The Official Digital Security Thread

GeorgeSorrows

#BankrollingSocieties
Reaction score
Reactions
72,850 669 519
Alleybux
11 Tips For Students To Manage Their Digital Footprints
http://www.teachthought.com/the-fut...r-students-tomanage-their-digital-footprints/

1. Use Privacy Settings

Let’s talk Facebook, shall we? Chances are pretty good that your students can be counted among the 1.3 billion monthly active users of the social media giant, and there’s practically no other website that contains such a breadth and depth of personal information.

Encouraging students to put all of their social media accounts, including Facebook, on a short leash might be the most important step toward helping them manage their digital footprint. Look into Facebook’s proprietary privacy tips or get the works from Lifehacker.com with it’s “Always Up-to-Date Guide to Managing Your Facebook Privacy,” then inform students about the steps they can take. Better yet, just pass the links along.

Complete privacy on Twitter is simple — you just choose to protect your tweets under “security and privacy” on the account settings page — but encouraging students to do so might do more harm than good. Some teachers have gotten great results using Twitter in education, and a class full of students with protected tweets might interfere with that.

2. Keep A List Of Accounts

Then delete the ones you no longer use. That myspace page you signed up for? Don’t just forget about it–find it and delete it.

3. Don’t Overshare

Perhaps the best tip for helping students maintain privacy on Twitter is one that can be applied across the whole spectrum of social networking tools: Don’t overshare. As much of an alien concept as it may be to students these days, the only sure-fire way to avoid digital footprint trouble is for them to keep quiet about anything they wouldn’t want to share with everyone in town.

This includes usernames, aliases, passwords, last names, full-names-as-usernames, pictures, addresses, and other important information.

4. Use A Password Keeper

This is more of a security thing, but the worst kind of footprint is the one you didn’t make that contains all of your sensitive information. It’s too much work to remember 50 different passwords, and every site has their own unique rules. Until someone solves this problem, the best solution is likely a password keeper

5. Google Yourself

You may be surprised what you find.

6. Monitor Linking Accounts

When you link your facebook or twitter account to that new site (whatever site that might be), you may not realize–or care at the moment–what you’re giving it access to. It’s usually safest to use a secondary email address to sign-up for new sites rather than granting this kind of access.

7. Use A Secondary Email

Whether you’re communicating with someone new, or signing up for a new social media platform, it can be useful to have a secondary email address.

8. You Don’t Need 12 Email Addresses

That said, you don’t need 12. Keep it manageable.

9. Sending Is Like Publishing–Forever

Every time you send a message, post, or picture, you’re publishing it the same way CNN does a news story. And the internet never forgets.

10. Understand That Searches Are Social

There’s another side to your digital footprint, too — it’s not always information that you choose to make public. Remember: Privacy controls or no privacy controls, Facebook still records and uses every scrap of information it gets to better determine its users’ marketing demographics.

Google pulls the same trick with search and browsing habits. If a student is logged into their Google account, the service tracks every keyword they search, every Web page they visit and every time they visit Youtube.

There are ways, however, to control the bits of deep data that we leave strewn around. First of all, even though Google is practically an official synonym for “Web search,” it isn’t actually the only game in town. Less profit-motivated search engines like DuckDuckGo.com and Ixquick.com may take a little getting used to, but they do make explicit policy of protecting users’ browsing privacy.

11. Use Digital Tools To Manage Your Footprint

A host of browser extensions and app add-ons can also limit the surreptitious capture of personal information. Disconnect (Disconnect.me), DoNotTrackMe (Abine.com) and Ghostery (Ghostery.com) are examples of cross-platform extensions that block tracking cookies and give users control over site scripts.

McGuirk

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
16,071 532 258
Alleybux
Browser Privacy

Tip if you use Chrome - do not sign in your your google account on chrome because everything you do gets recorded. I found this out the hard way when I used Chrome at work and all my browser history and bookmarks were showing up on my work computer! Sometimes logging into gmail will automatically log you into your Chrome account, you can log out by clicking the little human icon in the top right corner of the browser window.

I love the user interface of Chrome but hate that Google runs it so I try to use Firefox more often. I just don't want one entity being privy to so much of my data.

Good resource on browser privacy and extensions you can add to beef it up (Source updates list regularly):

http://lifehacker.com/the-best-browser-extensions-that-protect-your-privacy-479408034

BDV

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
67,016 836 70
Alleybux
Thank you for the tag [MENTION=2373]BasicBlkGirl[/MENTION] I tried to give you a positive rep, but it said I gotta spread it around, haha. I think this will be really helpful and I'll be on the lookout for tips to post here.

unremarkable

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
17 3
Alleybux
1. Use any operating system that still receives updates.
2. Keep your computer updated.
3. Use linux if you can.
4. Use a VPN
5. If a link is to good to be true, it probably is.
6. Use encryption whenever you can.
7. If youre on windows , install each of the following: anitvirus, firewall, anti-malware, anti-keylogging, ad-blocker, anti-tracker,
8. Get Common Sense Internet Security Suite, with a lifetime key.

cyberglam

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
2,907 135 123
Alleybux
Use a VPN. That's one of the basics of internet safety. It encrypts all outgoing data, so your internet traffic becomes extremely hard to trace. I recommend PIA. They encrypt your wifi, block ads and malware, and most importantly, they don't keep logs of your internet traffic.

As for social media, I try to stay away from all of it, especially Facebook, because they log all your information and a lot of private data you wouldn't necessarily want to share with all your FB friends; location, contact list, etc. I've noticed they've recently began requiring a picture of your ID to regain access to your account which I think is absurd.

If you have a google account, they also track and log your info, geolocation, internet searches by default. Just log in on your computer and go through the setting to delete what they've logged (you'll be surprised at the info they have) and turn off the feature that allows this.

Limit the amount of personal information you share online. You know how racist white people get fired within a few hours because they listed their full name, place of work, spouse, and location on their twitter and Facebook pages? Yeah, don't do that

JR9386

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
10,402 487 1,075
Alleybux
Use a VPN. That's one of the basics of internet safety. It encrypts all outgoing data, so your internet traffic becomes extremely hard to trace. I recommend PIA. They encrypt your wifi, block ads and malware, and most importantly, they don't keep logs of your internet traffic.

As for social media, I try to stay away from all of it, especially Facebook, because they log all your information and a lot of private data you wouldn't necessarily want to share with all your FB friends; location, contact list, etc. I've noticed they've recently began requiring a picture of your ID to regain access to your account which I think is absurd.

If you have a google account, they also track and log your info, geolocation, internet searches by default. Just log in on your computer and go through the setting to delete what they've logged (you'll be surprised at the info they have) and turn off the feature that allows this.

Limit the amount of personal information you share online. You know how racist white people get fired within a few hours because they listed their full name, place of work, spouse, and location on their twitter and Facebook pages? Yeah, don't do that

I came to find out just yesterday, from a friend, that my Facebook account which I deactivated MONTHS ago, was somehow active again.

Lord have mercy.

I don't have time for this.

lub2bme

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
4,211 182 23
Alleybux
I came to find out just yesterday, from a friend, that my Facebook account which I deactivated MONTHS ago, was somehow active again.

Lord have mercy.

I don't have time for this.

The same thing happened to me. Even though it is private, I can't remember the log-in nor will they let me access my account without providing personal data. I hate facebook.

KoreanDramazlvr

Hahahaha..........((headturn))...........STUPID!!!
Reaction score
Reactions
15,738 459 291
Alleybux
this seriously needs an update. i just read an article about how people don't need firewalls anymore...

phishing is out of control.

Is there alist of tools hopefully free that a person should have in 2017 and beyond? I know malwarebytes. Opera has vpn...is that ok?

I mean get linux and do what with it? How does that help if I don't know how to use it? I don't even know whats going on in windows lol.

Jeff Bezos

I’m a lady
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
240,974 6,028 2,399
Alleybux
Is there anything good for a Chromebook? I mean like a free VPN, etc? I know CBs are said to have great built-in security thanks to the minimal OS, but I would like some added protection and the ability to hide my whereabouts.

Biggie Smiles

Starter
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
774 75 806
Alleybux
Why anyone would want to use a "VPN", especially those provided by questionable entities, is beyond me. Most sites which are worth visiting in the first place are already encrypted via a protocol known as TLS which is short for Transport Layer Encryption.

In fact, as a security expert (this is my field) I would argue that you are at MORE risk using one of these servers as your connections to any and all destinations is first proxied through the TOR exit node or other system designed to mask your publicly routable IP address.

So yes, your dynamically assigned IP address provided by your ISP is no longer view-able to the site you are visiting but this comes at a price. The price being the controllers of the proxy can now intercept your communication while in transit and siphon your username and passwords while in transit.

Blah3

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
687 3 3
Alleybux
I hav discovered an encrypted free email u can use called prottonmail. They in Germany I think where due to communism (state stazi opening mail etc) & nazi human rights violation in recent-ish history, ppl appreciate privacy a lot

Protonmail.com

If u go into sheetings I suggest
U enable two factor authentication for logging in. When u join they send u email explaining how download 2FA two factor authentication app such as twilio authy. It's easier than expected, to set up n use

Authy | Two-factor Authentication (2FA) App & Guides

Also u can look at logs - it logs sign in attempts both failed and successes plus sessions and u can revoke sessions.

I hav it so there is zero ability to reset password

Because:

My phone was cloned I been spayed in
Had to delete Google account
And destroy phone

Your encrypted emails, sites *are only as secure as Ur device*

It is so easy for a device to be hacked and cloned

Look on eBay - for $10 a suite of 109s of spoof, spyware, hacking tools smh

Ofc Google lie and say it's rare

Your phone has sim card and also imea number or sumn ..

[ IMEI international Mobile Equipment Identity; a factory-installed unique serial number that identifies each unit or line of service ]

.. but these numbers easily cloned

(In fact fake iPhones/Samsung's made prolly in same factories or nearby likely same as designer bags high fashion)

Very hard to research but sum articles mention cases where thousands phones hav same IMEI

I can't understand rlly

BUT

Also apple is 'the safest operating system in the wirkd*" says...... Apple lol.

But I wanna go back to apple.

U must hav a VPN to secure ur device.

A company who provide z00mtak boxes (television hack get round geo blocking, telly for free etc) they recommend a VPN called ip vanish.

It's like $4 per month if u get a discount from a link like this or similar
IPVanish – The Best VPN Service

It's not fun knowing Ur intimate life over decades in many apps emails platforms been spyed on.

And to hv to delete account including important data.

I recommend Never use Google as a thing to remember passwords. If u lose Google u lose hundreds sites

Also very very often passwords get compromised hence Google tell u "154 passwords need changing" smh

Also never agree to cookies

But.
It's pain in ass rejectin cookies

Plus pain in ass wen Google does capchas ova n ova again Cuz u use Vpn.

I hadda buy by phone n also

Now I needs cancel home WiFiinternet n n replace with by provider plus get a v gud router n vpn to try prevent future attempts, plus never use public WiFi ..

Issa big pain in ass

Plus locked outta eBay PayPal etc etc

So meh.

Also never use isIn.st.agr.am officially spyware yes Officially in the terms n conditions since November'20 Instagram — Spyware Watchdog

Use sta.lkhub or stories down story viewer or similar (just search ) however periodically i.g makes these not work so u trial n error.

If u Must use i.nst.agram , then I'd suggest a separate done u use for that Only / for biz social media Only.

It's all info useable in a court of law etc.
Proton mail is actually designed for journalists to avoid gover.nments spyin on 'em etc

I heard that Facebook/ig etc profit off advertising so they Need Ur data (mining, spyware) more than does apple who sell devices hardware objects. In theory.

Also plz don't use Alexa Siri etc - this is 24/7 recording u as is heart monitors blah blah issa Trap. Also IoT internet of things again spying on intimate daily routines habits to design addictive products .

Also a fridge or electricity "smart" translation means "they can cut off Ur food and power in instant"

UK dumb af has power stations owned by China Online hackable. Dumb. Vulnerable.

Cyber warfare wants ppl vulnerable everything online from data to naked pic to no more cash to electricity.
Anyhoo too much typin so I stop

As per [MENTION=42877]McGuirk[/MENTION] - great suggestion by the way: Do you tape your webcam & mic? Mark Zuckkerberg does

Let's discuss measures you take to maintain digital security. Post links to helpful articles, your tips, etc.

Blah3

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
687 3 3
Alleybux
this seriously needs an update. i just read an article about how people don't need firewalls anymore...

phishing is out of control.

Is there alist of tools hopefully free that a person should have in 2017 and beyond? I know malwarebytes. Opera has vpn...is that ok?

I mean get linux and do what with it? How does that help if I don't know how to use it? I don't even know whats going on in windows lol.
Perhaps try apple as is user friendly and fewer viruses relatively speakin compared to windows, I heard ?

Blah3

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
687 3 3
Alleybux
11 Tips For Students To Manage Their Digital Footprints
12 Tips For Students To Manage Their Digital Footprints

1. Use Privacy Settings

Let’s talk Facebook, shall we? Chances are pretty good that your students can be counted among the 1.3 billion monthly active users of the social media giant, and there’s practically no other website that contains such a breadth and depth of personal information.

Encouraging students to put all of their social media accounts, including Facebook, on a short leash might be the most important step toward helping them manage their digital footprint. Look into Facebook’s proprietary privacy tips or get the works from Lifehacker.com with it’s “Always Up-to-Date Guide to Managing Your Facebook Privacy,” then inform students about the steps they can take. Better yet, just pass the links along.

Complete privacy on Twitter is simple — you just choose to protect your tweets under “security and privacy” on the account settings page — but encouraging students to do so might do more harm than good. Some teachers have gotten great results using Twitter in education, and a class full of students with protected tweets might interfere with that.

2. Keep A List Of Accounts

Then delete the ones you no longer use. That myspace page you signed up for? Don’t just forget about it–find it and delete it.

3. Don’t Overshare

Perhaps the best tip for helping students maintain privacy on Twitter is one that can be applied across the whole spectrum of social networking tools: Don’t overshare. As much of an alien concept as it may be to students these days, the only sure-fire way to avoid digital footprint trouble is for them to keep quiet about anything they wouldn’t want to share with everyone in town.

This includes usernames, aliases, passwords, last names, full-names-as-usernames, pictures, addresses, and other important information.

4. Use A Password Keeper

This is more of a security thing, but the worst kind of footprint is the one you didn’t make that contains all of your sensitive information. It’s too much work to remember 50 different passwords, and every site has their own unique rules. Until someone solves this problem, the best solution is likely a password keeper

5. Google Yourself

You may be surprised what you find.

6. Monitor Linking Accounts

When you link your facebook or twitter account to that new site (whatever site that might be), you may not realize–or care at the moment–what you’re giving it access to. It’s usually safest to use a secondary email address to sign-up for new sites rather than granting this kind of access.

7. Use A Secondary Email

Whether you’re communicating with someone new, or signing up for a new social media platform, it can be useful to have a secondary email address.

8. You Don’t Need 12 Email Addresses

That said, you don’t need 12. Keep it manageable.

9. Sending Is Like Publishing–Forever

Every time you send a message, post, or picture, you’re publishing it the same way CNN does a news story. And the internet never forgets.

10. Understand That Searches Are Social

There’s another side to your digital footprint, too — it’s not always information that you choose to make public. Remember: Privacy controls or no privacy controls, Facebook still records and uses every scrap of information it gets to better determine its users’ marketing demographics.

Google pulls the same trick with search and browsing habits. If a student is logged into their Google account, the service tracks every keyword they search, every Web page they visit and every time they visit Youtube.

There are ways, however, to control the bits of deep data that we leave strewn around. First of all, even though Google is practically an official synonym for “Web search,” it isn’t actually the only game in town. Less profit-motivated search engines like DuckDuckGo.com and Ixquick.com may take a little getting used to, but they do make explicit policy of protecting users’ browsing privacy.

11. Use Digital Tools To Manage Your Footprint

A host of browser extensions and app add-ons can also limit the surreptitious capture of personal information. Disconnect (Disconnect.me), DoNotTrackMe (Abine.com) and Ghostery (Ghostery.com) are examples of cross-platform extensions that block tracking cookies and give users control over site scripts.
Finsta fake insta is way young ppl use to say what they rlly actually think online. Young ppl apparently they all be fake n lie online to avoid being unemployable. But b careful the finsta never exposed doxxed etc blah I guess

Blah3

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
687 3 3
Alleybux
Also sorry forgot If
your android phone is cloned then the authenticator Google app is compromised. Zero is safe if Ur device cloned. Not the two step authentication nothing helps. Cus the cloned device is seeing everything as if it is your real phone. They take screenshot, they record n see all. And they can stop things working glitchy.

One sign Ur device cloned is battery drain fast or glitchy phone.

U can reset password a million times but the cloned phone knows the reset password. The cloned phone has the authentication app. And gets or blocks the text verification codes.

If Ur phone cloned u can do nothing to recover.

Must delete all emails all accounts all social media associated.

Or contact social media try be allowed back in but they usually deny u.

***** Text verification is very bad. Use authy . Google verification app is janky imo. Text verification -- they easily spoof/cloned/intercept the text.

This how celebs often hacked.

Do not rely on text as two step authentication 2FA.

Look it up iss true*****

MichaelMYERS

Stalking Laurie Strode's ass since 1978
Reaction score
Reactions
309,302 4,737 1,693
Alleybux
I'm too much of a pussy ass b!tch to do that sh!t and heard too many stories gone wrong lol.