Quantcast

Tyka Talks about the London Exhibit

BedtimeStories

Only Prince knows for sure.
Reaction score
Reactions
50,009 551 114
Alleybux
The first official exhibition about Prince is to open in London and will feature hundreds of artefacts that have never before left his private estate of Paisley Park in Minneapolis, the Standard can reveal.

The late star’s sister Tyka Nelson chose the capital as she believes it was his favourite city outside of his native US.

My Name Is Prince will open at The O2 in October, next to the arena where he performed for 21 consecutive nights in 2007 — a record to this day.

Tyka, 57, who is Prince’s only remaining full-blood relative, said: “London was the city that accepted Prince the most. It was the obvious choice of where we should exhibit first, it just felt right.”

Fans will be able to see items including the orange Cloud guitar made for his Super Bowl halftime performance and during his London shows in 2007. There will also be clothing from his 1984-85 Purple Rain tour, his 1988-89 LoveSexy tour and the Gibson L65 guitar he used for his national television debut in 1980.

Tyka revealed: “There are lots of never-before-seen articles that my brother had stored over the years, and it will be the first time they have ever left Paisley Park.

“The stand out piece for me is his orange Cloud guitar. It is strange because people always associate the colour purple with Prince, but his favourite colour was actually orange.”

Prince’s sprawling Paisley Park complex was built in 1988 and includes live music venues, recording space and living quarters. The star was found dead in a lift at the property in April last year after an accidental drug overdose.

He did not leave a will, which has resulted in an ongoing legal battle over his estate.

Tyka said: “Prince wanted to open up Paisley Park as a museum for his fans. He would talk through his plans a lot when I was there with him — he would walk through saying, ‘I want this to be here’, ‘I want people to be able to see this here’. He’d talked about it from when he first bought the building.

“There are so many pieces there — it has taken time to put this exhibition together. It has taken this long because of the way the estate was left — and that is still an ongoing thing.”

Prince was an intensely private person away from the stage, although Tyka insisted that he was not like this with those who knew him well.

She added: “To his family, he was a completely different Prince. He would talk openly about his relationships, his plans, his music, his feelings. He wanted to keep his private life private. If you look at people like Beyoncé, she shares so much with her fans.

“But if you can keep things private, you always have a place to be when you leave the stage.

“The most important thing to him was his music and that’s what he wanted you to know about.”

cloud-guitar-prince.jpg

Flying high: Prince's Cloud guitar, in orange, which he played at the Superbowl

Paisley Park contains a fabled vault in which Prince stored thousands of hours of unreleased studio material, entire albums, live recordings and video footage. Tyka said he always intended to release it, adding: “It was always his wish to make all of the material made public, and I will do everything in my power to make sure his wish comes true.”

Earlier this year, it was announced that a deal had been reached with Universal Music Group to release the material.

My Name Is Prince will open for 21 days from October 26. Tickets go on sale on Friday at 9am from mynameisprince.co.uk

lavie

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
3,006 35 10
Alleybux
Ermmm I believe his real favorite color was canary yellow but now I don't know what to believe lol

BedtimeStories

Reaction score
Reactions
50,009 551 114
Alleybux
In my experience, a person's favorite color changes throughout their life (usually depending on what chakra they happen to be dealing with/expressing).

Ermmm I believe his real favorite color was canary yellow but now I don't know what to believe lol

Shockadelica

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
2,125 24 2
Alleybux

And I heard it was cobalt blue. I think he had us all fooled. His favorite color was probably something like brown or beige. LOL... who knows? :blush:

Shockadelica

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
2,125 24 2
Alleybux
In my experience, a person's favorite color changes throughout their life (usually depending on what chakra they happen to be dealing with/expressing).

I agree. Throughout my childhood I just loved hunter green, but as I grew older I began to favor brighter greens. Kelly green has been my favorite shade since.

BedtimeStories

Reaction score
Reactions
50,009 551 114
Alleybux
I started off with pale blue and now love white or tan. I've never liked the strong colors - red, orange, or yellow in particular.

I agree. Throughout my childhood I just loved hunter green, but as I grew older I began to favor brighter greens. Kelly green has been my favorite shade since.

mrsL

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
10,777 217 25
Alleybux

I can believe this. As a little girl my favorite color was pink. In my late teens through most of my 20's it was red. For the longest time it was purple and now I seem to be drawn to blue.

3121berry

U gotta shake something!!
Reaction score
Reactions
12,565 220 30
Alleybux
In my opinion because Prince was an artist who used palettes of color to express himself. Even though he leaned into purple which is his signature color.
Prince also played with shade, black, white and grey.

Tgal73

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
57,774 949 227
Alleybux
Here's what his former costume designer had to say

View attachment 32207

She's right. I've gone through phases where I gravitate towards certain colors more, and my favorite color has changed at different points in my life. But when I look back, since I've become an adult, it's always been a variation of green. My point is, your favorite color can change at different points in your life.

nursev

Butterscotch Pimp
Reaction score
Reactions
87,403 984 1,276
Alleybux
sh!t I thought it was Black... I know mines is lol and he looked great in black

nursev

Butterscotch Pimp
Reaction score
Reactions
87,403 984 1,276
Alleybux
In my opinion because Prince was an artist who used palettes of color to express himself. Even though he leaned into purple which is his signature color.
Prince also played with shade, black, white and grey.
yep the shade thing...he did

3121berry

U gotta shake something!!
Reaction score
Reactions
12,565 220 30
Alleybux

Tess7

Everybody knows when love calls you gotta go
Reaction score
Reactions
6,775 32 9
Alleybux
sh!t I thought it was Black... I know mines is lol and he looked great in black
Gurl he looked good in any color. I tend to favor those white pants. I'm just saying. :b26

24Seven

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
94,132 1,351 302
Alleybux
lol at the sisters' disagreeing over this. I think Prince probably went thru phases where he was into one color or one range of colors more than others. Nothing strange about that. I've had at least 7 different "favorite colors" since a was a tot.

None of them orange tho. So that was a surprise. lol

Jacksplat

Unreleased Version
Reaction score
Reactions
6,312 438 719
Alleybux
May of '16 I actually saw the video of him in the teal outfit above on YT. The way those pants fit him and the cute look on his face over the stuffed bunnies, I almost couldn't watch he looked so damn good. Wish I had that vid now.