Quantcast

Tight protective style and itchy scalp

virgoprincess

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
3,066 60 58
Alleybux
I got butterfly locs not even a week ago and my scalp is very itchy. I think my stylist did them too tight. I tried telling her if she could do them looser/she was doing them tight and the stylist didn’t listen, just gave some excuse as to why they needed to be tight.

Does anybody have any tips on how I can ease the itching? I keep rubbing with the pads of my finger but it’s not helping

stewpeas

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
102,888 5,265 4,061
Alleybux
The only way to ease the itching is to take them out. She may have done them too tight but in addition to that it could be the chemicals on the synthetic hair. I always soak my synthetic braiding hair in vinegar before install. You’ll see white scum rise to the top. That’s the sh!t that itches your scalp the entire time you have extensions in. I haven’t had itchy extensions since.

RichCookie

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
20,404 487 57
Alleybux
The only way to ease the itching is to take them out. She may have done them too tight but in addition to that it could be the chemicals on the synthetic hair. I always soak my synthetic braiding hair in vinegar before install. You’ll see white scum rise to the top. That’s the sh!t that itches your scalp the entire time you have extensions in. I haven’t had itchy extensions since.
After soaking the hair is it the same as before?

NaptrulyMe

"I'M PLACING PETTY FONTS ON IGNORE"
Reaction score
Reactions
6,674 108 114
Alleybux

OP I agree with this poster. I know you don't wanna, but I'll take those extensions out. Because if it's too tight, it may break some of the hair. Also, I won't be comfortable with tight braids that's itchy.

Jsolidus

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
103,832 5,402 5,378
Alleybux
My scalp was dry and itchy for months. Oils and grease did not work. I don't know why because they usually do but this time It didn't. It was not dandruffs nor was my scalp dirty, I wash weekly. I just a dry scalp.

I ended up using serum because I was desperate and I noticed the itching stopped instantly. Even my break age has stopped.

I would try a serum. Any serum. They pretty much all are the same

Chrysanthemum

A Woman/Chrysler
Reaction score
Reactions
32,177 1,007 832
Alleybux
realistically you should take it out but i know many wouldn't so you can
-use a hot towel on your scalp to semi steam and loosen it
-use a warm towel and a little shampoo on it, clean your scalp to make sure you don't have any of that coating on your scalp and grease your scalp either with grease or a butter
-you can also take a benadryl to make sure you're not getting an allergic reaction/inflammation because that will only make it feel tighter

it'll loosen up in a few days, maybe 2 or 3 usually

bays and bridges

I love Home Decor...
Reaction score
Reactions
3,687 179 8
Alleybux
After soaking the hair is it the same as before?
yes yes rich cookie.the hair is the same after washing it in vinegar.let it hang dry.washing only removes the chemicals that causes itching/ breakouts and do not damage the hair.it works!

talking2much

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
227,895 5,300 768
Alleybux
I don't have braids but in the winter my scalp tends to get itchy so I use this
1618737079682.png

which is actually for braids and twists. It's works great and smells good.

MissDupree

The Chosen One
Reaction score
Reactions
10,261 214 19
Alleybux
Get a bottle of professional Sea Breeze, pour some ina spray bottle and spray your scalp. That cooling sensation should calm down.

I usually use Sea Breeze on my scalp only when I wear my natural hair in two strand twists just because I love the cooling sensation.

If it is causing you discomfort, I would take them out because I would hate for you to have severe breakage if you leave them in too long and discover the breakage later down the line.

Fader

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
29,188 466 40
Alleybux
I got butterfly locs not even a week ago and my scalp is very itchy. I think my stylist did them too tight. I tried telling her if she could do them looser/she was doing them tight and the stylist didn’t listen, just gave some excuse as to why they needed to be tight.

Does anybody have any tips on how I can ease the itching? I keep rubbing with the pads of my finger but it’s not helping
Remove them and don't go back there. You could be damaging your follicles. Once they're out, see how your scalp reacts.

Selenadominates

Only here on the weekends
Reaction score
Reactions
121,078 3,174 3,052
Alleybux
Do an apple cider vinegar rinse. I had a reaction to the chemicals in the braiding hair and that cleared it up. Also the locs will loosen up if you move them around.

Xxxxxxxxo

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
8,708 284 87
Alleybux

Try buying into prestretched hair. It doesn’t itch, washing braiding hair in acv lessens the product that causes the itching but you most likely will have an allergic reaction still after you rinse it.

If she did the locs too tight and you have itching with bumps it make cause your hair to fall out at the bulb. Honestly tour best bet is just take them out. Rather have wasted money on a hairstyle then to have damaged your scalp and follicles

ChihulyGlass

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
26,600 1,464 715
Alleybux
No ma'am. I know you don't want to hear this right now, but take them out! If it is too tight or itchy it's not protecting your hair. It's going to cause shedding.

I am dealing with some thinking because during the pandemic I didn't take care of my hair. Then I started putting my hair into these high tuck and pin styles. But I think the band and constant manipulation along with not detangling my hair regularly caused damage.

Then I decided to slick my hair back in a low bun. While my buns are indeed cute my edges are starting to break.

I generally have a nice thick head of hair with length. But I cut off so much due to damage. This happened over the course of a year. Be careful.

Jenniangel

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
107,088 4,501 1,509
Alleybux

Hi, what are you protecting your hair from ?

virgoprincess

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
3,066 60 58
Alleybux
OP I agree with this poster. I know you don't wanna, but I'll take those extensions out. Because if it's too tight, it may break some of the hair. Also, I won't be comfortable with tight braids that's itchy.

realistically you should take it out but i know many wouldn't so you can
-use a hot towel on your scalp to semi steam and loosen it
-use a warm towel and a little shampoo on it, clean your scalp to make sure you don't have any of that coating on your scalp and grease your scalp either with grease or a butter
-you can also take a benadryl to make sure you're not getting an allergic reaction/inflammation because that will only make it feel tighter

it'll loosen up in a few days, maybe 2 or 3 usually

Remove them and don't go back there. You could be damaging your follicles. Once they're out, see how your scalp reacts.

No ma'am. I know you don't want to hear this right now, but take them out! If it is too tight or itchy it's not protecting your hair. It's going to cause shedding.

I am dealing with some thinking because during the pandemic I didn't take care of my hair. Then I started putting my hair into these high tuck and pin styles. But I think the band and constant manipulation along with not detangling my hair regularly caused damage.

Then I decided to slick my hair back in a low bun. While my buns are indeed cute my edges are starting to break.

I generally have a nice thick head of hair with length. But I cut off so much due to damage. This happened over the course of a year. Be careful.

I honestly do want to take them out but I got them for my graduation and it’s still 2 weeks away :( I’m taking my pictures a week before the actual ceremony so I’ll take them out then.

Thank y’all for being honest though. I’ll try the ACV rinse now since I have some on hand and if that doesn’t help I’ll try some of the other remedies

ChihulyGlass

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
26,600 1,464 715
Alleybux
I honestly do want to take them out but I got them for my graduation and it’s still 2 weeks away :( I’m taking my pictures a week before the actual ceremony so I’ll take them out then.

Thank y’all for being honest though. I’ll try the ACV rinse now since I have some on hand and if that doesn’t help I’ll try some of the other remedies
I'll tell you what then. Get some witch hazel out of the drug store. Get a very mild brand. Then take cotton and swab your scalp. That ACV is too acidic. It's going to irritate your scalp further. Then get some yeast cream and Sulfer 8, or a mild oil of your choice. Put it on your scalp. Or get a mity oil like Design or Kera Kare.

Badassery xx

Sure don't give a damn!
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
47,497 831 193
Alleybux
Back in the day I used this

1618770772446.png

but ultimately letting the hair grow out a bit is all you can do, if you aren't going to take it out.

News Alley

The Lounge

General Alley

Top Bottom