Quantcast

UK Black Unemployment rate is 41.6%. Highest it has ever been.

licoricebish

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
36,312 987 131
Alleybux
Yep! We could have had a really good discussion here
It’s quite frustrating living in the uk I can’t lie because we don’t realise how our mindsets are deeply effecting us. Drip culture, lack of open mindedness , and taking on the London stank attitude (referring to how unwelcoming Londoners are compared to everyone else which just breeds negative energy) are some of the few things that effects us internally.
We already know about the racism - institutionalised, micro aggressions, etc so let’s work on ourselves too.

popes

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
130 23 30
Alleybux
Employment here is tough. Often a darker complexion can be considered undesireable to certain companies and their coprorate "culture"

Reaction score
Reactions
5,449 354 374
Alleybux
The best thing for us as black people is to start our own businesses
Unfortunately it is not economically feasible for every black person (or any other group) to build a profitable business. The global economy relies on workers (employees).

Black entrepreneurship is important, but it's also important for us campaign for equality and call out racism in the workplace and in hiring and interviewing processes (whenever it is safe to do so). We have to keep fighting for equal treatment.

SAILORMOON23

Mama Joyce's tired wig
Reaction score
Reactions
14,316 614 164
Alleybux
and some of yall have the nerve to be worried about black UK men dating and marrying out ... be glad not mad, you don't have to deal with the dust and trash bags.

sorry I recently discovered Cynthia G :cry
Way to love, you could have saved that comment for another thread. Grown Black men and black women/teens need to work to survive. High unemployment works against the black UK citizens.

SAILORMOON23

Mama Joyce's tired wig
Reaction score
Reactions
14,316 614 164
Alleybux

Young black workers are three times as likely to be jobless as whites with more than 41 per cent unemployed - as high as time of Brixton riots​

Young black workers are three times as likely to be unemployed as white workers, with more than 40 per cent without jobs in further damning evidence of the harm done to the economy by coronavirus lockdowns.

Between October and December last year, 41.6 per cent of black people aged 16 to 24 were jobless - the highest rate since the 2008-09 financial crisis, according to figures from the Office for National Statistics (ONS).

The black youth unemployment rate was equivalent to the early 1980s, when the Brixton riots broke out. Meanwhile, joblessness among white workers stood at around 12 per cent, the Guardian reports.

Before the pandemic, between January and March 2020, 10 per cent of young white workers were jobless compared with 25.3 per cent of young black people.

Between October and December last year, 41.6 per cent of black people aged 16 to 24 were unemployed. Before the pandemic, between January and March 2020, 10 per cent of young white workers were jobless compared with 25.3 per cent of young black people

Between October and December last year, 41.6 per cent of black people aged 16 to 24 were unemployed. Before the pandemic, between January and March 2020, 10 per cent of young white workers were jobless compared with 25.3 per cent of young black people

ONS figures show that the jobless rate among young black people shot up by 64.4 per cent compared with 17 per cent for their white counterparts nine months on.

Economists fear that young black people are bearing the brunt of the Covid-19 economic crisis and are warning of the high risk of 'hyper-cyclical unemployment' for young people black people which would cause jobless rates to rise higher for ethnic minority communities than white people.

It comes two weeks after the Government's derided race disparity report said that the pay gap between minority ethnic and white workers was currently at its lowest level in nearly a decade, at 2.3 per cent.

In 1981, the year of the Brixton riots, 18.7 per cent of young black people were unemployed compared with 17.2 per cent of young white people, according to an analysis of the General Household Survey.

A year later, the rate shot up to 41.8 per cent for young black people compared with 22.9 per cent for their white counterparts.

Sarah Arnold, a senior economist at the New Economics Foundation, said young minority ethnic workers were already disproportionately likely to be in less secure employment before the pandemic.

Halima Begum, the director of the Runnymede Trust, told the Guardian she was 'absolutely appalled' by the figures and called on the Government to acknowledge major 'employment fragility' in BAME communities,.

The ONS said the data was weighted to official population projections from 2018, contained estimates of the number of 16- to 24-year-olds in the labour market and was not seasonally adjusted.

A government spokesperson said: 'Before the pandemic we had made solid progress on lifting the employment rate to a record high for ethnic minorities, helping close the unemployment gap, and we remain committed to these efforts.

'Our Plan for Jobs is playing an important role in giving young people from all backgrounds a helping hand on their journey back to employment, whether it's creating over 150,000 jobs through the Kickstart Scheme… or by recruiting an extra 13,500 new Work Coaches.'

Cliffs:

a.The Black-British unemployment rate for black people in the UK between the 16-24 years old is 41.6%, the highest it has ever been.
b.The White-British unemployment rate for white people in the UK between the 16-24 years old is only 12%
c.The explanation the report had for the high black unemployment rate, is the report said black people were in less secure jobs to begin with
d .Report recommends the government to look into this and do something about the high black unemployment rate.
That's sucks. If foreigners can work in London, then the UK citizens should be employed first. Is there any developed European country that has good opportunities for the educated black population ?

HoneyBabe

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
24,365 1,463 739
Alleybux
I love/hate when stats come out because it defies everyone’s pretences online. If you were on black British twitter, you’d think everyone was on at least 50k and buying homes in London. No ones being honest. Once everyone stops fronting, we can actually talk about how we’re going to navigate as a unit and create something our children can thrive with because it’s about to be a dark phase in the UK soon. I say this as an employed home owner.
Pretense is the in thing

Nnenaya

Writer.Conservative.Adventure Capitalist.
Reaction score
Reactions
4,353 686 676
Alleybux
As well as black people being in unsecure jobs like retail etc, I'm sure this plays into more secure jobs too. Who does management decide to let go of first? Does the black person go because they'd typically have less experience than white employees? Does the black person go because they'd typically have a lower level role in the company overall, so is less valuable?

We already know black people have to apply for jobs up to 10 times more than white people to before they even get an interview, so it's all a domino effect. We're probably less likely to get the job, therefore less likely to have sufficient experience, therefore less likely to be promoted into senior roles.
Unsecure is not a word that exisit in English vocab. It's INsecure.

MrBlkUK200

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
4,684 1,373 1,842
Alleybux
The difference in the UK is that they are SUPER POLITE with their racism. I work driving heavy machinery on building

Swear to god. The amount times this is happened to me. Like all the time

"Hi. I'm just replying to the application you sent for the Dumper Driver job, Can you start Monday ?"

"Yeah sure"

"Great. You need to send me birth cetificate, passport, and Licence and we shold be able to get you on site on monday"

"OK. I'll email then to you now"

So I send the email and I get this

giphy.gif

Just nothing.

So I do what the job center says "Well you know you have to show them that you are keen, Phone them up. They may have forgot. That will show them that you are keen"

So I do that (Knowing full well what the result with will be)

"Oh Hi. Yes we got your licence, passport and birth certficate but we are just waiting on the assessment and when the assessment is done. We will get bk to you"

That's code for "FK OFF N&GGA"

And to be honest you don't even deal with the firm that you will work for. It's these white women in recruitment. They are the ones who shut the door on your first.

Last edited:

sophiasofi

For half a minute there wasn't a sound.
Reaction score
Reactions
333,249 12,152 6,801
Alleybux
The difference in the UK is that they are SUPER POLITE with their racism. I work driving heavy machinery on building

"Hi. I'm just replying to the application you sent for the Dumper Driver job, Can you start Monday ?"

"Yeah sure"

"Great. You need to send me birth cetificate, passport, and Licence and we shold be able to get you on site on monday"

giphy.gif

Just nothing.

So I do what the job center says "Well you know you have to show them that you are keen, Phone them up. They may have forgot. That will show them that you are keen"

"Oh Hi. Yes we got your licence, passport and birth certficate but we are just waiting on the assessment and when the assessment is done. We will get bk to you"

And to be honest you don't even deal with the firm that you will work for. It's these white women in recruitment. They are the ones who shut the door on your first.
That's not polite. It's still rude because you did not get the job--at least this is how a typical American would think in this situation.

This is the main reason why the actual NUMBERS matter. Not people's attitude towards you but the numbers as far as who they are hiring.

LeChatNoir

Lurker Supreme
Reaction score
Reactions
61,866 5,743 1,374
Alleybux

"Yeah sure"

giphy.gif

Just nothing.

LOL! Especially if you have a white sounding name.
It's all smooth sailing when they contact you thorough email or telephone, but once you turn up for that face to face interview and assessment! They turn cold and no longer want anything to do with you.

MrBlkUK200

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
4,684 1,373 1,842
Alleybux
LOL! Especially if you have a white sounding name.
It's all smooth sailing when they contact you thorough email or telephone, but once you turn up for that face to face interview and assessment! They turn cold and no longer want anything to do with you.
Yup aint that the truth

Edward Snowden

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
28,290 1,359 1,344
Alleybux
it is a big deal as when you are 25 years old you coming into a company equivalent to how a white person came in but at 21. The loss of earnings in all those years is troubling. My younger siblings were at work but got basically layed off last year and have been unemployed since. Half of my black friends are either in work or out of work. The best thing for us as black people is to start our own businesses as I really can not see it getting any better. I just feel like the black community in the UK is finished, things are getting worse compounded by the pandemic, and the black community in the UK took the biggest brunt
We are so misguided it’s alarming, we are also fighting for other minorities and their rights when they wouldn’t spit on us if we were on fire.

Stop voting for dumb f**ks who give the immigrants free bed and board whilst they make us the target for all things wrong.