Tight protective style and itchy scalp

Reactions
2,417 45 48
Alleybux
I got butterfly locs not even a week ago and my scalp is very itchy. I think my stylist did them too tight. I tried telling her if she could do them looser/she was doing them tight and the stylist didn’t listen, just gave some excuse as to why they needed to be tight.

Does anybody have any tips on how I can ease the itching? I keep rubbing with the pads of my finger but it’s not helping

Reactions
32,501 551 894
Alleybux
The only way to ease the itching is to take them out. She may have done them too tight but in addition to that it could be the chemicals on the synthetic hair. I always soak my synthetic braiding hair in vinegar before install. You’ll see white scum rise to the top. That’s the shit that itches your scalp the entire time you have extensions in. I haven’t had itchy extensions since.

Reactions
15,899 427 35
Alleybux
The only way to ease the itching is to take them out. She may have done them too tight but in addition to that it could be the chemicals on the synthetic hair. I always soak my synthetic braiding hair in vinegar before install. You’ll see white scum rise to the top. That’s the shit that itches your scalp the entire time you have extensions in. I haven’t had itchy extensions since.
After soaking the hair is it the same as before?

"I'M PLACING PETTY FONTS ON IGNORE"
Reactions
5,322 87 99
Alleybux

OP I agree with this poster. I know you don't wanna, but I'll take those extensions out. Because if it's too tight, it may break some of the hair. Also, I won't be comfortable with tight braids that's itchy.

Reactions
42,656 677 660
Alleybux
My scalp was dry and itchy for months. Oils and grease did not work. I don't know why because they usually do but this time It didn't. It was not dandruffs nor was my scalp dirty, I wash weekly. I just a dry scalp.

I ended up using serum because I was desperate and I noticed the itching stopped instantly. Even my break age has stopped.

I would try a serum. Any serum. They pretty much all are the same

A Woman/Chrysler
Reactions
21,361 448 390
Alleybux
realistically you should take it out but i know many wouldn't so you can
-use a hot towel on your scalp to semi steam and loosen it
-use a warm towel and a little shampoo on it, clean your scalp to make sure you don't have any of that coating on your scalp and grease your scalp either with grease or a butter
-you can also take a benadryl to make sure you're not getting an allergic reaction/inflammation because that will only make it feel tighter

it'll loosen up in a few days, maybe 2 or 3 usually

Reactions
170,356 3,446 451
Alleybux
I don't have braids but in the winter my scalp tends to get itchy so I use this
1618737079682.png

which is actually for braids and twists. It's works great and smells good.

The Chosen One
Reactions
7,426 100 18
Alleybux
Get a bottle of professional Sea Breeze, pour some ina spray bottle and spray your scalp. That cooling sensation should calm down.

I usually use Sea Breeze on my scalp only when I wear my natural hair in two strand twists just because I love the cooling sensation.

If it is causing you discomfort, I would take them out because I would hate for you to have severe breakage if you leave them in too long and discover the breakage later down the line.

Reactions
15,715 154 24
Alleybux
I got butterfly locs not even a week ago and my scalp is very itchy. I think my stylist did them too tight. I tried telling her if she could do them looser/she was doing them tight and the stylist didn’t listen, just gave some excuse as to why they needed to be tight.

Does anybody have any tips on how I can ease the itching? I keep rubbing with the pads of my finger but it’s not helping
Remove them and don't go back there. You could be damaging your follicles. Once they're out, see how your scalp reacts.

Reactions
2,498 60 4
Alleybux

Try buying into prestretched hair. It doesn’t itch, washing braiding hair in acv lessens the product that causes the itching but you most likely will have an allergic reaction still after you rinse it.

If she did the locs too tight and you have itching with bumps it make cause your hair to fall out at the bulb. Honestly tour best bet is just take them out. Rather have wasted money on a hairstyle then to have damaged your scalp and follicles

Reactions
12,635 93 63
Alleybux
No ma'am. I know you don't want to hear this right now, but take them out! If it is too tight or itchy it's not protecting your hair. It's going to cause shedding.

I am dealing with some thinking because during the pandemic I didn't take care of my hair. Then I started putting my hair into these high tuck and pin styles. But I think the band and constant manipulation along with not detangling my hair regularly caused damage.

Then I decided to slick my hair back in a low bun. While my buns are indeed cute my edges are starting to break.

I generally have a nice thick head of hair with length. But I cut off so much due to damage. This happened over the course of a year. Be careful.

Reactions
87,559 2,772 525
Alleybux

Hi, what are you protecting your hair from ?

Reactions
2,417 45 48
Alleybux
OP I agree with this poster. I know you don't wanna, but I'll take those extensions out. Because if it's too tight, it may break some of the hair. Also, I won't be comfortable with tight braids that's itchy.

realistically you should take it out but i know many wouldn't so you can
-use a hot towel on your scalp to semi steam and loosen it
-use a warm towel and a little shampoo on it, clean your scalp to make sure you don't have any of that coating on your scalp and grease your scalp either with grease or a butter
-you can also take a benadryl to make sure you're not getting an allergic reaction/inflammation because that will only make it feel tighter

it'll loosen up in a few days, maybe 2 or 3 usually

Remove them and don't go back there. You could be damaging your follicles. Once they're out, see how your scalp reacts.

No ma'am. I know you don't want to hear this right now, but take them out! If it is too tight or itchy it's not protecting your hair. It's going to cause shedding.

I am dealing with some thinking because during the pandemic I didn't take care of my hair. Then I started putting my hair into these high tuck and pin styles. But I think the band and constant manipulation along with not detangling my hair regularly caused damage.

Then I decided to slick my hair back in a low bun. While my buns are indeed cute my edges are starting to break.

I generally have a nice thick head of hair with length. But I cut off so much due to damage. This happened over the course of a year. Be careful.

I honestly do want to take them out but I got them for my graduation and it’s still 2 weeks away :( I’m taking my pictures a week before the actual ceremony so I’ll take them out then.

Thank y’all for being honest though. I’ll try the ACV rinse now since I have some on hand and if that doesn’t help I’ll try some of the other remedies

Reactions
12,635 93 63
Alleybux
I honestly do want to take them out but I got them for my graduation and it’s still 2 weeks away :( I’m taking my pictures a week before the actual ceremony so I’ll take them out then.

Thank y’all for being honest though. I’ll try the ACV rinse now since I have some on hand and if that doesn’t help I’ll try some of the other remedies
I'll tell you what then. Get some witch hazel out of the drug store. Get a very mild brand. Then take cotton and swab your scalp. That ACV is too acidic. It's going to irritate your scalp further. Then get some yeast cream and Sulfer 8, or a mild oil of your choice. Put it on your scalp. Or get a mity oil like Design or Kera Kare.

She only mad, I did it better than her friends
Reactions
27,764 71 17
Alleybux
Back in the day I used this

1618770772446.png

but ultimately letting the hair grow out a bit is all you can do, if you aren't going to take it out.

The Culture

The Lounge

General Alley

Recent Posts

What's HOT and what's NOT in these Crypto Coin Streets?
Sitting. So glad I found this thread since I was about to buy dogecoin earlier today.... be careful is you are and wait for it to drop.
EVICTION Moratorium Is OVER on the Federal Level. Renter's May Still Be Protected By State Laws.
I think the government should have given landlords direct payments for their tenants since they didn't want people to get evicted. Watch a bunch...
What’s your favorite Drake song?
Passionfruit Find your love A Night off Come thru Headlines Cameras We're going home God's plan How bout now Hotline Bling
The Handmaid's Tale | Season 4 Discussion Thread
Seems more like they are the "leftovers" after half the country was destroyed. I haven't read the books so I don't know what the situation is in...
  • Poll
Meghan Markle unpopular opinions thread pt 2
Audiobook available, narrated by ....
YouTube's Beef Sector: The Poor Reports
Keke and Flo sound like scorned lovers. That is exactly what Quanney is saying now.
Why do broke people say money buys happiness but rich people say it doesn’t?
Because they have different problems. If you're on the verge of eviction and get food stamps and your kids are in shit schools, your unhappiness...
Top Bottom