Quantcast

The Last Dance: Michael Jordan Documentary Watch Thread

Miss 1990

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
91,132 3,586 309
Alleybux
ESPN is doing a 10-part series documenting Michael Jordan's last championship run, starting Sunday, April 19. Discuss, comment, analyze.

madness116

Harsh Truth Teller
Time Out
Reaction score
Reactions
308,145 26,249 31,726
Alleybux
This gonna be good. MJ already warned people that this documentary will make people look at him differently lol.

Also this was Kobe's last interview:(

IamAwesome84

Attraction. Reaction. So Much Satisfaction!
Reaction score
Reactions
236,551 4,082 740
Alleybux
OMG I almost forgot about this. Thank you for letting me know. I can't wait to see this!

Zaedilla

Ducking Rona and responsibility.
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
55,106 2,397 931
Alleybux
Let's go I can't wait to learn about my fµck boy idol

tenor.gif

lovelygirl24

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
14,319 120 51
Alleybux
Parked and ready!!! I've been waiting on this!

giphy.gif

Just learned that parts 9 & 10 of the 10 part documentary are not complete yet. But still... I'm excited for everyone to learn how much a winning asshole MJ truly was.

I'm going to hate Jerry Krause all over again.

Colts Fan

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
172,167 14,036 2,545
Alleybux
This gonna be good. MJ already warned people that this documentary will make people look at him differently lol.

Also this was Kobe's last interview:(

Not true the last interview Kobe had was with Matt Barnes and Stephen Jackson on their show on Showtime.

This MJ documentary was filmed two years ago they're just airing it now as opposed to June.

That being said I didn't like MJ before this documentary so...

Miss 1990

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
91,132 3,586 309
Alleybux
Not true the last interview Kobe had was with Matt Barnes and Stephen Jackson on their show on Showtime.

This MJ documentary was filmed two years ago they're just airing it now as opposed to June.

That being said I didn't like MJ before this documentary so...

One of the producers confirmed this week that they shot an interview with Kobe for this documentary a week before he died.

Colts Fan

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
172,167 14,036 2,545
Alleybux
One of the producers confirmed this week that they shot an interview with Kobe for this documentary a week before he died.

Probably something that was updated they want to add to the documentary but there was a promo for this documentary months ago that had a different clip of Kobe, Obama etc face shots. Most of us knew the past two years this was in production he was going to be in it.

Miss 1990

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
91,132 3,586 309
Alleybux
Probably something that was updated they want to add to the documentary but there was a promo for this documentary months ago that had a different clip of Kobe, Obama etc face shots. Most of us knew the past two years this was in production he was going to be in it.

He probably was a separate interview, but the producers did interview Kobe for this special a week before he died

Miss 1990

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
91,132 3,586 309
Alleybux
MJ's interview with GMA this morning. It was warm. You can tell he really loves his kids, parents, and siblings.

Redemption Song

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
78,008 6,640 2,659
Alleybux
This is going to be GOAT doc.

The end of the GOAT NBA era.

GOAT NBA player

GOAT NBA team

Many youngins will be enlightened.

Last edited:

Erika 23

You are the bag, secure yourself.
Reaction score
Reactions
41,854 1,112 430
Alleybux
I’ll wait for some reviews to come out first before I start watching.

If it turns out it’s the typical ESPN MJ lovefest, then no I won’t watch.

Gaou

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
138,939 4,018 1,050
Alleybux
I’ll wait for some reviews to come out first before I start watching.

If it turns out it’s the typical ESPN MJ lovefest, then no I won’t watch.

Lol you know that's what it's going to be. There's no damn way MJ would agree to release footage that'll make him actually look bad. The worst we'll probably see is him fighting and yelling at his teammates in practice and people will just chuck it up to competitive spirit. From the sneak peek, it looks like the bulls GM will be the bad guy. and one of the doc's exec said Isiah Thomas will be upset after watching it, so there's that

Last edited:

Colts Fan

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
172,167 14,036 2,545
Alleybux
Lol, it’s some lowkey haters in here! Did Mike eliminate your team too? :joy:

I've never been low key in my hatred for this guy he's my most hated athlete ever. While yes he did eliminate my team I grew up in Bulls country and always hated the Bulls plus one of my friends worked for the Bulls around that time and had terrible stories about him.

I'll just read the boards to see what Kobe has to say about him otherwise I have no interest in watching this because as someone said its not going to really portray Mike that badly.

Erika 23

Reaction score
Reactions
41,854 1,112 430
Alleybux

I'm not a hater...

I just don't think MJ is the GOAT. No matter how you look at it, there is not a single category in which he is the #1.

Not saying MJ is not a GOAT candidate, but how on earth is he considered by so many people as the undisputed GOAT? If you ask me, it's all about the marketing.

Colts Fan

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
172,167 14,036 2,545
Alleybux
I always hate how Kareem is ignored in these conversations I mean he's on the same level if not better than MJ.

He's too militant and doesn't have the marketing push MJ did though. That's the only real difference to me.

Colts Fan

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
172,167 14,036 2,545
Alleybux
How 'The Last Dance' Michael Jordan documentary started with an idea in 1997 - ProBasketballTalk | NBC Sports

How ‘The Last Dance’ Michael Jordan documentary started with an idea in 1997

The year was 1997. Andy Thompson had an idea. Adam Silver liked his plan.

Neither had any clue what they concocted.

The ESPN and Netflix documentary “The Last Dance” — the story based around Michael Jordan and the 1997-98 Chicago Bulls — premieres Sunday night with the first two episodes of the 10-part series. And the images from that season exist because of the notion that Thompson had and Silver, now the NBA commissioner but then the person in charge of NBA Entertainment, helped arrange.

Thompson, who already had been working at NBA Entertainment for about a decade, suggested embedding a crew with the Bulls. Silver made some phone calls. They were off and running.

“It’s almost hard to understate how famous Michael was and how popular this Bulls team was,” Silver told The Associated Press. “And so, Andy’s view was, ‘We need to find a way to capture this team in its glory.’ And there were no such things as multi-part documentaries on sports on television back then.”

But there had been some examples of the storytelling that Thompson — the brother of former NBA player Mychal Thompson, the uncle of Golden State Warriors guard Klay Thompson — was pitching to Silver. Specifically, Thompson was moved by the tale of the 1986-87 Edmonton Oilers, a video called “The Boys On The Bus,” which chronicled a season with Wayne Gretzky and the eventual Stanley Cup champions.

“No one in the NBA had ever done this,” Andy Thompson said. “And you’re not just doing this with a run of the mill NBA team. You’re doing this with the greatest player in the history of the game in Michael Jordan, who was very protective of his image and his privacy.”

He got to know Jordan a bit while working at the 1992 Olympics in Barcelona. He had worked closely with Ahmad Rashad, a Jordan confidant, through “NBA Inside Stuff,” a show Rashad hosted. And Andy Thompson knew Jordan once idolized his brother, so much so that he wore puka shell necklaces and once scribbled his name on a notebook as “Mychal Jordan” until his mother saw it and wasn’t pleased.

“Because of his respect and admiration for my brother, obviously, Michael and I connected,” Andy Thompson said.

Silver approached Bulls owner Jerry Reinsdorf first, then had to convince then-coach Phil Jackson — who also agreed, albeit with some conditions that if he didn’t want the crew around at certain times they would give him space. And in the end, Jordan had to sign off as well.

Silver also made the financial aspect work, running that part past then-Commissioner David Stern. The project had plenty of other people involved and was costly; high-definition video used today didn’t exist at that time, but Thompson had already made the decision to chronicle the season on very costly, high-quality film.

“I’ll take David’s quote and apply it to Andy,” Silver said. “Andy had an unlimited budget, then he exceeded it.”

Thompson’s crew shot hundreds of hours of film. They knew every trick; if cigar smoke was in the air, it meant Jordan was nearby. The crew captured him one day in the locker room, cigar in his mouth, baseball bat in his hand. Another interview that Thompson won’t forget is one with guard Steve Kerr, who escaped to the shower area and was seated alone before what became the final game of the season.

Having a brother in the NBA had familiarized Thompson with locker-room culture, when to push, when to back off.

“When to shut up, when to be a fly on the wall,” Thompson said. “That gave me a huge advantage in dealing with players. I wasn’t afraid, I wasn’t intimidated. I could speak their language, so I could develop relationships quicker because of that. And that’s what helped me navigate the course of the season because access didn’t just happen overnight. There was a feeling out process for us and the team and the team for us.”

The footage, until it was unearthed for this project, had been locked in a vault at NBA Entertainment. Silver said many people — Spike Lee, Danny DeVito and more — expressed interest in putting together the documentary over the years and that it became a running joke between he and Jordan if it would ever be seen.

Nearly a quarter-century later, the big moment has finally arrived.

“We made it happen, but I would only say in all seriousness, this would not have happened if we had a specific project budget,” Silver said. “We would have had a zero under revenue and a large number under expense. I think it was more a gut feeling we had that it was our obligation to do this and we would spend what was necessary to capture what we knew was one of the greatest athletes and one of the greatest teams of all time.”

Foodie35

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
2,037 5 3
Alleybux
Don't mean to brag but um ......living in Chicago in the 90's while the Bulls won SIX championships was one of the greatest parts of my childhood/adolescent/young adult years. It felt so good telling people I was Chicago and having the GOAT represent our city!!!!!

I just wished I could have went to Grant Park for the celebration. I have my DVR set!!!!! Pure nostalgia!!!!!:love:

Gaou

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
138,939 4,018 1,050
Alleybux
I always hate how Kareem is ignored in these conversations I mean he's on the same level if not better than MJ.

He's too militant and doesn't have the marketing push MJ did though. That's the only real difference to me.

Kareem has a best argument to be the GOAT more than anyone tbh esp when you look at all levels of basketball. The media are the ones who drive this conversation and they didn't like Kareem bc he stood up for what he believed esp during those times.

Gaou

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
138,939 4,018 1,050
Alleybux
Not surprised....lol

But I thought the reason he released the footage was because of GS winning 73 games that year and was being called the best team ever and then lost in the Finals. And he decided let's remind the people what a dynasty is. Jordan's always taken digs at GS.

Lol both the team and LeBron were threatening his legacy. I know he was STRESSED watching the finals. I wonder who he was rooting for :LOL:

Last edited:

Erika 23

Reaction score
Reactions
41,854 1,112 430
Alleybux
Lol both the team and LeBron were threatening his legacy. I know he was STRESSED watching the finals. I wonder who is was rooting for :LOL:

Considering how great he was and revered by the sports world, it’s shocking to see what a petty man he’s become. Sad, really.

LadyElle0301

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
150,813 4,332 1,748
Alleybux

If you actually read the article it had nothing to do with Lebron. That sh!t was click bait. :LOL:

It had a lot to do with Allen Iverson doc and Adam Silver.

Here a bit of the interview.

Over the next few months, the conversations continued. Tollin sketched out a proposal of what an eight-episode series might look like. Finally, in June 2016, a meeting was set with Jordan, now owner of the Charlotte Hornets

"The first page was a letter that I'd written to him," Tollin said. "Dear Michael, every day kids come into my office wearing your shoes, who've never seen you play.

"It's time."

Tollin could tell Jordan was engaged, because he stopped for a moment to put on his reading glasses.

"I'm thinking to myself, 'Wait, Michael Jordan needs reading glasses?'" Tolin said. "Well, he's 53. That's right. Yeah, OK."

Jordan read every page. He looked at the pictures. He read the quotes. Then he smiled as he looked at the eight episode thumbnail sketches.

The last page of the presentation was a look at the documentaries, movies and shows Tollin and his company, Mandalay Sports Media, had done.

"So there's Kareem [Abdul-Jabbar], there's Hank Aaron, there's 'Varsity Blues,' there's 'Coach Carter' and so forth," Tollin said. "He's actually looking at them all, and in the bottom right corner is 'Iverson.' He goes, 'You did that?'"

Tollin didn't answer. Jordan repeated the question.

Tollin wondered if this was going to work for or against him. Like the timing with the Cavaliers' championship parade that morning, it was impossible to know.

Tollin mumbled a cautious, "Yes."

Jordan took his glasses off, looked up and said, "I watched that thing three times. Made me cry. Love that little guy."

Then he walked around the desk, extended his hand and said, "Let's do it."

sportstalk23

The Ceiling Is The Roof
Reaction score
Reactions
1,008,188 19,354 928
Alleybux
Can't wait to relieve the time because what MJ was was prophetic about rebuilding because The Bulls ain't win sh!t since his last shot. Also busting up a championship team just because you jealous of the star and coach; is a weird flex man

Gaou

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
138,939 4,018 1,050
Alleybux
If you actually read the article it had nothing to do with Lebron. That sh!t was click bait. :LOL:

It had a lot to do with Allen Iverson doc and Adam Silver.

Here a bit of the interview.

Over the next few months, the conversations continued. Tollin sketched out a proposal of what an eight-episode series might look like. Finally, in June 2016, a meeting was set with Jordan, now owner of the Charlotte Hornets

"The first page was a letter that I'd written to him," Tollin said. "Dear Michael, every day kids come into my office wearing your shoes, who've never seen you play.

"It's time."

Tollin could tell Jordan was engaged, because he stopped for a moment to put on his reading glasses.

"I'm thinking to myself, 'Wait, Michael Jordan needs reading glasses?'" Tolin said. "Well, he's 53. That's right. Yeah, OK."

Jordan read every page. He looked at the pictures. He read the quotes. Then he smiled as he looked at the eight episode thumbnail sketches.

The last page of the presentation was a look at the documentaries, movies and shows Tollin and his company, Mandalay Sports Media, had done.

"So there's Kareem [Abdul-Jabbar], there's Hank Aaron, there's 'Varsity Blues,' there's 'Coach Carter' and so forth," Tollin said. "He's actually looking at them all, and in the bottom right corner is 'Iverson.' He goes, 'You did that?'"

Tollin didn't answer. Jordan repeated the question.

Tollin wondered if this was going to work for or against him. Like the timing with the Cavaliers' championship parade that morning, it was impossible to know.

Tollin mumbled a cautious, "Yes."

Jordan took his glasses off, looked up and said, "I watched that thing three times. Made me cry. Love that little guy."

Then he walked around the desk, extended his hand and said, "Let's do it."

It def had to do with LeBron and the warriors ascending, even bill Simmons, who is a lebron hater admitted that. Bill admitted they tried to do this doc for yrs and MJ said no and it wasn't until the warriors possibly going down as the greatest team ever then LeBron beating them did MJ finally agree to it. It's no coincidence and tbh, I don't blame MJ. Every super star has a huge ego

LadyElle0301

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
150,813 4,332 1,748
Alleybux
It def had to do with LeBron and the warriors ascending, even bill Simmons, who is a lebron hater admitted that. Bill admitted they tried to do this doc for yrs and MJ said no and it wasn't until the warriors possibly going down as the greatest team ever then LeBron beating them did MJ finally agree to it. It's no coincidence and tbh, I don't blame MJ. Every super star has a huge ego

It was definitely not confirmed like that article suggests. Which is why I called it click bait.

Bill Simmons isn’t the MJ connect so it’s just gossip otherwise. :emoji_shrug:

sportstalk23

The Ceiling Is The Roof
Reaction score
Reactions
1,008,188 19,354 928
Alleybux
This idea folks opinions are gonna change for who people born after in the 2000's. It is what it is alot of great entertainers athletes are assholes, that man job was to win, he did. Also MJ was literally having to carry that whole team that last year, Pip was hurt for a long stretch, and that front office stuff going on didn't help. Krause gets the well earned villain role but, Reinsdorf that cheap bastard deserves it too. Isaiah and MJ been hated each other guts for 30 years also no secret. It's all just nostalgia for me, considering the Bulls haven't sniffed that kind of success since, should tell you enough. I remember Dennis would always give away his Jersey after every game folks freaked out over getting one. That was the sports Beatles that 2nd 3-Peat

Gaou

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
138,939 4,018 1,050
Alleybux
It was definitely not confirmed like that article suggests. Which is why I called it click bait.

Bill Simmons isn’t the MJ connect so it’s just gossip otherwise. :emoji_shrug:

Bill is an ESPN connect tho. He worked with ESPN and their 30 for 30 docs team and talked about seeing those behind the scenes tapes and wanting to do the doc for yrs and MJ kept saying no until around the 2015-2016 season then he started being open to the idea. Bill is a huge MJ fan and LeBron hater, he's got no reason to lie

Deacon C

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
213,714 10,806 1,898
Alleybux

I’m reading through this thread wondering why MJ haters are even in here. If you don’t like him, why do you even care about this documentary? (n)

Anyhoo, I am so anxious for this doc! I watched him win all six of his titles and I’m looking forward to the nostalgia... especially with so much going on in the world today.

He is the GOAT! PeriodT!!!!

images

Colts Fan

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
172,167 14,036 2,545
Alleybux
Considering how great he was and revered by the sports world, it’s shocking to see what a petty man he’s become. Sad, really.

Those at the top of their profession are all like this at their core its something they can't turn off wait till Tom Brady finally retires... if you think he's insufferable now.