Quantcast

Unsung: Tammi Terrell

DeniseHux

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
27,023 644 154
Alleybux
Don't know if she introduced Marvin to it.

As for Ruffin and Tammi, it's been stated by several people who knew them that Tammi Terrell was the female version of David Ruffin, but for some reason, David is the one who is always made out to be the villain.

Here's a quote from a book about the Temptions concerning Tammi Terrell Amazon.com: Ain't Too Proud to Beg: The Troubled Lives and Enduring Soul of the Temptations (9780470261170): Mark Ribowsky: Gateway
"...David got major pussy. Let me tell you, Tammi Terrell was major pussy. Of course, she also was an accident waiting to happen. She was wild, she'd been turned on to drugs, hard drugs, cocaine. She got David hooked on drugs. That's a fact. Look, David was an accident waiting to happen too, but she got him into all his destructive behavior. Him roughing her up, I'm not making excuses for that. But it was a factor of what Tammi was."

Why you never hear about this? People have always had an obsession with painting this picture that Marvin and Tammi were two sweet, perfect little angels and David Ruffin was the big bad wolf. You won't hear about Tammi being a substance abusive hoe who loved to live the fast life or Marvin being a substance abusing, woman-beating cross dresser. You never even hear about the wrongs the other Temps or even other Motown artists did. Just David. He's the scapegoat.

Another thing mentioned on unsung that had me smh was the part about their engagement. Yes, David was married when he proposed to Tammi. BUT, what they didn't mention was that David was separated from his wife and living with another woman who was pregnant with his child. Tammi didn't know about the wife, but she DID know about the pregnant girlfriend. So basically, Tammi was the home-wrecker who later found out that she herself had been played. If this were the average woman, we'd be talking about how she got her karma for dating another woman's man. But since it's Tammi Terrell, I guess it's ok that David cheated on his other women with her but bad that he lied to her about his wife.

They never talk about her faults. I still feel sorry for her even though I know about her ugly side, but I hate it when people say that David Ruffin got what he deserved because of the way he treated her when she treated him just as bad. Like Tammi, David had been a victim of some of the things that he encountered in his life. Both of them deserved better.

td-jakes.gif

aMuse2Many

Think and Grow Rich
Reaction score
Reactions
7,248 2 2
Alleybux
This episode is really good...thanks to the poster who provided the link with the full episode.

yoco

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
15,272 63 66
Alleybux
I just watched it online and it was so sad. They took advantage of her because of her looks. Her mom is a low down dirty b!tch. She should have went after those mfs that raped her 11 year old. They say something is wrong with this generation when it comes down to parenting but i dont know any mother in this day and age that would have let those ****** walk around free. Her rape to me mad her loose hope on herself. If she had so many headaches why her mom did not ge them checked out. There are so many question marks in her life. I think people need to not give berry gordy any credit anymore. Everyone need to blackballed his ass. People backthen would sell there teenage daughter just for a buck. People wonder in james brown last years he ran around looking like a damn wolf. Pay back is a b!tch. How u treat others is how you will get it back on you. To die at 24 years of age. Damn shame.

I agree w/ everything you said except the Berry Gordy part. Yes, he worked people hard, but he paid for her brain surgery and treatment, so he wasn't all that bad. What tripped me out was that her mother banned Berry Gordy and the other Motown "family" from the funeral. I guess she blamed them for TAmmi's death. However, if Tammi had been experiencing debilitating headaches since she was a child, then the mother and father are to blame for not getting Tammi examined. In addition, who in the world does absolutely NOTHING when their little girl ('cause 11 is still a little girl) is gang raped:shock:? Also, who allows there young teen to travel unaccompanied and fratenize with men at least twice her age like James Brown? I know things were different back in the day and counseling was not the norm like it is today, but jail certainly was.

Anyway, I think this Unsung and the Minnie Rippleton were my favs so far because although I knew of them and had heard their music, the program gave me so much more info and a better appreciation of each's contribution to music. And, I'm in agreement w/ everyone on the board a movie bio on Tammi would be awesome!

yoco

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
15,272 63 66
Alleybux
Don't know if she introduced Marvin to it.

As for Ruffin and Tammi, it's been stated by several people who knew them that Tammi Terrell was the female version of David Ruffin, but for some reason, David is the one who is always made out to be the villain.

Here's a quote from a book about the Temptions concerning Tammi Terrell Amazon.com: Ain't Too Proud to Beg: The Troubled Lives and Enduring Soul of the Temptations (9780470261170): Mark Ribowsky: Gateway
"...David got major pussy. Let me tell you, Tammi Terrell was major pussy. Of course, she also was an accident waiting to happen. She was wild, she'd been turned on to drugs, hard drugs, cocaine. She got David hooked on drugs. That's a fact. Look, David was an accident waiting to happen too, but she got him into all his destructive behavior. Him roughing her up, I'm not making excuses for that. But it was a factor of what Tammi was."

Why you never hear about this? People have always had an obsession with painting this picture that Marvin and Tammi were two sweet, perfect little angels and David Ruffin was the big bad wolf. You won't hear about Tammi being a substance abusive hoe who loved to live the fast life or Marvin being a substance abusing, woman-beating cross dresser. You never even hear about the wrongs the other Temps or even other Motown artists did. Just David. He's the scapegoat.

Another thing mentioned on unsung that had me smh was the part about their engagement. Yes, David was married when he proposed to Tammi. BUT, what they didn't mention was that David was separated from his wife and living with another woman who was pregnant with his child. Tammi didn't know about the wife, but she DID know about the pregnant girlfriend. So basically, Tammi was the home-wrecker who later found out that she herself had been played. If this were the average woman, we'd be talking about how she got her karma for dating another woman's man. But since it's Tammi Terrell, I guess it's ok that David cheated on his other women with her but bad that he lied to her about his wife.

They never talk about her faults. I still feel sorry for her even though I know about her ugly side, but I hate it when people say that David Ruffin got what he deserved because of the way he treated her when she treated him just as bad. Like Tammi, David had been a victim of some of the things that he encountered in his life. Both of them deserved better.

Your info was interesting, but why did you have to resort to calling her a "hoe". She was a rape victim at the tender age of 11 without any counseling. In addition, she was also taken advantage of by older men as a teen and beat up by these older men, namely James Brown.

Tammi resorting to drugs and being promiscuous is not unheard of when children are victims of xesual assault. I'm surprised that she was able to function on any level after those incidents. I also was surprised to learn that she enrolled in a pre-med program and gave up singing for a while. So, no she wasn't an angel by any stretch of the imagination, but the traumatic circumstances of her life obviously caused her maladjusted behaviors. Also, who knows, the tumor may have also contributed to her behaviors. I just don't like derogatory language - it serves no purpose other than to divide.

rxntx

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,087 19 7
Alleybux
IMHO this was one of the best "UNSUNG" 's to date.That woman could sing and she seems to have had a great "presence". Those eyes of hers tell the whole story.... Damn I loves me some TV1!!!!

cloud9

General Manager
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
13,326 222 41
Alleybux
Tammi's story is really heartbreaking.

I read her sister's book when it was first published, and i must say her book was really traumatizing and more MORE disturbing than the Unsung episode.

Apparently, when Tammi was raped, her little sister saw her bloody clothes. I think her parents forbid them to talk about it. But per parents took her to the police and was able to identify the scums.

Tammi dad died of cancer as well and her mother died in a nursing home. Her mother has brain surgery and it ruptured leaving her unable to walk and talk.

In the book Tammi had to wear a helmet after her surgeries. Tammi overheard someone talking about her looks and weight saying "That cant be Tammi Terrell looking like that" (she was bald, weight 93 lbs, and wore very thick glasses) and she asked her friend if she look horrible.

So said :pcrying: :pcrying::psad: :psad:

BreezyBeEasy

sh!ts and Giggles
Reaction score
Reactions
7,918 8 7
Alleybux
Tammi was gorgeous, in a very natural way. Not in the knifed up, botoxed air brushed, booty implant way that is so popular nowadays. I don't understand what she saw in James Brown or David Ruffin, though. Those dudes must have had swag for days because they were definitely not lookers. And James Brown looked like a self-obsessed, insecure, narcississtic weirdo. What sign was he?

Well, whether Tammi was an angel or not, I will say she lived her life to the fullest in the short time she had. She traveled, met all kinds of people, worked her ass off, went to school and had a recording contract. Most people don't do that within their whole lives. I will agree w/ her cousin that she may have been looking for love and just seems like she got involved with many men that brought out the worst in her. It seems like between her mom and dad she had to be very self-sufficient and may not have had any positive influences to school her on healthy relationships and xes.

Sidenote: I love love love Marvin Gaye. Now that I can see her being attracted to.

Cookie202

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
140,686 2,201 690
Alleybux
Tammi's story is really heartbreaking.

I read her sister's book when it was first published, and i must say her book was really traumatizing and more MORE disturbing than the Unsung episode.

Apparently, when Tammi was raped, her little sister saw her bloody clothes. I think her parents forbid them to talk about it. But per parents took her to the police and was able to identify the scums.

Tammi dad died of cancer as well and her mother died in a nursing home. Her mother has brain surgery and it ruptured leaving her unable to walk and talk.

In the book Tammi had to wear a helmet after her surgeries. Tammi overheard someone talking about her looks and weight saying "That cant be Tammi Terrell looking like that" (she was bald, weight 93 lbs, and wore very thick glasses) and she asked her friend if she look horrible.

So said :pcrying: :pcrying::psad: :psad:

I read the book too. It was EXTREMELY sad and heartbreaking! Especially when Ludie told of Tammi's final days. Anyone who is interested in Tammi's life should read her sister's book. I finished the book in one day. It was great and very moving.

BreezyBeEasy

sh!ts and Giggles
Reaction score
Reactions
7,918 8 7
Alleybux
OK y'all, I held it together until...

The surgeon almost lost it.

Her acapella master's were played (how many female artsts can do that nowadays?)

Her adorable fiance' and his niece

Why is Diana Ross so typical? By the way anyone know where I can find the Minnie Riperton Unsung? I love her daughter Maya Rudolph.

cloud9

General Manager
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
13,326 222 41
Alleybux
Also,
I have the Marvin and Tammi Complete Duets cd and it's clearly Valerie Simpson voice on the majority of "Your All I need to Get By" song and the "Easy" album. The chemistry isnt their on the "Easy" album

I believe Marvin and Valerie "told" on herself.

But I don't think the truth nor a movie about Motown/Tammi will REALLY get out until Berry Gordy dies.

Miza

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
328,391 13,231 3,433
Alleybux

Your info was interesting, but why did you have to resort to calling her a "hoe". She was a rape victim at the tender age of 11 without any counseling. In addition, she was also taken advantage of by older men as a teen and beat up by these older men, namely James Brown.

Tammi resorting to drugs and being promiscuous is not unheard of when children are victims of xesual assault. I'm surprised that she was able to function on any level after those incidents. I also was surprised to learn that she enrolled in a pre-med program and gave up singing for a while. So, no she wasn't an angel by any stretch of the imagination, but the traumatic circumstances of her life obviously caused her maladjusted behaviors. Also, who knows, the tumor may have also contributed to her behaviors. I just don't like derogatory language - it serves no purpose other than to divide.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
also they did not paint her as an angel. They said she was permiscuous. Tammi is not the only person David was accused of mistreating neither was James Brown.

Kerry Karter

Dangerously in Love
Reaction score
Reactions
195,572 2,641 2,256
Alleybux
Just finished watching the Tammi Terrell ep online. This was one of the best episodes right up there with Phyllis Hyman. I cried like a baby towards the end. She was so beautiful and talented. When they played her singing acapella I was floored. I doubt there is any current female (or male) artist who can do that today. NONE. Not even Bey, Xtina, Leona, Ursh or Maxwell (yeah I said him too)...NONE. They were musicians and artists back then without the benefit of autotune and voice altering.

Shame on everyone who let Tammi be taken advantage of and didn't do anything about it. She was still a teenager when she was with Ruffin and JB, and no one thought to stop them from abusing her. Tammi may have lived fast and hard but that doesn't mean it was her fault. She was still a child and I think her family should have taken better care of her then expecting Berry Gordy to raise their daughter.

I remember my mom talking about Tammi Terrell and Marvin Gaye, and hearing them for the first time sing "Ain't Nothing Like the Real Thing" while riding in the car. I have to tell my mom to watch.

Does anyone know where you can find old Unsung eps online?? I want to watch the Sylvester and Minnie Ripperton, and Stacy Lattislaw shows.

And Cosign 2000x, to Taraji playing Tammi, and Ashord and Simpson being one of the best songwriting duos in modern music history.

SoulMusicStan

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
14,707 28 2
Alleybux
Does anyone know where you can find old Unsung eps online?? I want to watch the Sylvester and Minnie Ripperton, and Stacy Lattislaw shows.

Those episodes were on youtube a couple of months ago, but sadly the channel got suspended and you can only see the full flo ballard episode there. :(

Reaction score
Reactions
1,882 3
Alleybux
Best episode period!! I have never cried while watching an episode of UnSung but this one here hand my butt in tears. She is sooo underrated she had a beautiful voice and her duets with Marvin Gaye where amazing. I would love to see a biopic about her like even a made for tv movie would be wonderful. But my favorite part about the episode was towards the end when they played one of her records and took out all the background music and it was just her....she had an amazing voice they should release her songs with just her sining without the music...just beautiful.
I caught this episode on OnDemand and it really broke my heart. She had such a beautiful voice and such a SAD life. Poor woman could not catch a break. I too would love to see a movie made about her life. It's funny because when I was watching the show, I kept thinking "she kinda favors Taraji Henson a little bit".

ortiz

kindred spirit
Reaction score
Reactions
30,658 5 2
Alleybux
*I saw there was a thread posted last year relating to the premiere of this episode but I wanted to post the actual video for those who haven't seen it yet*

Ya'll have got to see this Unsung episode, it was amazing. There was so much that Tammi Terrell went through in her short life that I didn't know about...the rape at age 11 by 3 older boys, the severe headaches she suffered from as a kid which of course resulted in a fatal diagnosis later, the severe beatings Tammi suffered at the hands of both James Brown and David Ruffin (who didn't hit her with a hammer but did hit her with a motorcycle helmet), the 8 operations on her brain cancer tumor and more. There are great interviews that were provided by her sister, her fiance, and even her surgeon. Tammi was such a beautiful and brave woman with incredible talent, it's hard to believe she was only here for 24 years....another legend gone too soon :rose:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9iHLx8i-4g&feature=related"]YouTube - ‪Unsung (Documentary) - Tammi Terrell‬‏[/ame]

ortiz

kindred spirit
Reaction score
Reactions
30,658 5 2
Alleybux
legend?

And for whoever tagged this, YES Tammi Terrell is most definitely a legend. You ever heard of a song called "Ain't No Mountain High Enough?" How about "Ain't Nothing Like the Real Thing Baby" or "You're All I Need to Get By?" I'm sure you have unless you've been living under a rock somewhere.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svAs-6MiqxE"]YouTube - ‪AIN'T NOTHING LIKE THE REAL THING‬‏[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYRrzlTWK4I"]YouTube - ‪Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell ~ Ain't No Mountain High Enough‬‏[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbX66Ddxtow"]YouTube - ‪Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell - Your Precious Love‬‏[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdqtmnd2T0U"]YouTube - ‪Marvin Gaye with Tammi Terrell You're all I need to get by‬‏[/ame]

slimdiva73

Shitting on U Heauxs
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
29,424 328 147
Alleybux
I swear this generation is ignorant. Yeah she's a legend, if you knew your fµck!ng black music history you would know that she and other artists made significant contributions to the industry and are mimicked by some of the music we have today. I swear some people born past 1985 don't know sh!t. :irked:

kali_2443

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
7,869 57 8
Alleybux
Such a beautiful woman. Had she lived, she would have surpassed Diana....guaranteed!

SoulMusicStan

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
14,707 28 2
Alleybux
I Love Tammi, being a fan her ever since 2004 I had always wanted to know much more than the internet at that time had about her. And that unsung episode basically help me learn a lot more about her.

I swear this generation is ignorant. Yeah she's a legend, if you knew your fµck!ng black music history you would know that she and other artists made significant contributions to the industry and are mimicked by some of the music we have today. I swear some people born past 1985 don't know sh!t. :irked:

It stuff like that tagger that make me so ashamed of being born in 89 sometimes. And who wanna bet that tagger has a favorate song that samples Tammi's song but dont know the origins of it. Those are the types of people that whine about a song made in 2009 as old despite it only debuting 2 years ago.

Although maybe in that person defense, maybe they knew the tammi only as the chick who dueted with Marvin. Since her illness cut the chance of her ever releasing a second album solo.

moniquel

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
14,588 169 72
Alleybux
Oh my God, I loved that episode! That was my fave episode of unsung too. She died too young and she was soo talented and naturally beautiful.

Mari Juana

blow me
Reaction score
Reactions
34,876 11 5
Alleybux
TVONE aired that again last month... I cried watching it. That girl went through so much :no: I couldn't believe how many operations she went through trying to get rid of that cancer. She really wanted to live.

I did find it funny though when Marvin was performing with that other woman (I forget her name), and Tammi stood up in the audience and Marvin left the woman on stage and ran to Tammi :laugh:

He really loved her :love:

I'm glad you put that some there :disdain:

89 baby here, and I'm definitely up on our music history. Hell, I've taught my grandma a thing or two :pmusic:

PhillyPhinest

BLUEPRINT--SurvivingEvilScrewFaceKCiVicBaugartner
Reaction score
Reactions
46,445 472 119
Alleybux
Oh how I have missed Ortiz, Vashtie, and the Sophisticate's music posts!

I understand but I do miss those threads!
:)

Tammi Terrell another Philly bred Legend!

Naturalibra

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
18,069 17 3
Alleybux
Thank you for posting this video. I remember watching this last year on the tvone site and it just touched me so much. I am glad the whole episode is n youtube. I will definitely watch it again. She was amazing and will never be forgotten.

shuckieduckie

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
2,226 3 2
Alleybux
Tammi was absolutely gorgeous and talented. I know people said that Marvin and Tammi were just friends, but I think that Marvin LOVED her. He wasn't right after she died.

JoanClayton

Team Owner
SUPER MODERATOR
Reaction score
Reactions
244,109 2,761 187
Alleybux
I really like her episode of UnSung. She lived a sad life and died so young.

ortiz

kindred spirit
Reaction score
Reactions
30,658 5 2
Alleybux
One last song I wanted to post... "All I Do"
Most people are familiar with Stevie Wonder's version of this song but not Tammi's

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqbvX_sYoN0"]YouTube - ‪Tammi Terrell - All I Do Is Think About You‬‏[/ame]

Mother Marcus

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
953 60 17
Alleybux
In lieu of the marathon, and this is the UNSUNG FORUM, it is only fitting that each and every UNSUNG episode have its own thread. So without further ado - UNSUNG: Tammi Terrell. Get to spilling the tea LSA.

Please note that this episode repeats in the marathon.

Eternal Love

Renewing my Mind
Reaction score
Reactions
9,214 73 30
Alleybux
I just saw this Unsung and it was really sad! Tammi suffered so terribly.

Reaction score
Reactions
1,515 68 15
Alleybux
Why didn't anyone help her? Nobody stepped in when they witnessed first hand what was going on.