Unsung: The Clark Sisters airs 12/1

Black Beauty 77

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
62,925 33 33
Alleybux
The Clark sisters talk about all the siblings... Jackie and their brother Leo are from their mother's first marriage, in fact Jackie's last name was originally Cullum and the second marriage to Elbert produced Denise, Dorinda, Elbernita (a.k.a. - Twinkie) and Karen... I believe their brother works with them behind the scenes... I saw them in an interview on BET's Lift Every Voice and they went into detail on many things about their lives. Denise Clark I believe is married now and goes by Denise Clark Bradford and I think those children she had out of wedlock are by the same man whom she eventually married, she has seven children now... But damn do all of their names have to hyphenated...

Didja gitit yet

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
62,963 622 60
Alleybux
Did they have gastric bypass surgery? They ALL looked so different from how they looked in 80s and 90s. Them was some big grit-eatin'-fish-frying-country-gospel girls back in the day. I would try to match up who was who from past and present but I was like, "damn... are those even the SAME women??"

Also, when the youngest Clark Sister fell into a coma for a month following "a simple abdominal surgery" I thought... hmmm-hmmmm.

Let me find out they pulled a Star Jones.. tryin' to be all secrective about it and whatnot.

my sis and i said she was probably having lypo or perhaps some feminine issue such as fibroids.

Didja gitit yet

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
62,963 622 60
Alleybux
i thought maybe they would've discussed dorinda's suicide attempts. i think she mentions it on her first cd. i was already familiar with karen's 2% chance after surgery. God knows i have played the song 2nd chance a million times. that's my song!!!!!!!!! kiki looks adorable with her weight loss. i hope she is able to keep it up while she is still young. you can tell all carrying all that weight throughout the years has had an affect on twinkie.

Penny Woods

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
15,331 77 7
Alleybux
I wish Denise would have been apart of the show. It was very good nonetheless.

Black Beauty 77

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
62,925 33 33
Alleybux
i thought maybe they would've discussed dorinda's suicide attempts. i think she mentions it on her first cd. i was already familiar with karen's 2% chance after surgery. God knows i have played the song 2nd chance a million times. that's my song!!!!!!!!! kiki looks adorable with her weight loss. i hope she is able to keep it up while she is still young. you can tell all carrying all that weight throughout the years has had an affect on twinkie.
Dorinda is very pretty. Twinkie was BIGGGG and it took her a long time to get the weight off. I think she had surgery.

trini mango

oakland, California
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
2,350 29 4
Alleybux
I loooooveeee me some Clark Sisters! Their music takes me back to my childhood.

TheTeaMaker

Who doesn't love tea?
Reaction score
Reactions
702 1
Alleybux
^^^ they didn't mention molestation. And i was suprised that they even metioned Denise and why don't they ever talk about the brother?

I just watched a repeat of this on TVOne today, and they do mention molestation in a roundabout way... I think it was Karen who said that when their mother divorced, she vowed never to marry again because she couldn't handle someone "touching" her children...

ISIS GODDESS

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
9,773 2 4
Alleybux
Wow that's deep, did their father really mess with them? Dorinda is very pretty, I wonder what drove her too want to kill herself?

RedOcean

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
11,364 602 67
Alleybux
Did they say anything about a rumor that Dorinda slept with Karen's husband?

RedOcean

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
11,364 602 67
Alleybux
I didn't think so. I don't know if it was true but I definitely heard it alot from people that worked with Karen.

mzgee1417

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
Wish I had seen this thread when the show aired years ago. I've been a long time fan and even met Dorinda and Pastor Sheard. Very humble people. I'm glad they finally told their story the way they wanted it told. These ladies have been in the business over 40 years and are still banging!

mountaineyes

Queen Mountaineyes
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
8,603 28 19
Alleybux
I've been listening to their music this morning and they are some talented ladies. The COGIC church really disrespected Dr. Mattie Moss Clark and that has always stayed with me. Nevertheless, I am proud of their success.

TheKingsQueen

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Reactions
59 6
Alleybux
I just watched a repeat of this on TVOne today, and they do mention molestation in a roundabout way... I think it was Karen who said that when their mother divorced, she vowed never to marry again because she couldn't handle someone "touching" her children...
That wasn't what they were aluding to. It was that Elbert Clark was very mean, nasty toward MMC, he was also physically abusive to her & I believe she was just speaking to a concern & fear, alot of mother's who divorce their children's father have...& that's that if they take a new partner into their life & she has beautiful daughters still living at home, there is ALWAYS an understandable concern for any man becoming inappropriate with her girls & perhaps even physically abusive toward a "son", who is not theres. Elbert Clark was very jealous of Mattie's success & clout in the church. In many African American denominations, women aren't always seen as equals, they often use specific scripture that supports how men are the ones that should be in leadership roles, while the women of course act as thee "help meet". My understanding is his strong views on the aforementioned & the violence with which he expressed his feelings, is what doomed their marriage & caused MMC to rule out a love life of her own, for the rest of her years. Tragic really, smh, alot of these "perfect & holy" preachers & saints are just SCANDALOUS!!!!

sundaybest

AbundantlyAmazing
Reaction score
Reactions
236,782 11,969 10,198
Alleybux
Wow that's deep, did their father really mess with them? Dorinda is very pretty, I wonder what drove her too want to kill herself?
No where in the unsung episode did any of them say their father touched them. No where.
Sorry to bring up a ten year old thread. But it was on my timeline and I have insomnia tonight. So y’all will deal.

Next lie. Bring it.

sundaybest

AbundantlyAmazing
Reaction score
Reactions
236,782 11,969 10,198
Alleybux
That wasn't what they were aluding to. It was that Elbert Clark was very mean, nasty toward MMC, he was also physically abusive to her & I believe she was just speaking to a concern & fear, alot of mother's who divorce their children's father have...& that's that if they take a new partner into their life & she has beautiful daughters still living at home, there is ALWAYS an understandable concern for any man becoming inappropriate with her girls & perhaps even physically abusive toward a "son", who is not theres. Elbert Clark was very jealous of Mattie's success & clout in the church. In many African American denominations, women aren't always seen as equals, they often use specific scripture that supports how men are the ones that should be in leadership roles, while the women of course act as thee "help meet". My understanding is his strong views on the aforementioned & the violence with which he expressed his feelings, is what doomed their marriage & caused MMC to rule out a love life of her own, for the rest of her years. Tragic really, smh, alot of these "perfect & holy" preachers & saints are just SCANDALOUS!!!!
Are women seen as equals in any other community? Why single out the African American community? Oh that’s right. Because it’s something negative.

sundaybest

AbundantlyAmazing
Reaction score
Reactions
236,782 11,969 10,198
Alleybux
I've been listening to their music this morning and they are some talented ladies. The COGIC church really disrespected Dr. Mattie Moss Clark and that has always stayed with me. Nevertheless, I am proud of their success.
It wasn’t the COGIC Church. It was a few in the denomination.

As you can tell most of the sisters are still very strong COGIC members.

Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
Update on the Clark Sisters. Their estranged sister Denise uploaded a video to YouTube after she traveled from California to Detroit to see Twinkie. She made the trip because she suspected that Twinkie was being mistreated mentally, physically and financially. The family called the police to have her removed from the property. Larry Reid who is a vlogger, gospel artist and former Pastor reposted the video, Denise got in touch with him and he did 3 live phone interviews with Denise about this situation with Twinkie and why the other sisters haven't spoken to her for the last 42 years. Very, very interesting. I'll try to post the links, but they're all on YouTube

Last edited:

Bluekush21

Hebrew Israelite
Reaction score
Reactions
54,656 2,745 628
Alleybux
Looks like my wish came true a biopic is coming
55917818_2518011728268744_266310074253705216_n.jpg

Thread here:
The Clark Sisters Biopic Coming To Lifetime 2019!

MrsTresvant

Time Out
Reaction score
Reactions
166,494 20,158 17,408
Alleybux
Wasn't there some drama when Karen did her own thing? And didn't Brownie have a lot of jealousy issues?

Wait, is her name Brownie? Cookie? Twinkie?

I know one of those is right...I can't remember.
gurl...

MrsTresvant

Time Out
Reaction score
Reactions
166,494 20,158 17,408
Alleybux
I am watching now what Christian group were they Baptist or Pentecostal because I could see why they weren't allowed to do anything until 18 especially in those sects of Christianity
Holiness/Church of God In Christ

MrsTresvant

Time Out
Reaction score
Reactions
166,494 20,158 17,408
Alleybux
It was good! I loved it. Those Sistas can blow something amazing.........every group has a story, it just may not be that everyone had a drug problem or committed suicide, but I believe everyone's story in the entertainment business is interesting on some level.
where are you in their biopic thread>!

MrsTresvant

Time Out
Reaction score
Reactions
166,494 20,158 17,408
Alleybux
Wait...because there is this 7-part unsung on YouTube and part FIVE right when Mattie died is missing. I have tried many times to find that whole episode but I can't. Somebody had the middle part pulled down!

a lot of pastors engaged in incest and COGIC is reputed to be heavily infested with deacons/pastor who believed it was ok to have xesual relations with their daughters as men of God, very similar to Mormon.

COGIC is a cult with a large following founded by a hoodoo man from Memphis.

sundaybest

AbundantlyAmazing
Reaction score
Reactions
236,782 11,969 10,198
Alleybux
It was not the COGIC Church. It was a FEW of the bishops who did that. They were wrong. But it was not the majority.