Quantcast

The Galapagos Islands' Darwin's Arch collapses 186 years after the pioneering scientist's visit to the islands inspired the theory of evolution

SunKissWanderer

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
141,505 40,726 695
Alleybux
1621380170199.png

A famous rock formation off the Galapagos Islands named after Charles Darwin has collapsed.

The Ecuadorian Ministry of Environment announced the collapse of Darwin's Arch in a Facebook post on Monday, saying it was caused by 'natural erosion'.

Images showed the arch missing its central part, with only the two stone supporting columns remaining.

The Galapagos Conservation Trust described the arch as 'an icon' of the islands in a Twitter post following the news of its collapse.

1621380202184.png

The arch lies less than a kilometre from Darwin, the northernmost island of the Galapagos archipelago.

It is made of natural stone and, at one point, may have been part of the island of Darwin, the environment ministry said.

The formation is named after the famous English biologist Charles Darwin, whose study of finches on the islands in the 19th century helped him describe the theory of evolution.

The uninhabited Darwin island and its surrounding area are not open for land visits, however the site is considered one of the best locations on the planet to go diving and observe schools of sharks and other species, according to the ministry.

Sharks that can be seen there include scalloped hammerheads, whale sharks, Galapagos sharks and black jack sharks.

Other species found in the area include manta rays, dolphins and green turtles.

The Galapagos Islands, some 600 miles (1,000 kilometers) off the coast of Ecuador, contain unique flora and fauna not seen anywhere else on earth and are part of a biosphere reserve.

The archipelago, a World Heritage site, is made up of 234 islands, inlets and rocks. Four of them are home to some 30,000 people.

JackGanalf

Identify me. Pic found in NC. Asha Degree case.
Reaction score
Reactions
45,234 3,821 20
Alleybux
Since I was a kid I've always wanted to visit but due to the increase of tourism they had to make protecting the animals a priority so there's a lot less human contact. There's a documentary about a murder on the island and I remember really enjoying it if anyone is curious.

SkekSIS

By a Black woman's hands, or else by none.
Reaction score
Reactions
9,737 182 452
Alleybux
Since I was a kid I've always wanted to visit but due to the increase of tourism they had to make protecting the animals a priority so there's a lot less human contact. There's a documentary about a murder on the island and I remember really enjoying it if anyone is curious.
Do you know the name of the film?

MsJazzN

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
7,138 220 7
Alleybux
I sometimes like to "travel" through Google maps when I'm bored and found that I enjoyed looking at the Galapagos Islands.

The landscape is fascinating.