Quantcast

Visiting Old San Juan, PR next week! Any suggestions/recommendations/comments?

RichNatural

Wealth is silent, you gaudy label wh0res are poor
Reaction score
Reactions
279,623 7,251 820
Alleybux
I decided to take a solo trip to PR next week. It wasn't a solo trip initially. I was supposed to visit some family members (I'm not PR, but some of my fam is), but I decided to go solo after realizing I'd be happier going alone.

I'm staying in Old San Juan for 4 days next week. A little about me ... I love nightlife (I already booked a club/bar crawl) and I love good food. I also would love to hear some historical sites that are worth seeing. Thank you all! Can't wait to hear your comments.

Hooliganista

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
29,852 1,182 209
Alleybux
Never been, but one of my favorite youtube travel channel couples just went. They went via cruising.

Diane Nash

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
38,184 1,012 111
Alleybux
I decided to take a solo trip to PR next week. It wasn't a solo trip initially. I was supposed to visit some family members (I'm not PR, but some of my fam is), but I decided to go solo after realizing I'd be happier going alone.

I'm staying in Old San Juan for 4 days next week. A little about me ... I love nightlife (I already booked a club/bar crawl) and I love good food. I also would love to hear some historical sites that are worth seeing. Thank you all! Can't wait to hear your comments.
Great thread OP! Please come back and update us on your trip!

binchworm

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
11,654 1,073 72
Alleybux
The cueva ventana tour in arecibo was a super cool experience, i went a few years ago and I bought tickets in person and it was about ~$20, lasted maybe an hour.

original_open-uri20130511-12788-qp1ogu

4 days is a really short amount of time but if you have a full day free taking the ferry into culebra beach, would be fun if you like beaches. It's the prettiest beach i've ever been to, not crowded, and they sell yummy cheap meat skewers there

3bb0448c-cfb8-47e9-a8cb-f992c715b983.jpeg

I walked to the end of the beach were the reefs are and put on my snorkel and saw lots of fish and cool coral. Not as colorful and populated as it used to be in the past im sure but it was still a beautiful experience. No snorkeling tour needed! the water is calm and warm as a pool, super easy to swim in.

binchworm

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
11,654 1,073 72
Alleybux
also I wish I could remember the restaurants my puerto rican friend and her family took me to because they were delicioussss but I don't :( I do remember the street food kiosks she took me to!

greattt cheap food

HustleModeOn

Black dont crack Mocha dont melt Ebony dont erode
Reaction score
Reactions
57,107 5,770 4,794
Alleybux
Go to the fort - you will get beautiful pictures. Also if you want a knockoff purse hit up some of the street vendors. :whistle:

Tanya Turner

I can only be me
Reaction score
Reactions
54,300 190 38
Alleybux
I am going to PR next week too, but I go there every year LOL.
My favorite restaurant is Raices. Love it

Raices is a tourist trap, i like the look of it but i always avoid it because the food is pretty typical puerto rican food that i can get anywhere.

I would book a tour for one of the rum factories, they also do some mixology classes. You could also do one at a coffee farm, my friends don't drink so we are going to a coffee farm and i will have to do rum on another trip.

I would also recommending to just get out of old san juan for on one or two days, Puerto Rico has some amazing sights that a lot of people don't ever see because they stick in San Juan. There are many amazing beaches/waterfall all around the island.

Yunque is very popular , you could also visit one of the many bioluminescent bays to kayak. I have done it in croabas(fajardos) and is a nice experience, don't look at the pictures because they are photoshopped and will spoil the great experience it is.

To whoever mention the Luquillo kiosk, you could also do Pinones or las Croabas if you want to kayak the bio bay too. Is coastal street food which is delicious, my favorite is pastelillo de chapin (trunkfish empanada and the ones in fajardo/croabas are superior) and i don't even like fish.

You can also visit the small islands of Puerto Rico.

Last edited:

ChanelNo.5

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
35,635 863 758
Alleybux
Watch your back going out alone at night. A few family members of mine got robbed when we went there a few years ago.

wait times for food at restaurants are long. You’re on island time there.
Go to the beach! The water is beautiful! They have manatees

RichNatural

Wealth is silent, you gaudy label wh0res are poor
Reaction score
Reactions
279,623 7,251 820
Alleybux
Watch your back going out alone at night. A few family members of mine got robbed when we went there a few years ago.

wait times for food at restaurants are long. You’re on island time there.
Go to the beach! The water is beautiful! They have manatees
I am going to PR next week too, but I go there every year LOL.

Raices is a tourist trap, i like the look of it but i always avoid it because the food is pretty typical puerto rican food that i can get anywhere.

I would book a tour for one of the rum factories, they also do some mixology classes. You could also do one at a coffee farm, my friends don't drink so we are going to a coffee farm and i will have to do rum on another trip.

I would also recommending to just get out of old san juan for on one or two days, Puerto Rico has some amazing sights that a lot of people don't ever see because they stick in San Juan. There are many amazing beaches/waterfall all around the island.

Yunque is very popular , you could also visit one of the many bioluminescent bays to kayak. I have done it in croabas(fajardos) and is a nice experience, don't look at the pictures because they are photoshopped and will spoil the great experience it is.

To whoever mention the Luquillo kiosk, you could also do Pinones or las Croabas if you want to kayak the bio bay too. Is coastal street food which is delicious, my favorite is pastelillo de chapin (trunkfish empanada and the ones in fajardo/croabas are superior) and i don't even like fish.

You can also visit the small islands of Puerto Rico.
Go to the fort - you will get beautiful pictures. Also if you want a knockoff purse hit up some of the street vendors. :whistle:
Go to La Factoría there’s a cute speakeasy in the back.
also I wish I could remember the restaurants my puerto rican friend and her family took me to because they were delicioussss but I don't :( I do remember the street food kiosks she took me to!

greattt cheap food
The cueva ventana tour in arecibo was a super cool experience, i went a few years ago and I bought tickets in person and it was about ~$20, lasted maybe an hour.

original_open-uri20130511-12788-qp1ogu

4 days is a really short amount of time but if you have a full day free taking the ferry into culebra beach, would be fun if you like beaches. It's the prettiest beach i've ever been to, not crowded, and they sell yummy cheap meat skewers there

3bb0448c-cfb8-47e9-a8cb-f992c715b983.jpeg

I walked to the end of the beach were the reefs are and put on my snorkel and saw lots of fish and cool coral. Not as colorful and populated as it used to be in the past im sure but it was still a beautiful experience. No snorkeling tour needed! the water is calm and warm as a pool, super easy to swim in.
Thank you all so much for your suggestions and recommendations!

200.gif

Putting together my itinerary, and I was so lost, but now I have some direction. Thank you!!!