Quantcast

Unpopular opinions on Pose.

RZSB5519

A Queen and a Goddess
Reaction score
Reactions
3,526 67 48
Alleybux
Well now that season 2 is on Netflix and I've I've binged it all here are mine below

I personally don't mind Damon's character but wish more screen time would go to Cubby and Lemar as I think they're better dancers and voguers.

Candy can stay dead don't miss her at all. She provided comic relief when necessary but otherwise extremely unlikable and mean especially to Blanca.

We all love Blanca but she is not fµck!ng passable at all and hopefully season 3 she can get better styling and no more horrible denim cutoffs and tight shirts showing her lack of breasts.

Lulu and Angel are passable in looks but the voices are a dead giveaway. And while we're on Lulu I liked her better as a background guest character in season 1 I just don't like her character at all.

I don't mind Ricky and Pray Tell being a couple, sometimes folks need someone older and mature to ground them. Damon and him were cute but Damon was 17 at the start of the show and still a virgin prior to Ricky while he was already in his early 20s and more experienced.

I like Papi's character he cleaned up better in season 2 but also neutral on him and Angel as a couple that came out of left field like a lot of plot points this season.

Finally even if they don't bring him back to main cast I am curious to know what became of Stan after Angel gave him the boot. Did he go back to the piers to search for love again, did him abs his wife work out etc. Maybe show how the aids epidemic affects him being a undercover gay white Male.

StarScream35

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
13,567 1,059 606
Alleybux
Okay so here is my unpopular opinion....

I see a lot of comments about colorism but are folks forgetting this is about African Americans AND Latinos? In fact I think they did a good job with casting. Good to see a prominent cast of dark skinned African Americans and a prominent cast of darker skinned, coily/curly haired Latinos because Lord knows things would be in the reverse if it were the 1980s.

If you lived through the 1980s, you know what I’m talking about. Even Soul Train went from featuring primarily dark skinned female dancers during the 1970s to light skinned female dancers during the 1980s. And the Latino community has always overlooked dark skinned, coily/curly haired and Afro Latinos, unless they were cast for servant roles. One look at Latino movies and you’d swear you were watching actors from Spain.

As far as the group of main actors, Damon is the only light skinned African American and Papi is the only European looking Latino. I thought this was well done. You can tell Ryan Murphy thinks outside the box and is disgusted with the Hollywood foolishness! There is LuLu but it’s unclear what race or ethnicity she is because we aren’t given any background information nor a surname.

We know Blanca’s surname is Rodriguez and Stan tells Matt that Angel is Puerto Rican. Lulu may very well serve as that bridge character that could be mixed race/ethnicity or a different race altogether that just fits well into the community because she belongs to a race that was underrepresented in New York at that time. I don’t think it’s an accident that her surname is Sahar (which is Iranian, I believe) and she was cast for the role. Also, there is no information online about her race. So there is definitely an added racial ambiguity about her.

I know people are talking about the stereotypical attitudes of the dark skinned vs light skinned characters, in particular Candy but I wonder if this is more just selective observation because LuLu acts the same way that Candy did……attitude problem, sassy mouth, angry, argumentative but nobody seems to notice. I do know in an interview, Angelica Ross, who played Candy, said she would often make producers re-write her lines because the conversations weren’t realistic for minority transgendered folks. I’ve wondered if this was what got her written off the show, aka fired. I mean I get what she’s saying but when you up and coming like that, you gotta wait until you get some clout before telling folks how to run the show or doing your own thing!

But my point with that is, what you may perceive as stereotypical attitudes based on skin tones, may not at all be because of the director and writers. I find nothing wrong with Elektra’s character. Who says a dark skinned woman can’t be striking, gorgeous, classy and loved by men? Had this movie been done in the 1980s, a European looking black woman like Anne Marie Johnson would have been cast as Elektra and a European looking Latina like Mercedes Ruehl would have been cast as Blanca!

I do agree, the actors definitely need some acting lessons but I know the director wanted authentic transgendered people so rounding up a crew of seasoned, professional actors would have proved difficult so I’m not mad at him for this. Plus it’s always good to give up and coming actors opportunities.

Indya Moore definitely needs to stop with the stank face. I mean I know she's trying to look sad and depressed but it actually comes out looking like stank face. Get some lessons on conveying proper emotions onscreen because that look is becoming annoying.

Y'all don't think Blanca looks feminine enough? Y'all must ain't seen Nicole Murphy (Eddie Murphy's ex-wife) Nicole Young (Dr. Dre's wife), Princess Stephanie of Monaco, Jennifer Pfautch (Omari Hardwick's wife)?

Last edited:

SweptAway

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
3,383 60 4
Alleybux
I thought Indya Moore was great in season one but I don't know what happened between season one and two but they became insufferable on social media and the acting seemed to really deteriorate in season two. I just don't find Angel and Papi interesting as a couple.

Julien

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
5,693 178 282
Alleybux
Angel and Papi seem like brother and sister. I know why they were paired but contrast Papi’s scenes with Damon and you’ll see the night and day difference. Papi kissed Damon on the cheek and generated more heat than any of his scenes with Angel.

KNTY 4 NEWS

ain’t no hold ‘em
Reaction score
Reactions
247,049 4,353 2,393
Alleybux
Angel and Papi seem like brother and sister. I know why they were paired but contrast Papi’s scenes with Damon and you’ll see the night and day difference. Papi kissed Damon on the cheek and generated more heat than any of his scenes with Angel.

I like Angel and Papi together but you got me wanting to go watch his scenes with Damon again lol

pvaturkey

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
6,748 80 14
Alleybux
I’m so late and just started binge watching the show. But I love Elektra...she’s hilarious!

dnashobviously

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
10,204 183 29
Alleybux
Finished season 2.

After Ricky slept with Pray; I checked out mentally. I still have 1/10 of a hope that Damon and Ricky are end game but I know the writers want to prop up Pray so I’m sure Ricky/Damon are done. Ricky will probably die to give Pray some meaty material.

SLAPYaTUNG

FlightofDaNavigator
Reaction score
Reactions
53,205 1,931 1,675
Alleybux
My new guilty pleasure! Yessss ! I have been watching it the last few weeks hopefully there will be more seasons.

Jodie Landon

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
46,578 1,476 494
Alleybux
I was scrolling thru Hailie Sahar’s (Lulu) Instagram and sis is NOT clockable...like at all. Not one clocky angle, no over the top-ness. Whole page smelled like white albacore tuna. I live.

She can honestly pass and I think she is so pretty. I showed my fiance her pics to see if he can tell and he said 'that's dangerous'. :joy:

Geekish

I see Humans but no Humanity
Reaction score
Reactions
20,702 497 125
Alleybux
Angel is pretty but I don't think she looks like a runway model or whatever they were trying to portray her as. Maybe for today's standards but not back then. There was one girl in the house of wintour "Jazmine" who looked more the part.

MissEngineer

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
14,468 455 85
Alleybux
Angel and Papi seems more like brother and sister. Blanca looks super awkward to me, maybe it’s because she’s cross eyed and a terrible dresser. I also find her character annoying. Especially with the nail shop situation. I love Elecktra and Pray tell. They’re pretty much the only ones who can act. I would like to see more background to each of the characters.

LemonShark

Reality Von Tease
Reaction score
Reactions
193,341 14,925 3,744
Alleybux
none of them can act & blanca is annoying/ugly.i will be glad when blanca finally dies

i always thought elektras accent was weird/dumb until i realized she was doing an exact impression of another drag queen(i forget which one, pepper?).

papi was ugly/annoying & i dont believe he could get a "girl" like angel. ever

this last season was slightly lame & i HATE they got rid of candy(shes on his new horror camp show).

they should have gotten rid of everybody except elektra & candy.the rest of the cast are uninteresting & idgaf about their storylines at all

.....vicious!
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BZTZlZjg4OGYtODViMC00MWYzLWIyMDEtOGRiYzhkMGZjZmE3XkEyXkFqcGdeQTNwaW5nZXN0._V1_.jpg

Caramelskin

80’s baby ❤️
Reaction score
Reactions
179,557 7,137 3,462
Alleybux
I finally decided to watch and I’m only on season 2.

This is supposed to be about unpopular opinions but right now I don’t have any.

The soundtrack is giving me life! Such nostalgia of me growing up as a kid in the 80’s.

I thought Angel was Yara Shahidi from Blackish for the longest when I scrolled pass it on Netflix.

Im glad I watched some YouTube videos about each character to know their loosely based on the documentary Paris is Burning.

I’m also glad I watch Legendary Ballroom on HBOMax to already get an idea of their culture.

The HIV/AID’s epidemic is too real from that era

Trending Threads

News Alley

Ask LSA

General Alley

Top Bottom