Votes: 57 28.5%

• Total voters

Jojo Jacob

If I'm a drink, your'e my lemon squeeze
Reaction score
Reactions
1,893 170 101
Alleybux
Brandy is the better vocalist but I prefer Aaliyah’s voice and tone.It’s honestly about who you prefer, because both are icons who had a huge impact on R&B.

Pikachu.

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
14,877 1,148 1,222
Alleybux
Brandy is the better vocalist but I prefer Aaliyah’s voice and tone.It’s honestly about who you prefer, because both are icons who had a huge impact on R&B.
Both the One I Gave My Heart to and “Have you ever” were written by Diane Warren. TOIGMHT is a much better vocal performance in comparison.

MBEE07

it’s all love.
Reaction score
Reactions
43,524 923 281
Alleybux
When I was younger I would’ve definitely said Aaliyah. The older I got the more I started to appreciate Brandy’s voice. So Brandy would be my pick. I do like Aaliyah’s voice though.

Pikachu.

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
14,877 1,148 1,222
Alleybux
Brandy.

Monica and Brandy were the vocalists which is why they did the duet.
Umm no.

they did the duet because there were rumors of a real life fued and both were dropping albums at the same time, Aaliyah was on hiatus filming blockbuster FILMS. Brandy literally tried to beef with Aaliyah and she paid it dust. Aaliyah never collabed often, and she didnt need to.

Jojo Jacob

If I'm a drink, your'e my lemon squeeze
Reaction score
Reactions
1,893 170 101
Alleybux
Both the One I Gave My Heart to and “Have you ever” were written by Diane Warren. TOIGMHT is a much better vocal performance in comparison.
I never said Aaliyah didn’t have a good voice, I just said that Brandy is a more respected vocalist. As a huge Aaliyah fan, I am keeping it real.
Many R&B artists today are influenced by Brandys vocals. Aaliyah gets praised for her sound and style which has influenced many r&b artists today.

DivaLasVegas82

Georgia Peach
Reaction score
Reactions
674,892 21,165 21,868
Alleybux
Brandy has a better technical voice, but Aaliyah’s voice was perfect for Missy and Timbs productions. I couldn’t see anyone else singing the songs they produced except Aaliyah.

Pikachu.

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
14,877 1,148 1,222
Alleybux
I never said Aaliyah didn’t have a good voice, I just said that Brandy is a more respected vocalist. As a huge Aaliyah fan, I am keeping it real.
Many R&B artists today are influenced by Brandys vocals. Aaliyah gets praised for her sound and style which has influenced many r&b artists today.
Brandy’s voice is more respected because got to live past 22 and she’s still alive today to improve, 90% of Aaliyah’s discography was of her as a child. there’s also a stigma against Aaliyah’s voice because she’s more known for her laidback vocals, her power ballads are not as known. Doesnt change the fact that the one I gave my heart to is still a more vocally challenging song than have you ever or any song Brandy recorded at that point.

Aaliyah has vocally influenced artists as well, Brandy included. She was sneaking into Aaliyah’s studio sessions taking notes behind her back.

Last edited:

AllyMin

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Reactions
9 1
Alleybux
I love Aaliyah down, but Brandy has more range with her voice.

cyberglam

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
2,907 135 123
Alleybux
The utter disrespect of comparing Brandy the vocalist to Aaliyah. Y’all give that woman way too much

Pikachu.

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
14,877 1,148 1,222
Alleybux
The utter disrespect of comparing Brandy the vocalist to Aaliyah. Y’all give that woman way too much
I guess Brandy gives her too much because her daughter’s first single was literally a tribute to Aaliyah and Brandy said she chose That song for Syrai because of how much Brandy
always loved Aaliyah’s voice.

I dont know why its so hard to accept Aaliyah was a vocalist when not only receipts are there, but the co signs as well.

SaucyMcBlast

Like peroxide, I stay deep in the cut.
Reaction score
Reactions
28,837 1,402 1,711
Alleybux
This thread hella funny. Y’all give Aaliyah a lot for being a RK victim and a member of the afterlife. Cause take away those factors and AINT NOBODY saying Aaliyah sing better than no damn Brandy. Hell wrong with y’all? Lmaooooooooo.

RIP Aaliyah. Y’all need to leave this lady alone and let her rest.

SaucyMcBlast

Like peroxide, I stay deep in the cut.
Reaction score
Reactions
28,837 1,402 1,711
Alleybux
Comparing them vocally is like comparing apples to pears. Different beasts totally. I liked both of their voices for different reasons. I am glad that people have woken up to how great and unique Brandy's voice is. Because when I was a child, people were constantly saying she couldn't sing and Monica was the better vocalist. How times change....
That’s cause Monica always sounded like a grown ass church lady. Brandy sounded like a teenager who voice was maturing. Even so Brandy was still a better singer than Aaliyah.

Pikachu.

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
14,877 1,148 1,222
Alleybux
This thread hella funny. Y’all give Aaliyah a lot for being a RK victim and a member of the afterlife. Cause take away those factors and AINT NOBODY saying Aaliyah sing better than no damn Brandy. Hell wrong with y’all? Lmaooooooooo.

RIP Aaliyah. Y’all need to leave this lady alone and let her rest.
What does rkelly have to do with vocal ability. Brandy was a victim of wanya and fredo star what’s your point. Brandy herself was a fan of Aaliyah’s voice. Make it make sense

Last edited:

Pikachu.

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
14,877 1,148 1,222
Alleybux
That’s cause Monica always sounded like a grown ass church lady. Brandy sounded like a teenager who voice was maturing. Even so Brandy was still a better singer than Aaliyah.
Except she wasnt. I have receipts, not biased opinions.

Aaliyah is not only outbelting Brandy, but also displaying more vocal range, Hitting those upper high notes with EASE that Brandy always struggled with (she’s better now though)

Id love to hear a fair, logical reason Brandy was so superior without pulling BS out your ass. Aaliyah even sounds more grown than Brandy who sounded like a pre teen, but y’all got it.

Like I said, the stigma of Aaliyah’s voice is based on hate and ignorance. Your faves, legends, and critics loved her voice. Y’all gotta accept it at some point. Youngest black woman to sing at the oscars for a reason. Dont EVER forget it.

Attachments

• AEC5F8B1-47E8-4F45-B6D1-5435430945C2.jpeg
    AEC5F8B1-47E8-4F45-B6D1-5435430945C2.jpeg
    152.8 KB · Views: 14
  • FA26C679-68AC-4B6C-AD45-AC22E5853FA4.jpeg
    FA26C679-68AC-4B6C-AD45-AC22E5853FA4.jpeg
    157.5 KB · Views: 14
  • B938BEB1-7A5C-4AF7-B6CD-B4E66DC0FB44.jpeg
    B938BEB1-7A5C-4AF7-B6CD-B4E66DC0FB44.jpeg
    135.9 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

NewAgenda

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
94,143 4,490 4,365
Alleybux
Umm no.

they did the duet because there were rumors of a real life fued and both were dropping albums at the same time, Aaliyah was on hiatus filming blockbuster FILMS. Brandy literally tried to beef with Aaliyah and she paid it dust. Aaliyah never collabed often, and she didnt need to.

Again, only Monica who was the superior vocalist and Brandy with a great tone could do a duet because they both could sang. Aaliyah could sing, but could not sang. Yes, Brandy and Monica had a rumored beef but they both could sang. Why would you call up Aaliyah who couldn’t respond back vocally in the same manner as Brandy? Only Monica and Brandy could go tit for tat in the booth vocally. Aaliyah didn’t have the voice to be doing vocal duets.

Pikachu.

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
14,877 1,148 1,222
Alleybux
Again, only Monica who was the superior vocalist and Brandy with a great tone could do a duet because they both could sang. Aaliyah could sing, but could not sang. Yes, Brandy and Monica had a rumored beef but they both could sang. Why would you call up Aaliyah who couldn’t respond back vocally in the same manner as Brandy? Only Monica and Brandy could go tit for tat in the booth vocally. Aaliyah didn’t have the voice to be doing vocal duets.
Again, they did the duet because of a real life fued, NOT because of vocal ability. They didnt call Aaliyah because she was on a musical hiatus and from a marketing standpoint Brandy and Monica had a real life fued while also dropping albums at the same time so financially it made sense to capitalize off of it. Them “not calling Aaliyah because she didnt have vocals” is pulled straight out of your delusional ass and from your own ignorant narrative. Stop it. Aaliyah never wanted to be boxed in with them anyways, that’s why she always thought outside of the box musically and Brandy and Monica were always behind her taking notes, Duet with them for what? She’s their blueprint.

And please humor me by explaining what on the boy is mine was soooooo complicated for Aaliyah to do vocally when she sings WAYY higher on the one I gave my heart to/ Journey To the Past and had several other power ballads of her “sanging?” Come with facts and not biased, one sided ass points. LSA is obsessed with proving some false narrative about Aaliyah without receipts. C30FBEB4-DD54-4441-A521-9BFC8FB31133.jpeg

Last edited:

NewAgenda

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
94,143 4,490 4,365
Alleybux
Again, they did the duet because of a real life fued, NOT because of vocal ability. They didnt call Aaliyah because she was on a musical hiatus and from a marketing standpoint Brandy and Monica had a real life fued while also dropping albums at the same time so financially it made sense to capitalize off of it. Them “not calling Aaliyah because she didnt have vocals” is pulled straight out of your delusional ass and from your own ignorant narrative. Stop it. Aaliyah never wanted to be boxed in with them anyways, that’s why she always thought outside of the box musically and Brandy and Monica were always behind her taking notes, Duet with them for what? She’s their blueprint.

And please humor me by explaining what on the boy is mine was soooooo complicated for Aaliyah to do vocally when she sings WAYY higher on the one I gave my heart to/ Journey To the Past and had several other power ballads of her “sanging?” Come with facts and not biased, one sided ass points. LSA is obsessed with proving some false narrative about Aaliyah without receipts. View attachment 2690193

Again, Monica and Brandy could sang. Whitney and Madonna weren’t hopping on a song because of a rumored feud.

Last edited:

Pikachu.

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
14,877 1,148 1,222
Alleybux
Again, Monica and Brandy could sang. Whitney and Madonna weren’t hopping on a song because of a rumored feud.
Again, so could Aaliyah. Whitney and Madonna are entirely different planets, Brandy and Monica were both black teen singers so there’s a parallel there.. Make it make sense.

I already proved why Monica was chosen for the song.
still waiting for you to explain what’s so complex about the composition in “the boy is mine” that Aaliyah couldnt do. Prove you aint talking from your ass.
Ill wait. Because Brandy is a “sanger” and Aaliyah isnt yet Aaliyah could belt stronger, hit more notes with ease, and her tone was just as gorgeous. Brandy once again, chose an Aaliyah remake for her daughter’s first single because Brandy was such a fan of Aaliyah’s vocal ability. Facts only. Waiting on yours and not half assed points that arent even logical.

Last edited:

NewAgenda

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
94,143 4,490 4,365
Alleybux
Again, so could Aaliyah. Whitney and Madonna are entirely different planets, Brandy and Monica were both black teen singers so there’s a parallel there.. Make it make sense.

still waiting for you to explain what’s so complex about the composition in “the boy is mine” that Aaliyah couldnt do. Prove you aint talking from your ass.
Ill wait.

A musical hiatus is not a good excuse when she released Are You That Somebody in 1998. Again, Aaliyah did not have the vocals to respond back like Monica. Whitney and Madonna were both popstars. Whitney was not in the Mary J. Blige or Faith Evans territory. Christina and Britney also never collaborated on a song because of a rumored feud. Brandy and Monica could both sang and that’s why they did the duet. I love Aaliyah but she wasn’t a vocal beast and was the weakest voice out of the 3. She could not pull off a duet. Monica was sanging which is why Usher and Brandy did duets with her. Miss Thang added sass and vocals.

NewAgenda

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
94,143 4,490 4,365
Alleybux

Ill wait. Because Brandy is a “sanger” and Aaliyah isnt yet Aaliyah could belt stronger, hit more notes with ease, and her tone was just as gorgeous. Brandy once again, chose an Aaliyah remake for her daughter’s first single because Brandy was such a fan of Aaliyah’s vocal ability. Facts only. Waiting on yours and not half assed points that arent even logical.

Aubrey O’Day can also belt. Your point?

Pikachu.

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
14,877 1,148 1,222
Alleybux
A musical hiatus is not a good excuse when she released Are You That Somebody in 1998. Again, Aaliyah did not have the vocals to respond back like Monica. Whitney and Madonna were both popstars. Whitney was not in the Mary J. Blige or Faith Evans territory. Christina and Britney also never collaborated on a song because of a rumored feud. Brandy and Monica could both sang and that’s why they did the duet. I love Aaliyah but she wasn’t a vocal beast and was the weakest voice out of the 3. She could not pull off a duet. Monica was sanging which is why Usher and Brandy did duets with her. Miss Thang added sass and vocals.
Are You That Somebody is a soundtrack single, not a full album promo run. The Boy is Mine was the first single for Both Brandy and Monica’s albums in 1998. Aaliyah had no album in 1998, so why would she waste her time on a song that she would benefit the least from? You make no sense, that Aaliyah hate is hurting your common sense. Typical

again, you’re projecting your own weird stan bµllsh!t making the song about vocals when the song was made because of a real life beef that they chose to capitalize off of. I proved that, you proved nothing but a fairytale narrative. Keep up. You want Aaliyah to waste time to promote a duet thats not even going to be on her album but will be on theirs to prove to YOU she can “ sang” when she already had her own ballads that outsang it? A joke.

Cant be too weak of a vocalist when she’s hitting higher notes on this song than either Monica or Brandy did on TBIM. So again, what would be so hard for Aaliyah to do vocally on TBIM? You’ve been quoting me all day and still cant answer this, just another Aaliyah hating troll like the rest. Pathetic.

Last edited:

NewAgenda

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
94,143 4,490 4,365
Alleybux
Are You That Somebody is a soundtrack single, not a full album promo run. The Boy is Mine was the first single for Both Brandy and Monica’s albums in 1998. Aaliyah had no album in 1998, so why would she waste her time on a song that she would benefit the least from? You make no sense, that Aaliyah hate is hurting your common sense. Typical

again, you’re projecting your own weird stan bµllsh!t making the song about vocals when the song was made because of a real life beef that they chose to capitalize off of. I proved that, you proved nothing but a fairytale narrative. Keep up. You want Aaliyah to waste time to promote a duet thats not even going to be on her album but will be on theirs to prove to YOU she can “ sang” when she already had her own ballads that outsang it? A joke.

Cant be too weak of a vocalist when she’s hitting higher notes on this song than either Monica or Brandy did on TBIM. So again, what would be so hard for Aaliyah to do vocally on TBIM? You’ve been quoting me all day and still cant answer this, just another Aaliyah hating troll like the rest. Pathetic.

She is a weak singer. Point blank period. It was not intended to be Monica’s lead single. You need to keep up that Aaliyah did not duet well with singers, so she never would’ve been asked even if she was more rivals with Brandy than Monica.

Pikachu.

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
14,877 1,148 1,222
Alleybux
She is a weak singer. Point blank period. It was not intended to be Monica’s lead single. You need to keep up that Aaliyah did not duet well with singers, so she never would’ve been asked even if she was more rivals with Brandy than Monica.
So no explanation, just deflections from your ass and illogical points. Got it.
Can y’all send a better troll next time that can actually articulate their points without me backing them into a corner? Thanks.

NewAgenda

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
94,143 4,490 4,365
Alleybux
So no explanation, just deflections from your ass and illogical points. Got it.
Can y’all send a better troll next time that can actually articulate their points without me backing them into a corner? Thanks.

I don’t get backed into corners. I’m also not into writing dissertations on a forum. You haven’t proven a single point. Aaliyah was in the same category as Mya and Ciara vocally.

Pikachu.

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
14,877 1,148 1,222
Alleybux
I don’t get backed into corners.
You’re backed and that’s that. Going back and forth with no receipts, just made up narratives about a hypothetical duet that never happened. You gotta swing better, sis. The lowest is what?

NewAgenda

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
94,143 4,490 4,365
Alleybux
You’re backed and that’s that. Going back and forth with no receipts, just made up narratives about a hypothetical duet that never happened. You gotta swing better, sis. The lowest is what?

Your receipts are Wikipedia, so I can’t be bothered with you.

Pikachu.

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
14,877 1,148 1,222
Alleybux
Your receipts are Wikipedia, so I can’t be bothered with you.
Wikipedia is more accurate than it used to be. You cant just write anything on there anymore, everything that’s stated on a wiki page needs to be backed by a source.

so again, where’s your receipts and not your deluded fairy tales?

TheReal_Ness

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
39,534 727 457
Alleybux
There has to be some level of trolling in here if folks really think The Boy is Mine is a song that calls for superb vocal ability. Because if that were the case, Deborah Cox and Whitney should have sang that instead of Same Script, Different Cast. Just fµck!ng stupid. It made perfect sense for Brandy and Monica to duet not only due to the feud, but also because they appealed to the same demographic. Aaliyah was the edgy, alternative R&b girl. She would have never done something so basic, no shade.

This is the same girl who was covering the Isley Brothers at 15 to the point where folks automatically associate that song with her because she covered it beautifully. Cut it out.

NewAgenda

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
94,143 4,490 4,365
Alleybux
Aaliyah’s voice was not anointed. Goonica ate on Slow Jam and Brandy can adlib you under the table. Aaliyah could not.

Ain’t nobody say that TBIM was challenging, but you have to be a great singer to give that song so much flavor. Aaliyah was saved by production. Let’s stop acting like she stood out from the rest when Brandy and Goonica could sing circles around her. They were the real stars. Aaliyah always started super low when she sung live because she could not find the note.

NewAgenda

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
94,143 4,490 4,365
Alleybux
Wikipedia is more accurate than it used to be. You cant just write anything on there anymore, everything that’s stated on a wiki page needs to be backed by a source.

so again, where’s your receipts and not your deluded fairy tales?

Give me an outstanding Aaliyah vocal because all I’ve been seeing are studio vocals. Anyone can sound good in the studio.

Pikachu.

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
14,877 1,148 1,222
Alleybux
Aaliyah’s voice was not anointed. Goonica ate on Slow Jam and Brandy can adlib you under the table. Aaliyah could not.

Ain’t nobody say that TBIM was challenging, but you have to be a great singer to give that song so much flavor. Aaliyah was saved by production. Let’s stop acting like she stood out from the rest when Brandy and Goonica could sing circles around her. They were the real stars. Aaliyah always started super low when she sung live because she could not find the note.
And Aaliyah could hit high notes with ease that the other 2 couldnt. Whats your point.

Aaliyah was saved by production? “At your best” had minimal ass production and an acapella intro and was a smash hit and is constantly sampled and the isley’s themselves stated she sung it better. That’s not production, that’s talent. You need more people.

Aaliyah sung low live because she had the vocal range to allow it and it gave her better control while dancing, and she was still able to scale back up to her head voice and slay the high notes. Standing still she was a match for them. Im crying at you trying to drag Aaliyah for singing too low while defending Brandy who stayed there and struggled to ascend the high notes. Make it make sense. But Aaliyah haters never do lol

Again, there is NOTHING thats on TBIM that Aaliyah couldnt do vocally and you still havent proven that wrong.

Pikachu.

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
14,877 1,148 1,222
Alleybux
Give me an outstanding Aaliyah vocal because all I’ve been seeing are studio vocals. Anyone can sound good in the studio.
I posted vocals all through this thread that debunked your silly ass claims, you’re gonna have to catch up and do the same niece

Trending Threads

News Alley

Ask LSA

The Lounge

General Alley

Top Bottom