Quantcast
  • Don't post about your friends here. Post issues with your friends on the Front Porch.

Underage Niece Friend Requests On FaceBook/Twitter

MarbleHalvah

Matzoh Thot
Reaction score
Reactions
86 11
Alleybux
My niece is not yet 13, the age at which Facebook/Twitter allows users to create an account.
I have a weird feeling that she's been trolling my formerly public Twitter/Facebook with mean comments from fake accounts before I locked them up, because as soon as they weren't public, she requested me from her actual profile.
I have adult themed discussions and not child friendly subject matter posted freely and I want to keep it that way and not just put her in a special group that only sees certain stuff.
I'm also worried about child molesters seeing her profile and trying to take advantage of her.
She lives with her paternal grandfather and I don't talk to that part of my family specifically because they are manipulative, bitter and unsupportive, and may be perfectly fine with her having this account (a few family members already added her).

What the hell should I do? I feel bad to ignore the request and keep posting public things but I am extremely uncomfortable with adding her and talking about anything. There is so much guilt involved.

Is anyone else dealing with the whole children on social media thing, and how are you handling it?

RoadRage

Amazing
Reaction score
Reactions
75,579 2,477 3,869
Alleybux
Kids are going to be online. I would rather know about it than have them have some account that I don't know about and sneak around. Internet access is everywhere, I think it's better to teach internet safety at this point since she's already online. That being said, I would and have blocked children from my Twitter when I had one.

FemmeQueen

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
2,729 97 42
Alleybux
If you add her you can add her to a restricted group and she can't see all your stuff.

LemonShark

Reality Von Tease
Reaction score
Reactions
193,348 14,925 3,744
Alleybux
My niece is not yet 13, the age at which Facebook/Twitter allows users to create an account.
I have a weird feeling that she's been trolling my formerly public Twitter/Facebook with mean comments from fake accounts before I locked them up, because as soon as they weren't public, she requested me from her actual profile.
I have adult themed discussions and not child friendly subject matter posted freely and I want to keep it that way and not just put her in a special group that only sees certain stuff.
I'm also worried about child molesters seeing her profile and trying to take advantage of her.
She lives with her paternal grandfather and I don't talk to that part of my family specifically because they are manipulative, bitter and unsupportive, and may be perfectly fine with her having this account (a few family members already added her).

What the hell should I do? I feel bad to ignore the request and keep posting public things but I am extremely uncomfortable with adding her and talking about anything. There is so much guilt involved.

Is anyone else dealing with the whole children on social media thing, and how are you handling it?

I would tell her directly your page is not for kids. I don't get the idea that people should add everyone they know and their should be no boundaries to their social circles and conversations. I'm super boundaried with my page and I don't want to have family cross examine me about anything on it. It's not even searchable. If I want to add people I will. I found out a relative by some bizarre coincidence friended an old acquaintance and I'm considering changing my page privacy level because I don't want any runteldat drama in my life.

Roberta Warren

Not Hatin' On Nothin'
Reaction score
Reactions
3,498 36 5
Alleybux

Wait what? That would be enough to ignore the request.

I don't add any of my little cousins.

Livia Drusilla

Augusta
Reaction score
Reactions
72,891 1,887 563
Alleybux
if you add her you can add her to a restricted group and she can't see all your stuff.
this is what I did when two of my younger family members. They can only see public post of mine which are rated- G, all my other stuff is off limits.

Not much you can do if your contact with this extended family is limited to make them aware of internet safety. I guess you could make some post on social media about it and hope she sees them and reads up for her own sake.