Quantcast

Travelers, of all the countries you visited, who had the WORST & BEST food?

Urbest

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
214,130 11,494 3,304
Alleybux
I’ll go first:

Best: It’s a tie between London, UK & Cairo, Egypt.
In London, the food i had was consistently good and flavorful. Note that in London, I mostly ate ethnic foods such as Jamaican and Italian. This Italian place near Covenant Garden had bomb Italian food, the pasta dish was fresh and flavorful. We also had peri peri chicken that was good. At a Jamaican spot, the ackee and salt fish and dumplings were everything. In London, there’s a lot of options for ethnic foods since it’s diverse. Didn’t have a bad meal the whole time I was there.

Next is Egypt. The way foods are set up is lots of little side dishes and then the meat will be the main attraction. So, you have various dishes (usually vegetarian) of spicy cheese dish, some cream bean dip, hummus, tahini, various eggplant dishes cooked with spices, sambousa filled with cheese and chives. And then you have the puffy thin white bread to mop up all the dishes. And then you hav grilled meats such as chicken, fish, fatty beef kabob, etc. The fruits are honey sweet and juicy - made with no chemicals. The juices are freshly made, sweet and refreshing. A lot of the small side dishes are Medditarian in flavor but more flavorful. There is a restaurant called The flying fish at the Nike and the food was bomb.com I went with a group and all of us thought the food was excellent.

Honorable mention: iceland. I know Iceland cuisine isn’t internationally revered but it surprisingly exceeded my expectations. Now, the more modern Icelandic food is delicious, it’s very fresh and high quality. The icee cream too is very creamy, not overly sweet. I would say the food is overall just high quality. Even the pizza there doesn’t taste like the pizza in the states.

The worst food I had was Morrocan. For dinner, the traditional food is a lot of veggie based sauces to accompany the main attraction which is some type of meat or tangine but I found it overall bland. They also have a lot of couscous with veggies served with a meat. Unexpectedly, the best food I had there was Italian spaghetti that sh!t hit.

RedGem

Essential Essence
Reaction score
Reactions
10,523 369 49
Alleybux
I hate to say it but, Jamaica was the worst food i've had. The chicken foot, the ox tails, the red snapper on my plate staring back at me...ya girl was hungry for 2 weeks. I can't think of anything that has stood out on my travels just yet. I know if Portugal hadn't gotten cancelled last year, I would've been at a friend's house again this time, but food probably would've been delicious!!

Ms. PrettyMac

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
11,446 328 52
Alleybux
I thoroughly enjoyed everything I ate in Costa Rica, so fresh and chemical free! Even the most basic dishes such as arroz con pollo was amazing.
I don’t have a worst but I will say I was disappointed by the food in St. Thomas, the flavor wasn’t there for me.

Kingshady

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
15,670 1,125 1,075
Alleybux
Puerto Rico...their fried foods were good but I never got a clear idea of what there true cultural cuisines were.

Arrcadiaa

HYPNOTIZED WITH HATRED
Reaction score
Reactions
85,300 2,211 1,076
Alleybux
I have to agree with London having great food. Italy is up there too but I cannot decide since I’ve been throughout Latin America and our food just hit different. Brasil and Mexico just was great.

Worse food?

I didn’t eat much French food when I was in France. Even though they have the best bakeries in the world. Thing us I never eat at bad places due to me yelping and going to local eateries. I had the best Turkish food in Paris though, it was delicious.

BrintaWakeUp

telling fonts to MOVE eastwards if they desire it
Reaction score
Reactions
26,262 804 904
Alleybux
Portugal was the best IMO. The flavours, the fresh seafood dishes, the pricing!! All of it was really good and I will definetly visit Portugal again. It was fun 10/10 would recommend. Rabbit, duck, tuna, mussles, lobster, big ass shrimp. Baaaaaaybe, I'm drooling again because it was sooooooooooooöoooooooo GOOD!

My 'worst" would be Hungary or Czech Republic. It's not that the food was bad, it's just that it wasn't very exciting.

Last edited:

Peoniesinspring

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
35,884 2,156 492
Alleybux
There were plenty of food options in Bali; vegan vegetarian, steaks etc etc and very good quality too but I am only interested in local food when I travel. As a result, Balinese food was rank. Nasi goreng, nasi campur, mie goreng. That's it. Dull and boring.

I rarely eat Thai food at home but the food in Thailand was the best in the world. I love the fact that some foods come in different versions like pad thai. I never had a bad meal in Thailand.

My last proper holiday before Covid was Sicily. The quality of food was outstanding. Everything was fresh and cheap; fish, vegetables, fruit totally cheap and first class. We had our own air b&b's and cooked and ate like Kings. When we ventured out there was pistachio granita, gelato, cannoli, fresh yummy pizzas, pasta and seafood. I wept. I thought Naples was the best for Italian food but Sicily was out of this world.

angelxox

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
2,131 30 7
Alleybux
Lol I'm a Londoner and thought you meant English food so was preparing my disgusted response (I do like an english breakfast though lol). But agreed, one thing I do love about the city is the diverse food options.

Liked:
Barbados!! the food was bomb. I don't think I was disappointed once while I was there. Oistins fish fry is a great spot with multiple food outlets.

Morocco - I personally really liked the lamb tagine dish especially !

Didn't like:
Hungary/Budapest... Didn't really like anything apart from their chimney cakes. My friends and I were so disappointed lmaoo, we ended up going to mcds after most restaurant visits & I rarely even go to mcds in my own city :( .

lameur4

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
13,927 1,488 210
Alleybux
Mexico the food there just has a certain freshness. I’m not talking about the all inclusive Cancun food neither. I’m talking about the food in Puerto Morelos, Playa Del Carmen, Tulum. Not the fancy spots but the unassuming one. I’m very much local and low key when I visit. I’ve even ended places... that I was later told I shouldn’t go. But I never had an issue. I love the mom & pop taco stands while driving to tulum! I always here people say they got sick. I got to Mexico twice a year. I live locally amongst the people and do not speak Spanish. I’ve never had a problem.

Then I’d give it to Colombia. So many flavors. So much earthy and soulful food. Hated the coffee tho!

Bermuda has more of a lackluster menu. All type of restaurants. Although I ate wooha until I turned into that fish (very good btw). Nothing impressed me.

Lastly, I’ll give it to Canada! I don’t even want to go into detail. Majority of their menu is subpar and overly mixed. I did enjoy a few Bao’s is Quebec’s China town section.

Blacbutterfly81

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
4,303 204 95
Alleybux
One of the best places I had food was in Rome every meal was great ( as I'm jamaican descent I wont pick Jamaican) the worse place for me was Amsterdam very bland

Funny Boo Hoo

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
179 6
Alleybux
Portugal and South Africa hands down! full of flavour, well seasoned, lots of different options.

A.L.I.

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
126,774 2,278 784
Alleybux
I hate to say it but, Jamaica was the worst food i've had. The chicken foot, the ox tails, the red snapper on my plate staring back at me...ya girl was hungry for 2 weeks. I can't think of anything that has stood out on my travels just yet. I know if Portugal hadn't gotten cancelled last year, I would've been at a friend's house again this time, but food probably would've been delicious!!
Ox tails are delicious!!!! Wow seems like you were intimidated by the way they looked and it affected your experience. I only say that because you said they were staring back at you. Strange choice of words to describe food. I understand though because if something looks gross, I don't want a eat it.

RedGem

Essential Essence
Reaction score
Reactions
10,523 369 49
Alleybux
Ox tails are delicious!!!! Wow seems like you were intimidated by the way they looked and it affected your experience. I only say that because you said they were staring back at you. Strange choice of words to describe food. I understand though because if something looks gross, I don't want a eat it.
Yes the appearance and the flavors. I'm also not a diverse seafood eater. Then the yam...the yam was like a urinal cake. I kid you not.

May Flowers

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
312,518 9,448 972
Alleybux
Cuba by far had the worst food. Canadians visit there all the time because it's a pretty cheap place to go to, but the food is horrible! I guess the embargo causes them to now have any spices to add to the food, so everything is just bland and they eat a lot of pork. Most people I know have been and they always say "the food is terrible" but the beaches are beautiful and the people are so nice.

Best food for me is Jamaica. I always gain a good 5 to 10 lbs when I visit there. Chicago also has some amazing food. I've been a few times and its always a wonderful food experience. I had a cornbread there that I still dream about. So many great memories.

Livingit88

Team Owner
Time Out
Reaction score
Reactions
596,718 32,999 3,295
Alleybux
Turkey and Morocco had the best food- both had delicious spices and I love the way they barbecue and grill their meat. Worst for me was Germany- the food was also bland as hell to me.

Timey Wimey

Cosmonaut Noir
Reaction score
Reactions
7,320 135 34
Alleybux
I am Caribbean, therefore, I will not include any Caribbean countries.

BEST: Vietnam ( fresh seafood, good ingredients, variety); Ethiopia (curries, bits, stews, lots of good vegetarian choices); Tanzania (Zanzibar pizza, Chipis maya--OMG!, Seafood...really loved mchuzi wa samaki); Sicily (Squid Ink pasta...I died and went to heaven, mostly everything else); Osaka (go to Dotonburi you will not be disappointed); JoBerg, SA ( They have the meats! seriously, if you like protein SA is the place to go...spiced just right).

WORST: Amsterdam (apparently they are allergic to seasoning, bland food); UK (London was okay but overall I found I was happiest if I wasn't eating traditional english food...not good. Bland City Founder...I see there is a theme here :sneaky: ); Paris (too many sauces and not really good overall, other parts of France A+-B+, would recommend Lyon, Bordeaux, and Dijon rather than Paris).

wonderstar

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
33,794 1,941 1,504
Alleybux
Worst - Czech Republic

Not as good as anticipated - Cuba. Tbf they are limited in what they have in the country so can't fault it.

Best - Thailand/India - not one bad meal.

spacecitygrl

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
33,742 1,732 54
Alleybux
Worst: English food. I mostly ate Indian food when I was there.
Best: Denmark. The freshest and most innovative seafood dishes I've ever had. I plan on moving there permanently in the future.

Mrs.Giroud

RIP Cheverly 4.17.23
Reaction score
Reactions
111,418 4,132 1,281
Alleybux
Worst:
1. England
2. Canada
3. Haitian (sorry, not sorry)
4. Hong Kong
5. Kenya
Best:
1. Japan
2. Thailand
3. Vietnam
4. Bahamas
5.Jamaica
6. Morocco

Mavis Gary

Young Adult
Reaction score
Reactions
69,362 1,698 714
Alleybux
I’ll go first:

Best: It’s a tie between London, UK & Cairo, Egypt.
In London, the food i had was consistently good and flavorful. Note that in London, I mostly ate ethnic foods such as Jamaican and Italian. This Italian place near Covenant Garden had bomb Italian food, the pasta dish was fresh and flavorful. We also had peri peri chicken that was good. At a Jamaican spot, the ackee and salt fish and dumplings were everything. In London, there’s a lot of options for ethnic foods since it’s diverse. Didn’t have a bad meal the whole time I was there.

Next is Egypt. The way foods are set up is lots of little side dishes and then the meat will be the main attraction. So, you have various dishes (usually vegetarian) of spicy cheese dish, some cream bean dip, hummus, tahini, various eggplant dishes cooked with spices, sambousa filled with cheese and chives. And then you have the puffy thin white bread to mop up all the dishes. And then you hav grilled meats such as chicken, fish, fatty beef kabob, etc. The fruits are honey sweet and juicy - made with no chemicals. The juices are freshly made, sweet and refreshing. A lot of the small side dishes are Medditarian in flavor but more flavorful. There is a restaurant called The flying fish at the Nike and the food was bomb.com I went with a group and all of us thought the food was excellent.

Honorable mention: iceland. I know Iceland cuisine isn’t internationally revered but it surprisingly exceeded my expectations. Now, the more modern Icelandic food is delicious, it’s very fresh and high quality. The icee cream too is very creamy, not overly sweet. I would say the food is overall just high quality. Even the pizza there doesn’t taste like the pizza in the states.

The worst food I had was Morrocan. For dinner, the traditional food is a lot of veggie based sauces to accompany the main attraction which is some type of meat or tangine but I found it overall bland. They also have a lot of couscous with veggies served with a meat. Unexpectedly, the best food I had there was Italian spaghetti that sh!t hit.

haha my friends didn’t enjoy our meals in,Morocco but I surprisingly did! And I’m not an adventurous eater or foodie at all so it was a big surprise.

sonoko

One Truth Prevails
Reaction score
Reactions
113,108 2,983 750
Alleybux
Korea and Japan had some amazing food (especially Tokyo and seoul). I don't really like Japanese food besides ramen and a few others but they had some really nice areas that had ethic food. I had some amazing Indian food and there was a Caribbean festival there when I went that had some good food.

Korea had some good food. We went to itaewon which is where everyone who is foreign basically lives and have restaurants and there was this Indian food place that I will say had the best Indian food I ever had! Turns out the chef studied in India and brought it back to South Korea. It was so good there was this Indian lady who said she needed to talk to the chef (she was speaking English so I could understand but the waiters couldn't lol).
They also do Korean Fried chicken! That was so good I want to go back just for that. I also like the spices in Korean food.

Worst would be- maybe China? I went to 5 different cities back in 2010. Thing is I was very picky about food back then and I didn't end up eating much over there. Though it could be argued that there are places that just could be found with good food. I was part of a tour group though so they just took us to restaurants they recommended. On the other trips I was exploring by myself and not as picky about food.

I haven't been anywhere in Europe and the other countries I have visited have been cruise ports so I didn't get to spend say 3 months or 2 weeks like the other Asian countries.

Urbest

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
214,130 11,494 3,304
Alleybux
Cuba by far had the worst food. Canadians visit there all the time because it's a pretty cheap place to go to, but the food is horrible! I guess the embargo causes them to now have any spices to add to the food, so everything is just bland and they eat a lot of pork. Most people I know have been and they always say "the food is terrible" but the beaches are beautiful and the people are so nice.

Best food for me is Jamaica. I always gain a good 5 to 10 lbs when I visit there. Chicago also has some amazing food. I've been a few times and its always a wonderful food experience. I had a cornbread there that I still dream about. So many great memories.
To add to what you said, Cuba was a hit and miss for me. And I do think not having access to certain ingredients results in some of, a lot of the food being bland. I still rank it above Morrocoo, because I barely liked anything there. At least in Cuba, there were a few decent dishes. But for good Cuban food, really Miami is where one should go. Honestly, the best meals I had in Cuba were the breakfast at this older woman's house. She would have a nice spread for only 5 CUC = $5. She would have coffee, milk, freshly made juice, various fruits, puffy bread, eggs w/ hotdog, and a home made dessert.

Motormouth

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
3,012 63 16
Alleybux
Mexico the food there just has a certain freshness. I’m not talking about the all inclusive Cancun food neither. I’m talking about the food in Puerto Morelos, Playa Del Carmen, Tulum. Not the fancy spots but the unassuming one. I’m very much local and low key when I visit. I’ve even ended places... that I was later told I shouldn’t go. But I never had an issue. I love the mom & pop taco stands while driving to tulum! I always here people say they got sick. I got to Mexico twice a year. I live locally amongst the people and do not speak Spanish. I’ve never had a problem.

Then I’d give it to Colombia. So many flavors. So much earthy and soulful food. Hated the coffee tho!

Bermuda has more of a lackluster menu. All type of restaurants. Although I ate wooha until I turned into that fish (very good btw). Nothing impressed me.

Lastly, I’ll give it to Canada! I don’t even want to go into detail. Majority of their menu is subpar and overly mixed. I did enjoy a few Bao’s is Quebec’s China town section.
Would you mind if I dm’d you about Mexico? I don’t know a lick of Spanish but want to visit Mexico City on my own and would love to know your experiences.

Sin Verguenza

BigTFromTheGroupHome
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
184,800 2,578 1,102
Alleybux
I only ate there once, but the best fried chicken and a Johnny cake I've ever had was from a random shack on the side of the road in St. John's USVI

wonderstar

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
33,794 1,941 1,504
Alleybux
Worst: English food. I mostly ate Indian food when I was there.
Best: Denmark. The freshest and most innovative seafood dishes I've ever had. I plan on moving there permanently in the future.
The food in Copenhagen was incredible. I went two years back to back. Definitely feel you on living there. Only thing I didn't like is I got a sense of uniformity/conformity from the Danes. Like even down to the way they dress.

spacecitygrl

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
33,742 1,732 54
Alleybux
The food in Copenhagen was incredible. I went two years back to back. Definitely feel you on living there. Only thing I didn't like is I got a sense of uniformity/conformity from the Danes. Like even down to the way they dress.
I feel 'ya. You can definitely get a sense of conformity; especially in the fashion. If you decide to go back, if you haven't already check out Christiana. It's an eclectic area and a diverse group of folks hang out there.

wonderstar

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
33,794 1,941 1,504
Alleybux
I feel 'ya. You can definitely get a sense of conformity; especially in the fashion. If you decide to go back, if you haven't already check out Christiana. It's an eclectic area and a diverse group of folks hang out there.

:) I did go there, loved it but the vibe was too young for me.

inacloud

In memory of Cheverly - gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
Reactions
12,120 162 30
Alleybux
Worst (not necessarily in order):
- New Zealand - beautiful country, awful and overpriced food. Good fresh fish though.
- Not to beat a dead horse, but traditional English food
- Peru - I was very disappointed by the food here. The quinoa soup was amazing though.
- Argentina - Beef is good if cooked right at the right places, otherwise the cuisine was mostly poor imitations of European food, namely Italian.

Best:
- India - didn't care for the country but didn't have a bad meal there
- Vietnam
- Thailand

anaisnin

Semi-Retired, Still Messy
Reaction score
Reactions
259,469 4,844 1,260
Alleybux
Cali for best food. Even take out was superior. I live in NYC now and it’s awful. Fine dining is ok but unlike L.A. or SF you can’t just pop into a hole in the wall and discover something magnificent. The food just isn't fresh in NY, they barely season anything and fast dining use grease as a flavoring. I just can’t get used to it. The pizza’s fine but we had great pizza in L.A. too, they even imported some of the ingredients from NY. The good isn’t authentic either, I shouldn’t have to go to Chinatown or Flushing to find proper Chinese food. I’m going to say it - Mexicans work the kitchens better in Cali vs whoever is BOH in NY.

Great food: Dublin, Spain, Italy, Sydney, Provence, Hong Kong

Worst: Moscow, Eastern Europe as a whole, Denmark unless you stick to purely modern fare, American south (excluding N.O.)

Jace

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
17,553 2,009 4,488
Alleybux
Worst: London, by far

Best: Puerto Rico, but off the beaten path. Not mainstream PR, it was in Luquillo

Been to Jamaica but Jamaica is different bc it’s all resort food. Great food but I honestly don’t remember it.

Bonus: Paris’ baking lives up to the hype. The best quiche I ever had. I got something from a random cafe that was sitting in the storefront wasn’t even made to order and I’ve never tasted a crust like that. So I can only imagine what a fresh restaurant one would be like

lameur4

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
13,927 1,488 210
Alleybux
I was gonna stay with countries like the title but since everyone is stating states.....

NO ONE IS TOUCHING VEGAS! Man idk what it is (it’s not the liquor cause I don’t drink) but VEGAS HAS THE BEST FOOD in the states.
I’ve been to almost every state in the country. I’m always a local traveler. Also a legit food critic. So I judge food off of many things. And babyyyyyy Vegas. *my mouth is just watering writing about it.

Im not impressed with NYC and I’m a native. Jersey has a few spots. I’m also a southern girl by experience. Been in the south since I was kid. I’m first generation Jamaican so I take food serious. And I like eating out. Wether it’s cheap eats or fine dining.

Last edited:

OlliexAngel

Manifesting my Dreams
Reaction score
Reactions
47,791 4,831 2,064
Alleybux
New Zealand and Guatemala were not good. I was missing the food in the U.S. so much when I was at both places.

thatghchick

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
8,994 125 8
Alleybux
Worst : Lisbon, so much blandness my goodness. I was like dang what do they have against spices?? Amazing weather but not going back anytime soon

Best: Thailand (Chiang Mai) from basic restaurants to high end, everything banged! Thai cuisine is now honestly one of my favourites

2nd place: Toronto. My best friend lives here so we went to all the tried and tested places - amazing tacos, Rasta pasta!! (deep sigh!), waffles, greek grilled sandwiches you name it

Surprising contender - Dubrovnik, Croatia - I wasn’t expecting much so ended up delightfully surprised. Had the best squid ink pasta dish; I had to have it twice. Went somewhere new last minute for my birthday dinner and everything was soo good. There was this oxtail and cheese dish that I initially side eyed but turned out to be incredible

Unsurprising contender lol - Italy. Visited Florence, Rome and Bologna and everything was good. Incredible gelato too, of course

Worth noting that I’m a big foodie so good food makes or breaks travel destinations for me. I’m also that person that needs to see reviews before they eat somewhere lol

Exfactor

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
16,397 1,473 387
Alleybux
Best:

Vietnamese - Top best Ive had. The variation of spices and flavors was amazing. I still think of the green pepper and crab noodle dish I had at the food market in Ho Chi Minh. So well put together.

Mexican - Local and genuine food that I had at Isla Holbox. I was in heaven!

Argentina - For the steaks obviously. Although they don't use spices or season the meat.

China - Don't know if it's the best but I throughly enjoyed the hot pots, and the peking duck and the spicy fish dishes I had. AND it's so damn cheap, had the best hot pots for 2-3 dollars, no joke. A 3 course dinner with drinks at a high end restaurant was like 30 USD.

I would also rank cities like London and Dubai for the variation of restaurants.

Worst:

Not a fan of typical german food and Eastern European food (different bratwurst such as curry wurst and saukerkraut etc). Basically the only food from this region that I enjoy is a nice schnitzel.