Quantcast

The Spooky/Scary African American Reads Thread

StylishCurvyGirl

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
19,468 223 18
Alleybux
Halloween is my Christmas so I'm super excited ...amidst my annual Halloween haunted house tours, scary movie marathons, etc I need to get my October TBR list together. Do you have any horror books by Black authors that you loved?

I already plan on reading my first Brandon Massey novel but who else is out there that I"m sleeping AA wise. (Stephen King is my all time fave horror author and Anne Rice).

Garnet83

Soulja boy's Gucci headband.
Reaction score
Reactions
59,247 1,902 1,007
Alleybux
What are you planning on reading by Brandon Massey? I don't know of any AA horror novels, so I hope folks can chime in cus I love horror and am trying to expand on my collection of AA novels/books.

StylishCurvyGirl

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
19,468 223 18
Alleybux
What are you planning on reading by Brandon Massey? I don't know of any AA horror novels, so I hope folks can chime in cus I love horror and am trying to expand on my collection of AA novels/books.

This is the one:

51WqnZiTf7L._SY346_.jpg

From award-winning author Brandon Massey comes a terrifying new novel about a town besieged by evil . . . and the one man who is determined to fight the darkness . . .

When renowned author Richard Hunter dies in a boating accident, his son David travels to Mason's Corner, Mississippi, to find out more about the father he never really knew. At first, Mason's Corner seems friendly and unassuming-–the perfect small town. But after a newcomer moves into the old-–and supposedly haunted-–mansion on the hill, everything changes . . .

People begin to disappear. Dogs viciously attack. And soon David discovers that the terror consuming this place has its roots in his own family tree . . .

For something has risen in Mason's Corner. Something with bloody ties to the town's past. Something undead--and hungering for vengeance

StylishCurvyGirl

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
19,468 223 18
Alleybux
Another one on my TBR

51heNmr3WqL.jpg

They say Philadelphia is the city of brotherly love. For twins Joey and Michael Harris that is very true. They have love for each other. But no love for anybody else. Especially their father and anyone who works in the law profession. Being molested at a young age by their father. The twins de-cide it's time as adults for a little payback. They set their sites on Cops, Judges, Law-yer's and anybody in that profession. Their goal is to smoke out their dad and make him pay for his sins. Gerald Harris is a detective in the homicide division. He along with his partner Detective Doris Hines are assigned to find out who has been killing all these offi-cials over the past year. Gerald has no idea that he is chasing his sons who left home at the age of 13. Gerald has secrets nobody in the department is aware of. If word of his se-crets got out, it would be the end of his ca-reer. With pressure from his boss and the Mayor. The hunt is on to find the killers who he doesn't realize are his own sons. Will his secrets be exposed? Will the brothers get some revenge? Will Karma have the last word? Join the bloody manhunt for two of the sickest serial killers in Philly's history. Seeds Of The Devil is a book that will leave you with your mouth hanging open. Nobody is safe. All bets are off. The devil is here. RUN!!!

DatChik

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Reactions
94 12 1
Alleybux
Halloween is my Christmas so I'm super excited ...amidst my annual Halloween haunted house tours, scary movie marathons, etc I need to get my October TBR list together. Do you have any horror books by Black authors that you loved?

I already plan on reading my first Brandon Massey novel but who else is out there that I"m sleeping AA wise. (Stephen King is my all time fave horror author and Anne Rice).

I don't know but hopefully someone will tell us. I normally try to find anthologies of writings by black folk in order to find new authors.

DatChik

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Reactions
94 12 1
Alleybux

Another one on my TBR

51heNmr3WqL.jpg

They say Philadelphia is the city of brotherly love. For twins Joey and Michael Harris that is very true. They have love for each other. But no love for anybody else. Especially their father and anyone who works in the law profession. Being molested at a young age by their father. The twins de-cide it's time as adults for a little payback. They set their sites on Cops, Judges, Law-yer's and anybody in that profession. Their goal is to smoke out their dad and make him pay for his sins. Gerald Harris is a detective in the homicide division. He along with his partner Detective Doris Hines are assigned to find out who has been killing all these offi-cials over the past year. Gerald has no idea that he is chasing his sons who left home at the age of 13. Gerald has secrets nobody in the department is aware of. If word of his se-crets got out, it would be the end of his ca-reer. With pressure from his boss and the Mayor. The hunt is on to find the killers who he doesn't realize are his own sons. Will his secrets be exposed? Will the brothers get some revenge? Will Karma have the last word? Join the bloody manhunt for two of the sickest serial killers in Philly's history. Seeds Of The Devil is a book that will leave you with your mouth hanging open. Nobody is safe. All bets are off. The devil is here. RUN!!!
After reading the synopsis of the two books on your TBR list I think these might interest you. This Stormy Reddick also writes romance/fantasy under the name Sunshine Taylor Reddick.
View attachment 494367
Screenshot 2018-09-27 at 8.20.10 PM.png
View attachment 494367 View attachment 494367

StylishCurvyGirl

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
19,468 223 18
Alleybux

DatChik

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Reactions
94 12 1
Alleybux
Sorry. I evidently deleted my whole post when I was trying to edit it. Here are those books again.
Screenshot 2018-09-27 at 8.18.24 PM.png

LadyHendrix

You're on Ignore
Reaction score
Reactions
25,129 673 341
Alleybux
Thanks for this thread, OP. Halloween is my favorite holiday and I throw a party every year.

I don't know any AA horror authors, though :(

Dj_Henndawg

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
23,120 566 142
Alleybux
The house of dies drier. It’s not scary per say , more spooky mystery type. I read it as a kid and I’ve always liked it. The author is an African American woman. They have a movie too.. I believe Tichina Arnold played in it (as a child)

StylishCurvyGirl

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
19,468 223 18
Alleybux
51fDwVveBtL.jpg

Monica Stephens never knew her birth mother. Raised by a strict but loving adoptive parent, she blossomed into a woman with a thriving career as a pediatrician and a family of her own. But sometimes, she wondered about her origins. Especially her biological mother.

Until Grace arrives.

Confessing to be the birth mother Monica had long wanted to meet, Grace quickly becomes an indispensable member of the Stephens household. Cooking their meals. Looking after the children. Comforting Monica when the family dog is inexplicably killed. Tending to Monica as she falls ill to a mysterious sickness that, every day, makes Monica look and feel older.

Meanwhile, Grace is looking better. More vibrant. More youthful. More seductive . . .

Monica's husband, Troy, knows something is up. He launches an investigation into the woman who demands to be called "Nana," and has taken over his home.

But the truth is beyond their wildest imaginings.

It seems Grace has done this before . . .

MsDeanLady

Go build something, bruh! Get lost at sea, bruh!
Reaction score
Reactions
161,273 3,796 1,011
Alleybux
THIS WAS GOOD!

51fDwVveBtL.jpg

Monica Stephens never knew her birth mother. Raised by a strict but loving adoptive parent, she blossomed into a woman with a thriving career as a pediatrician and a family of her own. But sometimes, she wondered about her origins. Especially her biological mother.

Until Grace arrives.

Confessing to be the birth mother Monica had long wanted to meet, Grace quickly becomes an indispensable member of the Stephens household. Cooking their meals. Looking after the children. Comforting Monica when the family dog is inexplicably killed. Tending to Monica as she falls ill to a mysterious sickness that, every day, makes Monica look and feel older.

Meanwhile, Grace is looking better. More vibrant. More youthful. More seductive . . .

Monica's husband, Troy, knows something is up. He launches an investigation into the woman who demands to be called "Nana," and has taken over his home.

But the truth is beyond their wildest imaginings.

It seems Grace has done this before . . .

Troy Johnson

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
342 47 27
Alleybux

Yoshi3329

Sweet as banana | Thank You Jesus 4 Saving My Soul
Reaction score
Reactions
135,210 10,890 10,833
Alleybux
Have you looked at Tananarive Due and Chesya Burke? They both do horror fiction.

NSP30

Charmingly Bland
Reaction score
Reactions
157,233 1,469 1,101
Alleybux
This is the one:

51WqnZiTf7L._SY346_.jpg

From award-winning author Brandon Massey comes a terrifying new novel about a town besieged by evil . . . and the one man who is determined to fight the darkness . . .

When renowned author Richard Hunter dies in a boating accident, his son David travels to Mason's Corner, Mississippi, to find out more about the father he never really knew. At first, Mason's Corner seems friendly and unassuming-–the perfect small town. But after a newcomer moves into the old-–and supposedly haunted-–mansion on the hill, everything changes . . .

People begin to disappear. Dogs viciously attack. And soon David discovers that the terror consuming this place has its roots in his own family tree . . .

For something has risen in Mason's Corner. Something with bloody ties to the town's past. Something undead--and hungering for vengeance
I loved this book. Did you read it? I was wondering how you liked it.

NSP30

Charmingly Bland
Reaction score
Reactions
157,233 1,469 1,101
Alleybux
Yeah I just finished this a few days ago.

I'd actually like to see this on screen. It wasn't his best work (I feel like Nana lacked character development) but it definitely kept my intrigued
What was his best work to you?

NSP30

Charmingly Bland
Reaction score
Reactions
157,233 1,469 1,101
Alleybux
I loved Within The Shadows, i've read that about 3 times.

A close second would be, In The Dark
Okay I have been debating what book of his I would like to read next. I will put Within the Shadows at the top. Dark Corner is one I really love.

zhane123

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
10,169 424 30
Alleybux
Okay I have been debating what book of his I would like to read next. I will put Within the Shadows at the top. Dark Corner is one I really love.

Yeah, try Within The Shadows and get back to me :D

I'm glad i've found another Brandon fan!!