Quantcast

The Supremes' Mary Wilson has passed away at 76

Legendary

this my muhf--king natural...
Reaction score
Reactions
376,451 1,063 209
Alleybux
Mary had to marry well. Her actual solo career went no where. The Supremes was all Mary ever had.

I agree Diana needed a group set up at first but that doesn’t change the fact that she was the magic that made it work.
Mary didnt HAVE to (marry or stay in the industry) because she was smart enough to get her college degree. She would've been just fine with or without those two other factors. If she did nothing else after the group officially disbanded in the 70s, her being a member of the legendary Supremes was enough for her to matter and be noticed by many. It wasnt all sweet dealing with the wolves at Motown one even being a childhood 'friend' so if she wanted to speak on her experiences later than that was her right.

Sure, it gave her some purpose BUT it was a bigger benefit for The Group relevance and lowkey Diana herself after the 80s.

Last edited:

SaintTi

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
19,319 1,549 1,232
Alleybux
Mary didnt HAVE to (marry or stay in the industry) because she was smart enough to get her college degree. She would've been just fine with or without those two other factors. If she did nothing else after the group officially disbanded in the 70s, her being a member of the legendary Supremes was enough for her to matter and be noticed by many. It wasnt all sweet dealing with the wolves at Motown one even being a childhood 'friend's so if she wanted to speak on her experiences later than that was her right...it still gave The Group relevance and lowkey Diana herself after the 80s.

Who are you kidding? Mary Wilson knew the only real way she was going to make a living and stay in the lifestyle she was accustomed to was to rant and rave about Diana and the group to anyone with a check book. Mary had 40 years to make a name for herself completely separate from Diana or the group yet she didn’t because she couldn’t. There was never any public interest in her voice or her life outside of Diana Ross.

Legendary

Reaction score
Reactions
376,451 1,063 209
Alleybux
Who are you kidding? Mary Wilson knew the only real way she was going to make a living and stay in the lifestyle she was accustomed to was to rant and rave about Diana and the group to anyone with a check book. Mary had 40 years to make a name for herself completely separate from Diana or the group yet she didn’t because she couldn’t. There was never any public interest in her voice or her life outside of Diana Ross.
LIFESTYLE lol?!!!! Most of the Motown artists weren't living high on the hog anyway including Diana until she left Motown and of course married well herself...and she was one of its biggest stars and did whatever to get favor with several men in the company. So, Mary continuing on wasn't rocking the boat one way or another and it damn sure wasn't making Mary rich. Like it or not she was there as an original member of the Supremes and for that she earned the right to later tell her experiences good and bad. She also found joy in preserving their legacy as a GROUP and without that group I don't think you have Diana Ross so I don't see the harm. We will just agree to disagree on it Saint lol.

Last edited:

Darkmelodies

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
8,675 701 569
Alleybux
Well im a supreme fan and i live mady and diana equally. Im only 28 tho im not old enough to have been there. But my granfma said back in the day no one liked Diana and she was the media motowon starlet but it was berry doing and she was shoved down peoples throat but they honestly preferred the other girls particulary flo back in the day.

Even tho i listen to Diana and all her old music i do cringe knowing shes a mean person and im stanning her but hey gotga do what you gotta do

maxrules1

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
45,486 2,239 2,624
Alleybux
Diana was a survivor. Period. She was determined to not be poor or a casualty of the Motown bµllsh!t that she witnessed firsthand and she did WHATEVER and WHOEVER to live lavishly and build an empire. Mission accomplished!! She has a net worth of 250 million! Don’t hate the player, hate the game! Checkmate!

Legendary

Reaction score
Reactions
376,451 1,063 209
Alleybux
Well im a supreme fan and i live mady and diana equally. Im only 28 tho im not old enough to have been there. But my granfma said back in the day no one liked Diana and she was the media motowon starlet but it was berry doing and she was shoved down peoples throat but they honestly preferred the other girls particulary flo back in the day.

Even tho i listen to Diana and all her old music i do cringe knowing shes a mean person and im stanning her but hey gotga do what you gotta do
Right. Also, just like with all groups you have a focal point and that person or people tend to get the MOST attention BUT that doesn't mean the others go unnoticed. I don't like the notion that just because a group breaks up and the lead actually finds success people are supposed to forget Mary, Flo and Cindy ever existed. They were a group and all 3 played a part in their success no matter how big or small and yes Mary and Flo had fans too (just not as many as Diana). However, THAT GROUP mattered to so many Black women of their day and it didn't need to die just because Diana left. I'm so proud of Mary for keeping their legacy alive. Mary too is a survivor and was a beautiful lady. Diana went on to have a great solo career but she has or will have to answer for the things she's done to get where she was/is. Not everybody respects her hustle.

Star Jones

In your argument ... poking holes!
Reaction score
Reactions
80,565 2,281 1,811
Alleybux
Mary Wilson didn't even like the songs that they gave to them to become THE SUPREMES. If it had been up to her, they wouldn't have been singing Baby Love or a few of the other early hits.

I can't recall Diana's feelings about them one way or the other, but I do know that she went in that studio and sang (for her :sidefrown ) her butt off, and when they got on those stages gave you a show each and every time.

THAT'S the difference between Diana being the lead singer versus one of the "more preferred" girls of Mary and Flo. :arrogant

You can have the greatest voice in the world, but if you are turning down all the right songs, you'll be like Patti LaBelle with a segment in her concert of all the hits she turned down, because she couldn't hear a hit when presented with one.

Legendary

Reaction score
Reactions
376,451 1,063 209
Alleybux
Mary Wilson didn't even like the songs that they gave to them to become THE SUPREMES. If it had been up to her, they wouldn't have been singing Baby Love or a few of the other early hits.

I can't recall Diana's feelings about them one way or the other, but I do know that she went in that studio and sang (for her :sidefrown ) her butt off, and when they got on those stages gave you a show each and every time.

THAT'S the difference between Diana being the lead singer versus one of the "more preferred" girls of Mary and Flo. :arrogant

You can have the greatest voice in the world, but if you are turning down all the right songs, you'll be like Patti LaBelle with a segment in her concert of all the hits she turned down, because she couldn't hear a hit when presented with one.
Brian Holland said Diana gave them sh!t about a few of their records too. NONE of them liked Where Did I Love Go and that was their 1st big hit. Mary was more of a crier while Diana was definitely more vocal about almost everything and was a bit of tyrant. Had it not been for Berry and a couple of other men in the company who Diana got next to she would've likely been axed at any other company. She wasn't just a trip after fame by most accounts....just saying. They flopped for YEARS.

ForumsStaySpilling

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
155,510 3,305 944
Alleybux

All three of the women didn't like "Where Did Our Love Go", and Diana sung it with an attitude because she was pissed. They wanted something upbeat like "Too Many Fish In The Sea".

I know she complained about "No Matter What Sign You Are", and "I'm Livin In Shame" because she claimed they were crap. Her voice wasn't on those because she hated them, and apparently told Motown she was going on vacation when they wanted her to record "Love Child".

Star Jones

Reaction score
Reactions
80,565 2,281 1,811
Alleybux
Brian Holland said Diana gave them sh!t about a few of their records too. NONE of them liked Where Did I Love Go and that was their 1st big hit. Diana was definitely more vocal about everything and had it not been for Berry and a couple of other men in the company who she got next to she would've been axed at any other company.
But, she still sucked it up and got it done, we have no real idea if Mary could've pulled that off. As the other font said, Mary had plenty of time to show that she was more than just another Supreme, she chose to stand behind yet another lead singer.

May she rest in peace, but she made her career choices just like Diana, and a lot of her choices were riding on coattails.

Legendary

Reaction score
Reactions
376,451 1,063 209
Alleybux
All three of the women didn't like "Where Did Our Love Go", and Diana sung it with an attitude because she was pissed. They wanted something upbeat like "Too Many Fish In The Sea".

I know she complained about "No Matter What Sign You Are", and "I'm Livin In Shame" because she claimed they were crap. Her voice wasn't on those because she hated them, and apparently told Motown she was going on vacation when they wanted her to record "Love Child".
'No Matter What Sign' and 'I'm Living In Shame' are so underrated!!!!

SaintTi

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
19,319 1,549 1,232
Alleybux
It’s so weird how everybody keeps trying to bash Diana for sleeping around when Mary was just as whorish!

Star Jones

Reaction score
Reactions
80,565 2,281 1,811
Alleybux
All three of the women didn't like "Where Did Our Love Go", and Diana sung it with an attitude because she was pissed.
Even in anger, she made the correct choice in how to proceed! :giggle

I agree with her about every song in the second paragraph. I can't stand any of them. But, my point stands, she went in there and worked to make the best of the situation.

I don't fancy Diana an innocent, but this insistence on making her only talent something that centered around lying on her back, is just infuriating to me, especially when it's black folks doing the most chirping.

But, I should probably dip back out of this thread.

Legendary

Reaction score
Reactions
376,451 1,063 209
Alleybux
It’s so weird how everybody keeps trying to bash Diana for sleeping around when Mary was just as whorish!
I guess however NONE of Mary's relationships ever interfered with THAT GROUP or the other women aka 'friends' and that's the difference. Plus, Diana was messing with women's husbands who she saw on the regular WITHIN her own company. That's some extra sh!t IMHO. You can't do all these things and think they don't come back to bite. Not bashing but since it's being dragged out...there's a difference in how one gets down. Flo and Mary stopped many of Diana's would-be ass whippings. They served more of a purpose than they get credit for lol. For all the things Mary said about Diana, Berry, Smokey best believe there's even more she didn't say about them!!! Again, I'm a fan of THE GROUP, love them and because of the group I like Diana.

Last edited:

SaintTi

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
19,319 1,549 1,232
Alleybux
I guess however NONE of Mary's relationships ever interfered with THAT GROUP or the other women aka 'friends' and that's the difference.

Well leave the conversation at Diana and Berry’s relationship instead of slut shaming Diana when we all know Mary opened her legs to any men who looked at her with money. Married or single.

Star Jones

Reaction score
Reactions
80,565 2,281 1,811
Alleybux
Mary was more of a crier while Diana was definitely more vocal about almost everything and was a bit of tyrant. Had it not been for Berry and a couple of other men in the company who Diana got next to she would've likely been axed at any other company.
And, for what we know about the music industry in general, but Motown specifically, crying wouldn't have done much of anything, so once again, without Diana ...

Legendary

Reaction score
Reactions
376,451 1,063 209
Alleybux
Well leave the conversation at Diana and Berry’s relationship instead of slut shaming Diana when we all know Mary opened her legs to any men who looked at her with money. Married or single.
It's definitely a difference! Plus, Smokey and Brian were also factors in their career and the preferential treatment and they too had dealings/relations with Diana. AGAIN, I'm not slut shamming anyone but not all is equal. I guess I should be mad Mary didn't go hide under a rock because Diana left the group?! Sorry but I'm not mad at her dear. Mary was an icon in her own right via The Supremes and member of The RnR Hall of Fame the same as Diana...none of them will get in as solo artists. You have Whitney in your avi so I'm gonna leave the topic where it is because that is the only thing we have in common.

SaintTi

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
19,319 1,549 1,232
Alleybux
It's definitely a difference! Plus, Smokey and Brian were also factors in their career and the preferential treatment and they too had dealings/relations with Diana. AGAIN, I'm not slut shamming anyone but not all is equal. I guess I should be mad Mary didn't go hide under a rock because Diana left the group?! Sorry but I'm not mad at her dear. Mary was an icon in her own right via The Supremes and member of The RnR Hall of Fame the same as Diana...none of them will get in as solo artists. You have Whitney in your avi so I'm gonna leave the topic where it is because that is the only thing we have in common.

Diana’s relationships benefited the group more than hurt the group. Let’s get that straight from jump street. Mary was just whoring around just to be whoring around. So you’re right they aren’t equal.

Never said Mary should’ve went and hid under a rock. I just think she should’ve found her own way in the world instead of relying on thinly veiled hate pieces towards Diana and rehashing stories from their teens and early 20s then begging Diana to do reunion tour.

ForumsStaySpilling

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
155,510 3,305 944
Alleybux
Diana’s relationships benefited the group more than hurt the group. Let’s get that straight from jump street. Mary was just whoring around just to be whoring around. So you’re right they aren’t equal.

Never said Mary should’ve went and hid under a rock. I just think she should’ve found her own way in the world instead of relying on thinly veiled hate pieces towards Diana and rehashing stories from their teens and early 20s then begging Diana to do reunion tour.
She should have toured with the 70s Supremes in the decades after they broke up. They were a part of the group, and she most likely hired them in the first place.

Jean advised that they should have left Motown and changed their names, but she rejected it, and it caused them to bicker.

Legendary

Reaction score
Reactions
376,451 1,063 209
Alleybux

If Diana had it all that going on why sleep around in the 1st place?! Her main relationship [Berry] helped to cause division in the group PERIOD! Success isn't everything especially if you have to f*ck for it or in Mary's case be treated like sh*t. I think you are mad that Mary didn't just go hide under a rock lol and FORGET all the hurtful things that happened to her. She didn't want that all to be for nothing and she spent most of her life celebrating THE SUPREMES & more power to her. Diana's shotty reputation is all of her own. That SHAM and flop of a tour you speak of is the MAIN point of this all: You can't just pick ANY women to work with Diana and have the same magic! Diana sadly at her big old age showed the world the very petty and mean spirited nature people like Mary spoke of. Meanwhile, the public wanted to see THE main group (MARY and Flo's replacement)....the world fell in love with all THREE not just Diana. When you do clownery it sometimes does come back to bite no matter how BIG you get. Peace!

Last edited:

SaintTi

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
19,319 1,549 1,232
Alleybux
If Diana had it all that going on why sleep around in the 1st place?! Her main relationship [Berry] helped to cause division in the group PERIOD! I think you are mad that Mary didn't just go hide under a rock and FORGET all the hurtful things that happened to her. Success isn't everything especially if you have to f*ck for it or in Mary's case being treat like sh*t. Diana's shotty reputation is all of her own. That SHAM and flop of a tour you speak of is the MAIN point of this all: You can't just pick ANY women to work with Diana and have the same magic! PEOPLE wanted to see THE main group (MARY and Flo's replacement)....the world fell in love with all THREE not just Diana. Peace!

Nobody is mad. I just see it from a completely different angle than you do.

The girls inability to communicate is what caused the division between them. Diana’s relationship with Berry is what made them the main focus on the label. They wouldn’t have had the songs, budgets, or the iconic moments they became known for. It’s been established that on a base level they weren’t the most talented girls at the time. That relationship gave them a one up on the competition.

I happen to love Diana’s cut throat rep! Who wants to stan for a weak woman? Lol

SaintTi

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
19,319 1,549 1,232
Alleybux
She should have toured with the 70s Supremes in the decades after they broke up. They were a part of the group, and she most likely hired them in the first place.

Jean advised that they should have left Motown and changed their names, but she rejected it, and it caused them to bicker.

Absolutely! Acting is something I think Mary might’ve should’ve focused on in the 80s and 90s instead of the “I hate Diana Ross. Please buy my book” tour.

Bluekush21

Hebrew Israelite
Reaction score
Reactions
54,671 2,745 628
Alleybux
If Diana had it all that going on why sleep around in the 1st place?! Her main relationship [Berry] helped to cause division in the group PERIOD! Success isn't everything especially if you have to f*ck for it or in Mary's case be treated like sh*t. I think you are mad that Mary didn't just go hide under a rock lol and FORGET all the hurtful things that happened to her. She didn't want that all to be for nothing and she spent most of her life celebrating THE SUPREMES & more power to her. Diana's shotty reputation is all of her own. That SHAM and flop of a tour you speak of is the MAIN point of this all: You can't just pick ANY women to work with Diana and have the same magic! Diana sadly at her big old age showed the world the very petty and mean spirited nature people like Mary spoke of. Meanwhile, the public wanted to see THE main group (MARY and Flo's replacement)....the world fell in love with all THREE not just Diana. When you do clownery it sometimes does come back to bite no matter how BIG you get. Peace!
case-closed-pikachu.gif

Pressley

Consciousness Over Cookies
Reaction score
Reactions
482,523 14,137 13,201
Alleybux
Mary had to marry well. Her actual solo career went no where. The Supremes was all Mary ever had.

I agree Diana needed a group set up at first but that doesn’t change the fact that she was the magic that made it work.
How dare you diminish one of our legends. You sound ridiculous. Who are you to say what someone does or doesn't have?? And if that's "all" she had, it's pretty fabulous. Have you made millions singing????? I haven't.
Diana wasn't attractive and didn't sing that well. Believing she was all that helped her out because she surely was not. I said what I said.

SaintTi

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
19,319 1,549 1,232
Alleybux
How dare you diminish one of our legends. You sound ridiculous. Who are you to say what someone does or doesn't have?? And if that's "all" she had, it's pretty fabulous. Have you made millions singing????? I haven't.
Diana wasn't attractive and didn't sing that well. Believing she was all that helped her out because she surely was not. I said what I said.

Is it diminishing a legend or just speaking facts? Last I checked Mary’s music flopped, the solo concerts Mary did were critical and financial failures. Nothing Mary did in entertainment outside of The Supremes worked. Just because she is a “legend” doesn’t mean I have to rewrite history and act like Mary was more than she was.

Never said Diana was the most beautiful or most talented. Diana was unique and that is what gave the group something that made them standout.