Quantcast

There's A Lot of Confusion about What a "Divestor" Really Is.

billetdoux

Pro BW and Girls
Reaction score
Reactions
1,394 10 12
Alleybux
If you're not interested in being a divestor, then this thread is not for you.

I have noticed a lot of confusion on social media concerning divestors. Whether it be on Twitter, Instagram, TikTok, YouTube, or LSA, the real definition of a divestor is being twisted around.

Most "divestors" think divesting is about men, when it's really not. It's about YOU. Centering YOURSELF, improving who YOU are, and protecting YOUR peace of mind.

It's not about whether or not you want to date black men, white men, Asian men, etc. BEING A DIVESTOR HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH MEN!

These things can be a magnet for attracting the right men/man for you, but overall that's not what it's about.

This is what being a divestor is really about:
  • Healing from trauma and uncovering those deep buried internal wounds that you have never recovered from (black women really need to go therapy. It doesn't matter if you think it's bougie or costs too much, you NEED to heal)
  • If you don't want to do therapy, do shadow work for a certain amount of days (you pick) so that you can uncover what you're hiding from yourself and others. Watch YouTube videos on doing this
  • Recognizing the toxicity within the black community and how stereotypes are being supported by other black women and how you can pull your support from that (Y'all are not ready for that conversation)
  • Cutting off toxic relationships with anyone that you know (It's so important to protect your peace and your mental health, so cut them off!)
  • Cleansing your spirit by meditating and/or praying, using crystals to help you navigate spirituality
  • Taking care of you internal organs by eating healthy
  • Pulling your support (your money, your energy, and your time) from people, businesses who do not support you as a black woman
  • Really taking the time to know yourself, inside and out. Knowing what you like and don't like, knowing your boundaries/limits when it comes to dating, friendships, etc.
  • Being self-accepting once you realize that you cannot change your past decisions and that you can only move forward from where you're at right now
  • Taking care of your physical health, by exercising in whatever way that you want to (this is not me being fat-phobic, your health is your wealth!), eating the right foods to give your skin a glow-y look and so you can preserve your youth, getting enough sleep at night (8 to 10 hours) so that you don't wake up feeling groggy, investing in your oral and personal hygiene (because those are the first things people notice about you)
  • Elevating your socioeconomic status by networking with high class people and increasing your value/net-worth (this may not be for everyone so do this at your own discretion)
  • Learning how to stop fighting EVERYONE'S battles because that energy is hardly ever reciprocated (especially for black women who are constantly being SJWs) BURN THE CAPE AND STOP MULING!
  • Not accepting anything less than corrective representation for black women because we deserve nothing but the very best.
If you think I left anything out, feel free to add something to it.

Last edited:

CokeChanel

BK born. Trini raised.
Reaction score
Reactions
328,658 11,679 2,889
Alleybux
It’s good to know that I’ve been divesting for years then since I agree with this entirely and support it 100%.

It’s crazy how some black women don’t put themselves and themselves only at the front of the line in life. I mean if you don’t, then who will baby girl?

billetdoux

Pro BW and Girls
Reaction score
Reactions
1,394 10 12
Alleybux
It’s good to know that I’ve been divesting for years then since I agree with this entirely and support it 100%.

It’s crazy how some black women don’t put themselves and themselves only at the front of the line in life. I mean if you don’t, then who will baby girl?

We've grown so accustomed with people putting us on the back burner, that we're doing it to ourselves. We need to change the game...and fast.

Rayven Lashea

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
28,246 297 79
Alleybux
People know its not about interracial dating. They are just mad black women are not muling in droves anymore. Ladies put yourself and happiness first.

EVIL STEPMUM

I want to shag Marc Rebillet.
Reaction score
Reactions
268,738 6,408 1,416
Alleybux
As much as I hate to see people misusing the term, I hate to see women who aren't divested, calling themselves divestors. And that's all I'm going to say about that.

Addicted 2Diamonds

I just want my money....
Reaction score
Reactions
165,251 6,548 2,482
Alleybux
Agreed OP. My first understanding of divestment was SELF CARE/SELF PRIORITIZE and then somewhere down the line on LSA it became misconstrued with interracial dating.

GoldenAyo

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
19,431 192 50
Alleybux
I agree there is a lot of confusion and I am one of the confused. I definitely thought it surrounded relationships, because most of the conversations seemed to lean that way. "Divesting" was always used in a serious (or joking) manner to discuss BW dating out.

Alot of the points seem to do with personal growth and being your best self, I love that for us. I hope this continues to grow and more black women are taught/raised to focus on being their truest self!

Cocoa Bunny

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
84,754 5,399 4,461
Alleybux
Ok. After years of going through a lot of struggles with family members who didn't understand my desire for the best, or thinking I thought I was better which is laughable or lying on me or making me into a villain or getting caught up in race politics that ultimately did not benefit me at all I think I'm finally ready to say that I am divested lol and I say this as a phenotypically bw married to what I would call an mgm man who identifies as black.

Prettyeyes212

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
159,401 3,912 2,264
Alleybux
A font explained this to me a few weeks as well

the big issues is that divestors got mixed in or confused with die hard swirlers

women putting themselves first and just being happy? Sounds like a good deal to me.

musiclover55

Anime Bae
Reaction score
Reactions
77,889 2,041 1,471
Alleybux
They aren’t confused. Anything that puts black women first will be seen as negative which is why people try so hard to equate “divesting” to “swirling” (since black women talking about dating out is still a sin).

SimplyLovelyXO

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
13,788 192 87
Alleybux
Well using your definition then OP, apparently I've been "divested" for a long time. I never felt a need to say that I am this or that because the moves that I make in my personal life are not open to discussion by anyone not in my circle. I don't ask for permission or announce my end goals. I just invest in my own selfcare and do whatever is personally and professionally beneficial for me.

Talk of divestment seems to be growing on twitter where most people see divesters as disgruntled swirlers because they center their arguments around men or in reaction to men. That's where the confusion lies. Divesters need to outline their principles like you did and make sure those who are the biggest proponents of it are on code with them.

ETA: edited for spelling

Last edited:

Letscook11

Me So Corny
Reaction score
Reactions
54,193 1,992 632
Alleybux
I'm a little older than a lot of y'all (hence my signature) and I was basically divested before it was a "thing".

Talk of divestment seems to be growing on twitter where most people see divesters as disgruntled swirlers because they center their arguments around men or in reaction to men.

Thank you, a lot of so called "divestors" are obviously not divested from a damn thing and you can tell they are still centering their existence on men. There are also "swirl hustlers" out there just trying to make youtube adsense money or sell you courses on things you can learn for cheap or free. That wasn't what "divestment" was ever supposed to be about.

Goonica

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
395,610 11,727 12,060
Alleybux
Lets not act like the divestment movement hasn't been hijacked by self haters who put non black males on a pedestal, especially on LSA. There have been several fonts who are apart of the divestment that OP mentioned that have called the self haters out for hijacking the movement and turning it into something negative and nasty.

Rich Homie Tron

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
5,699 554 1,670
Alleybux
I think part of the confusion comes from the fact that the terms “divest” and “divestment” literally mean something completely different

BigMayBelle

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
145,363 4,999 3,322
Alleybux
People always find something to bastardize when it comes to positive attributes of black women and unfortunately most people run with the other narrative because the community allows the most violent and abusive to be loud. Which is exactly what divesting black women talk about.
The thread about Naomi king was proof.

People know its not about interracial dating. They are just mad black women are not muling in droves anymore. Ladies put yourself and happiness first.

puttininpain

823 and I'm sanctioned
Reaction score
Reactions
12,141 1,631 3,597
Alleybux
I think part of the confusion comes from the fact that the terms “divest” and “divestment” literally mean something completely different
You know the girls are too dumb to pick the right words or perhaps they did pick the right word and OP is one of those people that wants to act like everyone doesn't know what divestors are.

mswinner

when the doves cry
Reaction score
Reactions
22,796 486 59
Alleybux
I agree 100x. People misunderstand divestment a lot especially on CH.

Rexo

“ʏᴏᴜ ʟᴀᴄᴋ ᴄᴏɴᴠɪᴄᴛɪᴏɴ”──✮⋆˙♛
Reaction score
Reactions
231,426 3,935 964
Alleybux
Lets not act like the divestment movement hasn't been hijacked by self haters who put non black males on a pedestal, especially on LSA. There have been several fonts who are apart of the divestment that OP mentioned that have called the self haters out for hijacking the movement and turning it into something negative and nasty.

Yes, I’ve said this a lot of times around here. Many of them hide behind divestment and it only makes it hard on the actual divestors who stand true to what they believe in. The self-haters are basically ruining the divest movement.

Honestly, it’s easy to spot out the self-haters, there’s a few of them on LSA.

(Please note: I am not and will never be against any black women who genuinely finds love outside their race. I encourage black women to go where they are appreciated and I am all for black women not looking back on some of the dysfunction that happens in the black community.)

My quarrel is with the ones that say the most vile sh!t and truly do not love their blackness and hide behind divestors to spew their anti-black rhetoric.

YouTube comments is where you see that sh!t play out.

They bash black men and in the same sentence praise white men. They tell other black women to abort and/or adopt their black sons. Whenever they say such things I get so furious. Then they start having the same talking points as the dusty black men they claim they “divested from” . Those are the ones I cannot stand!

bigheadgirl

You WISH I was your Auntie lol
Reaction score
Reactions
9,191 577 343
Alleybux
I liked the OP. But for ME it simply means cutting the bu!!sh!t out of ones life. All these new Black movements need mission statements and clearly defined motives. I can't just jump on every Black bandwagon that passes by. Not with these knees...

Nitpickr

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
69,917 2,358 2,101
Alleybux
It’s like how MGTOW has people actually going their own way vs the people under the guise of it who haven’t found the direction

pinkflower89

Some of you don't read and it shows.
Reaction score
Reactions
34,776 761 292
Alleybux

Not just LSA, yet other forums as well. There are some very self hating and white identified individuals using the term divestment to push their toxic views. I think the confusion comes from those types being way too "loud" when they could very well be the minority. Like all movements.

bobbydadon

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
15,214 775 582
Alleybux
so your saying instead of swirling its basically mgtow for black women? the way it’s actually used online doesn’t seem that way

pinkkryptonite

Bonnets 'r Us
Reaction score
Reactions
149,228 5,006 464
Alleybux
I've been divested my entire adult life. It's a lifestyle and it really does attract good energy.

Anyone who centers it around dating, especially interracial dating of all things ain't really about that life.

Fluxion

Male font in a woman's world.
Reaction score
Reactions
18,450 2,223 2,612
Alleybux
I thought divesting meant black women leaving the black community or black men. That's how a lot of fonts were using the term divestment.

delreyes

Black Elle Woods
Reaction score
Reactions
29,721 259 55
Alleybux
They aren’t confused. Anything that puts black women first will be seen as negative which is why people try so hard to equate “divesting” to “swirling” (since black women talking about dating out is still a sin).

Very much this. It’s so transparent at this point. Crazy how they demonize BW who chose interracial dating but we have to accept BM who do so... it’s funny

HayleySmith

HayleyDFischer
Reaction score
Reactions
22,363 1,305 2,290
Alleybux
Lol. What?
Divestment mean all of that? ok... I didn’t know that we can now make sh!t up as we go.

Divestment doesn’t mean any of that and you know it. ThT term was started specifically because of one issue in the black community but now you are trying to completely change the meaning?

The people who started that term knew exactly what they were trying to accomplish and that wasn’t self improvement and healing or glowing up and leveling up as we say nowadays.

This is ridiculous.

bobbydadon

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
15,214 775 582
Alleybux
Lol. What?
Divestment mean all of that? ok... I didn’t know that we can now make sh!t up as we go.

Divestment doesn’t mean any of that and you know it. ThT term was started specifically because of one issue in the black community but now you are trying to completely change the meaning?

The people who started that term knew exactly what they were trying to accomplish and that wasn’t self improvement and healing or glowing up and leveling up as we say nowadays.

This is ridiculous.
exactly she’s just making things up as she goes like she the ceo or creator of it or something

MysteriousMW

Stop being mean to each other ♡
Reaction score
Reactions
93,445 950 265
Alleybux
I always thought it was about black women learning to put themselves first and uplifting themselves then other black women.

jheri

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
86,428 11,972 331
Alleybux
since people disagree on the origin, i'll simply provide earliest mentions/works related to the movement. if they find something earlier they can respond with then ok.

an article claims the author of the book & blog i am reposting birthed the divest movement with her "Sojourner's Passport" 2010 book (she used to have a site with that name)

book summary from 2010
Are you overwhelmed by stress, disappointment, or exhaustion? What if you found out that its possible to have the life you truly want? Would that knowledge change the way you live the rest of your life?You can broaden, not lower, your expectations.You can change self-limiting attitudes and open up new opportunities for happiness.You can become a sojourner.A sojourner is a woman who is free to choose her own path and go wherever her dreams take her. Are you ready to create the life you truly want?The Sojourners Passport shares ideas that have helped thousands of women overcome self-defeating beliefs and self-imposed barriers to personal fulfillment.

excerpt from her blog about pushback from divesting:
Muslim Bushido: April 2015

As I said in an early post at the Sojourner's Passport blog:
Lifestyle optimization requires you to examine ideas from the vantage point of your own particular context and circumstances. This one statement will probably be a recurring theme in the blog posts here. It’s impossible to have an optimal lifestyle when you make critical life decisions based on other people’s circumstances. Listening to other people whose circumstances or interests are out of alignment with yours will throw your life into chaos and ruin. This is the primary reason so many African-American women are living in misery and hardship. They’re programmed to think about other people’s (read: Black men’s, and the already-dead Black community’s) circumstances and interests, instead of their own. Or they’re taking positions that only make sense in the context of nonblack women’s collective life circumstances.....

The true test of what people really think is a good strategy is what they do for THEMSELVES. If somebody is telling you that you must do something other than what they did for themselves, watch out! And examine this person's motives. They probably don't wish you well.

In that post, I blasted a foreign-origin BW blogger who had been making extremely strident comments shrieking that AA women should not--and must not--divest from AA Black residential areas or from non-reciprocating entities such as most AA organizations, Black men who are not protecting and providing for Black women and children, etc.

This woman insisted that AA women must "stay and fight" to improve conditions in the [already dead] Black community. That blogger didn't "stay and fight" to improve conditions in her Black country. Her immediate family didn't "stay and fight" to improve conditions in their Black country. THEY LEFT. And apparently had no intention of ever going back to their Black country. Which is perfectly fine with me. Just don't try to block AA women from seeking out what's best for our own interests.

As I recall, while telling AA women we must "stay and fight" in what is now called Blackistan, that particular blogger was living in Seattle. Which is not exactly a hotbed of deadly violent crime, struggle or strife.

and yes, for some divesting sometimes required leveling up, so i don't think that's a total rewrite. i do think a lot of the content i read focused on divesting from communities/areas rather than specifically just a dating pool
6Yuc7QX.png

Last edited:

Blacmirrors2

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
27,933 1,502 1,294
Alleybux
If you're not interested in being truly divested, then this thread is not for you.

I have noticed a lot of confusion on social media concerning divestment. Whether it be on Twitter, Instagram, TikTok, YouTube, or LSA, the real definition of divestment is being twisted around.

Most "divestors" think divesting is about men, when it's really not. It's about YOU. Centering YOURSELF, improving who YOU are, and protecting YOUR peace of mind.

It's not about whether or not you want to date black men, white men, Asian men, etc. DIVESTMENT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH MEN!

These things can be a magnet for attracting the right men/man for you, but overall that's not what it's about.

This is what divestment is really about:
  • Healing from trauma and uncovering those deep buried internal wounds that you have never recovered from (black women really need to go therapy. It doesn't matter if you think it's bougie or costs too much, you NEED to heal)
  • If you don't want to do therapy, do shadow work for a certain amount of days (you pick) so that you can uncover what you're hiding from yourself and others. Watch YouTube videos on doing this
  • Recognizing the toxicity within the black community and how stereotypes are being supported by other black women and how you can pull your support from that (Y'all are not ready for that conversation)
  • Cutting off toxic relationships with anyone that you know (It's so important to protect your peace and your mental health, so cut them off!)
  • Cleansing your spirit by meditating and/or praying, using crystals to help you navigate spirituality
  • Pulling your support (your money, your energy, and your time) from people, businesses who do not support you as a black woman
  • Really taking the time to know yourself, inside and out. Knowing what you like and don't like, knowing your boundaries/limits when it comes to dating, friendships, etc.
  • Being self-accepting once you realize that you cannot change your past decisions and that you can only move forward from where you're at right now
  • Taking care of your physical health, by exercising in whatever way that you want to (this is not me being fat-phobic, your health is your wealth!), eating the right foods to give your skin a glow-y look and so you can preserve your youth, getting enough sleep at night (8 to 10 hours) so that you don't wake up feeling groggy, investing in your oral and personal hygiene (because those are the first things people notice about you)
  • Elevating your socioeconomic status by networking with high class people (this may not be for everyone so do this at your own discretion)

Everything you say sounds well and good and makes sense for black women, but those that use the phrase divest and divestment are talking about black men 90% of the time. The way you are describing it is not the norm. I haven't read anyone say they are divesting and are now working out and eating better, praying and going to therapy. That being said, I haven't heard even ONE black woman in the offline world use either phrase to describe their life whether they are using it the way you described or talking about men. This is one of those online-only phrases and that definitely means it's toxic.

Blacmirrors2

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
27,933 1,502 1,294
Alleybux

This doesn't make sense. I have always put myself first and I don't even relate to this conversation of
Yes, I’ve said this a lot of times around here. Many of them hide behind divestment and it only makes it hard on the actual divestors who stand true to what they believe in. The self-haters are basically ruining the divest movement.

Honestly, it’s easy to spot out the self-haters, there’s a few of them on LSA.

(Please note: I am not and will never be against any black women who genuinely finds love outside their race. I encourage black women to go where they are appreciated and I am all for black women not looking back on some of the dysfunction that happens in the black community.)

My quarrel is with the ones that say the most vile sh!t and truly do not love their blackness and hide behind divestors to spew their anti-black rhetoric.

YouTube comments is where you see that sh!t play out.

They bash black men and in the same sentence praise white men. They tell other black women to abort and/or adopt their black sons. Whenever they say such things I get so furious. Then they start having the same talking points as the dusty black men they claim they “divested from” . Those are the ones I cannot stand!

The problem is needing to turn divesting into an identity. People just need to live their lives. It's fine to share the positive things you're doing or ask for help, but no need to establish it as an identity group where everyone has to agree on the terms and post about it online.

MellaRueraux

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
59,674 4,384 3,375
Alleybux
If you're not interested in being truly divested, then this thread is not for you.

I have noticed a lot of confusion on social media concerning divestment. Whether it be on Twitter, Instagram, TikTok, YouTube, or LSA, the real definition of divestment is being twisted around.

It's not about whether or not you want to date black men, white men, Asian men, etc. DIVESTMENT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH MEN!

This is what divestment is really about:
  • Elevating your socioeconomic status by networking with high class people (this may not be for everyone so do this at your own discretion)
thank you, OP. appreciate the fact that you took the time out to clear the confusion on what divestment stands for.