Britt

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
35,926 625 112
Alleybux
Hi everyone :)

Has anyone seen khyelijah on Instagram? She gets her clients' hair incredibly straight (before curling it). I haven't seen anyone's silk presses look like that, not even Janay Mickels. I am kinda new to silk presses though.

Hopefully this isn't a silly question, but, do you think down to it's technique or products?
I think it's product and most definitely technique. I've bought and used great products but I simply cannot get a decent flat iron for the life of me. I've gotten the babyliss iron, have had other good irons in the past, I do small sections, bought the chi serum, etc.... My silk presses are still terrible lol, not sure where I'm going wrong. I think it looks easier than it is. Stylists are able to stand behind you and give you one pass and flick their wrist me, not so much lol. I think it's one of those things I've accepted. When I was relaxed I could do a pretty decent rollerset and now I can perfect my wash n go... that silk press I just can't quite get good. Now that I think about it, having gone to different stylists, my silk press results have varied, so I def think technique is a huge part also.

Reaction score
Reactions
3,406 55 23
Alleybux
I think it's product and most definitely technique. I've bought and used great products but I simply cannot get a decent flat iron for the life of me. I've gotten the babyliss iron, have had other good irons in the past, I do small sections, bought the chi serum, etc.... My silk presses are still terrible lol, not sure where I'm going wrong. I think it looks easier than it is. Stylists are able to stand behind you and give you one pass and flick their wrist me, not so much lol. I think it's one of those things I've accepted. When I was relaxed I could do a pretty decent rollerset and now I can perfect my wash n go... that silk press I just can't quite get good. Now that I think about it, having gone to different stylists, my silk press results have varied, so I def think technique is a huge part also.
What makes your silk press terrible? Is it too stiff? Not silky enough? Or is it greasy and weighed down?

Britt

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
35,926 625 112
Alleybux
What makes your silk press terrible? Is it too stiff? Not silky enough? Or is it greasy and weighed down?
It simply doesn’t get straight, even when I do small sections. I would have to keep going over the section. I use about 415 degrees or whatever option before the highest as my hair is finer in some sections. My presses are never silky and turn out like a fluffy smooth blow out as opposed to a silk press. The ends never get that smoothness. I’m not good at the comb chase either.

Reaction score
Reactions
3,406 55 23
Alleybux
It simply doesn’t get straight, even when I do small sections. I would have to keep going over the section. I use about 415 degrees or whatever option before the highest as my hair is finer in some sections. My presses are never silky and turn out like a fluffy smooth blow out as opposed to a silk press. The ends never get that smoothness. I’m not good at the comb chase either.
Ah okay! I have a feeling that it may be your blow dry process. You mentioned using a Babyliss iron which has fantastic results from what I’ve seen.

Do you use sulfate shampoos and silicon heavy conditioners before your silk press, as well as using high heat on your high dryer coupled with some sort of comb? (comb attachment or paddle brush?)

I also assume that you have type 4 hair, but correct me if I’m wrong!

Last edited:

Papaya

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
6,222 247 34
Alleybux
some hairstyles for those who want to keep there hair straight/blown out/stretched during the summer

basically just braid outs, twist outs and bantu knots on stretched hair lol

Last edited:

Britt

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
35,926 625 112
Alleybux
Ah okay! I have a feeling that it may be your blow dry process. You mentioned using a Babyliss iron which has fantastic results from what I’ve seen.

Do you use sulfate shampoos and silicon heavy conditioners before your silk press, as well as using high heat on your high dryer coupled with some sort of comb? (comb attachment or paddle brush?)

I also assume that you have type 4 hair, but correct me if I’m wrong!
I use sulfate free products, but I also have Olaplex poo and conditioner. I think I have all the 'right' products lol. I use a blow dryer with the comb. I never use heavy products, it's honestly perplexing to me. I have type 3c/4a hair medium to fine density with varying coil/curl size. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

I will say, when I use to go to a stylist she would press my hair and as soon as I'd leave the salon my hair would revert. I remember one time getting my hair done in the dead of winter. I went out that night and my hair literally POOFED from the humidity inside. I sent pics to her to show her. She was floored. The same thing has happened when I had her press my hair in the summer time, from the moment I left the salon to the time I reached home -- my hair poofed. She could never figure out why. She would always say she doesn't know why my hair does that.

The other few times I've had my hair silk pressed, it doesn't really last, and I only mean by one week. If I had hair that could last a week and look great, I'd be a heat trained natural. I just think my hair likes being left curly even though I really want to wear it straighter some times. I can't figure it out. Same thing with my twist outs, they will frizz out really easily.. I've tried all the foams and different products. The only style that has worked consistently is wash n go's.

I know you didn't ask for all of this but I just wanted to give you some background and insight. It's like my hair loves water and gel and not much else but from a styling perspective that's very limited. Ideally, I'd love to wear a blow out and curls or just more stretched styles. I sometimes think I would have to get some type of keratin treatment in order to do this.

Reaction score
Reactions
3,406 55 23
Alleybux
I use sulfate free products, but I also have Olaplex poo and conditioner. I think I have all the 'right' products lol. I use a blow dryer with the comb. I never use heavy products, it's honestly perplexing to me. I have type 3c/4a hair medium to fine density with varying coil/curl size. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

I will say, when I use to go to a stylist she would press my hair and as soon as I'd leave the salon my hair would revert. I remember one time getting my hair done in the dead of winter. I went out that night and my hair literally POOFED from the humidity inside. I sent pics to her to show her. She was floored. The same thing has happened when I had her press my hair in the summer time, from the moment I left the salon to the time I reached home -- my hair poofed. She could never figure out why. She would always say she doesn't know why my hair does that.

The other few times I've had my hair silk pressed, it doesn't really last, and I only mean by one week. If I had hair that could last a week and look great, I'd be a heat trained natural. I just think my hair likes being left curly even though I really want to wear it straighter some times. I can't figure it out. Same thing with my twist outs, they will frizz out really easily.. I've tried all the foams and different products. The only style that has worked consistently is wash n go's.

I know you didn't ask for all of this but I just wanted to give you some background and insight. It's like my hair loves water and gel and not much else but from a styling perspective that's very limited. Ideally, I'd love to wear a blow out and curls or just more stretched styles. I sometimes think I would have to get some type of keratin treatment in order to do this.
It does seem perplexing. It sounds like you have very high porosity hair that sucks in moisture as much as it can. You're right in the idea that your hair may just prefer being left in its natural state. Since you use all of the right products and tools, and I assume you follow the tips mentioned in the OP, the final thing I would suggest is to crank the heat up on your iron (close to 450)--but that may cause more harm than good.

I hope you're able to enjoy a long lasting silk press soon! Let us know how keratin goes, if you ever decide to try it.

Britt

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
35,926 625 112
Alleybux
It does seem perplexing. It sounds like you have very high porosity hair that sucks in moisture as much as it can. You're right in the idea that your hair may just prefer being left in its natural state. Since you use all of the right products and tools, and I assume you follow the tips mentioned in the OP, the final thing I would suggest is to crank the heat up on your iron (close to 450)--but that may cause more harm than good.

I hope you're able to enjoy a long lasting silk press soon! Let us know how keratin goes, if you ever decide to try it.
Thank you!
I def think it could be a porosity issue. I really would love to know the reason, maybe a stylist can explain it to me if they figure it out lol. The other side of using heat too high is getting heat damage. It's happened to me a few times at the salon :beatup. I just remembered, yearsssss ago when I was relaxed, I had a hair dresser tell me my hair isn't mean to stay straight. This was way before I went natural or even considered it. I guess they knew what they were talking about, they couldn't get scientific, but I do remember being told that. Hopefully I can get a good silk press, maybe in the fall.

chanelnelz

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
146 2
Alleybux
Ladies what rollers do you use for your hair? I am looking for rollers to keep my leave out straight through the night so I don’t have to restraighten every morning. I tried the Velcro rollers but they felt no good for my hair, it got tangled and pulled on my strands. Please suggest

BrwnSknBeauty

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
112,643 5,496 3,704
Alleybux
Ladies what rollers do you use for your hair? I am looking for rollers to keep my leave out straight through the night so I don’t have to restraighten every morning. I tried the Velcro rollers but they felt no good for my hair, it got tangled and pulled on my strands. Please suggest
I pin curl or a high pony that sits at the front of my head. I also sleep on a satin pillow.

Cherrycutie

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
2,097 40 24
Alleybux
Hi everyone! This is my first time posting in this thread, but I’ve been following since it started for tips to do my own silk presses since the pandemic. I’ve been a heat-trained natural for about ten years and still struggle with frizz from workouts and humidity.

I just recently got back from vacation in the DR and wanted to share my results with this product. It’s the Color Wow Dream Coat Supernatural spray and decided to pick it up after seeing a video my friend sent me.

It is a GAME CHANGER for fighting humidity!!! I currently have a sew in with leave out and basically had zero stress maintaining my style during my vacation.

I sprayed it on after washing and before blow drying and then did my routine as normal (press edges, flat iron etc). My hair was basically unaffected by the humidity and I was even able to go snorkeling without issue. When I got back to my room after drying off, I thought I would have a disaster on my hands but my hair was basically unaffected—not completely smooth and shiny as before but there was no reverting back to my curl pattern!

I’m going to start using it regularly and see if it will also help with maintaining my hair after working out. I’m also moving to the DMV in the next couple months where the battle against humidity will definitely be tested. Lol! But for now, I’m swearing by it!!

Edit: sorry about the link! I added a new one and a photo

A9AEDC81-E3E2-4F7D-AD4B-7F7D275A8C37.png

Last edited:

Loma Loam

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
25,261 734 27
Alleybux
Hi everyone! This is my first time posting in this thread, but I’ve been following since it started for tips to do my own silk presses since the pandemic. I’ve been a heat-trained natural for about ten years and still struggle with frizz from workouts and humidity.

I just recently got back from vacation in the DR and wanted to share my results with this product. It’s the Color Wow Dream Coat Supernatural spray and decided to pick it up after seeing a video my friend sent me.

It is a GAME CHANGER for fighting humidity!!! I currently have a sew in with leave out and basically had zero stress maintaining my style during my vacation.

I sprayed it on after washing and before blow drying and then did my routine as normal (press edges, flat iron etc). My hair was basically unaffected by the humidity and I was even able to go snorkeling without issue. When I got back to my room after drying off, I thought I would have a disaster on my hands but my hair was basically unaffected—not completely smooth and shiny as before but there was no reverting back to my curl pattern!

I’m going to start using it regularly and see if it will also help with maintaining my hair after working out. I’m also moving to the DMV in the next couple months where the battle against humidity will definitely be tested. Lol! But for now, I’m swearing by it!!

Color Wow Dream Coat Supernatural Spray – Multi-award-winning anti-frizz spray keeps hair frizz-free for days no matter the weather with moisture-repellant anti-humidity technology; glass hair results https://a.co/d/7J2UeF3
Nothing comes up when I click on the link but I will give it a try.

Stanforme

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,168 30 2
Alleybux

View attachment 3772965
Your leave out stayed straight even after snorkeling?

chanelnelz

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
146 2
Alleybux

View attachment 3772965
Whats your hair type? Do you use any other products with it?

Cherrycutie

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
2,097 40 24
Alleybux
Your leave out stayed straight even after snorkeling?

Whats your hair type? Do you use any other products with it?

The portion of my leave out is much more best trained/damaged than the rest of my hair so I can’t really type it. The rest of my hair is very 4c though. Basically I went swimming, but my hair didn’t absorb as much water as it normally would and definitely didn’t curl back up like it typically would. Once my hair was dry, it looked like a silk press that was like one week old. Not perfect, but still looking good

chanelnelz

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
146 2
Alleybux
The portion of my leave out is much more best trained/damaged than the rest of my hair so I can’t really type it. The rest of my hair is very 4c though. Basically I went swimming, but my hair didn’t absorb as much water as it normally would and definitely didn’t curl back up like it typically would. Once my hair was dry, it looked like a silk press that was like one week old. Not perfect, but still looking good
Thanks girl I'll give it a go! How did you find maintaining a leave out sew-in on vacation?

Cherrycutie

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
2,097 40 24
Alleybux
Thanks girl I'll give it a go! How did you find maintaining a leave out sew-in on vacation?
Honestly I would prefer braids but I’ve yet to find someone to do them the way I like. I’ve done vacation with a leave out before and it’s not too bad. It is high maintenance though because I make sure I have an emergency kit (travel blow dryer, electric comb, shampoo etc) of things I would need to wash and straighten my hair if needed.

I was basically expecting to have to touch up my hair a lot more than I did so I was very pleasantly surprised on how little I needed to do.

Latoya Jackson

"hoe/creative"
Reaction score
Reactions
101,061 1,874 490
Alleybux

I'm in the same boat as you. My hair stylist calls my hair "soft" because it always reverts. It reverted in the salon one time. I want to try a keratin treatment, but I also don't want to "process" my hair.

I discovered this through laziness. Have you tried leaving your heat-protectant on your hair overnight in a braid-out/twist out then pressing your hair? I did it once. Now it is a part of my routine because it made a huge difference that I allowed my hair to absorb the product so it won't be too thirsty outside.

Britt

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
35,926 625 112
Alleybux
I'm in the same boat as you. My hair stylist calls my hair "soft" because it always reverts. It reverted in the salon one time. I want to try a keratin treatment, but I also don't want to "process" my hair.

I discovered this through laziness. Have you tried leaving your heat-protectant on your hair overnight in a braid-out/twist out then pressing your hair? I did it once. Now it is a part of my routine because it made a huge difference that I allowed my hair to absorb the product so it won't be too thirsty outside.
This sounds like my hair.
Nope, I have not attempted to straighten it myself and probably wont for a while. I could see how the heat protectant getting a chance to soak in could help reversion.

I hear you about the keratin treatment, and I think with our hair type it would certainly process it lol. I could probably kiss my wash n go’s goodbye lol.

Cleanndirty

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
10,655 291 73
Alleybux
O
some hairstyles for those who want to keep there hair straight/blown out/stretched during the summer

basically just braid outs, twist outs and bantu knots on stretched hair lol

Omgg the 3rd video is my goal. I have the thickness I just can’t flat braid for sh!t. Im working on it.

I’ve decided I want to learn to cornrow because individual twists take forever and a day to do. But of course on stretched hair it’s the easiest.

I blowdry my hair with the revair every wash day and it’s really made it easier

chanelnelz

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
146 2
Alleybux
Any recommended keratin treatment brands? I want to try it for the first time and unsure of the best for type 4 hair.

Buckeye Rose

Relaxation Specialist
Reaction score
Reactions
144,893 7,020 1,593
Alleybux
Any recommended keratin treatment brands? I want to try it for the first time and unsure of the best for type 4 hair.
I did the one that Miriam Hampton? From YouTube does a few years ago. It's sold on Amazon and it didn't damage my hair and washed away after about a month. I'm type 4... I did get scared that my curl weren't going to revert but I did a aphogee treatment and it was fine. ❤️

chanelnelz

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
146 2
Alleybux
I did the one that Miriam Hampton? From YouTube does a few years ago. It's sold on Amazon and it didn't damage my hair and washed away after about a month. I'm type 4... I did get scared that my curl weren't going to revert but I did a aphogee treatment and it was fine. ❤️
Thanks so much! Do you have the Amazon link?

Ideally I want a keratin that will last longer than 1 month because I sweat alot due to exercise so I wash weekly, I don't want my keratin to fade too quickly

MrsRoger

Loving My Habesha King
Reaction score
Reactions
20,154 585 165
Alleybux
Can anyone recommend a hair dryer? I'm looking at Rusk or FHI.

Tennessee Slim

Meow meow.. Get yo own sh!t... Joi!!
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
152,760 7,163 2,219
Alleybux
Thank you!
I def think it could be a porosity issue. I really would love to know the reason, maybe a stylist can explain it to me if they figure it out lol. The other side of using heat too high is getting heat damage. It's happened to me a few times at the salon :beatup. I just remembered, yearsssss ago when I was relaxed, I had a hair dresser tell me my hair isn't mean to stay straight. This was way before I went natural or even considered it. I guess they knew what they were talking about, they couldn't get scientific, but I do remember being told that. Hopefully I can get a good silk press, maybe in the fall.
Your hair sounds like mine and I have extremely porous hair. I just did my first real press at home and it was a combo of the hottest dryer and a hot ass iron plus some shea moisture spray. It worked.

Britt

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
35,926 625 112
Alleybux
Your hair sounds like mine and I have extremely porous hair. I just did my first real press at home and it was a combo of the hottest dryer and a hot ass iron plus some shea moisture spray. It worked.
Which shea moisture spray did you use?

Prettyeyes212

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
159,428 3,914 2,264
Alleybux
I think I’m officially heat trained whooooo!!! My hair stayed completely straight for 2 weeks in my humid hometown!

Keep in mind, the humidity there is usually 90 to 100% humidity. So I’m super happy

Im so grateful for my stylist. This 89 dollar silk pressed keep my hair healthy and straight

chaka

Bench Warmer
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
Can anyone recommend a hair dryer? I'm looking at Rusk or FHI.
I bought the FHI Platform
2000 Nano Power Pro Dryer a few months ago and I love it. I have Type 4 hair, really thick, and the dryer gets it straight. The comb secures tightly onto the dryer and has never once come off. I recommend!

Cleanndirty

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
10,655 291 73
Alleybux
I love having my hair in a blowout/stretched state. The revair is helping me so much to be able to achieve this and I use it every wash day. I’m starting to think I should make an official thread for the revair for those who spent the money on it like I did. Hmm

ETA: I ended up creating a revair hair care thread for those who are interested, here it is
Thread 'The Official Revair Naturals Support Thread'
The Official Revair Naturals Support Thread

Thanks @ByAnyOtherName you inspired me to do this! Plus I had time today lol

Last edited:

MrsRoger

Loving My Habesha King
Reaction score
Reactions
20,154 585 165
Alleybux
I love having my hair in a blowout/stretched state. The revair is helping me so much to be able to achieve this and I use it every wash day. I’m starting to think I should make an official thread for the revair for those who spent the money on it like I did. Hmm
Do you have the old or new model? I have the old one. The company is giving 20% off of the new one to people who have the old one.

Cleanndirty

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
10,655 291 73
Alleybux
Do you have the old or new model? I have the old one. The company is giving 20% off of the new one to people who have the old one.
I have the old one. I was so happy to hear they came out with a newer design after all these years but of course I missed it. I won’t be repurchasing as I’m already happy with what I have!

MrsRoger

Loving My Habesha King
Reaction score
Reactions
20,154 585 165
Alleybux
I just want to make it very clear that you have to apply some tension when using the flat iron. (don't go crazy though lol) I went YEARS thinking my hair was simply "unable to straighten" when truly, my technique was trash. Once I got that down, I was shocked. All my @ home silk presses look professional like I walked out the salon.
How do you do this?

black prada

It’s all fun and games until I wanna play too
Reaction score
Reactions
160,923 5,153 1,626
Alleybux
Hi everyone, I'm not a heat straightened natural but I thought that I would ask this question in this thread because of the good advice given here. I've been having issues because every time I try to do a "silk press" my hair looks like a blowout. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

I first blow-dry my hair on low heat as straight as possible. The products I use for the blow-dry are Its a 10 keratin leave in and a dab of chi silk infusion. I then straighten it on 400 degrees (with a ceramic flat iron) and use olaplex no 7 bonding oil as my heat protectant. I also do the chase method with a comb but I'm only able to apply more tension on some sections than others because my hand eye coordination sucks lol. My hair still has so much volume and isn't bone straight like I would like. Any suggestions for what I should change or add to my routine? Thanks so much!!

honeygrl

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
3,345 249 14
Alleybux
Hi everyone! So I'm starting to straighten my hair and I've been following a lot of tips and I finally got a somewhat good silk press but I can never get my roots straight. I'm thinking about getting hot comb. I've also noticed how many split ends, flyaway and single strand knots I have. I did not notice this when I was wearing my natural hair.

News Alley

Top Bottom