Quantcast

The indestructible Phuti Mahanyele

Voets3k

Would rather be rejected than disrespected
Reaction score
Reactions
141,544 5,316 2,962
Alleybux
Last year, Mahanyele-Dabengwa became the first Black African to run Naspers, the century-old South African media company, in its home market. Her appointment was highly symbolic. Naspers, with a market cap of $80 billion, is now best known for its global tech investments—mainly, the very smart bet it made on Tencent back in 2001—but the company spent decades supporting South Africa’s apartheid regime through its newspapers. (The company formally apologized for its role in 2015.) Mahanyele-Dabengwa is charged with growing Naspers’s $4 billion business in South Africa; beyond the day-to-day, she is focused on making smart and impactful tech investments locally, through the company’s new $100 million Foundry fund. Mahanyele-Dabengwa arrived with plenty of investing experience having previously founded her own firm, Sigma Capital. Before that, she led the Shanduka Group, an investment holding company founded by current South Africa President Cyril Ramaphosa.

Phuthi Mahanyele-Dabengwa | 2020 Most Powerful Women International

Born on 15th March 1971 in Dobsonville, Phuti Mahanyele has risen to become one of the best and not easy to ignore entrepreneurs in South Africa. She currently serves as the business executive, and chief executive officer of Sigma Capital.

She matriculated from Mc Auley House Convent between 1980 to 1988. She went on to study her Bachelor of Arts Economics from Rutgers University from the period between 1989 and 1993. She also pursued a Masters in Business Administration, MBA. at De Montfort University from 1993 to 1996.

0fgjhs6338jh9otfn.jpg

Phuti is not your average woman. She is an accomplished business lady that has worked herself to success and stardom. In fact, she is well respected in the business circles and corridors that she treads. She is one of those you may consider well accomplished and on top of her game. She has everything under her control.

Phuti's biography
With such a brilliant resume, it is interesting to know just who she is. The following is a brief of everything you need to know about the boss lady.

Early life and education
Phuti owes a lot of her success to her parents. She was taught early in life to look beyond her problems and challenges and forge ahead. Her father, a pioneer of education in South Africa influenced her passion and love for books. The fact that her mother died when she was only 17 years also contributed to making her take her time seriously. When she experienced a stroke in 2013, after a series of headaches and fainting, the idea of having no time got cemented in her mind and it changed her life for good. Her father and greatest influence later died in 2012.

c3dbe13f8f8de836.jpg

• In January 2016 to Present, she is serving as the Executive Chairperson of Sigma Capital.
    • Concurrently, she is the Chairperson of Gigajoule Africa (Pty) Limited, whose leadership she assumed in 2006 to present.
    • Also worth noting is the fact that from August of 2004 to December of 2015, she served as the Shanduka Group's CEO.
    • In February 2003 to July 2004, her role was to manage the Development Bank of Southern Africa (DBSA). She was the manager for the above mentioned period.
    • From 1997 to 2003, Phuti was Fieldstone Private Capital Group, Inc. Vice President.
    • Further back, from 1996 to 1997, she was the Account Manager at The Agency.
    • She has also served as the manager of Irvin and Johnson between 1995 and 1996.
    • She started off her career as a Management Trainee at National Sorghum Breweries in 1993 to 1995 which was to kick-start her career and achievements in future.
These are some of the things that she has membership in. They also make a crucial part of her career and success journey in this field.

• She is a Non-Executive Director of Mondi Shanduka Newsprint.
    • She also serves as a Non-Executive Director at Netgroup Solutions.
    • Phuti is a Director at Realeka Marketing
    • She also holds a Directorship position at DPJ Marketing
    • She was also acquired by The Phembani Group in 2015.
    • The executive also serves as a Director of Shanduka Share Scheme
    • Adding to the list of her Director's roles is that of Pangolin Business Women Enterprises
    • She serves as Director at Wethu Communications.
    • She is also the Phuti Mahanyele, Independent Non-Executive Director at Gold Fields.
With all these accolades and responsibilities, it goes to show that she is a woman that can handle a lot more than she lets off.

• She won the ForbesWoman Africa Business Woman of the Year Award, 2014
    • She has also been awarded the “Distinguished Achievement” award by the Douglass Society, 2013
    • Also in her bag is the Leading Africa Woman in Business. Africa Investors, which she scooped in 2012.
    • In 2011, she was honoured with the Rutgers Vision of Excellence Award. Rutgers University, 2011.
    • She goes down in history books also as one of the Most Influential Woman in Government and Business – Financial Services after winning the award and recognition in 2009.
    • Mahanyele Phuti was also included in the Wall Street Journal’s list of the “Top 50 women in the world to watch in 2008”, a mean achievement to say the least.
    • Lastly, she won the World Economic Forum, Global Young Leader, in 2007

images (62).jpeg

images (63).jpeg

images (64).jpeg

I've always admired and looked up to this lady. She's the true representation of boss b!tch!

Last edited:

Voets3k

Reaction score
Reactions
141,544 5,316 2,962
Alleybux
My uncle used to work with her and said something about her business ethics being questionable... But he was such a messy queen, so I don't know if I should even believe him, lol!

Lyndy Prosper

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
9,773 283 27
Alleybux
She's a woman I actually greatly admire.

I know a few people who worked under her and my boss is friends with her. She apparently is a leader who is really good at pushing her staff to realise their potential. I hear she is also a woman who genuinely wants development for our people and not just line her pockets. But yes, apparently some of her business ethics can be questionable, lol. She also benefited a lot from BEE and having a powerful father and married a man (current husband Sifiso Dabengwa) who also comes from a great family. But I'm not going to knock her down, she's a very accomplished woman.

Her ex husband Vuyo Ndzeku though, was involved in shady dealings with NSB and SAA, he testified at the State Capture Inquiry. He's the guy who kept answering 'I don't remember'.

Voets3k

Reaction score
Reactions
141,544 5,316 2,962
Alleybux
She's a woman I actually greatly admire.

I know a few people who worked under her and my boss is friends with her. She apparently is a leader who is really good at pushing her staff to realise their potential. I hear she is also a woman who genuinely wants development for our people and not just line her pockets. But yes, apparently some of her business ethics can be questionable, lol. She also benefited a lot from BEE and having a powerful father and married a man (current husband Sifiso Dabengwa) who also comes from a great family. But I'm not going to knock her down, she's a very accomplished woman.

Her ex husband Vuyo Ndzeku though, was involved in shady dealings with NSB and SAA, he testified at the State Capture Inquiry. He's the guy who kept answering 'I don't remember'.
Oh, I didn't know that her ex-husband testified at the state capture inquiry... Okay, that is a bit dodgy. Anyway, I have no issues with young talented black individuals using BEE to get ahead, as you can tell with all her accomplishments, she's not just a BEE beneficiary. Lol, but what's shocking is that my uncle's tea was actually spot on, as always because he also spilled accurate tea about Bonang

Lyndy Prosper

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
9,773 283 27
Alleybux
Lol, yeah, I haven't heard about her being that problematic compared to a lot of other people though, like her ex-hubby and possibly her father too. What did your uncle say about Bonang?
Oh, I didn't know that her ex-husband testified at the state capture inquiry... Okay, that is a bit dodgy. Anyway, I have no issues with young talented black individuals using BEE to get ahead, as you can tell with all her accomplishments, she's not just a BEE beneficiary. Lol, but what's shocking is that my uncle's tea was actually spot on, as always because he also spilled accurate tea about Bonang

Voets3k

Reaction score
Reactions
141,544 5,316 2,962
Alleybux
Lol, yeah, I haven't heard about her being that problematic compared to a lot of other people though, like her ex-hubby and possibly her father too. What did your uncle say about Bonang?
He said queen B's only hustle is between her legs, and that she's into that nose candy... I didn't want to believe it because as I said, he's a messy b!tch. But I think over time Bonang's true character was revealed to the whole nation, when she dated 3 different men in a year, in addition to sneaking around with Aka. One of my journalist friends recently confirmed that she's into drugs, which confirmed tea my uncle spilled 7 years ago... I also remember how Minnie Dlamini spoke of how hard it was for her in the industry initially, and it also substantiates what a lot of people said about her behind the scenes, even though Minnie didn't say it directly.

My journalist friend also called B a professional slay queen, and doesn't have a real job, but maintains a top shayela lifestyle. But I think you know some of these things. Both my uncle and friend used to work at SABC during the early years of B's career, and she isn't popular among a lot of the people who work/worked there at all!

HERR

Reaction score
Reactions
7,406 225 1
Alleybux
So one can change their username with this new LSA?nice....

This new upgrade is still so different and weird.

banksy212

Triggering fonts like fleas on a Cl*t,
Reaction score
Reactions
99,389 6,185 2,313
Alleybux
1616346554091.gif

I was like so confused about this new person that mentioned me, but I now recognise the first to rebrand is botshelo. I’m awaiting more rebrands from @bobhope.

Phuti is so pretty and so smart, she seems like a take charge kinda woman. She’s my girl crush.

Lyndy Prosper

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
9,773 283 27
Alleybux
He said queen B's only hustle is between her legs, and that she's into that nose candy... I didn't want to believe it because as I said, he's a messy b!tch. But I think over time Bonang's true character was revealed to the whole nation, when she dated 3 different men in a year, in addition to sneaking around with Aka. One of my journalist friends recently confirmed that she's into drugs, which confirmed tea my uncle spilled 7 years ago... I also remember how Minnie Dlamini spoke of how hard it was for her in the industry initially, and it also substantiates what a lot of people said about her behind the scenes, even though Minnie didn't say it directly.

My journalist friend also called B a professional slay queen, and doesn't have a real job, but maintains a top shayela lifestyle. But I think you know some of these things. Both my uncle and friend used to work at SABC during the early years of B's career, and she isn't popular among a lot of the people who work/worked there at all!
Yeah, heard one of the main things she had in common with AKA was the nose candy, lol... Your uncle has the tea...
Lol, I was wondering who is this person tagging and quoting me...

Mantsho

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
165,122 13,156 9,082
Alleybux

Mxcim, I've been telling you hoes. Her game is clever because she makes sure the guys are not from SA. Mostly Nigerian. Her and AKA did the nose candy heavy.

knc286

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
35,536 1,442 463
Alleybux
It’s cute. How did you get it to glitter? I think I will change my username too.