Quantcast

Throwback: Marilyn Monroe getting ready to see the play "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof" in NYC (March 24, 1955)

Music.Box

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
100,939 2,823 160
Alleybux
These shots of Marilyn were taken at the Ambassador Hotel in New York City. Marilyn was photographed preparing to attend the Broadway premiere of Tennessee Williams' "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof" at the Morosco Theater. The play would be awarded the Pulitzer Prize for Drama later in the same year.

The production Marilyn saw, directed by Elia Kazan, starred Burl Ives and Barbara Bel Geddes. Bel Geddes, the daughter of designer Norman Bel Geddes, would later star as Miss Ellie in "Dallas." She was nominated for a Tony Award for her performance in "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof."

In May 1955, two months after the pictures were taken, Marilyn started to see Arthur Miller, the playwright. She had been divorced from second husband Joe DiMaggio for six months. They had been married for less than a year when they divorced.

Monroe's film "The Seven Year Itch" was also released that year, and DiMaggio accompanied her to the premiere on June 1, which was also Marilyn's 29th birthday.

At the end of the premiere, DiMaggio threw a party for his ex-wife, but they argued and she left the party alone.

MM-8.jpg

MM-9.jpg

MM-10.jpg

MM-1.jpg

MM-4.jpg

MM-5.jpg

MM-6.jpg

MM-3.jpg

MM-11.jpg

MM-2.jpg

A N T i

Somewhere...
Reaction score
Reactions
576 14 18
Alleybux
*gets the redundant comments in every Marylin thread out the way*

she wasn't pretty. very overrated, basic looking white woman who was a hoe. Dorothy >>>

Leona Helmsley

Taxes, LOL
Reaction score
Reactions
679 6 1
Alleybux
Wallpaper matching the lampshade, matching the armchair, matching the bedsheets...

Nyon

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
8,399 212 38
Alleybux
Her and Jo should have stayed together. Sigh. Anyway to think right now she would be described as a plus sized full figured woman.

Music.Box

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
100,939 2,823 160
Alleybux
Her and Jo should have stayed together. Sigh. Anyway to think right now she would be described as a plus sized full figured woman.
Plus sized where? Even by today's standard at Marilyn's biggest she didn't look to be more than a size 6/8.

Noir Korea

Down rich !!!!! woman
Reaction score
Reactions
415 8 11
Alleybux

Not at all, she was a size 2 at the most.

facespace

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
69,344 846 308
Alleybux
Plus sized where? Even by today's standard at Marilyn's biggest she didn't look to be more than a size 6/8.

She was actually a 6/8.

Though Marilyn's weight and sizing obviously fluctuated over the course of her career, her standard measurements, according to her dressmaker, were roughly 35-22-35. This accounts for why her pant and dress sizes were often listed as an 8 and 12, respectively—a dress would also need to accommodate her bust, while pants could be sized smaller based on her slimmer hips. She is often cited as having been a size 16—and she was! Kind of. But only based on British vintage sizing (a U.K. size 16 was a rough equivalent to a U.S. size 12 in the '50s). But according to today's sizing guides—which is what people generally have in mind as a reference when discussing her measurements—Marilyn would be roughly a U.S. size 6 or 8. She'd likely need an 8 for her bust, but with forgiving fabric, a 4 or a 6 would easily fit her hips. And of course, her tiny waist would certainly need a belt.

Source:
http://mentalfloss.com/article/66536/what-dress-size-was-marilyn-monroe-actually

Toocoolforschoo

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
96,931 1,770 409
Alleybux
*gets the redundant comments in every Marylin thread out the way*

she wasn't pretty. very overrated, basic looking white woman who was a hoe. Dorothy >>>

I have never understood the Marilyn hate on here, especially since she was one of the few White women of her time whose words and actions show she was committed to issues related to the betterment of life for Jews, Blacks and Civil Rights in general. I believe she died because of things she knew and her commitment to certain issues. For instance, when the Mocambo Club in Hollywood wouldn't book Ella Fitzgerald because she was Black, Marilyn called the owner, and pleaded with him to book her and said she (Marilyn) would show up and buy a table in the front for a week if he booked her (which means Marilyn used her own $$$$$$), and Marilyn did this, and he booked Ella. And Marilyn didn't do this for publicity, because let's be honest, in her day, this would have hurt her career more than it helped. She also spoke a lot in interviews about racism, anti-Semitism, and sexuality in Hollywood, but much of this wasn't printed for obvious reasons. I like Marilyn and I love seeing any photos of old Hollywood, so thanks OP for posting!

Words from Ella Fitzgerald herself:
“I owe Marilyn Monroe a real debt … she personally called the owner of the Mocambo, and told him she wanted me booked immediately, and if he would do it, she would take a front table every night. She told him – and it was true, due to Marilyn’s superstar status – that the press would go wild.
“The owner said yes, and Marilyn was there, front table, every night. The press went overboard. After that, I never had to play a small jazz club again. She was an unusual woman – a little ahead of her times. And she didn’t know it."
marilyn.jpg

ella-fitzgerald-and-marilyn-monroe.jpg

tumblr_lnj3wutoap1qearaqo1_500.jpg

tumblr_n6hubx73ja1qlaando1_1280.jpg

Also, a lot of people don't know this, but Grace Kelly (Princess of Monaco) allowed Josephine Baker to stay at Monaco after she started having financial problems and Princess Grace secured Josephine's burial in Monaco. I'm not caping for these women, but a lot of posters don't realize that some of the people you think didn't care, etc were actually the ones putting their money where their mouth is, which is a lot more than some of the White celebs people stan for today are doing.
558647613-la-princesse-grace-de-monaco-à-droite-avec-gettyimages.jpg

COWBOYS

Reaction score
Reactions
145,394 1,733 1,474
Alleybux

I have never understood the Marilyn hate on here, especially since she was one of the few White women of her time whose words and actions show she was committed to issues related to the betterment of life for Jews, Blacks and Civil Rights in general. I believe she died because of things she knew and her commitment to certain issues. For instance, when the Mocambo Club in Hollywood wouldn't book Ella Fitzgerald because she was Black, Marilyn called the owner, and pleaded with him to book her and said she (Marilyn) would show up and buy a table in the front for a week if he booked her (which means Marilyn used her own $$$$$$), and Marilyn did this, and he booked Ella. And Marilyn didn't do this for publicity, because let's be honest, in her day, this would have hurt her career more than it helped. She also spoke a lot in interviews about racism, anti-Semitism, and sexuality in Hollywood, but much of this wasn't printed for obvious reasons. I like Marilyn and I love seeing any photos of old Hollywood, so thanks OP for posting!

Words from Ella Fitzgerald herself:
“I owe Marilyn Monroe a real debt … she personally called the owner of the Mocambo, and told him she wanted me booked immediately, and if he would do it, she would take a front table every night. She told him – and it was true, due to Marilyn’s superstar status – that the press would go wild.
“The owner said yes, and Marilyn was there, front table, every night. The press went overboard. After that, I never had to play a small jazz club again. She was an unusual woman – a little ahead of her times. And she didn’t know it."
marilyn.jpg

ella-fitzgerald-and-marilyn-monroe.jpg

tumblr_lnj3wutoap1qearaqo1_500.jpg

tumblr_n6hubx73ja1qlaando1_1280.jpg

Also, a lot of people don't know this, but Grace Kelly (Princess of Monaco) allowed Josephine Baker to stay at Monaco after she started having financial problems and Princess Grace secured Josephine's burial in Monaco. I'm not caping for these women, but a lot of posters don't realize that some of the people you think didn't care, etc were actually the ones putting their money where their mouth is, which is a lot more than some of the White celebs people stan for today are doing.
558647613-la-princesse-grace-de-monaco-à-droite-avec-gettyimages.jpg

Wowwwww!!!! Marilyn Monroe liked black people??????!??? Strike up the band folks!!!! This deserves a parade!!!

Mari Jiwe

returnofthelion
Reaction score
Reactions
70,988 2,857 1,965
Alleybux
Never er knew that's where these photos were from. Thanks for posting

No she wouldn't. She's no bigger than your average modern actress. This idea that Hollywood actresses are just so thin today makes no sense. I can only think of a handful that are truly really skinny.

Toocoolforschoo

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
96,931 1,770 409
Alleybux

I believe Marilyn was between a size 8-10, but today she would be a size 2, thanks to Vanity Sizing. She was too curvy and voluptuous to be a size 2 IMO
Marilyn_Monroe--large-msg-11845466195.jpg
3dc2b39385ce5913e540a87f1b8ab627.jpg

http://www.seattletimes.com/entertainment/vanity-sizing-well-pay-more-to-take-a-size-4/

[h=1]Vanity sizing: We’ll pay more to take a “size 4″[/h]
You're not shrinking; clothing manufacturers appeal to our vanity by putting smaller numbers on bigger clothes.

Brook Mark doesn’t care about numbers. Give her a 4, 6 or 8. Her closet has them all.

For most women, lower is better when talking about clothes. But Mark knows not to let a numbers game fool her. She’s fully aware that the true size of her clothing largely depends on the brand.

“I try to buy the same misses sizes, and I can’t do that anymore,” says Mark, a master gardener who lives in Colorado Springs, Colo.

Women’s fashion has always had its own rules, and the rule when it comes to sizing clothes is this: Things aren’t always as they seem. One brand’s 12 might be another brand’s 8.

It’s called “vanity sizing” — putting smaller numbers on bigger clothes. As American waistlines have grown, companies have realized women will spend more money for a smaller number, leading to the sizing rule of thumb: the more you spend, the smaller number you’ll wear. But even mainstream brands have taken hold of the concept and started peddling the idea to the average mall shopper.

Which is why Mark, who wears brands such as Lee, Wrangler and Coldwater Creek, doesn’t wear just one size anymore.

“I don’t care about the number, I care about how it fits,” Mark says. “But the standard numbers that I used are no longer applicable.”

Why? Well, as the name implies — vanity. Shopping is an emotional experience for women, and marketing firms have caught on, says Cheryl Locke, fashion journalism coordinator for the School of Fashion at the Academy of Art University in San Francisco.

“I think it has to do with feeling beautiful — feeling magically transformed by what you’re wearing,” Locke says.

To amp up that feeling, some brands have even revamped their entire sizing system. Chico’s did away with the traditional 6, 8, 10, 12, 14 concept from the start in lieu of one that sizes clothing from 0 to 3.

“They know they can hook that woman because that woman knows she’s a 1,” says Shelley Laur, owner of Swish, a secondhand clothing store in Colorado Springs, Colo. “I don’t know if the media has done that, or if we just buy into that because a smaller number is a smaller size and it just kind of sticks that way in your brain.”

Companies know they can hook a customer with a smaller size, which is why the fashion industry has lagged to return to standard sizing, Laur says.

Sizing used to be standardized in the ’50s, when more women began buying clothes instead of making them, says Laur, who specializes in retro and vintage clothing. But vanity sizing soon started to play a role — largely in the ’60s and ’70s — resulting in the Department of Commerce officially withdrawing commercial sizing standards in 1983. Now only pattern companies use these measurements, according to the National Institute of Standards and Technology Museum Web site.

“Before, they used to size things by bust,” Laur says.

To see vanity sizing in action, just take a look back at the sizing of yore. Marilyn Monroe, whose voluptuous body required a size 16 in the ’50s, was actually more of a 6/8 by today’s standards, Laur says. Generally speaking, clothing sized in the 1950s can be cut in half for an idea of today’s mainstream sizing.

In an attempt to get back to more standardized sizing, the Textile Clothing Technology Corp. invented a body scanner to collect measurements that could help devise a uniform scale. “Size USA,” a 2003 study conducted by the company, scanned 6,310 American women and found that the average waist size varied between 32.6 and 37.4 inches, depending on age and race.

Still, when talking about average sizes, it’s hard to say what that means in terms of clothing tags. Average typically refers to a size 12, which Locke describes as a “Banana Republic 12.” Banana Republic’s fit guide says a size 12 pant is 30 ½ at the natural waist.

“High fashion does become scary for people who aren’t a certain size,” Locke says. “That’s why I think companies like Liz Claiborne, Target and Gap — they continue to inflate their sizes — then the American woman is comfortable shopping there. It’s a very psychological phenomenon.”

So how can you beat the system? Go for fit and forget about numbers. (Your secret’s safe with the saleswoman.) Your best bet is to try things on before buying, but that’s not always possible.

“Most people don’t like to have to try things on — they don’t have time,” Mark says.

In which case, make sure the stores you frequent have friendly return policies.

Melissa Cassutt

Aunt Jackie

Serving up loose meat sandwiches
Reaction score
Reactions
153,449 6,252 4,148
Alleybux
Marilyn is definitely one of the most misunderstood people in Hollywood. Maybe the world.

A lot of people assume she was a dumb, blonde bimbo, but, in actuality, she was very smart, intelligent and witty. She knew how to play the game. In fact, she played it so well, that we're still talking about her 50+ years after her death.

Toocoolforschoo

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
96,931 1,770 409
Alleybux
Wowwwww!!!! Marilyn Monroe liked black people??????!??? Strike up the band folks!!!! This deserves a parade!!!
You are missing the point. I don't mean to say she needs a parade, and I addressed this in my post. I'm not caping for the White people (as I said in my post), but a lot of posters on here attack Marilyn and throw her under the bus, when she actually was a White actress that cared about issues that affected Black people. Meanwhile there are actresses (from Old and current Hollywood) that get all these appreciation threads about them, meanwhile they are either racist, or they definitely don't care at all about Black people, and you have 50 page threads on them with posters fawning over them, not knowing that they hated your people. That's all. But if you can't understand that, there's really little point of trying to say more.

BUTTERCAKE

♥ I love to make guys cry. ♥
Reaction score
Reactions
146,639 5,258 4,148
Alleybux
She looks like a doll.

However,I do side eye the way some black women regard her.

Pressley

Consciousness Over Cookies
Reaction score
Reactions
482,471 14,132 13,199
Alleybux
Bull. Marilyn would easily be a size 14/16 today if not vanity sizing. Look at how wide her back and butt were in that backshot. Not to mention, she wore heavy foundations under her clothes, very heavy girdles.
You Marilyn stans are delusional and annoying. Dorothy was a size 5 though. :dead:
I'm also laughing at the other person in here saying Marilyn was a size 2. LMAOOOOOOOO
Maybe she had two dicks in her mouth that night but that was the only 2 in her orbit.

karyn

Don’t do me y’all. Black Karyn since 2006
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
190,991 4,026 3,303
Alleybux
I never thought she was gorgeous per se, but she knew how to turn on the xes appeal. And she was a very interesting lady who knew every man with power along with everyone's secrets. Damn, how I wish she had given a tell all interview or wrote a book before she died. That woman lived, honey!

kittykatt

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
230 13 6
Alleybux
Bull. Marilyn would easily be a size 14/16 today if not vanity sizing. Look at how wide her back and butt were in that backshot. Not to mention, she wore heavy foundations under her clothes, very heavy girdles.
You Marilyn stans are delusional and annoying. Dorothy was a size 5 though. :dead:
I'm also laughing at the other person in here saying Marilyn was a size 2. LMAOOOOOOOO
Maybe she had two dicks in her mouth that night but that was the only 2 in her orbit.

In what world is this a size 16?
tumblr_njjlxjjT7J1qdez2zo2_500.jpg

Marilyn-Monroe-marilyn-monroe-30813502-600-797.jpg
cute2.jpg

Trick or Treat

Knock Knock
Reaction score
Reactions
3,720 1
Alleybux
Never er knew that's where these photos were from. Thanks for posting

No she wouldn't. She's no bigger than your average modern actress. This idea that Hollywood actresses are just so thin today makes no sense. I can only think of a handful that are truly really skinny.
Marilyn was five foot five. Many actresses and supermodels are really tall and this makes them look really thin. In the industry now they are sooo damned picky. Now you gotta be really tall, thin, they prefer flat asses and flatter chests (for supermodels and magazine models and runway models).

zaramel

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
104,571 5,530 1,138
Alleybux
Thanks for the pics! Love them. Marilyn was soo..idk it's hard to describe. She had that spark. There just wasn't any other women like her... there still isn't 50 years later. That says a lot.

Music.Box

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
100,939 2,823 160
Alleybux
...these look to be older pictures. Like EARLY pics of her. Her size, like someone said previously, changed throughout the years.
Marilyn's weight did fluctuate like most women depending on illness, stress and ect. In 1961 she had gallbalder surgery and lost a lot of weight as a result.

These pics are from her screen test for Something's Got to Give a few months before her death in 1962. I can't post the bikini pics because of the new rules but she was very thin.

Somethings-Got-To-Give.jpg

tumblr_mtdybui7Mb1rv2y9ko1_1280.jpg

11.jpg

article-2116979-12373546000005DC-383_634x866.jpg

https://youtu.be/yFaGHnbcnIs

deep1

Serial Thanker
Reaction score
Reactions
161,570 5,569 5,240
Alleybux
She looks like Jean Harlow in these pictures. Jean Harlow was the original blonde before Marilyn.

dodgy

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
23,861 434 117
Alleybux

Only by fat acceptance, health at every size apologists. If she were alive today (and at the same measurements) Marilyn Monroe would have been a US size 4/ UK size 8.

jessicacooper12

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
3,313 268 218
Alleybux
She was so Pretty but had sad life but she in a better place now and May her soul Rest in Peace.

Music.Box

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
100,939 2,823 160
Alleybux
She looks like Jean Harlow in these pictures. Jean Harlow was the original blonde before Marilyn.
I love Jean Harlow! They had a lot of similarities and Marilyn was modeled after her since Jean was Marilyn's idol. So sad her life was cut short at 26 years old. Marilyn wanted to portray her in a movie.

Both Marilyn and Jean were brought up by strict Christian Scientists (in Norma Jeane's case, her beloved foster parent, Ana Lower); both were married three times; both left school at sixteen to marry their first husbands (Harlow eloped with a millionaire); both spent their lives seeking out their father; and both died in tragic and some say suspicious circumstances. They both acted opposite Clark Gable in the last film they ever made. Gable once said of Harlow, "She didn't want to be famous, she wanted to be happy," a quote that can be equally applied to Marilyn.

Oh and both posed nude early in their careers.

wgwxnt.jpg

jean-harlow2.jpg

160odua.jpg

jean-harlow-china-seas.jpg

tumblr_nhmgmhbs661qdm4tlo1_500.gif

Cityscape

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
2,752 7 8
Alleybux
Marilyn is definitely one of the most misunderstood people in Hollywood. Maybe the world.

A lot of people assume she was a dumb, blonde bimbo, but, in actuality, she was very smart, intelligent and witty. She knew how to play the game. In fact, she played it so well, that we're still talking about her 50+ years after her death.

That and as in terms of her acting, it's actually not easy to 'play dumb' and be comedic on film. The timing, delivery, tone, expressions-you actually have to be smart to deliver that well. I'd say it's much more easy to act 'sad' than to pull off getting a laugh out of an audience.

It always pisses me off that Oscars tend to only go to 'serious/gritty' roles. Some of people's most favourite performances are comedic but they rarely get those types of awards, there should be a special category or they'll forever lose out to the usual award winners.

Cityscape

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
2,752 7 8
Alleybux
I love Jean Harlow! They had a lot of similarities and Marilyn was modeled after her since Jean was Marilyn's idol. So sad her life was cut short at 26 years old. Marilyn wanted to portray her in a movie.

Both Marilyn and Jean were brought up by strict Christian Scientists (in Norma Jeane's case, her beloved foster parent, Ana Lower); both were married three times; both left school at sixteen to marry their first husbands (Harlow eloped with a millionaire); both spent their lives seeking out their father; and both died in tragic and some say suspicious circumstances. They both acted opposite Clark Gable in the last film they ever made. Gable once said of Harlow, "She didn't want to be famous, she wanted to be happy," a quote that can be equally applied to Marilyn.

Oh and both posed nude early in their careers.

wgwxnt.jpg

jean-harlow2.jpg

160odua.jpg

jean-harlow-china-seas.jpg

tumblr_nhmgmhbs661qdm4tlo1_500.gif

Um isn't the first a bald Justin Bieber? Lol :18:

Maple Walnut

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
5,172 92 83
Alleybux
It's always someone coming in the thread talking about she wasn't all that and compare her to Dorothy...I mean can't someone be a fan of both lol this is a Marilyn thread lmaoooo

ILLNaNa

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
51,669 2,121 2,353
Alleybux
She seems like a sweet woman that got chewed up by the industry. Marilyn also suffered from severe schizophrenia and she probably was not able to determine perception from reality...people knew that and took advantage of it.

News Alley

Ask LSA

The Lounge

General Alley

Top Bottom