Quantcast

Tired of teaching during a pandemic

Turn Up Tina

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
17,015 521 48
Alleybux
Y’all I’m loosing my motivation :( They’re constantly observing us telling me what I’m not doing right in my virtual learning space. Forcing guided reading on us! Like are you kidding me? I don’t mind small groups, but guided reading over a computer?!

The kids never do any work even when I give them AMPLE time during our live lessons to complete it. The parents claim their kids can’t get on to the site and it’s not their fault but they can be on tik tok and YouTube during class. Or they don’t “remember” what the book was about when we’ve been discussing the same book for weeks! I have parents literally doing their children’s work and answering for them during class. I have parents telling me what their kid will and won’t do and it’s usually the ones that need the help the most. It’s just ridiculous.

I’m just over teaching in this virtual space. It was hard enough in person with all the mandates and everything else but now I feel like it’s even harder. I get in trouble when admin says kids can’t access the material on the stupid platforms they force us to use.

I wanted to give the classroom another year before I transitioned but this year is making me rethink it. I knew I’d leave the classroom eventually and I’m in a doctoral program now for education policy but at this point it’s looking that’ll happen sooner rather than later smh. /rant

typicalvirgo19

The girl was bad. The girl was dangerous.
Reaction score
Reactions
94,183 1,921 174
Alleybux
I hear you sis. Virtual teaching is not ideal for anyone; teachers or students. Every time someone asks how virtual teaching is going, I tell them it's horrible, because it really is. It's so much harder in a virtual model. I've adjusted, but I don't like it.

Hang in there sis; we'll get through this.

flon25

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
51,638 1,930 267
Alleybux
I’m trying to get back in the field and I’m very nervous about virtual teaching for these exact reasons. I just don’t see how you can have good classroom management over a computer.

80sCapricorn

Capricorn Queen
Reaction score
Reactions
7,950 617 70
Alleybux
im a parent...i understand...these unmotivated a** kids dont make it any better...just try to make it through.

I have to constantly watch and wake my kids...its frustrating...

i told them they can repeat grade if needed

Fallbaby

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
GIRL I feel you. I’ve been looking for something else for the last few months. This is not for me anymore. The passion is gone and teaching is one of those jobs you have to have a passion for.

FloridaEvans

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
4,310 200 12
Alleybux
GIRL I feel you. I’ve been looking for something else for the last few months. This is not for me anymore. The passion is gone and teaching is one of those jobs you have to have a passion for.

Came in to say this very thing. I used to love teaching but it has definitely lost it’s appeal, especially being forced to teach during a pandemic. Even when the students were home the teachers still had to come to the school to teach on Zoom.

I want to figure out my second act and do something I won’t feel forced to do.

Turn Up Tina

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
17,015 521 48
Alleybux
I hear you sis. Virtual teaching is not ideal for anyone; teachers or students. Every time someone asks how virtual teaching is going, I tell them it's horrible, because it really is. It's so much harder in a virtual model. I've adjusted, but I don't like it.

Hang in there sis; we'll get through this.

Thanks love I appreciate that! It’s just so damn hard. Then on top of that stress, I’m in one of the districts that’s trying to force us back into the classroom without real precautions, covid be damned. We got this! It’s almost christmas break then June will be here before we know it.

I’m trying to get back in the field and I’m very nervous about virtual teaching for these exact reasons. I just don’t see how you can have good classroom management over a computer.

I honestly feel like the classroom management is easier in a virtual space because one wrong move, you’re getting removed from my call! Participation was iffy in the beginning but I have younger kids so I’ve been able to bribe them to participate.

im a parent...i understand...these unmotivated a** kids dont make it any better...just try to make it through.

I have to constantly watch and wake my kids...its frustrating...

i told them they can repeat grade if needed
We need more parents like you!! I’m all for doing whatever it takes for my students, pandemic or not but I need help from families. You wouldn’t believe these parents act like their kids are angels and always on top of their work but in class they’re logged in but not “present”. I’m trying to push through it’s just so hard, especially when admin is down my throat about test scores and standards.

flon25

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
51,638 1,930 267
Alleybux
Thanks love I appreciate that! It’s just so damn hard. Then on top of that stress, I’m in one of the districts that’s trying to force us back into the classroom without real precautions, covid be damned. We got this! It’s almost christmas break then June will be here before we know it.

I honestly feel like the classroom management is easier in a virtual space because one wrong move, you’re getting removed from my call! Participation was iffy in the beginning but I have younger kids so I’ve been able to bribe them to participate.

We need more parents like you!! I’m all for doing whatever it takes for my students, pandemic or not but I need help from families. You wouldn’t believe these parents act like their kids are angels and always on top of their work but in class they’re logged in but not “present”. I’m trying to push through it’s just so hard, especially when admin is down my throat about test scores and standards.

how do you bribe them?

Rere84

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
580,950 19,670 2,219
Alleybux
I can just imagine it being a nightmare......at least in person you as the teacher are not competing with stimuli that can distract the student, but now you have to deal with parents who probably have to deal with other kids doing virtual learning as well

Blessings to you OP

ChihulyGlass

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
26,600 1,464 715
Alleybux
Yes, I get parents who claim they can't access Zoom weekly. After I've told students several times the Board has changed schedules. So it's not my fault, you're logging onto Zoom at the wrong time. That's why "the meeting won't start." I've been handing out A's like water, I've still had parents to complain about me lol. Two complained that I gave their children an Incomplete for the nine weeks, even though both students report cards clearly stated that they had an A in my class for the nine weeks. The incompletes came from other teacher's classes and rightfully so. I confronted one of the parents that complained about her child getting an I in my class. After speaking with her on the telephone she laughed and said, "Oh I got a letter in the mail that said she had an I in my class. Oh I just realized I read the letter wrong. My bad"

I was livid. Again this is the second time a parent has called to the school FALSELY accusing me of giving their child and I, when they clearly have an A. The child doesn't even deserve an A. It was given to them by grace. Why are you all automatically assuming the Incomplete came from me, when your child has two to three Incompletes, but only four classes.

beautifull

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
18,130 401 784
Alleybux
The school should be smarter than that. If they so easily accept parents' complaints because of a bad grade, then kids should just teach themselves. It makes teachers just pass them through when they shouldn't.

beautifull

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
18,130 401 784
Alleybux

They have to take the test?

ChihulyGlass

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
26,600 1,464 715
Alleybux

I personally like virtual teaching. Before the pandemic I was stressed to the point of illness. The students were truly out of control. They broke the assistant principal's finger during a fight. A group of girls decided to jump a young lady. So they all ran into another teachers classroom, pulled the child out of her seat and beat her up right in the middle of class. I enjoyed having the blessing of working from the safety of my home. I didn't have to worry about kids coming into my room and jumping on other students. I gladly take the pressures of teaching from a distance, rather than dealing with unruly children in person.

As for Zoom management, do not worry about the little things. Pick and choose your battles. You are not going to make them behave perfectly in their own home. For instance if a child is out of control, turn off their microphone and camera. Don't say a word. Just turn it off. They'll get the picture depending on the age group. Just remember you don't know who is on the other side of that camera so don't go fussing and wake up "mama bear." Non negotiables when it comes to behavior is, the camera has to be on, no nudity, profanity, obscene backgrounds and jesters, no talking and playing music over your voice. You can remedy that by putting them all on mute and taking them off periodically to ask questions. I disabled the chat function on meetings. Also make sure you place the kids in the waiting room. That way if you have unwelcomed guest you can filter them out.
I have a rough bunch and my kids behaved. I have 9th through 12th. Mostly 9th graders. Just look out for things like Zoom bombing. Don't let anyone who is not on your roster in your class. If they have a strange name or something you don't recognize tell them to change the name. It they don't put them out the Zoom. Record all meetings and tell the kids they're being recording and the meetings go to the Board.

flon25

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
51,638 1,930 267
Alleybux
I personally like virtual teaching. Before the pandemic I was stressed to the point of illness. The students were truly out of control. They broke the assistant principal's finger during a fight. A group of girls decided to jump a young lady. So they all ran into another teachers classroom, pulled the child out of her seat and beat her up right in the middle of class. I enjoyed having the blessing of working from the safety of my home. I didn't have to worry about kids coming into my room and jumping on other students. I gladly take the pressures of teaching from a distance, rather than dealing with unruly children in person.

As for Zoom management, do not worry about the little things. Pick and choose your battles. You are not going to make them behave perfectly in their own home. For instance if a child is out of control, turn off their microphone and camera. Don't say a word. Just turn it off. They'll get the picture depending on the age group. Just remember you don't know who is on the other side of that camera so don't go fussing and wake up "mama bear." Non negotiables when it comes to behavior is, the camera has to be on, no nudity, profanity, obscene backgrounds and jesters, no talking and playing music over your voice. You can remedy that by putting them all on mute and taking them off periodically to ask questions. I disabled the chat function on meetings. Also make sure you place the kids in the waiting room. That way if you have unwelcomed guest you can filter them out.
I have a rough bunch and my kids behaved. I have 9th through 12th. Mostly 9th graders. Just look out for things like Zoom bombing. Don't let anyone who is not on your roster in your class. If they have a strange name or something you don't recognize tell them to change the name. It they don't put them out the Zoom. Record all meetings and tell the kids they're being recording and the meetings go to the Board.

very good advice. Thank you!

babybugz

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
68,556 2,226 892
Alleybux
I hate virtual learning. I am a teacher and my job requires me to monitor / supervise the children why they are in their virtual classes. They are constantly being kicked out of zoom or on youtube / tik tok. I am so over this sh!t.

flon25

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
51,638 1,930 267
Alleybux
I hate virtual learning. I am a teacher and my job requires me to monitor / supervise the children why they are in their virtual classes. They are constantly being kicked out of zoom or on youtube / tik tok. I am so over this sh!t.
I was thinking of applying for a job where you monitor the kids that are in person during remote learning. What do you do with the kids when they are kicked out?

babybugz

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
68,556 2,226 892
Alleybux
I was thinking of applying for a job where you monitor the kids that are in person during remote learning. What do you do with the kids when they are kicked out?

When they are kicked out of zoom I try to log them back in. Parents complain because a teacher says they missed a class. If the wifi is a mess I can't control that. There are teachers that are allowing the children to leave early too because they don't feel like teaching for the whole class...LOL!

ChihulyGlass

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
26,600 1,464 715
Alleybux
Well at least we all got a check this year. It could have gone really sour for some of us. For those of us that taught remotely, we got to teach from the safety of our homes, without facing the virus. Some of us got to stay with our kids. That is always a plus about being a teacher and parent. You're out when they're out.

Y'all I am telling you. Don't sweat that small snuff, because the alternative is worse. Like dying from the virus because you have to be in person. Worrying about your check. Eating at the food pantries. Don't try to control the kids. They are at home. You can't. Just let the functions of Zoom do there job. There is a mute button, a record button. You can turn cameras off, if a student is out of control. If they get kicked out of Zoom because of their Wi-Fi, that ain't got nothing to do with you. That is their house and Wi-Fi. You don't pay their bills. Record your Zoom, upload it to the online platform you're using like Schoology, the School website or whatever. Then let the babies look at that class at their leisure. Write a message that you record your classes.

SimplyCiCi

Why are you so obsessed?
Reaction score
Reactions
61,205 2,246 1,344
Alleybux
Late response: I record for the week on Nearpod. First 5-15 is a Gimkit review of reading or vocabulary. Next 20 is teaching and review. Last bit is reminder, review, etc.