Quantcast

Unvaccinated people are driving coronavirus surges as America slowly reopens

Cinnahs

Black and Beautiful
Reaction score
Reactions
239,413 4,931 1,464
Alleybux
The U.S. coronavirus vaccine rollout is an ongoing success story. Nevertheless, the number of daily confirmed cases remains over 50,000 and is rising again.

“We’re definitely in a different spot than we were a few months ago,” Dr. Payal Patel, an infectious diseases physician based out of Ann Arbor, Mich., said on Yahoo Finance Live (video above). “But the thing is, we’re beginning to see this big surge. And who are the people that are coming into the hospital? It’s unvaccinated folks. So it’s not surprising. The vaccine works.”

Over the past seven days, the number of COVID-19 cases has averaged 69,632 a day (an 11% increase from two weeks ago), according to New York Times data. Michigan is one of the states faring the worst right now, with a 60% increase in cases from two weeks ago.

“Even despite all of the work that’s being done, only one in five people in the state are fully vaccinated,” Patel said. “So there’s a ton of people walking around, getting back to normal life, who are still at risk for COVID. And with the variants, we think it’s possible that it’s more contagious. We’re often seeing families who are all getting infected at the same time.”

Reported cases per 100,000 people, April 4-10, 2021. (Source: CDC)

Reported cases per 100,000 people, April 4-10, 2021. (Source: CDC)

'Something that we should be nervous about'​

Roughly 112 million Americans (33.7% of the population) have received at least one dose of the vaccine and approximately 66.2 million Americans are fully vaccinated.

And while 25% of Michigan residents are fully vaccinated, a sharp rise in confirmed cases is causing concern among health care professionals. (Herd immunity for a community or a country is estimated to be about 80%.)

“The Michigan spike is something that we should be nervous about for many of the states in this country, which is that there's a little bit of an excitement for how many vaccinations we're getting out to individuals,” Dr. Stella Safo, an NYC-based HIV primary care physician, said on Yahoo Finance Live.

Multiple medical professionals told Yahoo Finance Live that younger generations are testing positive at significant rates recently, partly because that cohort is more likely to be unvaccinated based on eligibility criteria as restrictions fade away and society reopens. Furthermore, according to Safo, the recently success of the vaccination rollout has led some to let down their guard.

“There is some relaxing, unfortunately, of some unvaccinated people and also vaccinated people who are still waiting for their immunity to really catch up, taking on certain activities that we know will spread COVID,” she said. “So indoor dining, that's close. Maskless, even outdoor, close quarters type of meetings, meeting indoors in private homes with individuals who aren't vaccinated. And so, as we see this, we know that COVID will spread.”

'A race against time'​

All three of the available vaccines in the U.S. — from Pfizer (PFE), Moderna (MRNA), and Johnson & Johnson (JNJ) — have proven to be effective against the virus.

Nevertheless, Patel described the current situation as “really a race against time.”

“It’s an equation between how many people will get vaccinated and can get vaccinated, and the variant and the virus going wild,” she said. “The more people that get vaccinated, the quicker we can get back to having that summer.”

There are several mutant strains (variants) of COVID-19 circulating throughout the world, but the most prevalent in the U.S. are the British, South African, and Brazilian variants. Mutant strains are created as the virus spreads more and more and has time to evolve.

DETROIT, MI - APRIL 06: A group of teenagers serving as 'Covid-19 Student Ambassadors' joined Governor Gretchen Whitmer to receive a dose of the Pfizer Covid vaccine at Ford Field during an event to promote and encourage Michigan residents to go and get their vaccines on April 6, 2021 in Detroit, Michigan. As the US reaches a milestone in vaccinations, a surge of new Covid-19 cases has swept through the US with Michigan seeing the highest numbers of new cases. (Photo by Matthew Hatcher/Getty Images)

A group of teenagers serving as 'Covid-19 Student Ambassadors' joined Governor Gretchen Whitmer to receive a dose of the Pfizer Covid vaccine at Ford Field during an event to promote and encourage Michigan residents to go and get their vaccines on April 6, 2021 in Detroit, Michigan. (Photo by Matthew Hatcher/Getty Images)
“If we can’t convince our friends and family to get vaccinated, if you can’t get in line to get vaccinated, those are really going to be the barriers to us enjoying the summer and seeing what happens in the fall and in the winter,” Patel said.

Leading health experts like Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), have warned against declaring victory "prematurely."

“The message here is, we're not out of the woods yet,” Safo said. “We are doing so well with getting our vaccinations into people's arms. But we're not at a place where we have herd immunity. And so, the behaviors have to really focus on social distancing and masking.”

twistedsista

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
321,939 6,400 2,710
Alleybux
If this is the case then why are they reopening everything knowing that logistically there's no way everyone would be vaccinated even if they wanted to?

Seems like they're trying to place blame on the unvaccinated when the handling of this pandemic has been a sh!t show from day one. MFkas dying from blood clots on one of the vaccines they said it was completely safe to the point where they had to "pause" it.

As far as I'm concerned human test trials won't be done until 1 year after the release of these vaccines. I'm interested in seeing more data about that before I'll get any shot.

Not to mention the new variants seem to pay dust to the vaccines, so there's that.

It's the lack of common sense for me.

Rumplestiltskin

Knee-Jerk Contrarian
Reaction score
Reactions
116,741 17,255 1,867
Alleybux
If this is the case then why are they reopening everything knowing that logistically there's no way everyone would be vaccinated even if they wanted to?

Seems like they're trying to place blame on the unvaccinated when the handling of this pandemic has been a sh!t show from day one. MFkas dying from blood clots on one of the vaccines they said it was completely safe to the point where they had to "pause" it.

As far as I'm concerned human test trials won't be done until 1 year after the release of these vaccines. I'm interested in seeing more data about that before I'll get any shot.

Not to mention the new variants seem to pay dust to the vaccines, so there's that.

Standard trials take a minimum of 2 years. Most go on for 5-10 years.

killa_kiki

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
49,851 833 414
Alleybux
fake news

They are desperate to get the mRNA tech in everyone

that technology will help with them with their new surveillance grid where it will work with other technology
With your phD in immunology and infectious diseases, I'm glad youre hear to offer a sound scientific opinion based in research and fact from your long career of studying coronaviruses....THANK YOU SO MUCH :)

FruitCake

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
35,309 964 335
Alleybux
???? You can still carry and spread ANY virus even if you are vaccinated or even naturally immune. That was always the case. Vaccines protects YOU the vaccinated person. Not others. What really prevents you from spreading is minimizing close contact, make sure no one comes in contact with bodily fluids, and good hygiene/washing your hands frequently so you don't pass your contaminated bodily fluids to others.

YoungBougieBlac

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
180,336 9,436 15,104
Alleybux
Lies to pressure ppl to volunteer to be lab rats injected with experimental medicine that isn’t even FDA approved. Vaccinated ppl still contract the virus and spread it, that’s why they’re advised to still wear masks

Evil Twin

Speed Demon
Reaction score
Reactions
9,441 228 23
Alleybux
Vaccinated people are running around with no masks on and acting the fool like they are safe. They don't realize they can still get infected and pass it on to others.

Rumplestiltskin

Knee-Jerk Contrarian
Reaction score
Reactions
116,741 17,255 1,867
Alleybux
???? You can still carry and spread ANY virus even if you are vaccinated or even naturally immune. That was always the case. Vaccines protects YOU the vaccinated person. Not others. What really prevents you from spreading is minimizing close contact, make sure no one comes in contact with bodily fluids, and good hygiene/washing your hands frequently so you don't pass your contaminated bodily fluids to others.
Go catch "a little bit of polio" and come back to us.

Ms Muse

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
44,327 1,532 718
Alleybux
Vaccinated people are running around with no masks on and acting the fool like they are safe. They don't realize they can still get infected and pass it on to others.
They are safe (from death and major complications)... the unvaccinated people are not...

MsSetGood

…she was a deep cognac color…
Reaction score
Reactions
91,985 2,588 93
Alleybux
bruhhhhhh

they are blatantly lying at this point.

i wish i was a business owner and totally independent so i didnt have to deal with this.

im pretty sure that by summer they will require people in my line of work to have it or to lose their jobs.

Mencha

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
83,909 3,011 1,161
Alleybux
Not true. The vaccine doesn’t completely protect you but works to minimize the symptoms if you DO get it.
Why is that so hard to understand. You take it so if you do get it than it might be a mild case if any symptoms vs being hospitalized or dying.

FruitCake

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
35,309 964 335
Alleybux
Go catch "a little bit of polio" and come back to us.
...What? Listen if you have any doubts about what I said, just google it. Honestly. Several members of my family work in the medical field. Including nurses. I get a lot of info firsthand even before COVID and I got a lot of info during it not to mention this stuff is easily researchable and was taught to us in biology in school. Just look up if you can still pass viruses with a vaccine and educate yourself instead of being snarky and passive-aggressive.

ETA: Since yall take peoples personal decisions on what they want to put in their bodies so personally, just letting you know I'm not trying to discourage anyone from taking the vaccine and I plan on taking it eventually but I'm just waiting it out and still social distancing in the meantime. But that doesn't mean I shouldn't call out (intentional) misinformation when I see it.

Last edited:

Abbie Mills

Wife of Prince Daemon Targaryen and President Snow
Reaction score
Reactions
79,093 1,113 415
Alleybux
This is a lie. Vaccinated people can still catch the virus. They need to stop pushing these vaccines as the cure.

SheCold89

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
136,588 11,722 2,555
Alleybux
Why is that so hard to understand. You take it so if you do get it than it might be a mild case if any symptoms vs being hospitalized or dying.
Right. And trying to blame the ones that aren’t getting the shots. You can still get it even after your shots. Duh! Lol

Niki dockery

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
60,832 6,648 2,519
Alleybux
LIES.

Justin Trudeau prime minister of Canada stated that although the vaccines are here and people are getting them, lockdowns will go on and on and on and on and on....because unfortunately "it is the most effective way of controlling the virus." SOOOOO my question is, what is the point of the vaccine????
1618506795903.png

kboogie55

It Really Is Like That
Reaction score
Reactions
74,238 2,583 247
Alleybux
The vaccines are giving people a false sense of security and they're being too loose with masks and social distancing thinking they got the shot so they can't get COVID.

The vaccine does not prevent you from getting COVID it's supposed to lessen the chance of you experiencing the more severe symptoms.

Had a coworker who was exposed to someone in his home a few days ago. Our occupational health dept told him because he was fully vaccinated he did not need to quarantine and report to work. What if my coworker ends up positive due to his exposure? He will possibly infect others at work because he was allowed to return without quarantine.

That's why this sh!t is on a rise and will continue to spread.

Last edited:

shychick777

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
15,921 1,884 1,398
Alleybux
Oh, well. The vaccinated will fare well in the end. Darwinism for the unvaxxed.
LOL Girl, that ain't even remotely true. Give it some time. I wasn't kidding in a previous post when I said the tide is shifting. Hold on, and get ready to ride that wave.

mthrbrd

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
153,625 2,510 536
Alleybux
Per usual the establishment shifting the blame onto individual actions instead of their own actions which has been fµcked up since before the pandemic even officially started.

tenor.gif

shychick777

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
15,921 1,884 1,398
Alleybux
Lies to pressure ppl to volunteer to be lab rats injected with experimental medicine that isn’t even FDA approved. Vaccinated ppl still contract the virus and spread it, that’s why they’re advised to still wear masks
They did a slam dunk with effing up the vax campaign by pausing J&J. Sure, there are some who will still get the shots, but it appears that they had no choice but to come clean with the adverse reactions happening to those injected; believe me, it was far more than 6 people.

You think they care about 6 people?

LOL

Not laughing at those who suffered because of the shots.

I'm still pushing for 2/3rds of the earth being jabbed, despite the potential for adverse reactions as long as those people are willingly doing it and understand the possible repercussions of their choices.

Thing is, once people think they are safe and not prone to sickness or death, they will be out in the streets thinking it's pre-pandemic life. THEY know most won't abide by social distancing, wearing masks, etc., and that's the idea. If they can get the majority of the public infected, they expect to see herd immunity.

If people stay home, the world economies keep collapsing, so they figure - screw it, whoever lives lives, whoever gets sick, gets sick, and whoever doesn't make it, doesn't make it, BUT we've got to save the economies and get pass this pandemic. Simple. No point in avoiding it any longer. That's their thinking and it was under consideration in the earlier days, once they realized they were powerless against stopping the impact the pandemic would have on keeping the monies circulating.

They want as many people infected as possible, to force the variants to spawn, to see if their vax can alleviate some of the sickness and death of the afflicted, and essentially to make this thing be over as soon as possible.

They want no more delay. PERIODT. That's why they are opening up everything. Lockdowns failed.

Always, I hope for the best, but we all should expect vax issues for some, and hope it's not the case for all of them. I'd never get off on something like that.

But now, they messed it up. Far less will volunteer and that ruins any good long term data we could have gathered from having a larger, much larger sample base.

The only reason they paused J&J was because there were too many eff ups that couldn't be hidden, and to some extent, I'd like to think they didn't want to intentionally keep taking chances with people's lives and well being.

Someone had a conscience, evidently.

Last edited:

Loeny

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
84,767 6,962 11,544
Alleybux
fake news

They are desperate to get the mRNA tech in everyone

that technology will help with them with their new surveillance grid where it will work with other technology
That's what seems to be the reason they stopped the J&J vax .

Brenda Leigh

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
9,788 170 28
Alleybux

This is exactly why I'm waiting. I want to see what happens to everybody else first. I'm an introvert and a homebody whose job can be done remotely. So there's no rush to get the vaccine.

YoungBougieBlac

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
180,336 9,436 15,104
Alleybux
Studies seem to be showing that Covid cannot be spread after you get vaccinated:

“cannot be spread”?? Please read again and revise your statement. Every scientist acknowledges that vaccinated ppl can still catch and spread covid. It’s the whole reason why vaccinated ppl still need to wear masks