaction score
Reactions
9,642 1,628 4,156
Alleybux
I can appreciate where the Youtuber was coming from, but when it comes to the live performer aspect, I do not get why people want to compare 1985-1999 Whitney to 2021 Mariah.

As you scroll through the thread , you'll see that EVERYONE respectfully saying they prefer Mariahs amazing discography to Whitneys s has certain people coming in here like a wrecking ball....

If the Youtubers true opinion was that Mariah didn't spend her peak re conceptionalizing her material , bc she didn't need to since hers was not extremely simple corny & bland, and she was not afraid & petrified of replicating high 5th octave notes outside of the studio, the Youtuber wasn't going to say that lol

The internet knows how ridiculous those goons can be.

Whitneys legacy deserves better. She was a very secure woman

Last edited:

THE STANDARD

GTFO!
Reaction score
Reactions
263,491 7,022 6,890
Alleybux
I think you can sum the two up this way: Mariah is talented. Whitney is anointed. Both are undisputed legends and two of the greatest vocalists of all time.
And for the most part, people love both artists. Whitney had the big wins, major acknowledgements, respected by peers. It took Mariah some years to build up her confidence on stage and it showed. Nodule issues, stage freight, not singing live enough caused some of those shaky live performances. Both their catalog remains unmatched and people like who they like. It’s just music. Whitney’s still the best selling Black female artist in history.
When Whitney debuted out, she was compared to Aretha Franklin. When Mariah debuted she was compared to Whitney. Very few artists have reached their levels. Can’t take that away from them. Now rather than spending time with their mother on this fine Sunday, some eunuchs, wannabe females will derail and trash Whitney for their fave but it’s so low class and childish. This is what some lambs do whenever Whitney’s name is mentioned. Mariah doesn’t need trolls defending her. Her catalog speaks for itself.

KandiMomma

Team Owner
Time Out
Reaction score
Reactions
9,642 1,628 4,156
Alleybux
Mariah’s music is better. It’s more timeless.

I agree with you hun. And if someone singles you out for some reason when we all said the same thing and quotes you with a spiel like a psycotic bully , somebody's mama or gestapo speech police off your 1 sentence, I hope it doesn't discourage you from spreading love about Mariah or anyone else

Last edited:

THE STANDARD

GTFO!
Reaction score
Reactions
263,491 7,022 6,890
Alleybux
I just saw Mariah Carey respdonding to a tweet saying she misses Whitney! That’s adorable. For those who love Mariah Carey and feel her catalog is superior.. GOOD. Some people feel Whitney’s music was superior. Again, it’s just MUSIC.There’s NO need to bash Whitney or Mariah. No need to disrespect either. Unfortunate that one hateful eunuch lamb consistently spreads hate on this forum... can’t respond to anything without taking nasty, childish potshots at Whitney.

Don’t be like IT!

Hope you all enjoy your mother’s day with your MOTHERS OR kids, if you have a life at all... and leave the stupid beef in the 1990’s!

anonimuswan

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
40,904 1,617 1,440
Alleybux
And for the most part, people love both artists. Whitney had the big wins, major acknowledgements, respected by peers. It took Mariah some years to build up her confidence on stage and it showed. Nodule issues, stage freight, not singing live enough caused some of those shaky live performances. Both their catalog remains unmatched and people like who they like. It’s just music. Whitney’s still the best selling Black female artist in history.
When Whitney debuted out, she was compared to Aretha Franklin. When Mariah debuted she was compared to Whitney. Very few artists have reached their levels. Can’t take that away from them. Now rather than spending time with their mother on this fine Sunday, some eunuchs, wannabe females will derail and trash Whitney for their fave but it’s so low class and childish. This is what some lambs do whenever Whitney’s name is mentioned. Mariah doesn’t need trolls defending her. Her catalog speaks for itself.
ALL.OF.THIS!

Shameful 666

Slits Wrists
Reaction score
Reactions
53,384 3,743 4,525
Alleybux
I agree with you hun. And if someone singles you out for some reason when we all said the same thing and quotes you with a spiel like a psycotic bully , somebody's mama or gestapo speech police off your 1 sentence, I hope it doesn't discourage you from spreading love about Mariah or anyone else
Yes, I think both are great and I still listen to both. I just said that I think Mariah’s music is more timeless because I listen to it a little bit more. For instance, Whitney’s song “The Greatest Love of All” is one of my absolute favorites, but I don’t listen to it as often as Mariah’s “Vision of Love,” “Emotions,” or “Breakdown” because it is way too sad/makes me feel sad.

blumarine

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
44,619 1,063 344
Alleybux
Mariah having better music than Whitney is such a current myth. Literally nobody said this in real time.

A lot of people criticized Whitney’s music independent of any Mariah comparisons. Whitney got booed by Black audiences because of the bland pop Clive was making her put out before she started working with Babyface and others.

I think of Mariah’s music as similar because of Tommy, but she broke away and put out some classic albums.

Legendary

this my muhf--king natural...
Reaction score
Reactions
376,451 1,063 209
Alleybux
A lot of people criticized Whitney’s music independent of any Mariah comparisons. Whitney got booed by Black audiences because of the bland pop Clive was making her put out before she started working with Babyface and others.

I think of Mariah’s music as similar because of Tommy, but she broke away and put out some classic albums.
Mariah has had critics as well, such as life. People also get booed it happens lol. 1980s r&b is historically slicker than any other era for a reason. Whitney came up in that era. BTW, Babyface has said numerous times they were working together BEFORE Soul Train. As for the ST incident there is a mix of reasons why it happened but people run with the laziest reason.

However, what a few no-names did in the audience That Night doesn't represent the Black community as a whole you do know that right?! Whitney refusing to do what was expected of a Black female artist back then is no more a knock on her than the business & society back then. Things have changed and she has rightfully been credited for her contributions. Whitney widely inspired & inspires so many careers including Mariah's.

Last edited:

KandiMomma

Team Owner
Time Out
Reaction score
Reactions
9,642 1,628 4,156
Alleybux
Yes, I think both are great and I still listen to both. I just said that I think Mariah’s music is more timeless because I listen to it a little bit more. For instance, Whitney’s song “The Greatest Love of All” is one of my absolute favorites, but I don’t listen to it as often as Mariah’s “Vision of Love,” “Emotions,” or “Breakdown” because it is way too sad/makes me feel sad.

Those are my fav jams too. Ok taste twin! Lol. Thanks for sharing. Yeah I understand what you mean. Whether r&b, hip hop , dance, soul, gospel, jazz, balladry uptempo, Christmas, new Jack swing, house, funk, trap, soft rock, happy, sad, introspective, reflective, 90s, 2000s, 2010s u got a mariah classic for every occasion .

I was shocked to learn that despite sharing the same lead single (When You Believe) and same release date for their albums in 98 , Mariah's compilation album (#1's) which only had like 3 new songs, was the one that debuted in the top 5 and sold better than Whitney's traditional studio album with like 13 new tracks. They've been 2 different artists in 2 different lanes for quite some time, I think your sentiments explain why this is so , come to think of it.

Both are to be commended. Off the top of my head I cant think of anyone who did the Stephanie Mills inspired gospel lite vocals over sentimental ballads for 5 or 6 albums and went multiplatinum that many times. Incredible. Whitneys discography is nice too. Her thing was something different , and few do that better than her.

Last edited:

blumarine

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
44,619 1,063 344
Alleybux
Mariah has had critics as well, such as life. People also get booed it happens lol. 1980s r&b is historically slicker than any other era for a reason. Whitney came up in that era. BTW, Babyface has said numerous times they were working together BEFORE Soul Train. As for the ST incident there is a mix of reasons why it happened but people run with the laziest reason.

However, what a few no-names did in the audience That Night doesn't represent the Black community as a whole you do know that right?! Whitney refusing to do what was expected of a Black female artist back then is no more a knock on her than the business & society back then. Things have changed and she has rightfully been credited for her contributions. Whitney widely inspired & inspires so many careers including Mariah's.

All that’s fine... Whitney’s music was criticized at the time was my only point. She even mentioned it in the video. Of course she is the most influential singer of her generation. I placed blame where I think it belongs, on Clive (and Tommy, in Mariah’s case).

THE STANDARD

GTFO!
Reaction score
Reactions
263,491 7,022 6,890
Alleybux

Exactly. @blumarine every artist gets criticized at some point. No one is immune. Whitney in her own right, broke barriers. None of those “criticisms” stopped Whitney from being the best selling Black female artist in history. Being the blueprint for the likes of Mariah Carey.
She’s still one of the few Black women to win both Album and Record of the year Grammys. Awards Mariah’s never won. Mariah Carey’s music imo was better in her earlier years but I’m I going to trash her later/ recent music?..no need.
She also got some backlash for some of her music/payola/ plagiarisms but the point is, BOTH artists are universally LOVED.
It’s rather ironic that some of the same things Whitney was criticized for( being successful in pop/ singing pop) many artists would DIE for. What she achieved as an artist, made her a peerless Superstar.. inspiring everyone including Mariah Carey.
The comments below are from people who work in the record industry. Not some random from YouTube..
Sylvia Rhone- CEO of Epic Records.
“Whitney Houston was a peerless phenomenon whose career went beyond simply "crossing over," but erased divisions between R&B and pop, black and white, young and old. She had a global appeal that was previously unprecedented for African-American women in pop culture, and She opened the door for everyone from Mariah Carey and Mary J. Blige to Toni Braxton and Jennifer Hudson. Whitney's impact on the music business extends far beyond her phenomenal sales and iconic status

Tommy Mattolla
Tommy Mottola“Without a doubt, her (Whitney’s) voice, for me, and for the world was the gold standard. She had it all, she broke all barriers," said Tommy Mottola, former chairman and CEO of Sony Music Ent

Mariah Carey-
Mariah Carey- "Whitney has been a big influence on me."

Last edited:

Legendary

this my muhf--king natural...
Reaction score
Reactions
376,451 1,063 209
Alleybux
Mariah having better music than Whitney is such a current myth. Literally nobody said this in real time.
Right. Same experience for me. Having said that I still liked some MC songs back then but she never moved me like Whitney and that's what it is. However, unlike some MC fans I'm not gonna sit here and act like nobody LOVED MC....I just didnt know many people that did. Either you liked both or they leaned toward Whitney.
They both got 30 plus years in the game tho so I dont get the hostility among some fans lol!!!!! Whitney provided the blueprint thus making it easier for MC to come in & be successful BUT Mariah put her time in too. She's had a great career in her own right! So they are beyond comparisons to any artists at this point, let alone each other.

We also know that no one can deny that after ST in 1989 and Mariah's comeuppance Whitney STILL had the biggest era for a female artist AND was the last of these two women to go Platinum for current material...so Whitney did more than alright lol. We wont get into the awards and the numbers she moved with only a handful of albums. Whitney is still very much part of the culture and even Whitney herself couldn't stop that. People are still putting WH on the charts beyond Xmas so obviously she continues to find younger audiences despite being the 'older' artist. I'd rather be preferred like THAT than getting 'lip service' online lol.

B×tches just need to DEAL and heal lol!

Last edited: