Quantcast

Verzuz: Mary J Blige & Toni Braxton. Thoughts?

Who Would Win This Verzuz?

• Total voters

Cutty Calhoun

Charmed Virgo!
Reaction score
Reactions
1,598 84 115
Alleybux
mjb might have more hits but toni is the superior singer. it would be a good verzuz battle for sure!
If the vocals is whats more important then Chris Brown can’t even step on stage with Usher ...I’d do anything to hear Chris SING LIVE Ushers Catalogue ...he’d pretend to cry like he did when he was supposed to sing Man In The Mirror when really he just couldn’t hit the notes

SassyChic08

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
27,418 36 15
Alleybux
Girl, I got up when I saw you wrote CB. My body said hell no.

Girl bye. Chris ain't got a damn thing on Usher.

You must be joking...Have you seen them perform live? Chris is all over Usher.

I also said Robert K, but I guess you have no comment about that one.

SassyChic08

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
27,418 36 15
Alleybux
CB

American recording artist Chris Brown has released nine studio albums, ten mixtapes, fifty six singles(including one hundred and fifteen as a featured artist) and nineteen promotional singles. According to Billboard, Brown has the eighth most Hot 100entries on the chart with 101.[1] As of August 2020, he has achieved 51 top 40 entries on the Hot 100 and 16 top 10 entries.[2] Brown is the singer with the fifth-most consecutive weeks on the Hot 100 chart (161 weeks)

Usher

More than 23 million of his albums have been shipped in the United States with over 100 million total records sold worldwide,[1][2] making him one of the best selling music artists of all time. He has nine Billboard Hot 100 number-one singles (all as a lead artist) and 18 Hot 100 top-ten singles.

Can you please tell me why they can’t do a Verzuz? I’ll seriously wait. @Diggin da Shamy

BLKBAMBI

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
234,784 14,237 10,367
Alleybux
If the vocals is whats more important then Chris Brown can’t even step on stage with Usher ...I’d do anything to hear Chris SING LIVE Ushers Catalogue ...he’d pretend to cry like he did when he was supposed to sing Man In The Mirror when really he just couldn’t hit the notes
i super pissed when chris brown RUINED man in the mirror! one of the my michael jackson favorite songs. i was enjoying his performance then he broke out crying i was like wtf?! just sing the song!

i felt like a jerk being more concerned about hearing my favorite song covered rather than why chris was crying. you saying he did that on purpose because he couldn't hang? chris brown cant sing?

HeByHooray

Team Owner
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
33,037 80 47
Alleybux
No one wants to hear Mary's FLAT vocals. She has an 1/8th of an octave. Also Mary was NEVER on Toni's level. Toni was much much bigger than Mary. Mary's popularity grew later in her career.

MSpencer

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
153,553 1,032 173
Alleybux
Usher definitely has competition, but it would be more of a celebration than competition.
I would tune in to watch usher go Raymond vs Raymond. He could be on there by himself and just sing and give background to his tracks. There isn’t anyone comparable to him. The person he was pitted against back in the day was JT.

cinnamon buns

No Worries
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
145,768 10,682 23,893
Alleybux
People keep begging for Mary vs Mariah, but they shouldn’t even be in the same conversation. Musically, their sounds are different and it just doesn’t make sense. I’ve also seen people ask for Mary J vs Faith, but let’s be real...Mary would wash Faith with tide detergent and Downy fabric softener.

I think Mary vs Toni would be the best match! Toni entered the game in 1989 and Mary entered it in 1991.They were both on big labels, LaFace and Uptown. Both Toni and Mary have had successful singles literally in every decade since they came out. Yes, Mary has more singles, but they can go head to head in a Verzuz battle. Just think about it. If anyone on here has a connection to Swizz or Timb, please tell them to make this happen lol.

Toni:

Toni Braxton has sold over 67 million records worldwide, including 41 million albums. She has won seven Grammy Awards, nine Billboard Music Awards, seven AMAs, etc.

Studio Albums: 10
EPs: 5
Singles: 34

Some Hit Songs:
  • Love Shoulda Brought You Home
  • Just Be A Man About It
  • Seven Whole Days
  • Another Sad Love Song
  • Un-Break My Heart
  • You Mean The World to Me
  • Let it Flow
  • I Love Me Some Him
  • He Wasn’t Man Enough
  • Hurt You
  • Spanish Guitar

Mary

Mary has sold 50 million albums in the United States and 80 million records worldwide. Blige has won nine Grammys, four AMAs, twelve Billboard Music Awards, etc.

Studio Albums: 13
Singles: 83

Some Hit Songs:
  • All That I Can Say
  • Love Without Limit
  • Rainy Dayz
  • Real Love
  • Your Child
  • Just Fine
  • My Life
  • Not Gon Cry
  • No More Drama
  • Family Affair
  • Take Me As I Am
You do know that Faith Evans wrote some of Marys' songs right?

TennisKing

King Of All Tennis
Reaction score
Reactions
265,256 7,057 6,463
Alleybux
As a Toni Michelle Braxton stan I would probably say no to this one. The only reason is because while Self Titled, Secrets are considered classics and the Heat was good also Toni's momentum slowed down because of the lawsuit with Arista/Laface. She kind of lost valuable time and her relationship with Babyface suffered which is why her albums after the Heat didn't get as much attention from the label.

I think a better match would be Mariah and Mary but that's just my opinion. Mariah would probably edge Mary out but I think Mary has enough hits to compete with Mariah.

I think Faith might be a good choice also but I feel like Mary would win despite Faith having a lot of classics herself.

Justbeingnosy

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
39,014 1,055 452
Alleybux
I'd tune in but I feel like Mary just has so many more hits.

A more appropriate Verzuz would be Happy Mary vs. Sad Mary.

Unfortunately Sad Mary will win by a long shot.

The Breakthrough is my all time favorite though...but then “What’s the 411?” is a MF, BONAFIDE CLASSIC!!!

ToFreedom

Be best!
Reaction score
Reactions
81,770 1,586 752
Alleybux
I could actually see this.

They have a similar musical dichotomy that Monica and Brandy have— came out around the same time, in the same genre (R&B), fan base may overlap (auntie/ wake up and clean music) and same musical themes but cater to different sounds.

Much like after yesterday’s Versuz, I realized while I may know and like Monica’s music, I don’t really rock with her music like I do Brandys.

Toni and MJB could work, but MJB and Mariah should NEVER happen.

KC100

Team Owner
Time Out
Reaction score
Reactions
51,779 6,455 6,019
Alleybux
Im verzuz'ed out. All the pushing for fighting between brandy and monica has me exhausted

Xxxpensive

The Realest Housewife
Reaction score
Reactions
101,266 2,642 459
Alleybux
Im verzuz'ed out. All the pushing for fighting between brandy and monica has me exhausted

They definitely need to treat this last one as a season finale. Take a month or two off and come back with some fun matchups.

Caramel Delite

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
91,408 3,620 1,452
Alleybux
I feel like the only match for Mary would have been Lauryn Hill—had her career not taken such a drastic turn. She really has no equal. Toni Braxton is an icon but I see her as more of a Chante Moore with more way more hits and a greater impact. And the only matches for Mariah would be Whitney or Celine (and what kind of Verzuz would that be?!).

THIS!!! This is exactly what I was thinking. Mary vs Lauryn would've been more appropriate bc they sound similar but Lauryn didn't have the longevity unfortunately.

Toni vs Chante is a good match bc they came out around the same time and they're around the same age but Chante doesn't have more commercial hits like Toni.

Caramel Delite

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
91,408 3,620 1,452
Alleybux
CB

American recording artist Chris Brown has released nine studio albums, ten mixtapes, fifty six singles(including one hundred and fifteen as a featured artist) and nineteen promotional singles. According to Billboard, Brown has the eighth most Hot 100entries on the chart with 101.[1] As of August 2020, he has achieved 51 top 40 entries on the Hot 100 and 16 top 10 entries.[2] Brown is the singer with the fifth-most consecutive weeks on the Hot 100 chart (161 weeks)

Usher

More than 23 million of his albums have been shipped in the United States with over 100 million total records sold worldwide,[1][2] making him one of the best selling music artists of all time. He has nine Billboard Hot 100 number-one singles (all as a lead artist) and 18 Hot 100 top-ten singles.

Can you please tell me why they can’t do a Verzuz? I’ll seriously wait. @Diggin da Shamy

Because Usher can go back to 1993 and give you hits. Was Chris Brown even born yet around that time? Usher has waaaaay more hits than Chris. He has more experience so it wouldn't be fair to put someone who been in the game for 14 years against someone who's been in it for at least 27 years.

Caramel Delite

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
91,408 3,620 1,452
Alleybux
These artists don't have competition to do a Verzuz to me:

- Mary J. Blige

- Mariah

- Usher

- Janet Jackson

- Toni Braxton

You got to remember, a lot of artists from back in the day had their own style and had individuality. They didn't sound the same like these new singers do so it's hard to battle these specific artists.

daboywonder2002

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
11,852 482 455
Alleybux
Too many Mary stans in here. And I love Toni but it wouldn't be fair. For some reason, Mary, Jodeci and SWV have a pulse on black music like no other. When to me, Toni, Boyz 2 men and En vogue are just as good. But they just don't appeal to the black audiences the way Mary, Jodeci and SWV do.

Seekret Squirrel

Y’all just be saying anything online…
Reaction score
Reactions
264,937 7,116 430
Alleybux
Nah, I wanna see MJB vs Faith

I do too and I LOVEEE Faith but...Mary’s hip hop features and remixes alone shutdown Faith.

They can do a toss over One More Chance but as soon as that Mary and Meth (I’ll Be There For You/You’re All I Need) or Mary and Jay-Z (Can’t Knock The Hustle) drops it’s done...it’s not even fair lol

Mary can Verzuz her Solo vs Duets/Features and never get tired lol

I can see Faith Verzuz Kelly Price.

They can both SANG! They got the joint with Whitney. They have a good mix of solo RnB, Hip Hop features, duets, and gospel.

Whitney NG

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
13,441 381 401
Alleybux
How though? Toni is still making music. They’re both still making music. Toni entered the game a couple of years before Mary. Does Mary have more singles? Yes. Is that what you meant by longer? If so, then I agre.

Mary j Blige came out in 1992 and Toni debut in 1993.

Whitney NG

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
13,441 381 401
Alleybux
People keep begging for Mary vs Mariah, but they shouldn’t even be in the same conversation. Musically, their sounds are different and it just doesn’t make sense. I’ve also seen people ask for Mary J vs Faith, but let’s be real...Mary would wash Faith with tide detergent and Downy fabric softener.

I think Mary vs Toni would be the best match! Toni entered the game in 1989 and Mary entered it in 1991.They were both on big labels, LaFace and Uptown. Both Toni and Mary have had successful singles literally in every decade since they came out. Yes, Mary has more singles, but they can go head to head in a Verzuz battle. Just think about it. If anyone on here has a connection to Swizz or Timb, please tell them to make this happen lol.

Toni:

Toni Braxton has sold over 67 million records worldwide, including 41 million albums. She has won seven Grammy Awards, nine Billboard Music Awards, seven AMAs, etc.

Studio Albums: 10
EPs: 5
Singles: 34

Some Hit Songs:
  • Love Shoulda Brought You Home
  • Just Be A Man About It
  • Seven Whole Days
  • Another Sad Love Song
  • Un-Break My Heart
  • You Mean The World to Me
  • Let it Flow
  • I Love Me Some Him
  • He Wasn’t Man Enough
  • Hurt You
  • Spanish Guitar

Mary

Mary has sold 50 million albums in the United States and 80 million records worldwide. Blige has won nine Grammys, four AMAs, twelve Billboard Music Awards, etc.

Studio Albums: 13
Singles: 83

Some Hit Songs:
  • All That I Can Say
  • Love Without Limit
  • Rainy Dayz
  • Real Love
  • Your Child
  • Just Fine
  • My Life
  • Not Gon Cry
  • No More Drama
  • Family Affair
  • Take Me As I Am

Toni Braxton did not come out in 1989, she came out in 1993. I remember exactly when Breathe again dropped. Mary came out in 1992.

Whitney NG

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
13,441 381 401
Alleybux
What y'all think of Boys II Men vs Jodeci. En vogue vs SWV. 702 vs Xscape. Backstreet boys vs Nsync

ForumsStaySpilling

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
155,363 3,305 944
Alleybux
Love them both, but Toni does not have the hits to go against Mary J. Blige.

Love Shoulda Brought You Home
Give U My Heart
Another Sad Love Song
Breathe Again
You Mean the World to Me
I Belong to You
How Many Ways
You're Making Me High
Let It Flow
Un-Break My Heart
I Don't Want To
I Love Me Some Him
He Wasn't Man Enough
Just Be a Man About It
Yesterday

15 R&B hits for Toni

You Remind Me
Real Love
Reminisce
Sweet Thing
Love No Limit
You Don't Have to Worry
My Love
Be Happy
I'm Goin' Down
I'll Be There for You/You're All I Need to Get By
Not Gon' Cry
Love Is All We Need
I Can Love You
Everything
Seven Days
All That I Can Say
Deep Inside
Family Affair
No More Drama
Rainy Dayz
Love @ 1st Sight
Ooh!
Be Without You
Enough Cryin
Take Me as I Am
MJB da MVP
Runaway Love
IfULeave
Just Fine
Work That
I Am
Mr. Wrong

33 R&B hits for Mary.

Caramel Delite

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
91,408 3,620 1,452
Alleybux
Too many Mary stans in here. And I love Toni but it wouldn't be fair. For some reason, Mary, Jodeci and SWV have a pulse on black music like no other. When to me, Toni, Boyz 2 men and En vogue are just as good. But they just don't appeal to the black audiences the way Mary, Jodeci and SWV do.

Huh? What you talking bout? Black people love Toni, BIIM, and En Vogue just as much.

Caramel Delite

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
91,408 3,620 1,452
Alleybux
Love them both, but Toni does not have the hits to go against Mary J. Blige.

Love Shoulda Brought You Home
Give U My Heart
Another Sad Love Song
Breathe Again
You Mean the World to Me
I Belong to You
How Many Ways
You're Making Me High
Let It Flow
Un-Break My Heart
I Don't Want To
I Love Me Some Him
He Wasn't Man Enough
Just Be a Man About It
Yesterday

15 R&B hits for Toni

You Remind Me
Real Love
Reminisce
Sweet Thing
Love No Limit
You Don't Have to Worry
My Love
Be Happy
I'm Goin' Down
I'll Be There for You/You're All I Need to Get By
Not Gon' Cry
Love Is All We Need
I Can Love You
Everything
Seven Days
All That I Can Say
Deep Inside
Family Affair
No More Drama
Rainy Dayz
Love @ 1st Sight
Ooh!
Be Without You
Enough Cryin
Take Me as I Am
MJB da MVP
Runaway Love
IfULeave
Just Fine
Work That
I Am
Mr. Wrong

33 R&B hits for Mary.

Add to Toni:

Talking in His Sleep
Maybe
Deadwood
Long as I Live
Seven Whole Days
Please
Love Affair (not a single but I love it)
How Could an Angel Break My Heart
The Heat
Spanish Guitar
Why Should I Care (not a single but love it)
Do It

Toni got hits they're just different singers.

Oh yeah add My Life to Mary lol

divadoll777

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
6,236 264 37
Alleybux
I was trying to think of who would match up with MJB. Toni is a very worthy opponent. I would be there front and center.

liacashmere89

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
84,598 4,750 3,071
Alleybux
Toni.

Mary's had a longer career but Toni had more impact. Her 20 best is better than Mary's (if we're being honest)

Twyla

Goddess Incarnate
Reaction score
Reactions
29,020 1,125 503
Alleybux
If y'all really feel Mary is untouchable then she should battle Beyonce bc Beys catalogue and sounds would wash the majority of her peers.

I think a Bey vs Usher battle would be dope tho. Both got great R&B songs, Pop hits and longevity.

SpicyHeat

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
8,455 118 18
Alleybux
No one wants to hear Mary's FLAT vocals. She has an 1/8th of an octave. Also Mary was NEVER on Toni's level. Toni was much much bigger than Mary. Mary's popularity grew later in her career.
11wexit.gif

Dettol

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
27,797 797 269
Alleybux
Mary has triple (maybe even quadruple) the amount of hot songs that Toni has. I'll just leave it at that.

Remember y'all... not everyone: likes/wants to do Verzuz, likes the attention, likes the aftermath of Verzuz (memes, people all in their business, making fun of them etc.). And some artists are too big, or "think" they are too big to do the Verzuz thing.

You will never see Jay-Z, Mariah, Drake, and I don't even think Mary would even entertain this (for reasons mentioned above). I'd be very surprised if they do.