Quantcast

those who've been on long haul international flights get in here plz

gunsounds

Retired.
Reaction score
Reactions
42,931 654 214
Alleybux
I have a 16 hour non stop flight coming up next month returning back home to houston and I have never been on a flight that long. when I left, I took connecting flights so the journey was broken up but it was exhausting. the longest I've done is 11 hours and I HATED it every time, it always felt like the journey was never ending. 16 hours just seems extremely egregious but I wanted a non-stop flight as I just dont have the energy to deal with connecting flights plus this flight was the cheapest I could find. do you have any advice? how did you pass time? how did you cope? how was your experience?

AmethystHeart

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
50,610 3,063 4,213
Alleybux
- get a window seat so you can nap
- ear plugs, music, eye mask, neck pillow are musts
- take an antihistamine if you want to sleep on the flight
- hydrate!
- download some movies onto a device and some e books

it goes by fast!

wrenbaker

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
40,742 1,510 325
Alleybux
Compression socks for sure. I had a 13 hour flight and wasn’t hydrated enough and ended up with a really bad case of jet lag. I had no idea it could be that awful. Get up and move if you can during the flight and drink a good amount of water.

BED

Blanche Elizabeth Devereaux
Reaction score
Reactions
7,600 22 5
Alleybux
I’m terrible with 2 hr flights so my 16 hour flight I damn near went crazy...I start getting antsy. Everything I downloaded bored me lol!

Next time I’m just taking something to knock me out. My friends have already said they’re going to slip me something anyways...guess I drove them nearly crazy too lol!

Window seat did help me.
But I suggest something that will help you sleep...cause baby!

gunsounds

Retired.
Reaction score
Reactions
42,931 654 214
Alleybux
I’m terrible with 2 hr flights so my 16 hour flight I damn near went crazy...I start getting antsy. Everything I downloaded bored me lol!

Next time I’m just taking something to knock me out. My friends have already said they’re going to slip me something anyways...guess I drove them nearly crazy too lol!

Window seat did help me.
But I suggest something that will help you sleep...cause baby!

16 hours feels inhumane. 6 hours is long, then when you look at the flight time you'll see you still have 10 hours left .. I feel like that'll drive me crazy .. what's the strongest drug I can take to help with sleep? how did you feel when you finally landed?

gunsounds

Retired.
Reaction score
Reactions
42,931 654 214
Alleybux
- get a window seat so you can nap
- ear plugs, music, eye mask, neck pillow are musts
- take an antihistamine if you want to sleep on the flight
- hydrate!
- download some movies onto a device and some e books

it goes by fast!

you kidding right? Lol.

mystic

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
162,778 4,587 1,437
Alleybux
What time does it leave? I had one that long that left around midnight and I usually stay up Til 2am, so I kept my normal routine. I stayed awake a few hours, slept for about 6 hrs, and by the time I woke up they were serving a meal. I was traveling with a guy so we talked for a while, watched movies, I listened to music for the next few hours and I was good.

misshoneyb

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
38,609 596 57
Alleybux
Compression socks.

Drink water, water, water. Try to avoid alcohol as it dehydrates you faster due to the high altitude/ pressure. 1 glass during dinner service wont kill you.

Get up and walk the aisle.

Bring neutral pajamas (or loose dress/ sweats) and slippers. Anything too tight or restricting will not be comfortable for such a long flight. Slippers to wear for going to the bathroom or aisle walks.

Pack mints/gum, Crest wisps, chapstick, facial wipes, hand cream/ lotion. Wear facial sunscreen especially if sitting by window.

Try to use restroom soon after meal service to avoid going after a lot of other people. Also if you are on an inside seat, you wont need to hop over or wake up your neigbor on the aisle.

I know not everyone can afford it, but if you can upgrade your seat. I prefer business or first for the lie flat seats, which makes for better sleep and room to stretch out. The quality of food and service levels are higher as well.
*if you cant try to get a bulkhead seat so noone sits in front of you and can lean back onto your legs.

Moanna

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
8,028 177 11
Alleybux
  • Bring flushable wipes and an extra change of clothes because 16 hours without a shower does not feel good at all.
  • Most flights provide free movies and TV shows during long flights so you should be OK entertainment wise.
  • Bring some snacks/ a sandwich or something because the gap between meals can sometimes feel like you're waiting forever.
  • Try to get up and walk a little, sitting for too long can cause cramps.

gunsounds

Retired.
Reaction score
Reactions
42,931 654 214
Alleybux
What time does it leave? I had one that long that left around midnight and I usually stay up Til 2am, so I kept my normal routine. I stayed awake a few hours, slept for about 6 hrs, and by the time I woke up they were serving a meal. I was traveling with a guy so we talked for a while, watched movies, I listened to music for the next few hours and I was good.

8am and lands in houston at 4pm. the feeling of being in a tube in the sky for that long makes me antsy because I'm claustrophobic and I'll be alone .. so I have to mentally prepare myself. my flight is early next month

gunsounds

Retired.
Reaction score
Reactions
42,931 654 214
Alleybux
Compression socks.

Drink water, water, water. Try to avoid alcohol as it dehydrates you faster due to the high altitude/ pressure. 1 glass during dinner service wont kill you.

Get up and walk the aisle.

Bring neutral pajamas (or loose dress/ sweats) and slippers. Anything too tight or restricting will not be comfortable for such a long flight. Slippers to wear for going to the bathroom or aisle walks.

Pack mints/gum, Crest wisps, chapstick, facial wipes, hand cream/ lotion. Wear facial sunscreen especially if sitting by window.

Try to use restroom soon after meal service to avoid going after a lot of other people. Also if you are on an inside seat, you wont need to hop over or wake up your neigbor on the aisle.

I know not everyone can afford it, but if you can upgrade your seat. I prefer business or first for the lie flat seats, which makes for better sleep and room to stretch out. The quality of food and service levels are higher as well.
*if you cant try to get a bulkhead seat so noone sits in front of you and can lean back onto your legs.

I was planning on wearing hydrating face sheets, may I ask why the sunscreen? (I mean I use ceravue on my face but I also have the fenty moisturizer with spf in it that I can use).

gunsounds

Retired.
Reaction score
Reactions
42,931 654 214
Alleybux
  • Bring flushable wipes and an extra change of clothes because 16 hours without a shower does not feel good at all.
  • Most flights provide free movies and TV shows during long flights so you should be OK entertainment wise.
  • Bring some snacks/ a sandwich or something because the gap between meals can sometimes feel like you're waiting forever.
  • Try to get up and walk a little, sitting for too long can cause cramps.

should I just wipe myself down with them in the lavatory? a change of clothes and underwear was already the plan as well as a toothbrush, mouthwash etc.

Soverytrendy

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
218 1
Alleybux
I have a 16 hour non stop flight coming up next month returning back home to houston and I have never been on a flight that long. when I left, I took connecting flights so the journey was broken up but it was exhausting. the longest I've done is 11 hours and I HATED it every time, it always felt like the journey was never ending. 16 hours just seems extremely egregious but I wanted a non-stop flight as I just dont have the energy to deal with connecting flights plus this flight was the cheapest I could find. do you have any advice? how did you pass time? how did you cope? how was your experience?

I took a flight from NYC to Dubai with a six month old and my approach was choosing a late flight. Because the flight was late, we ended up sleeping for a solid 8 hours.

If possible, try to fly first class. The extra room is absolutely worth it for flight 10+ hours.

SnazzyWAP

Grogu'in on these hoes
Reaction score
Reactions
12,850 232 17
Alleybux
Not to sound bougie but any flight over 8 hrs I fly business class. Long haul fights are much more tolerable with booze, good food, and a bed.

If you don't have the miles or finances for business class, I recommend compression socks and Benadryl. Slip a good eye mask on, pop ear plugs in, take some Benadryl and sleep until you land.

SeasonTix

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
4,963 108 146
Alleybux
stay hydrated
walk around
elevate your feet

this may sound crazy and gross... play masturbation games it will pass time and put you to sleep without using alcohol

Schowfy

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
94 1
Alleybux
I did a 14 hour train ride recently and I just daydreamed out the window the whole time, it went by in a flash, do you know how to meditate? Download a podcast or take some work to do with you

jinx

casting spells
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
28,905 570 420
Alleybux
Domestic or international line? I hated Delta but Korean Air was WONDERFUL!

Korean Air fed you every hour and gave you bottles of wine! Delta didn't do sh!t bit free movies.

I definitely agree
-water, compression socks and a sleeping pill

Galadrihell

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
739 12 12
Alleybux
What time does your flight leave? I usually stay up the night before if the timing makes sense. A Tylenol PM or antihistamine around takeoff to ensure you get the good sleep.

I can also sleep hard on a plane so that usually does it for me. Download a bunch of podcasts and music to the phone. I use big over the ear headphones that drown out a lot of noise but if you don't want to do that, consider ear plugs. Make sure to get up and walk around every 2-3 hours once you're awake. The entertainment on the plane is pretty good these days. My last 14 hour flight I was asleep for almost half then watched 1.5 seasons of a show I had been meaning to watch. Didn't even pull out my podcasts or e-books so you can see my brain cells are mostly gone.

Bring:
  • a pashmina (I have found this superior to a blanket for plane sleep/warmth and then it's just useful as a scarf)
  • wet wipes (I also usually bring a small bottle of face spray/water to help wake up and freshen up)
  • mints
  • extra underwear in your purse/backpack
  • compression socks if you are worried/big comfy cozy socks if you are not
  • water bottle
  • snacks
  • some type of pillow
  • an external battery and cord for your phone
  • If you have wired headphones, bring them to use with the plane entertainment.

Mariahs Chariot

Not On The Show No Mo’
Reaction score
Reactions
223,941 10,157 3,355
Alleybux
The one thing I can suggest for long flights is buy the first class seat. Trust me on this one.

This! Honestly and truly. Unless it’s a mediocre product being offered. It’s not worth the money if the plane is older or if the seating is domestic first/business style.

gunsounds

Retired.
Reaction score
Reactions
42,931 654 214
Alleybux
Not to sound bougie but any flight over 8 hrs I fly business class. Long haul fights are much more tolerable with booze, good food, and a bed.

If you don't have the miles or finances for business class, I recommend compression socks and Benadryl. Slip a good eye mask on, pop ear plugs in, take some Benadryl and sleep until you land.

I always flew business until I started paying for my own flights lol. I only fly first class domestically or sometimes business if I really feel its necessary which in this case I may have to because this 16 hour flight will be the longest flight ive ever taken

Brother Mouzone

We don’t run from where we come from
Reaction score
Reactions
358,908 10,150 3,000
Alleybux
All great advice above

Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Gatorade and Water starting 48 hours before

If you can take a sleep aid - do that

Have your time planned. Try to rotate what you do.

On my LA to Australia flights

Had to rotations of 8 hours

First rotation: Read for two hours, Movie for Two Sleep for Four Hours.

Walk around the plane a few times

Second rotation: Movie for two hours, Music. Writing for Two Hours, Sleep for Four hours.

Try to get a sense of meal timing and talk to the FA about holding your meal if possible.

SeasonTix

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
4,963 108 146
Alleybux
16 hours feels inhumane. 6 hours is long, then when you look at the flight time you'll see you still have 10 hours left .. I feel like that'll drive me crazy .. what's the strongest drug I can take to help with sleep? how did you feel when you finally landed?

I took a drug before I slept a full day in the hotel

gunsounds

Retired.
Reaction score
Reactions
42,931 654 214
Alleybux
Domestic or international line? I hated Delta but Korean Air was WONDERFUL!

Korean Air fed you every hour and gave you bottles of wine! Delta didn't do sh!t bit free movies.

I definitely agree
-water, compression socks and a sleeping pill

international, qatar. I dont eat airplane food because it gives me the bubble guts. I was going to find something at the airport that seems decent and just buy myself lunch, dinner, snacks and 2 1L large bottles of water

SuburbanHangSuite

Reclaiming my time...
Reaction score
Reactions
26,737 648 80
Alleybux
The most I've done is 14 hours but it left JFK at 7pm and was an overnight flight so I slept for a lot of the trip. And I watched a couple of movies. I think movies and books can get me through almost anything. Good luck!

Reaction score
Reactions
5,543 297 6
Alleybux
Bring wipes/hand sanitizer, an oversized scarf you can use as a blanket.

Dress in layers: leggings, short sleeves, sweater in case the cabin is too hot or cold. Also wear compression socks and shoes that won't be too tight if your feet swell.

Start taking melatonin to adjust to the new time zone and benadryl if needed for sleep.

Take two baby aspirin before takeoff, and one every 6 hours to prevent blood clots.

mystic

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
162,778 4,587 1,437
Alleybux
8am and lands in houston at 4pm. the feeling of being in a tube in the sky for that long makes me antsy because I'm claustrophobic and I'll be alone .. so I have to mentally prepare myself. my flight is early next month

with the time difference, a sleeping pill might be your best bet. Make sure you drink lots of fluids. My joints get achy when I’m on long flights like that and am not properly hydrated. It can make for an uncomfortable flight. Download some
Movies or shows if you can in case you don’t like the selection on the plane. Same for music. Just try not to focus on the time. I know it’s hard but Whenever I do that it makes me antsy and irritated. You’ll be okay though. Safe travels to you!

Mariahs Chariot

Not On The Show No Mo’
Reaction score
Reactions
223,941 10,157 3,355
Alleybux

What airline are you flying OP? Yes, that does make a difference.

I would honestly try and sleep for most of the trip. I’d use wifi/texting for the rest of the trip. Maybe read a book.

Mrs.Giroud

RIP Cheverly 4.17.23
Reaction score
Reactions
111,416 4,132 1,281
Alleybux
I used to do JFK to Sydney 3x a year. A few days prior to that long ass 23hr flight, I take aspirin daily. You can only sleep so much so take something that you can work on.

CoCoD

A woman in process...
Reaction score
Reactions
356,819 8,898 2,082
Alleybux
Great advice!

Noise cancelling headphones: Bose for $300+ or Cowin $60-$120

Compression socks/sleeves (footless kind).

Buy some alcohol mini's from BevMo or pop an edible before your flight.

Movies, movies, and more movies!

Buy some protein (Lorissa's Kitchen is my favorite and its grass fed beef w/o nitrates or nitrites).

Music (I download Isley Bros. for a long flight) or anything jazz.

gunsounds

Retired.
Reaction score
Reactions
42,931 654 214
Alleybux
with the time difference, a sleeping pill might be your best bet. Make sure you drink lots of fluids. My joints get achy when I’m on long flights like that and am not properly hydrated. It can make for an uncomfortable flight. Download some
Movies or shows if you can in case you don’t like the selection on the plane. Same for music. Just try not to focus on the time. I know it’s hard but Whenever I do that it makes me antsy and irritated. You’ll be okay though. Safe travels to you!

okay, I will try. the flight is in 3 weeks so I wanted to start to prepare mentally but all of you have been super helpful. also, thank you so much. I appreciate your well wishes. I will update this post when I get back just to let yall know I survived (even if I'm in shambles by the time it lands lol). I will start doing a lot of hydrating 48 hours prior like another font suggested too.

gunsounds

Retired.
Reaction score
Reactions
42,931 654 214
Alleybux
thank you all so so much for taking the time to advise me and sharing your experiences.

Kikyo

Mrs Seokjin, Stupid People annoy me
Reaction score
Reactions
56,411 431 174
Alleybux
This travel pillow

TP111N.jpg

Sanitizer and tons of it.
Noise-cancelling headphones- freaking loud crotch goblins
Hydrate beforehand and continue to do so with electrolytes
Gum
Deo
Thick lotion and a heavy-duty lip balm
Collapsible water bottle
Water Spritzer with calming agents for your skin
Wet Wipes
Silk Eye masks
Face Masks - you might as well treat your skin
Toothbrush and Toothpaste
Layer your clothing so you can take off and adjust as your cross time zones.
Thermal Socks because your feet get too damn cold
Powerbank
A combo of books, movies, tv shows and puzzles already downloaded on a combo of phones, tablet and laptops.
Make sure you walk around the plane and get movement in.
Fuzzy Comfy Slippers and a bag for them after due to the nasty ass floor
Compression Socks
Little snack packs
Advil
First Aid Kit- with nasal spray
Anti allergy meds

I often travel for work and do long haul flights.
21 Hours the most- Malaysia
18 Hours- Australia
13 Hours- Korea
14 Hours- Qatar

The airline is also key as some have better service than others which makes the misery more bearable.

Righteous27

Doing the Most
Reaction score
Reactions
36,679 362 73
Alleybux
I flew from ATL to Seoul chile when I say I was over it....I was over it. I tried to drug myself up. I wasn't in the main I was one below the delta one suites. Luckily I had the window row to myself and laid out. I didn't sleep well maybe 5 hours but it was broken up. I had two airline pillows, my own blanket, noise cancellations headphones, sleep mask.

If you wear contacts take them out and wear your glasses, eyes dry out. Take something to keep your lips moist as well.

I watched alot of movies and documentaries. A LOT!!!

Way back was better though. Can't explain why. Oh and they kept the wine coming so that helped :)

gigglesbk

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
15,898 253 29
Alleybux
drink lots of water
walk around every couple of hours and stretch
books, movies, podcasts
try to get some sleep (melatonin)

i don't sleep on planes, so i usually listen to podcast and watch like 4 movies lol

milk

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
31,824 892 334
Alleybux
If they offer Wi-Fi services I'd say pay for it. It makes the flight go by a lot faster

CaramelnMotion

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
113,543 1,262 203
Alleybux
Save up and get that first class flight.

Anything over 7 hours, automatic first class seat for me. It's well worth it (y)

If you get a first class seat, get there in enough time to enjoy the lounge if that perk is available for free with purchase of your ticket.

You will get a first class personal care kit, but create one of your own with your favorite care products and snacks. Bring your own pillow, blanket, wipes, etc. for your personal comfort as well.

Get compression socks.

Watching movies/TV, listening to music/podcasts, sleeping, and reading will make the hours go by faster.

To groom and wash up, do it when most have fallen asleep or have yet to wake up.

You don't have to drink only water for the long flight, but try to drink 1 bottle during meal/snack service.

I haven't traveled post-2020 lockdown, so I don't have any useful tips for today's world lol

Safe travels: Get tested (and/or vaccinated if eligible & comfortable); Keep your mask, wipes, and sanitizer close by.