JessicaL

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
255,191 7,357 3,645
Alleybux

5 useful ways to practice langauges when you don’t know native speakers
Why it's important to practice speaking

A key part of learning a language to fluency is practicing with a native speaker. Talking to native speakers helps you improve pronunciation, learn natural grammar, and broaden your vocabulary. However, when we learn a new language from scratch, it’s sometimes difficult to find people lear us who speak the language we are learning. How then, can we learn and practice a language without the help of a native speaker? Here are 5 tried and tested tips.

1. Shadowing videos and podcasts

If you’d like to practice speaking skills, shadowing is an excellent way to do so. Shadowing means listening to audio and repeating exactly what and how the native speaker says something. If it’s intimidating to repeat something that’s long and above your level, start with beginner content. You can find language lessons on YouTube and repeat what the teacher says. I like the Easy Languages channel because the videos are always in a natural setting and there are bilingual subtitles. A polyglot I admire is Prof Alexander Arguelles (I’ve mentioned him before in my post about the Polyglot Conference). He has an in-depth video explanation about shadowing here.

Shadowing works well when you have a transcript alongside a video or podcast. It’s important to be able to see what you hear and repeat. For Korean learners, I recommend the Spongemind YouTube channel and Podcast. Johnson from Spongemind creates transcripts for each episode that you can request. We had a chat on his channel recently and you can request the transcript for it directly from the Spongemind site.

2. Talking to yourself, your pets, or Siri

Did you know you can change the language that Siri speaks? Sometimes when I’m bored, I change the language and have a nice chat in different languages with Siri. You don’t need to worry about making mistakes – a robot won’t judge you – and you can test your pronunciation and grammar to see if Siri will know what you’re saying.

Talking to yourself is fine too – if you make sure to look up words you’re stuck on! You can also talk to your pets, like asking your dog if they’re going outside, telling your cat you’re going to give it new food, etc. This helps you think of words you might not know, and reminds you of words you’ll use often in daily life. Ask yourself questions about what you’re doing, describe what you’re thinking, or write your shopping list in your target language.

3. Try talking to a chatbot!

One of my favorite apps for language learning is Ling. There’s a chatbot function which allows you to “talk” and practice conversations. Of course, talking to a real native speaker will be more natural and fun, but this is good practice when you’re a beginner and want to write down key phrases, when you’re shy to talk to a real person, or when you just want a better feel of the language before you are ready to speak. The app has different topics you can choose to practice. After going through a conversation, I like to write down the sentences in my notebook, practice them, and replace some words with new ones so I can make my own phrases.

Ling has vocabulary with audio, conversation practice, a chatbot and more. Get 7 days free on a subscription of Ling here.

4. Write something and get corrections

Two apps I use to get corrections on my writing on are HiNative and HelloTalk. All you need to do is post something you’ve written and there will be a bunch of people who are ready to correct your mistakes. Take the time to thank them, write down what you learn, and maybe say hello to start a conversation. Alternatively, you can try other language exchange apps like Tandem or a website like MyLanguageExchange or Penpalworld to meet native speakers and practice talking to them.

5. Follow native speakers on social media

Whenever I learn a new language, I make a point of following a bunch of Twitter and Instagram accounts of people who speak the language I learn. If they post content relevant to my interests, it gives me a way in to comment on something and maybe message them to start an online friendship. Don’t be shy to contact native speakers online if you have stuff in common! If you’re struggling to find native speakers, you can connect with fellow language learners online too – there’s always something you can learn from someone who’s also learning the language you are.

You can also learn a lot from fellow language learners who aren’t native speakers. It’s OK if you’re both still learning the language – it’s still an opportunity to practice and learn from each other. Twitter, again, is a lovely place to meet language learners!

Source:
Lindie Botes - Polyglot YouTuber

Charlotta

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
81,592 1,412 216
Alleybux
Great ideas! Thanks for sharing.

A key part of learning a language to fluency is practicing with a native speaker. Talking to native speakers helps you improve pronunciation, learn natural grammar, and broaden your vocabulary. However, when we learn a new language from scratch, it’s sometimes difficult to find people lear us who speak the language we are learning. How then, can we learn and practice a language without the help of a native speaker? Here are 5 tried and tested tips.

If you’d like to practice speaking skills, shadowing is an excellent way to do so. Shadowing means listening to audio and repeating exactly what and how the native speaker says something. If it’s intimidating to repeat something that’s long and above your level, start with beginner content. You can find language lessons on YouTube and repeat what the teacher says. I like the Easy Languages channel because the videos are always in a natural setting and there are bilingual subtitles. A polyglot I admire is Prof Alexander Arguelles (I’ve mentioned him before in my post about the Polyglot Conference). He has an in-depth video explanation about shadowing here.

Shadowing works well when you have a transcript alongside a video or podcast. It’s important to be able to see what you hear and repeat. For Korean learners, I recommend the Spongemind YouTube channel and Podcast. Johnson from Spongemind creates transcripts for each episode that you can request. We had a chat on his channel recently and you can request the transcript for it directly from the Spongemind site.

Did you know you can change the language that Siri speaks? Sometimes when I’m bored, I change the language and have a nice chat in different languages with Siri. You don’t need to worry about making mistakes – a robot won’t judge you – and you can test your pronunciation and grammar to see if Siri will know what you’re saying.

Talking to yourself is fine too – if you make sure to look up words you’re stuck on! You can also talk to your pets, like asking your dog if they’re going outside, telling your cat you’re going to give it new food, etc. This helps you think of words you might not know, and reminds you of words you’ll use often in daily life. Ask yourself questions about what you’re doing, describe what you’re thinking, or write your shopping list in your target language.

One of my favorite apps for language learning is Ling. There’s a chatbot function which allows you to “talk” and practice conversations. Of course, talking to a real native speaker will be more natural and fun, but this is good practice when you’re a beginner and want to write down key phrases, when you’re shy to talk to a real person, or when you just want a better feel of the language before you are ready to speak. The app has different topics you can choose to practice. After going through a conversation, I like to write down the sentences in my notebook, practice them, and replace some words with new ones so I can make my own phrases.

Ling has vocabulary with audio, conversation practice, a chatbot and more. Get 7 days free on a subscription of Ling here.

Two apps I use to get corrections on my writing on are HiNative and HelloTalk. All you need to do is post something you’ve written and there will be a bunch of people who are ready to correct your mistakes. Take the time to thank them, write down what you learn, and maybe say hello to start a conversation. Alternatively, you can try other language exchange apps like Tandem or a website like MyLanguageExchange or Penpalworld to meet native speakers and practice talking to them.

Whenever I learn a new language, I make a point of following a bunch of Twitter and Instagram accounts of people who speak the language I learn. If they post content relevant to my interests, it gives me a way in to comment on something and maybe message them to start an online friendship. Don’t be shy to contact native speakers online if you have stuff in common! If you’re struggling to find native speakers, you can connect with fellow language learners online too – there’s always something you can learn from someone who’s also learning the language you are.

You can also learn a lot from fellow language learners who aren’t native speakers. It’s OK if you’re both still learning the language – it’s still an opportunity to practice and learn from each other. Twitter, again, is a lovely place to meet language learners!

Source:

SfAplha3

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
35,268 939 221
Alleybux
Nice thread, I'm going to try the shadowing. My biggest struggle is finding the confidence to speak or recall what I learned verbally. I have friends I can practice with occasionally, but I feel weird trying to have my language learning process hinge on a handful of people talking me through my kid level german/french.

IrisOsiris

Last friday night
Reaction score
Reactions
101,862 3,302 3,198
Alleybux
awesome! I'm trying to learn korean at the moment because my spouse works around mostly koreans, most of whom are not all that good at speaking english and a lot of his reference documents are in korean. scary stuff. so i had suggested we both learn korean but it's been coming along slowly, admittedly.
i love all of these tips and will give some or all of these a go.
the first step for me is going to be learning their alphabet.

Source:

Coconochanel

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
295,830 10,719 6,565
Alleybux
Chile, I'm about about to take on a 5th language for my man. Not exactly thrilled to be language learning again but here goes : unamused:

I would be more enthusiastic if it were Italian or another language I find exciting but on the positive side I will have a lot of immersion because he exclusively (outside of me) hangs around people who speak his native language so I will have a lot of immersion to learn quickly.

cosmiclatte

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
296,616 13,129 4,050
Alleybux
Chile, I'm about about to take on a 5th language for my man. Not exactly thrilled to be language learning again but here goes : unamused:

I would be more enthusiastic if it were Italian or another language I find exciting but on the positive side I will have a lot of immersion because he exclusively (outside of me) hangs around people who speak his native language so I will have a lot of immersion to learn quickly.
What other languages do you know?

RaRaRaHu

The petty princess
Reaction score
Reactions
52,913 1,520 1,308
Alleybux
I usually just go on sites, read out loud, watch things in French and talk to myself in French as well. It helps.

VitaxRain

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
619 2 6
Alleybux
Thanks! This is very helpful, since I've been playing around with trying to learn a little German, and also getting back into learning spanish since high school!

LeBronFan

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
46,803 2,676 1,826
Alleybux
xPgjN3a.jpg

Sometimes I be practicing shadowing, while watching Films; with interesting characters that speak different languages.
I picked up this fun habit, when I was a child.

These YouTubers makes speaking different languages look cool, to me.

laoshu505000 - Black Man Speaks 10 Different Languages With Different Foreigners!

TheUrbanEve - How I learned 8 Languages | w/subtitles

The Kabs Family - Maliya Kabs SHOCKS dad with Spanish & Portuguese

Thanks for sharing the information Op.
Just my personal thoughts and views (03/25/2021).
Peace.
:peace

cyberthot

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
7,311 361 335
Alleybux
i talk to myself in the language and watch shows in the language i'm trying to soak up. i learned french this way. unfortunately, i can speak it rather well but writing it is another story.
same goes for korean and japanese, i can barely remember how to write anything but i can speak them a little although i got a little rusty.

Morning View

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
16,888 403 105
Alleybux
i talk to myself in the language and watch shows in the language i'm trying to soak up. i learned french this way. unfortunately, i can speak it rather well but writing it is another story.
same goes for korean and japanese, i can barely remember how to write anything but i can speak them a little although i got a little rusty.
What shows did you watch? I wanna learn Portuguese (the Brazilian variant) and I was thinking of watching a few Brazilian shows. I do listen to some Brazilian music.

I always wanted to learn multiple languages. I guess I can start studying now. How long did you study each day?

Blue Hour

Go outside.
Reaction score
Reactions
14,994 275 3
Alleybux
Interesting article.

the first step for me is going to be learning their alphabet.

lol what’s his native language?

eta: didn’t realize this thread is a little old... oops.

cyberthot

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
7,311 361 335
Alleybux
What shows did you watch? I wanna learn Portuguese (the Brazilian variant) and I was thinking of watching a few Brazilian shows. I do listen to some Brazilian music.

I always wanted to learn multiple languages. I guess I can start studying now. How long did you study each day?
i watch any type of show that uses colloquial language, usually dramas or comedies. it's important to not only learn the grammar of a language but to also learn how the native speakers actually speak. often times we are taught the formal usage of the language and it sounds off to natives because of it.

i didn't study everyday to be honest. i went to french class once a week. i'd just suggest reading books in portuguese if you want to get better at grammar and read them out loud for pronunciation.

Morning View

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
16,888 403 105
Alleybux
i watch any type of show that uses colloquial language, usually dramas or comedies. it's important to not only learn the grammar of a language but to also learn how the native speakers actually speak. often times we are taught the formal usage of the language and it sounds off to natives because of it.

i didn't study everyday to be honest. i went to french class once a week. i'd just suggest reading books in portuguese if you want to get better at grammar and read them out loud for pronunciation.
Thanks! I’ll try this out.

Kwandejah

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
21,481 769 417
Alleybux
I've heard that watching cartoons in the language helps. I've been trying to learn French off and on by using language apps. Everyone's tips seem a little better than what I was trying

Coconochanel

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
295,830 10,719 6,565
Alleybux
If it's feasible for you guys, I seriously recommend moving abroad. I think it's more accessible now than ever since jobs have gone remote due to the pandemic. And don't move to a major city (Milan, Berlin, Paris, Lisbon) where everybody speaks English and there is a major expat population; move to a smaller city and refuse to speak in English.

Then, find volunteer opportunities so you can start communicating in the language. Start with basic things like stocking/serving at food pantries then work your way up to welcoming/guiding people at events, etc. Before you know it you'll have a decent level of fluency. Just keep working at it until you feel confident enough to work for pay in your target language.

Obviously mix in consuming media in your target language and making friends with this strategy too.

Coconochanel

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
295,830 10,719 6,565
Alleybux

Also, a little update on this: I'm debating between no longer studying his language or studying enough to exclusively respond in French to his friends/family when they speak to me.

I initially wanted to learn his language out of politeness because I assumed his friends/family would have the decency to use a lingua franca around me (French in this case, since we live in France), but they usually just talk to him in their native language and leave me out of conversations so fµck them and their language.

They've been living here 10+ years and refuse to learn French at a reasonable level, so I'm not bending to accommodate their foolishness. I truly cannot stand people who move to a country and refuse to learn the language. They get by because they only work and socialise with people from their native country.

ladyvibrant

reading when not online
Reaction score
Reactions
8,173 136 39
Alleybux

Anything Brazilian proves fantastic! Here's some suggestions:

1) Me, You, Them (Eu, Tu, Eles), a film directed by Andrucha Waddington, starring Regina Casé, Stenio Garcia, Lima Duarte, and Luiz Carlos Vasconcelos. It takes place in the sertão. The sertão of Brazil is the backlands, which is in the Northeast of Brazil. The people who live in this part of Brazil have almost NO COMFORT. They work for almost nothing. Regina Casé plays Darlene de Lima Linhares, a fertile woman who acquires three husbands and four children, under the same roof. This film gets categorized as a comedy but it doesn't make me laugh. I take it seriously. Gilberto Gil composed the score, which complements the film exquisitely. This film opens your mind about the power of attraction and the interpretation of beauty.

2) City of Men (Cidade dos Homens)~ This started as a TV show which gathered much attention from Brazilian viewers. The producers decided to make a film on it. I didn't dislike the movie but I prefer the TV show. It's light-hearted and substantial. The same team who developed City of God produced this project. It's a separate set of characters, though. You will see many of the actors from City of God. Oh yes! Douglas Silva and Darlan Cunha star as Acerola and Laranjinha!!

3) Lower City (Cidade Baixa) ~ a film directed by Sérgio Machado, starring Alice Braga, Wagner Moura, and Lázaro Ramos. It's grimy and exciting. It's a xes triangle with Alice Braga as a prostitute who serves a pair of best friends, played by Wagner Moura and Lázaro Ramos. This film is set in the Lower City of Salvador, Bahia. Some reviews choose to write love triangle. Not me. I don't believe love glues these characters. It might be intimacy and xes but love? Nope!!!

4) The Second Mother (Que Horas Ela Volta?)~ Regina Casé again!! This time directed by Anna Muylaert!! Regina Casé plays Val, a cherished housekeeper who showers affection on the son of the house. His parents have great wealth and great turmoil. Val's daughter shows up so that she can pass an entrance to a prestigious university. This film occurs in the city of São Paulo. Val and her daughter, due to Val's departure from the Northeast, have a tense relationship. I laughed with this one and felt no shame or guilt. It's an earnest comedy. I saw this film at an arthouse cinema. A wondrous memory.

Forgive me for not presenting many TV shows but the Brazilian cinema holds greater caliber.

I want to add about Andrucha Waddington: Andrucha sounds feminine but Andrucha's a man. Andrucha means Big Andrew. I want people to know that.

If you don't find any of these titles in your library catalog, then you can find them on online shops.

Please tell me what you think of them. This would make fascinating discussion. Tchau!!

Morning View

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
16,888 403 105
Alleybux
Anything Brazilian proves fantastic! Here's some suggestions:

1) Me, You, Them (Eu, Tu, Eles), a film directed by Andrucha Waddington, starring Regina Casé, Stenio Garcia, Lima Duarte, and Luiz Carlos Vasconcelos. It takes place in the sertão. The sertão of Brazil is the backlands, which is in the Northeast of Brazil. The people who live in this part of Brazil have almost NO COMFORT. They work for almost nothing. Regina Casé plays Darlene de Lima Linhares, a fertile woman who acquires three husbands and four children, under the same roof. This film gets categorized as a comedy but it doesn't make me laugh. I take it seriously. Gilberto Gil composed the score, which complements the film exquisitely. This film opens your mind about the power of attraction and the interpretation of beauty.

2) City of Men (Cidade dos Homens)~ This started as a TV show which gathered much attention from Brazilian viewers. The producers decided to make a film on it. I didn't dislike the movie but I prefer the TV show. It's light-hearted and substantial. The same team who developed City of God produced this project. It's a separate set of characters, though. You will see many of the actors from City of God. Oh yes! Douglas Silva and Darlan Cunha star as Acerola and Laranjinha!!

3) Lower City (Cidade Baixa) ~ a film directed by Sérgio Machado, starring Alice Braga, Wagner Moura, and Lázaro Ramos. It's grimy and exciting. It's a xes triangle with Alice Braga as a prostitute who serves a pair of best friends, played by Wagner Moura and Lázaro Ramos. This film is set in the Lower City of Salvador, Bahia. Some reviews choose to write love triangle. Not me. I don't believe love glues these characters. It might be intimacy and xes but love? Nope!!!

4) The Second Mother (Que Horas Ela Volta?)~ Regina Casé again!! This time directed by Anna Muylaert!! Regina Casé plays Val, a cherished housekeeper who showers affection on the son of the house. His parents have great wealth and great turmoil. Val's daughter shows up so that she can pass an entrance to a prestigious university. This film occurs in the city of São Paulo. Val and her daughter, due to Val's departure from the Northeast, have a tense relationship. I laughed with this one and felt no shame or guilt. It's an earnest comedy. I saw this film at an arthouse cinema. A wondrous memory.

Forgive me for not presenting many TV shows but the Brazilian cinema holds greater caliber.

I want to add about Andrucha Waddington: Andrucha sounds feminine but Andrucha's a man. Andrucha means Big Andrew. I want people to know that.

If you don't find any of these titles in your library catalog, then you can find them on online shops.

Please tell me what you think of them. This would make fascinating discussion. Tchau!!
Thanks! I’ll have to wat h these. I think I watched City of Men (but it might’ve been City of God) before years ago but I’ll watch it again

oddjayblue

om gam ganapataye namaha
Reaction score
Reactions
1,527 74 7
Alleybux
Thanks! I’ll have to wat h these. I think I watched City of Men (but it might’ve been City of God) before years ago but I’ll watch it again
Irmandade (brotherhood) is really good on Netflix. There’s also sintonia too.
Boa sorte com seus estudos!

zansanchez

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
14,428 1,458 203
Alleybux

seriously watch everything, from telenovelas, movies to the news
love this, black orpheus

you will pick up stuff. (was surprised how much japanese i picked up just watching anime!)
make it fun or you wont stick w it
yes talk to yourself